Topic Options
#301735 - 01/27/08 09:49 AM 'Army will accept Devil worshippers ...but only if they're NICE'
Drakein Offline

http://www.people.co.uk/news/tm_headline...-name_page.html

"Working together and looking out for others are contrary to Satanism, so they'd have to compromise their beliefs."

Cranmer who's mentioned in the article, is a member of the Church of Satan if I remember correctly.

#301769 - 01/27/08 02:58 PM Re: 'Army will accept Devil worshippers ...but only if they're NIC [Re: Drakein]
Scion Offline

Loc: London, UK
What a well researched article - clearly the writer knows what he's talking about.

\:>

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

www.vampiretemple.com - are you one of us?

#301770 - 01/27/08 03:15 PM Re: 'Army will accept Devil worshippers ...but only if they're NIC [Re: Drakein]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
You know how them Devil Worshippers just love to stir up trouble, those rascals!

And I thought the US Government was ignorant towards real Satanism, but the Brits have them beat!

Maybe they'll include virgin's blood and baby flesh in the rationed meals for the "Devil Worshippers" as well

#301771 - 01/27/08 03:15 PM Re: 'Army will accept Devil worshippers ...but only if they're NIC [Re: Scion]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Scary, ain't it?

The people writing articles for the paper, the internet, etc....the only source the drooling public has of any kind of "information" (which they will believe BLINDLY because "Derr news said so!!" ) are bigger idiots then the public themselves sometimes.

Oh well, at least us devil worshippers can hold demonic rituals and summon beelzebub with lucifer shoved up his ass on any naval ships we might work on.

Blech.

#301776 - 01/27/08 03:35 PM Re: 'Army will accept Devil worshippers ...but only if they're NIC [Re: Drakein]
Entity Offline

CoS Reverend

Loc: Avalon UK
Hindus get eight days off work?

Om Namah Shivaya!

Om Namah Shivaya!

Om Namah Shivaya!

;\)

Nothing is better than to live according to one's taste. - François Villon

Test Everything. Believe Nothing.

#301777 - 01/27/08 03:41 PM Re: 'Army will accept Devil worshippers ...but only if they're NICE' [Re: Drakein]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

Are you kidding me? I remember when I was in The US Army, they consistently told us that there was nothing that said that they had to be NICE-regardless of religion.
What about Christians or others who have problems with drugs-would they be absolved?
Give me a break.

#301779 - 01/27/08 04:00 PM Re: 'Army will accept Devil worshippers ...but only if they're NIC [Re: Scion]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Fact-checking journalists are a brave and rare breed. You aren't seriously surprised by this article, are you?

Journalism is not about education, it is about sales. Nothing will guarantee strong sales more than a taboo topic, and journalists are masters of plucking the strings that make up the notes of a taboo topic. I'm almost certain that many of the journalists that write these kinds of articles know exactly the difference between Satanism and devil worship, but I'm just as certain that they won't dare to publish it. They don't want to publish facts, they want to publish exciting stories that are sure to shock and appall their economic base.

Radical departures from the status-quo, in this case the general readership, will result in a decrease in sales further down the road. Satanists, as viewed by many subscribers to popular journalism, are the custodians of evil and damnation, do you think that they would fancy a newspaper article that put the question to such a cherished belief? To them, that would be terrible journalism.

The principle of not arguing against unreasonable, stultifying faith by resorting to reason and rationality, also applies here. The constituency that buys into articles like this one, are in their own minds, the custodians of virtue, salvation and divine grace. It serves no purpose to become angry, disgusted or even interested at all, when their vehicle of communication sets forth a story that "we" know to be ridiculous. The closest I will ever become to being prescient, is when I say that popular journalism will likely always publish absurd, incorrect information about such topics as this one. The exceptions are always met with ridicule and derision, which is why exceptions are so valuable and rare to come by.

Just a thought.

There are tried and true methods to assure that the proper message and the correct educational material is available for those that wish to find it. Worrying about those that don't, well, they don't matter, because their minds are made up anyway.

Michael Shermer, while commenting on skepticism and secular ideas, wasn't wrong when he posited that instead of waging a campaign of belligerence against those that don't want to hear what he and his ilk have to say anyway, it is much more productive to find the middle ground. That middle ground being those people that are genuinely curious and open to non-faith based, rational discourse.

Edited by Poetaster (01/27/08 04:16 PM)
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#301780 - 01/27/08 04:10 PM Re: 'Army will accept Devil worshippers ...but only if they're NIC [Re: Poetaster]
Drakein Offline

It's not just the journalist, but also people he quoted, like the MoD spokesman.
Also, previously in CNN http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/10/24/uk.devilworship/index.html

#301785 - 01/27/08 04:31 PM Re: 'Army will accept Devil worshippers ...but only if they're NIC [Re: Poetaster]
Scion Offline

Loc: London, UK
I'm not in the least surprised by this - having worked in Government communications for two years my experience of journalists is they wouldn't know a fact if it punched them in the face. Indeed, as you say the point of this article (and others of its ilk) is not to fight ignorance but to pander to it.

I'm a bit more worried that the MOD doesn't seem to know the difference between devil worship and Satanism, however.

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

www.vampiretemple.com - are you one of us?

#301798 - 01/27/08 06:13 PM Re: 'Army will accept Devil worshippers ...but only if they're NIC [Re: Drakein]
L0ki Offline

Loc: Scandinavia
I'm not surprised at all, but it is depressing to say the least...

1. The short memory of the human race.

2. History repeats itself.

3. The short memory of the human race.

#301828 - 01/27/08 10:34 PM Re: 'Army will accept Devil worshippers ...but only if they're NICE' [Re: Drakein]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
Funny. The writer must have got his information from Christians or is just playing up to his readership.

#302210 - 01/29/08 12:35 PM Re: 'Army will accept Devil worshippers ...but only if they're NICE' [Re: TheNaturalForce]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
It's always funny how people assume our religious structure is as rigid and literalistic as theirs.

So, when I cooperate with somebody or treat them nicely, it's assumed I must be COMPROMISING MY BELIEFS! or that I'm being a "bad" Satanist who's breaking the sacred rules. They seem to assume the same about Chris Cranmer.

But, what do you expect? People already tend to have a very skewed and lopsided understanding of self-interest and self-disinterest anyway!

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

Forum Stats
12013 Members
73 Forums
43824 Topics
405204 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements