Topic Options
#301284 - 01/25/08 08:31 AM Re: What makes us different? [Re: Ghorth6]
ShadowDragon Offline

Loc: Where I have Always Been
I am me, and that's all I need.

To Light a Candle,is to Cast a Shadow.

#301293 - 01/25/08 09:43 AM Re: What makes us different? [Re: Ghorth6]
shadowraven213 Offline

Edgar Allen Poe sums it up nicely for me.

"Alone"
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
From the same source I have not taken
My sorrow; I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone;
And all I loved, I loved alone.
Then- in my childhood, in the dawn
Of a most stormy life- was drawn
From every depth of good and ill
The mystery which binds me still:
From the torrent, or the fountain,
From the red cliff of the mountain,
From the sun that round me rolled
In its autumn tint of gold,
From the lightning in the sky
As it passed me flying by,
From the thunder and the storm,
And the cloud that took the form
(When the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view.

I am different because I always have been, I just found a name for it.

#301332 - 01/25/08 12:51 PM Re: What makes us different? [Re: Ghorth6]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
I love myself. Few people on this planet can honestly say the same, and I think this is a large reason that they go looking for some external salve to make their own self loathing into love. This is why the idea of original sin, in all of it's forms, is such a popular idea.

What sets the Satanist apart? I can only say what sets me apart, but I think other Satanists share this quality: that we love ourselves more than anything else, and we reject the idea that we and/or the universe we live in is somehow flawed.

I love myself, I accept the universe as is, and I seek to make a life of joy from this. This is what sets me apart from the herd.

#301334 - 01/25/08 12:57 PM Re: What makes us different? [Re: Jack_Lantern]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Well said! That about sums it up here, I think.

#301418 - 01/25/08 07:42 PM Re: What makes us different? [Re: TheDegenerate]
ConquerOrPerish Offline

Loc: DC Metro Area
Libertarianism, Atheism, Sexual liberation, Epicureanism, Objectivism...what makes Satanism different?

1. All of these things combined- you will absolutely NOT find another philosophy that combines all of these elements. For example, even though they may seem similar, objectivism and libertarianism normally don't mix, because objectivists consider libertarians evil.

2. Dogma- you can have a million glittering philosophies and they will mean nothing to you, because you don't believe in anything! You have to BELIEVE...IN SOMETHING. My best friend would say, "who are you?" "I'm a libertarian". "No! Who ARE you? Those are your politics. What do you believe in?" LaVey addressed this by explaining why he's not just a Humanist. Like he said, psychology tells you wonderful things, but it does not have the emotional impact needed to bring it to life that dogma, conviction, and ritual do. Psychology patients think they are responsible for their own lives. Satanists TRULY BELIEVE that they are their own Gods.

3. You will absolutely NOT find another group of people in the world who simultaneously believe that 1) Might is Right and 2) women are not inherently worthless, minorities are not the dogs of the earth, let alone that they can be their own Gods. The few who believe Might is Right look at it extremely simplistically, in terms of brute physical force. No other belief system places Might is Right and social Darwinistic stratification in an individualistic paradigm, rather than in terms of men over women or whites over blacks.

4. Misanthropia, refusal to feign morality- you can tell if a person is not divorced from the herd if he says he doesn't like people and then rushes to qualify his statements. The same goes for people who discuss morals. They'll say morality is relative and then rush to qualify that they're not amoral, that they think some events were evil, etc. They don't stick to their guns!

There are many more points on this issue but in the interest of time and space I will just end here.

HS!

Edited by ConquerOrPerish (01/25/08 07:45 PM)

"Making a difference makes sense only if you are convinced that you have mastered the subject at hand to the point where any difference you might make would be for the better." -Thomas Sowell

#301423 - 01/25/08 07:54 PM Re: What makes us different? [Re: $lesk]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
 Originally Posted By: Slesk
 Originally Posted By: Assabrah

"( Amazon ):"The last portion is mostly "black magic". I found this especially strange as most Satanists are atheists or agnostics themselves (worshiping Satan as a concept, not as an actual creature) and I would think this portion fo the book to be totally unnecessary. Perhaps LeVay included it to make his book appealing to an even wider audience"

Voilà, at least the 70% of people saying that they have read the book. Sad.

What's really sad, is that many of the people coming to these boards, claiming the title Satanists, have this approach.

The first time I read "The Satanic Bible", I gave it to a trusted confidante. Her summation was the same as that pasted by Warlock Assabrah. In fact, it was verbatim.

I feel safe in asserting that the motive of Dr. LaVey was quite the opposite. He was targeting an audience of narrower scope. ;\)

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#301486 - 01/26/08 12:21 AM Re: What makes us different? [Re: Callier]
Drakein Offline

Originally Posted By: Callier
It is not our practice of ritual magic that makes us unique. There are all too many Wiccans, Odinists, Crowleyites and others engaged in these practices. No, it is our total rejection of any external diety or dieties including Satan which makes our movement take a vital and unique place in the stream of current events.

Doesn't that also apply to Taoism, most traditions of Buddhism like Theravada, and atheistic neopagans?

#301605 - 01/26/08 03:42 PM Re: What makes us different? [Re: Drakein]
Fala Offline
CoS Member

I am different because I am. I cannot explain why, or exactly what makes me so...but like another dear member stated: I have always known I was different; I just found a name for what I am.

#301647 - 01/26/08 08:08 PM Re: What makes us different? [Re: Ghorth6]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
I know what makes me different - I don't think about what makes me different. I enjoy life and find satisfaction in the things that I enjoy. I don't stop to think if what I'm doing at the time is somehow unique or confined within the same box of interests that make other Satanists different.

I should think that a natural indifference to the status quo is enough to establish authentic Satanists as different. I also suspect that none of them care, unless they choose to care for reasons of their own.

Group acceptance and convenient pigeonholing is for the masses, and most of them don't know the difference between self-interested discrimination and compulsive huddling. Nor could they do a damn thing about it, even if they did.

So there you have it, that's what makes "us" different, that "we" are individuals that generally steer clear of the 'we's' and 'us's', and prefer the 'me's'.

Edited by Poetaster (01/26/08 08:14 PM)
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#301676 - 01/26/08 10:52 PM Re: What makes us different? [Re: Drakein]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: drakein

Doesn't that also apply to Taoism, most traditions of Buddhism like Theravada, and atheistic neopagans?

Although Taoism has different branches with varying beliefs, one of their main structures consist of aligning themselves spiritually with cosmic forces.

Theravada's ultimate goal is Nibbana, which is believed to be the point where the Buddhist is free from the repeated cycle of life and death. To them, it may take many lifetimes for one to achieve this goal. Not theistic in the least but quite spiritual nevertheless.

As far as "atheistic neopagans" are concerned, it's an oxymoron. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm aware that most Neopagan religions are polytheistic.

#301739 - 01/27/08 10:14 AM Re: What makes us different? [Re: Ghorth6]
capistrano Offline

Loc: Baguio City, Philippines
Quite related with this matter, it can be easily said that "difference" is sheer numbers game. Although sometimes, it all becomes problematic because some people assert (show, talk, etc.) so much their difference, they no longer are so. Leads me to think that a degree of indifference becomes real handy. One wastes time asserting his difference, as most who do so are being shallowly different (or if they are at all). Being different shall never lose its mystique when not asserted, so why bother? Just a thought, though. Cheers!

#301767 - 01/27/08 02:52 PM Re: What makes us different? [Re: Ghorth6]
spook show Offline
CoS Member

Loc: under your bed
 Quote:
what do YOU think, makes us Satanists different from others?

I never think of the word Satanist in terms of 'us', but rather in terms of 'me'. I have only met a handful of people in my life that called themselves Satanists, and I didn't see one thing about them that was different from the herd.

The ability to quote verbatim every song lyric ever made by Marilyn Manson, or wearing a dozen inverted crosses never struck me as being Satanic.

I even told one person I met several years ago that if she represented what Satanism was, I would become a born again xian right away. Somehow, she didn't find that too amusing. \:\/

~Anton Szandor LaVey

#301773 - 01/27/08 03:18 PM Re: What makes us different? [Re: spook show]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Now, TWO dozen inverted crosses; instant Satanist. Who needs the Satanic philosophy? All that is needed to be "Grand Magus Lementoire Valcarious Of The Ninth Church of Satan" is 24 cheaply made pieces of plastic on black string. Forget applying for "active membership." A half a pound of anti-christian "jewelery" should do the trick!

#301911 - 01/28/08 09:48 AM Re: What makes us different? [Re: TheDegenerate]
spook show Offline
CoS Member

Loc: under your bed
 Quote:
Forget applying for "active membership." A half a pound of anti-christian "jewelery" should do the trick!

Come now, Phosis! Everyone knows you must worship the band deicide and mutilate your body in some manner to achieve that level. Sheesh!

~Anton Szandor LaVey

#301915 - 01/28/08 10:02 AM Re: What makes us different? [Re: spook show]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

[quote=2thenight]
 Quote:

Come now, Phosis! Everyone knows you must worship the band deicide and mutilate your body in some manner to achieve that level. Sheesh!

Dammit, your right...guess I'm guilty of the number one Satanic sin...not listening to death metal!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12095 Members
73 Forums
43861 Topics
405458 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements