Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#301502 - 01/26/08 03:43 AM Is emotion a strength or a weakness?
Seeker Of Wisdom Offline

Loc: Buckholts, Tx
I find that in the face of criminals and the deserving I am seen as a monster, as I lack certain emotional qualities that people feel all human "beings" deserve, and that they deserve the same quality of emotions. I'm sorry but if a man kills a child I feel more anger towards him than if he stole a pack of gum. If he killed my child my wrath would be so great I could forsake my own life to destroy his. However, my emotions are like a pendulum.
I find that when I hear the sweet laughter of my daughter my heart burns to such a degree with joy, that I find myself welling up with tears. When I see any child suffer, though I know that at times it is neccassary for stratification to commence, it tears me up inside. To see a child given the opportunity to indulge, to experience, makes me happy.
But what I want to know is how much emotion is a bad thing? It may make me seem weak, but I find myself crying at movies. Is it normal by any sense to find yourself bursting with emotion, so much that you have a hard time finding enough outlets to get it all out. I know that Satanism embraces emotions unlike the "cold fish" out there, but is there a point where you have to much emotion? Does anybody else find themselves in this situation?

"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere."
Groucho Marx

"Sex is legal, Selling is legal, why isn't selling sex legal?"
George Carlin

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"~ The Addams Family Crede

"We all have different desires and needs, but if we don't discover what we want from ourselves and what we stand for, we will live passively and unfulfilled."
Bill Watterson

#301505 - 01/26/08 04:10 AM Re: Is emotion a stength or a weakness? [Re: Seeker Of Wisdom]
Valek Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Non-local
The short answer would be that it depends on how you use them, really. It can go both ways, and as it is with a great many things, is all a matter of perspective.

#301507 - 01/26/08 05:06 AM Re: Is emotion a stength or a weakness? [Re: Seeker Of Wisdom]
shadowraven213 Offline

I find myself in the same situations, I too feel extremes of emotion and I allow myself to do so as I am human and we feel emotions so its only natural.

Conversely there are times when I will not allow myself to feel to accomplish something I would find difficult otherwise so sometimes it could be a weakness not to keep your emotions in check, its all a matter of common sense so if you have that you should be safe.

I would say that emotions are an indulgence and a natural occurance and sometimes you cant stop them from happening so on those occasions I wouldn't even try.

If your worried about the masculine fallacy that we should not show emotions then don't be, a man that can show his emotions to the right people is much much stronger than those who deny themselves this, some call it our "feminine side" I say its a part of every man, why should only women be allowed to feel this way?.

Joy brings strength, and in order to feel true joy you would have to feel true sadness otherwise what would you have to compare it to?

A final thought would be don't allow your emotions to control your thoughts unless its very necessary, for example in a life or death situation you will want to feel fear to get that adrenalin pumping so you can deal with whatever it is.

#301511 - 01/26/08 06:45 AM Re: Is emotion a stength or a weakness? [Re: Seeker Of Wisdom]
Fenriz Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Washington
I think the only times when an emotion is a bad thing is when it dominates you and irrational behavior ensues from it- i.e., destroying your own property in a fit of rage because you got pissed off at a bad driver, etc. or when it dominates you so much that you actually start to feel bad emotionally or it causes you harm.

In the former example, you may have purged your rage, but at what cost? Your own property was destroyed because of some inconsequential circumstance. In the latter example, unless one is a masochist, why would anyone want to feel bad?

Satanism provides a way to deal with powerful emotions that seem to be bursting at the seams:

Ritual

Edited by Fenriz (01/26/08 06:46 AM)

#301531 - 01/26/08 08:37 AM Re: Is emotion a stength or a weakness? [Re: Fenriz]
Max Faust Offline
Banned

Loc: Ultima Thule
 Originally Posted By: Fenriz
Ritual

Absolutely Bingo!

Passion is very good.

Controlled passion, however, is power.

#301532 - 01/26/08 08:40 AM Re: Is emotion a stength or a weakness? [Re: Fenriz]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

Bingo Fenriz! Emotion can be a great motivator unless it is so intense that it distracts you from "normal" living. Then the perfect prescription is just as you described- a ritual!

#301551 - 01/26/08 10:21 AM Re: Is emotion a stength or a weakness? [Re: Seeker Of Wisdom]
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
I don't think that there can be such a thing as too much emotion. Emotion is what brings magic to life, that ultimate spice that makes the whole stew worthwhile. They bring fulfillment, joy and happiness.

First of all I would like to say that not all emotions are positive. Love and caring are emotions that bring warmth into your heart, they are the best opium. I know how my heart trembles and how my soul dances when I am with my boyfriend whom I love most of all, I know how fulfilled I feel after time spent with him. It's a wonderful sensation ;\)

On the other hand, there are emotions out there (or in there, if you like) – that do the same thing – but with negative connotations. Pain, sadness, hatred and the will to destroy. I believe that although these emotions are negative, as they motivate one with opposite tendencies than those coming from love and caring – one should not ignore these emotions, they should be embraced and harvested like any other emotion. Not everything is love, and not everything is hatred. This is where the mind comes into play.

In my ideal world, love would be the only emotion – it would be enough, and happiness coming from such unconditional love would be never-ending. But in this world, which is very far from my ideal – certain conditions are set – and one needs the mind to decide which things are worthy of certain emotions. One needs to fall back to the logic of self-preservation – to decide who is worthy of love and who is worthy of hatred.

Emotions, if not handled properly – are a time bomb. If ALL emotions are not externalized, in one way or another – they destroy one from within. I see all emotions as creative energy.

But it is an energy which needs to be directed and handled, that's what the mind does. Direction of emotions, thus energy, is what gives them power, it is what shapes them – it is what defines them – to the one that feels and to the object of those feelings. Mixed emotions bring confusion, hesitation – and suffering in the end.

If one masters this art of direction, then he or she is able to give only love to loved ones, and only hatred to those that would destroy him. I know it sounds simple, but it is very far from being simple. That is the way to purity of emotions – and pure emotions are most powerful – absolute love for whom I love, absolute destruction for whom I hate. It is the way of survival in this world.

#301574 - 01/26/08 11:57 AM Re: Is emotion a stength or a weakness? [Re: Seeker Of Wisdom]
leonor Offline

Loc: Portugal
From my experience, there’s one very simple thing, which helped me a great deal to balance my emotions: Acknowledging reality. That is, the context upon which things happen, human nature, and the nature of the environment.
It sure doesn’t prevent you from feeling overwhelmed at times, but it somehow triggers a nearly automatic mechanism, that helps you to make the “big picture”, almost immediately, and discard the extra load.
I think Satanism has a lot of tools that enhance our capability to keep emotions in balance being rituals, definitely one of them.
By just reading the 11 Satanic Rules on Earth and the 9 Satanic Sins, one will find most of what it takes to prevent some pretty nasty emotions, which paradoxically make it so hard for some to allow their emotions to flow.

october1560

Edited by leonor (01/26/08 12:00 PM)
Time does not imply evolution. Very true. We are stepping back. One generates haunting monsters that generate haunting monsters on an endless spiral of misunderstanding, unsolved needs, moral amulets eradicating both the sickness and the cure.
I see a bunch of men raging at the void, haunted by their own inventions. Absurd. Totally absurd.

#301582 - 01/26/08 01:03 PM Re: Is emotion a stength or a weakness? [Re: leonor]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Emotion is an interesting thing. People here are right that it depends on how you use it and what you do with it that counts.

In some ways, it may be easier to go through life with a stiff upper lip and a steely eye. To love is to risk losing that which is loved, for example, while all emotions, in some measure, cause us to a modicum of control. Emotions can drive us to distraction. And, people can make fun of us or deride us for feeling a certain way, or even try to manipulate us through our feelings.

But, on the other hand, while emotion may make one vulnerable, it also adds a great deal of colour to life. It makes life more interesting, more worth living. It also helps us to make decisions and evaluate our priorities and values in a way pure reason cannot. Passions give us a reason to wake up in the morning, and keep moving forward.

So, no rain, no rainbows, I suppose. Emotion's a mixed bag--and, as people have noted, how you deal with or channel your individual emotions can make a great deal of difference.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#301599 - 01/26/08 03:22 PM it's all ok [Re: Seeker Of Wisdom]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

Except if you want to become a robot....

Quote:
but I find myself crying at movies

Then what, do you say this because you are a man ? I just say bravo to you saying this, keep your "soul child".

The balance is everything, animals have feelings, wolves still howl under the moon and no one truly know why, just stay yourself, it's all ok.

Hail Dynamo !

Hail Hertz !

Edited by Assabrah (01/26/08 03:23 PM)

#301672 - 01/26/08 09:35 PM Re: Is emotion a stength or a weakness? [Re: Seeker Of Wisdom]
CatlikeJoe Offline

Loc: Dominican Republic
A book I've read states that the unconscious mind does most of the reasoning for us, then gives you some form of primal feedback (emotions, gut feelings, etc.) that will directly affect the way you respond to certain events. The author states that the mind comes hardwired with a set of moral standards that are a basic guideline of interaction.

It was an interesting read. Straying from the central point of the book I've come to conclude that some people are more dependant on emotional responses than others. Some people are incapable of critical reasoning (when I say "some" I'm clearly being sarcastic) and to them relying fully on emotions and in prerecorded replies (a good example being religious dogma or an answering machine) is the only way to go. However when you have the ability to actually put to reason what you’re feeling you can make much more effective responses. I'm not trying to undermine the importance of feelings though. As some have stated, the best rout is to focus them.

I haven't met anyone who has gotten married and had children simply because they felt like spreading their genes.

Life would suck without emotion. I'd only choose life without emotion over death. Need I say more? \:\/

#301674 - 01/26/08 09:44 PM Re: Is emotion a stength or a weakness? [Re: Seeker Of Wisdom]
Seeker Of Wisdom Offline

Loc: Buckholts, Tx
Thank you all for your responses. They were all truly appreciated. HS!

"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere."
Groucho Marx

"Sex is legal, Selling is legal, why isn't selling sex legal?"
George Carlin

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"~ The Addams Family Crede

"We all have different desires and needs, but if we don't discover what we want from ourselves and what we stand for, we will live passively and unfulfilled."
Bill Watterson

#301689 - 01/27/08 01:12 AM Re: Is emotion a stength or a weakness? [Re: Seeker Of Wisdom]
Adveser Offline

Loc: California
I've had my fair share of unemotional times and can easily say that I prefer having feelings more than feeling nothing. What I mean is that I have had bouts of Bi-polar in the past where I would not care about anything for weeks until some kind of good news or situation came my way to get me out of that funk. I didn't wanna get personal but someone might have read that and taken it the wrong way. On the flip side, during manic times i've had in the past, too much emotion can be harmful because you might find that it is hard to replicate those feelings on a consistent basis. Like if you listen to a great CD a few too many times in a maniacal state it won't seem that interesting in a more normal state of mind. When they say "everything in moderation" everyone should take note that should apply to brain chemistry as well. I've gotten better because I just take a 5-HTP when I need it and the caffeine and cigarettes do the rest.

#301746 - 01/27/08 11:00 AM Re: Is emotion a stength or a weakness? [Re: TrojZyr]
leonor Offline

Loc: Portugal
A little add-on to my previous post:

It goes both ways: While discarding the extra-load, it will ALLOW emotions to flow. That's the beauty of it.
i.e Ressentment and trauma, are two major obstacles to love.

october1560
Time does not imply evolution. Very true. We are stepping back. One generates haunting monsters that generate haunting monsters on an endless spiral of misunderstanding, unsolved needs, moral amulets eradicating both the sickness and the cure.
I see a bunch of men raging at the void, haunted by their own inventions. Absurd. Totally absurd.

#302033 - 01/28/08 06:45 PM Re: Is emotion a stength or a weakness? [Re: leonor]
ConquerOrPerish Offline

Loc: DC Metro Area
I think the emotion of aggression is quite useful in keeping fuckheads at bay. If you have a tough exterior people won't try to start. Failing that, passive anger is useful. Joy is a decent form of resistance, and of course happiness is good. Other emotions I think are weaknesses.

"Making a difference makes sense only if you are convinced that you have mastered the subject at hand to the point where any difference you might make would be for the better." -Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43977 Topics
406020 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements