Topic Options
#295968 - 01/05/08 09:47 PM Science as a subject
Tarasco Offline

Loc: Quebec
I see that there isnt a forum specific to science, if i missed it than i apologize. Although i do see that there is one on Technology which holds very interesting posts which i throughly enjoyed and going trhough them made me think of this: I would like to offer having a section for science as i am not only an enthusiast but a undergraduate student of science in the realm of engineering which covers various subjects such as physics, chemistry, mathematics, a little of biology, ect... All these have great interesting histories, important people (plato, pythagoras, einstein, tesla, newton, galileo...), and current advancements such as the string theory being called the ultimate theory and the answer to Einstein's problem he was working on his death bed. I believe this could generate many interesting posts and a chance for all of us to maybe even learn more. I also believe that science is key to a well rounded satanist because it explains and discovers the universe we live in and calls for logic at all times.

Edited by Tarasco (01/06/08 01:46 AM)

#296010 - 01/06/08 05:23 AM Re: Science as a subject [Re: Tarasco]
Adveser Offline

Loc: California
There used to be one, It got moved downstairs years ago (with the politics forum) if memory serves

#296140 - 01/06/08 05:48 PM Re: Science as a subject [Re: Tarasco]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

Loc: PA
You are certainly welcome to start a suitable thread in the technology forum. If it garners enough attention, Magister Ventrue may create an upstairs subject based upon need and interest. If not, he won't.

#296168 - 01/06/08 07:48 PM Re: Science as a subject [Re: Tarasco]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
The "Technology Ideas & Help" section was, if I remember right, originally a "Science & Technology" section. But the far majority of posts ended up being requests for computer help. So the thread was appropriately renamed.

I'm all up for a science section, so long as discussion stays on science, and not whining from pseudo-science believers.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#296171 - 01/06/08 07:52 PM Re: Science as a subject [Re: Tarasco]
Tarasco Offline

Thank you very much for the information, i'll see if i can get something started. It should be a good challenge.

#296244 - 01/07/08 08:08 AM Re: Science as a subject [Re: Tarasco]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I asked the same question, privately. When I did not receive a response, it soon became obvious why…the General Discussion forum is open enough to handle such topics. If they stray into confusion, they are locked or deleted. If they are deemed more appropriate elsewhere, they are moved. Some topics are reserved for members only. This is off topic…but it relates…I have found that if I made such inquiries, and receive no answer, a few minutes of thought always reveals the answer. Look through the General Discussion…there are several threads on the subjects that you are interested in.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#296261 - 01/07/08 09:58 AM Re: Science as a subject [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Tarasco Offline

I understand what you say but i will still try nonetheless. The outcome will be important to me. Also if there are topics for art, music, movies, TV and humor why not science?

Edited by Tarasco (01/08/08 12:07 AM)

#297517 - 01/11/08 11:40 AM Re: Science as a subject [Re: Tarasco]
Happy Birthday Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
What kind of engineering are you studying?

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#297518 - 01/11/08 11:41 AM Re: Science as a subject [Re: Bill_M]
CoS Warlock

>>I'm all up for a science section, so long as discussion stays on science, and not whining from pseudo-science believers.

You must be talking about me.

Of course, I don't really whine about it.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#297525 - 01/11/08 12:00 PM Re: Science as a subject [Re: Discipline]
Tarasco Offline

im studying civil engineering 1st year and i also graduated from a highly science focused high school. part of it was public though. Why do u consider urself a pseudo scientist? i see that u do have Tesla there, incredible mind!!

What about you are you studying anything in the sciences?

Edited by Tarasco (01/11/08 12:01 PM)

#297566 - 01/11/08 01:22 PM Re: Science as a subject [Re: Tarasco]
CoS Warlock

Civil engineering is impressive. The cool things those students get to do sometimes make me jealous.

I am just finishing up my electrical engineering. I do have a very strong academic background for mainstream science.

>>Why do u consider yourself a pseudo scientist?

No. My comment was cheeky. I follow both mainstream and nonmainstream science. The nonmainstream or alternative science that I investigate often gets labeled as "pseudo" by those who are in mainstream. Often times they have never even taken a serious look into the subjects or flat out reject them with hostility. I can understand their unwillingness, because there are a lot of fruity loops out there. However, if something seems feasible and has enough merit from people who have distinguished themselves for being intelligent suggesting something, it should be considered and not outright rejected based on personal and professional bias.

It is that whole stubbornness thing that peaks its nasty head from time to time. Granted, these people spend careers and life times devoting hard work to their fields, but stubbornness born out of narrow-mindedness is unbecoming of a good scientist. I can be one stubborn bastard, especially towards non-science academics. But I try my best not to be.

Tesla is my absolute favorite engineer. The man was ahead of his time, and many would consider his work to be "pseudo" science.

#298635 - 01/15/08 01:08 PM Re: Science as a subject [Re: Discipline]
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
In mainstream science, the basis of the scientific method is being able to prove experiments – as that exemplifies their worth to the rest of the scientific community. A paper could never be submitted to a scientific journal with a note saying ''I just know this goes this way, but I just cannot prove it with the technology available to me''. Very often it happens that things that are ''common sense'' have to go through that scientific grinding machine which will say whether or not that thing is scientifically valid or not.

Many years ago, there was an alchemist who actually believed that playing Mozart to chemical reactions would make them run better. And it seemed that they did at that time. ''Higher'' technology was unavailable to that scientist at that specific time. I believe that he said that Beethoven made them run slower he he

Science is a religion like any other. Why? Because it is doing the same thing as religion does – trying to figure out what it is, closed up in a tin box. If you cannot actually see WHAT is inside the box – you can merely make assumptions like – it rattles when you shake it, it's not so heavy and things like that. The only possible difference between contemporary science and contemporary religion is that science seems to be more open to revolutions (remember the quantum theory). And as human is quite a curious creature, has a tendency to be complicated and just CANNOT sit down and be happy – things just NEED to be explained.

Be it Zeus riding his mighty chariot through the sky or electricity coming from electrically charged water particles – thunder and lightning are explained all the same, and for that (very) short moment – the human is happy ;\)

#298642 - 01/15/08 01:39 PM Re: Science as a subject [Re: LightAngel]
LightAngel Offline

( This reply is to Evil Eve, her post disappeared, but I already created a reply, so I hope it's ok I post it )

Something being a fact is a highly flexible term. No human has ever physically seen an atom, or it's smaller parts to the range of muons and leptons.

Maybe you should read some subatomic particle physics to see how far the division of matter goes. One can only assume that the atom is there through observation of it. It is like sitting in nature and observing monkey playing on a tree.

You can observe what they do and how they act – but that gives you no information whatsoever about WHO the monkeys are. These facts in today's science are relative, to one another firstly, and to the scientist as well. Secondly to the scientific community. They are in their core – relative, and assumption, only and merely comparable to the absolute truth, which, as it quite obvious, the human has not yet acquired.

Observing nature with a piece of paper and pencil – that is a scientist. Going into the mind of nature – that – is a God.

Today's science is a superficial observation at best, not more. Do not misunderstand me, as the theory of the Virgin Mary has not spawned the MP3 player into the world, science did. So it is a quite useful thing, this science, but one should NEVER confuse it with the absolute truth.

That which is true, does not change through the years, it does not depend on the evolution of humans or their knowledge. Science does change.

#300289 - 01/21/08 11:57 PM Re: Science as a subject [Re: Tarasco]
LightAngel Offline

And a science section would be great, however, we do debate science in lots of topics already, so I don't know if it's really needed \:\)

#300863 - 01/23/08 03:42 PM Re: Science as a subject [Re: Tarasco]
Darkahn Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I support the idea.

Undercroft

Forum Stats
12281 Members
73 Forums
43880 Topics
404442 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements