Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#302149 - 01/29/08 07:50 AM Re: Strange Expressions [Re: Discipline]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
 Quote:
The "to be honest" line is mainly just filler and habit. I do it on occasion. And to be honest, , I use it as a lead in and nothing more.

Since we're being honest, I've been known to say it on occasion as well.

;\)

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#302172 - 01/29/08 10:08 AM Re: Strange Expressions [Re: Bruja]
ArlawrDywysoge Offline

Loc: UK
'To cut a long story short' is the one that bothers me the most, am I not important enough to be told the full story? or is it said so you automatically think that you are getting a shortened version of something that wasn't to interesting to start with and you end up wasting your time listening?
paths are split, and we are walking alone, again.

#302186 - 01/29/08 11:09 AM Re: Strange Expressions [Re: Discipline]
Woglug Offline

Loc: Sheffield, UK
 Originally Posted By: Discipline
>>infant amounts

Is that a new measurement of baby quantities?

I just had to tease you on that one.

Although proof reading has never been my strong point, should have really seen that \:\)

Thanks for the correction, must try harder ... incidentally that was my junior and infant school moto

Then though investigation and study can the true truth of the matter be found.

#302187 - 01/29/08 11:10 AM Re: Strange Expressions [Re: Taliana]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Actually, my hackles go up whenever any of those three are uttered--as well as a fourth phrase, "Can you come here for a minute?" and a fifth, "Can I talk to you in private PLEASE?"--especially when there's a certain type of tone behind it.

Especially when women say it, "Can we talk?" too-often means, "I'm trying to be professional, sensitive, and nice, and I'm trying to pretend you have a full right to say no, but you're still about to get sweetly roped against your will into enduring a very embarrassing and/or annoying pseudo-conversation that is, at core level, a lecture, or a patronizing "teachable moment" that will make you feel 5 years old again. Enjoy."

Also, I hate it when someone says "Can we talk?" or "Can I talk to you for a minute?" or "Can I ask you a question?" particularly if it's done in THAT tone, and it turns out to be something insignificant, innocuous, and quick that didn't warrant a huge, nervous introduction. Thanks for getting me ready for a huge ordeal or long chat, just to ask me if the chair looked good there or if I was going to the store later, you twit. I always love a preamble when I'm being asked something that can be answered in two words!

I do realize that it's hard to have those crucial conversations and talk about touchy things, so in some sense there's no perfect way to tell someone they stink or that their socks are ugly.

Mostly, I get mad when people use those phrases, especially with a certain tone, needlessly, so that they cause people to worry, needlessly, about what the chat will be about.

And yes "to be honest" is usually totally benign filler.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#302200 - 01/29/08 12:00 PM Re: Strange Expressions [Re: Max Faust]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I don't mean to interrupt but...When I saw "Strange Expressions", I thought we were either talking about southern expressions: "I'm as good as snuff, and half as dusty"; or, the look on people's faces when they hear the Queen pass gas.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#302201 - 01/29/08 12:05 PM Re: Strange Expressions [Re: TrojZyr]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
There is so much hostility from you. Yet, in person you are so cheerful and sweet. But I know the truth you evil girl.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#302207 - 01/29/08 12:21 PM Re: Strange Expressions [Re: Discipline]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Hey, I have very definite and specific pet peeves, what can I say?

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
11890 Members
73 Forums
43636 Topics
404145 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements