Topic Options
#301365 - 01/25/08 03:15 PM enochian magic and doctor lavey
dvlchild Offline

Loc: austin texas
i became aware of the enochian language/magic through some thelemites years ago and researched the golden dawn versions of the calls. after reading tsb's chapter on threory and practice and visiting the cos website im curious to know,considering the doctors views on white light magic what was his inspiration for choosing the enochian languge and the keys to be re-written for a more satanic age? was it purely grammatical and tonal or some thing more sinister? thanks for your help! just noticed the typo in my subject...sorry

Edited by tommy dvlchild (01/25/08 05:22 PM)

#301382 - 01/25/08 05:55 PM Re: enochian magic and doctor lavey [Re: dvlchild]
dvlchild Offline

I admit it i'm a boob! not only did i misspell the good doctors name i managed to screw up the word theory i should not have tried to type a question while my boss wasn't looking. i will no longer hurry through my posts thinking only of the response! again thanks for your help!

#301383 - 01/25/08 05:59 PM Re: enochian magic and doctor lavey [Re: dvlchild]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Dr. LaVey explains his reasons for using Enochian in The Satanic Bible.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#301414 - 01/25/08 07:22 PM Re: enochian magic and doctor lavey [Re: Svengali]
dvlchild Offline

Thank you for your response magister! I did go back and reread the chapters on both Theory and Practice,as well as The Enochian Language and the Enochian Keys,as well i revisted the COS website and reviewed the Pronunciation of the Enochian Language. While i find many references to the quality of the words, as well as the tremendous magical effect (these have been noted by many magicians) i find no specific answer as to why Enochian was chosen as opposed to another language.It is not my intent to try and find a "chink in the armour" only curiosity for the mythos surrounding not only the language but its use throughout the ages for magical purposes. Again thank you for your response!

#301432 - 01/25/08 08:32 PM Re: enochian magic and doctor lavey [Re: dvlchild]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
 Originally Posted By: tommy dvlchild
i find many references to the quality of the words, as well as the tremendous magical effect (these have been noted by many magicians) i find no specific answer as to why Enochian was chosen as opposed to another language.

Perhaps you are looking for more explaination than is required.

Note in THE SATANIC RITUALS how many languages are used; Enochian, French, German, Latin, etc.

Another thing I would point out, not in relation to anything specifically you have said, is that Dr. LaVey took far fewer liberties with the original Dee material than either Crowley or the Golden Dawn, both of whom made elaborate (and often absurd) embellishments that find no justification in the original Dee material.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#301440 - 01/25/08 08:43 PM Re: enochian magic and doctor lavey [Re: Svengali]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Originally Posted By: Svengali

Another thing I would point out, not in relation to anything specifically you have said, is that Dr. LaVey took far fewer liberties with the original Dee material than either Crowley or the Golden Dawn, both of whom made elaborate (and often absurd) embellishments that find no justification in the original Dee material.

I will second this. That is precisely what I found after after reviewing the material and "visions" provided by Dee. Well worth looking into.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#301443 - 01/25/08 08:50 PM Additionally... [Re: Phineas]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...

#301470 - 01/25/08 10:16 PM Re: Additionally... [Re: Nemo]
dvlchild Offline

Thank you all for your insight!...perhaps ive spent to much time looking at the frame to see the picture, hopefully with more study and an open mind i will be able to integrate the two! thank you again for your response!!

#301559 - 01/26/08 10:45 AM Re: Additionally... [Re: Nemo]
DancingintheDark Offline

That article hits the nail on the head. It reminds me of when I was a teenager, and trawled my way through so called "magical" grimoires; the works of Abramelin the Mage, the Key of Solomon etc... searching for something of value. It was like looking for gold in a coal mine, with very occasional glimpses of anything of worth. LaVey's take on Crowley is priceless, a very succinct observation. I feel he was a bit harsh on Eliphas Levi though, but only because I kind of enjoyed Dogma & Ritual. I found it a bit more engrossing than others of its ilk, though admittedly not enough to make a lasting impression. I quite liked his baphomet drawing too.

#301563 - 01/26/08 11:00 AM Re: Additionally... [Re: DancingintheDark]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
If you want to talk about useful Grimoires, I have one of magical proportions in my posession.

Passed down through two generations, it is a mystical tome of mastery.

The Betty Crocker cook book. That's right. Over three decades old, it can teach even the most useless peon to be a veritable wizard of homecookery. Written in the crude tongue of english, the words within it's bindings are said to contain great power...the power to make stuffed peppers, and boil eggs properly.

#301573 - 01/26/08 11:50 AM Re: Additionally... [Re: TheDegenerate]
DancingintheDark Offline

Originally Posted By: Phosis
If you want to talk about useful Grimoires, I have one of magical proportions in my posession.

Passed down through two generations, it is a mystical tome of mastery.

The Betty Crocker cook book. That's right. Over three decades old, it can teach even the most useless peon to be a veritable wizard of homecookery. Written in the crude tongue of english, the words within it's bindings are said to contain great power...the power to make stuffed peppers, and boil eggs properly.

Now that truly is magic! Sounds like I could do with a copy... cooking is not my forte. \:\)

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406363 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements