Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#302191 - 01/29/08 11:18 AM Re: A blast from the past....how were you treated in School? [Re: Evil_Eve]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I had to think about this one a bit. The basic facts are that I thought high school was a colossal waste of my time. I regularly skipped school and went to the library – to read. At 16 I dropped out for good and went to work. Then an extraordinary person was extraordinarily generous to me. At my mother’s urging, I saw a psychologist because everyone felt supremely confused that such a bright girl would drop out of school. This woman helped me get a full scholarship to a fully private school that offered tutorials at the students own pace. I condensed my last three years of high into 6 months, and graduated at the same time as my peers who were stuck in boring daily classes.

All hail learning at your own pace!

Despite beginning to baby-sit full time at the age of 14, I maintained friendships with people I had met in high school. Like Shade, I had a friend that affected me quite a bit. We met at age 12, and spoke almost everyday until just a few years ago. Albeit being from vastly different backgrounds, we became like sisters and we had a bond.

We used to call each other spoiled brats.

She thought I was spoiled because I had no curfew and no restrictions on clothing, friends, music, romance, or going to bars. I thought she was spoiled because she complained that she had to work everyday Saturday in her mother’s store and was not allowed much social flexibility or freedom.

I could not relate to the high expectations her family had of her, or to their logical approach and reasoning that dominated the parental discourse. As an example, her parents would say, “If you provide an adequate explanation for why hanging out at the park with your friends will teach you something of value, then we’ll allow it. Otherwise, you stay home and contribute to this household by making certain supper is on the table by the time we get home from work.”

She could not relate to the fact that I had no rules in my household or that I regularly chastised my mother. As an example, I would say to my mother, “Why is it that every time we make a rule in this house you’re the first one to break it? And by the way, I’ll be spending the weekend at David’s house.”

She never had to worry about her next meal, the rent, getting new sneakers for gym class or taking the occasional vacation. And I never had to worry about someone dictating my future.

We were opposites in many ways. She cared deeply about her reputation and being popular. And I could not give a flying fuck what anyone thought of me.

There was no question that she would pursue an outstanding professional career, and she has. There was no question that I had more insight and emotional intelligence in my relationships than she did, and still do. It was when we grew up and we each developed more skill into the other’s area of expertise that created conflict. We were both uncomfortable with the transgressing of these relegated spheres.

Ultimately, our friendship did not survive. But that happened long after high school.

This turned out to be a very long post, but when thinking about my high school experience, she is the one that had the most impact, who I told all my secrets too, who I shared almost all my first experiences with. The academic issues were a far-off second to the impact that this friendship has had.

#302198 - 01/29/08 11:57 AM Re: A blast from the past....how were you treated in School? [Re: Ghorth6]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Great question, Miss Eve.

Kindergarten, preschool, and 1st grade the first time around were some of the happiest and relatively carefree years of my life. I was almost entirely self-contained, and relatively oblivious to other people. Even when other kids yelled at me for telling too many self-indulgent stories about my imaginary friends and their imaginary planet, or one kid stole the hood off my coat for telling him to go to Hell, or teachers tried to make me do activities I didn't want to do, or the PE teacher made me sit on the sidelines during class, or the mean boy I had a really stupid crush on rebuffed me, I took it in stride, never took it personally, and usually solved the problem by wandering off somewhere to do my own thing. It was almost like other people weren't real and their impact on me wasn't real, so I didn't worry about them. Good times, good times. I played by myself, hid away from the teachers so I could read lots of books and not have to do much else, and I'm sure most of the other kids just found me weird--and because of my constant and obsessive storytelling in class or at lunch--annoying.

(On the bright side, it made me memorable. I met a kid in high school who'd been in my preschool class, and he remembered me. He was vague about whether those memories were fond or not ;\) ).

It was all downhill from there by comparison. Elementary school part deux (I switched schools) had all kinds of arbitrary rules and rites, and for a while, my homeroom teachers were incredibly strict (or striving to be), and found me incredibly threatening because I certainly wasn't "normal"--in many different ways--and I asked too many questions and voiced too many personal views, opinions, and objections. Finally got to "enjoy" my first real bully in 2nd grade, and he pumped up the volume in 4th grade and got everyone to steer clear of me, on account of "cooties." People became increasingly more "real" because of their ability to put the hurt on me, and due to my increasing appreciation and understanding of the inner minds and lives of others.

To be fair, I had many good times, too--most of my other teachers were fine, and a few were amazing; I had fun times on the playground and in music class, and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to be a hard-boiled, shrewd cynic and critic. (I always sat next to one of my few friends and made witty, snarky comments, usually at school assemblies. I was like a very tiny Denis Leary.)

Middle school was horrid; I could easily call those years the worst. Puberty, mean girls, rumors, gossip, arbitrary rules, lots of expectations coming from everywhere and everyone. Kids teased me about my medical problems after breaking into a stash of my supplies at school. Because there was a huge rumor mill, I never knew who was a real friend or ally, and who was just playing at being friendly so that they might get more dirt on me. I was socially and physically awkward, to boot.

High school was pretty good. I was treated fine, for the most part--maybe not taken as seriously or given as much respect as I thought I deserved, but no one harassed or tried to harm me, and that's really what counted for me at that point. In the end, though, the reason I got pissed off at my high school was because they spent an awful lot of time coddling the stoners, shit-disturbers, and ne'er-do-wells, and thus the bar was set lower than I would've liked in a lot of cases.

Actually, maybe it's only because this is all safely in the past but, I wouldn't change a thing. Even the bad times and terrible experiences that made me miserable and distraught still taught me things and helped me me who I am today. If anything, I'd like the benefit of going back in time to counsel my past self, to give advice. Certainly, there were a lot of dumb things I did that made my problems and my conflicts with people worse, and of course, I'd think my past self would appreciate being given a sense of perspective--"this, too, shall pass."

There's almost too much to parse all at once, so if anyone wants to ask a specific question or ask for more elaboration in an area, have at it :).

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#302216 - 01/29/08 12:54 PM Re: A blast from the past....how were you treated in School? [Re: Evil_Eve]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Taxationland
With a lot of this! I deserved it most of the time.

"To be born into this world a sentient, self-conscious and reasoning being, surrounded by inexhaustible glories in Nature, which we may comprehend, possess,enjoy; to be able to rise on the wings of a lofty imagination; to be able to get glimpses of the ideally perfect; to apprehend the Divine; it is to the development and enjoyment of these high powers that the young man is invited. How dare he refuse to qualify himself by the most perfect training of all his powers." Lyman J. Gage 1910

"Follow Me!", John M. (Delta).

"I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think." Something Magistra Isabel posted. laugh

#302230 - 01/29/08 02:22 PM Re: A blast from the past....how were you treated in School? [Re: TrojZyr]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Dear Witch, I certainly did enjoy your reply. (I have read all the replies by the way).

I liked what you said here:
 Quote:
Actually, maybe it's only because this is all safely in the past but, I wouldn't change a thing. Even the bad times and terrible experiences that made me miserable and distraught still taught me things and helped me me who I am today.

It is not so hard to contemplate that the very lives We lead now may be different in some ways had We not gone through certain life experiences.

You spoke of grade school, and I too did not pay too very much attention to the other children (We are speaking around first grade here). I had fun doing My own thing. Swinging on the swing by Myself. Eating My lunch by Myself, drawing strange pictures of worlds that could only exist in the mind of such a young one.

Now, moving on to the second and third grade? HELL. HELL. HELL.

Picture Me: A young girl with a violin case, a Ziggy lunch box and....... PURE WHITE HAIR. Yes, Eve is naturally blond. Now, the white hair wasn't the particular problem. The fact that it was naturally curly and that My father didn't know how to groom hair properly! He once gave Me an afro. NO LIE. I also have a picture of Me from the second grade where he put some sort of Brill creme on it and parted it down the middle.

The result? I looked like the spitting image of George Washington. If I'm feeling incredibly goofy some day, I just may scan that picture so We can all have a good laugh. I laugh about it now.

However, I was beat up by a rather large boy in a grade much higher than My own because I was 'Not Like Most'. He hit Me in the head with a metal lunch box. I still think about that time whenever I hear the song by Marilyn Manson "Lunch Box".

Warlock Bill:

I enjoyed your response/reply as well. I wonder what it would have been to go to an all female Private School......then again, it could have been worse. Women seem to be a bit less forgiving when it comes to appearances and name calling/finger pointing.

I did not stress in My original post that I actually liked most of My teachers. (They were Christers yes,) but highly educated and graduated from esteemed Colleges and did have much to teach if one wanted to learn.

We had a religion class but it was much different than the one you spoke of. You HAD to believe or you failed, period! The class was called "God And Government". Now, I enjoyed the Government part of the class. We went over the Constitution, The Declaration Of Independence, Ben Franklin, John Adams, and other influential trail blazers.

I enjoyed History as well, (but in this school, they always seemed to tie God into every Historical event).

In another reply here in this thread I learned of some funny things that a few of you did in school as maybe a way to express your personality.

I did a few funny things.

One that I recall the most was this:

My Principle who also happened to be the preacher of our church was a handsome Devil. Oh, I had impure thoughts of him for sure. Jet black hair nicely groomed and always in a wonderful suit. He had these blue eyes that you could drown in/get lost in.

I passed him in the hall one day and held up My compact mirror to his face. He asked Me what I was doing? I told him I thought he might be a Vampire and I wanted to see if I could get a reflection out of him.

I was booted out of that school two times. Once for losing My leather jacket and the administration finding an unopened pack of smokes inside. (I was lectured by the then Principle Mr. Mooring who happened to be obscenely obese). There I was told that the body was the temple of god and then I began to debate.

(This gets Me into trouble oft times so I am certainly trying to slow down).

I told him that obesity was a sin and that I could find it for him in the Bible. I could not find anything about Camel Filters however.

Poof. I'm out for a few days. My father actually wasn't upset with Me. Imagine that.

Next, I was kicked out for doing Tarot card readings in the Ladies Washroom. I was then deemed a 'Witch' and was even told that I was a self proclaimed Witch. News to Me. (Where is that laughing Devil face?)

Looking back on things as Witch TrojZyr says, I guess I wouldn't change much unless it was for the betterment of Myself.

Magister Svengali:

Your reply made Me smile. I had once read that you dropped out of school and who would know this after reading some of the most astute and intelligent words you pen?

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have enjoyed this thread.

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#302236 - 01/29/08 02:48 PM Re: A blast from the past....how were you treated in School? [Re: Ghorth6]
Pact_Primeval Offline

Loc: Derby, England
I decided to dig deeper into my memories, and journey back before the seventh year, being primary/junior school.

A lot of people on this board so far seem to have at some point been members of one of the right hand path. An example being they were brought up that way and expected never to question it, but blindly follow it. 'Disciplined' even if considered its advesory.

I personally have never had religion forced on me by my parents (save one expression i will reveal later in this post), but my 'public school' however, did.
I was too young to stand up to my tutors, and not experienced enough to question it. I was not taught by my school that Christianity is a choice, or even that other faiths existed, i discovered that for myself.
I never participated in hymns (See i'm not even sure how it is spelled) and when I listened to any religious seminar presented by external speakers to the school, I was always asking why.
I knew in my flesh and mind 'how' I was, it was when i read the Satanic Bible recently i knew 'what' i was.
The Satanic Bible is the doorway to the left hand path defined, for all to reflect in should they be one with the text.
So the extent to my right hand path experiencr was that it was hidden, by lies and by broken promises of an afterlife rewarded for not following our carnal nature, and mental development.
Never expected to ponder to the why's, how's and what's. Only expected to sing along, listen intently, and learn to be peons to an multi-abusive way of life.

It was in a vulnerable location that i felt trapped. My education. My place of learning was defiled. As soon as i left that school, i felt free and walked the left hand path with a smile on my face.

Looking back, i can honestly say that what they did was not only immoral, but illegal. A public school in England was not, and is still not allowed to preach about an omnipotent god, as a public school in definition is that anyone from any religion, philosophy or belief can attend. It is open to the public after all.
My mother, a christian, did not agree with what they were doing. One who's quote is this. "You cannot wash the cross off of your head." which is her only signifier of forced belief. I simply reply. Hail Satan!
So to that, and everything in my primary school days i remember and cherish the experience as it led me to my first answers early on in life. I say again, Hail Satan!

Edited by Pact_Primeval (01/29/08 02:54 PM)

#302237 - 01/29/08 02:57 PM Re: A blast from the past....how were you treated in School? [Re: Evil_Eve]
Pact_Primeval Offline

Loc: Derby, England
 Originally Posted By: Evil_Eve
I told him that obesity was a sin and that I could find it for him in the Bible. I could not find anything about Camel Filters however.

I lol'd. Then i lol'd some more. Then... I rofl'd.

#302256 - 01/29/08 04:12 PM Re: A blast from the past....how were you treated in School? [Re: Evil_Eve]
Valek Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Non-local
Nothing interesting at all about High School. I was 'one of the twins'. That was it.

Graduated with honors, majoring in JROTC and Telecommunications. Nothing special.

#302261 - 01/29/08 05:07 PM Re: A blast from the past....how were you treated in School? [Re: Evil_Eve]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

I was bullied a bit in elementary school, but nothing compared to the shit that goes on these days. I had a couple of strong friendships, one of which survives to this day.

High school for me was pretty uneventful but not unpleasant. I was a well behaved student, had a few good friends and got along with pretty much everyone. I was a metal-head along with a few others, so I guess that made me different than most, but I don't think anyone gave a shit about that kind of stuff. At least that's my experience. Others at the school might disagree.

I never had a teacher that I really disliked. I actually have quite fond memories of many of my teachers.

It was Catholic school so some of that bullshit was annoying, like getting hounded to go to confession, religion class and stuff like that. But all in all, I don't have any bad memories. I don't have any stories that would qualify as "interesting" either. If I think of one I'll let you know.

My first HS math teacher was hot, though.

#302283 - 01/29/08 07:18 PM Re: A blast from the past....how were you treated in School? [Re: Evil_Eve]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
 Originally Posted By: Evil_Eve
I enjoyed your response/reply as well. I wonder what it would have been to go to an all female Private School......then again, it could have been worse. Women seem to be a bit less forgiving when it comes to appearances and name calling/finger pointing.

Thanks for reading my reply. And actually, I've heard almost the opposite from women who have gone to all-female schools or stayed at an all-female dorm in college. Two boys who can't stand each other sometimes climax in an after school fist fight, after which they strangely often become good aquaintences. But as I understand it, there's often some really, really ugly stuff going on behind the scenes when women are all put together (psychological torture, ostracizing, etc.). And they do this even while smiling to each other when they meet face to face.

Quote:
I did not stress in My original post that I actually liked most of My teachers. (They were Christers yes,) but highly educated and graduated from esteemed Colleges and did have much to teach if one wanted to learn.

In my entire 20 years of academics, I must say that the Xavarian Brothers/monks were some of my best teachers. These were guys who had a passion about the subjects they were teaching, lectured extremely well, and could easily teach it without the text book if they had to. In fact, the text book was just often a formality.

Quote:
We had a religion class but it was much different than the one you spoke of. You HAD to believe or you failed, period!

I had to take a semester of a combined Hebrew/Christian scriptures class, which was pretty much a pure objective study. Then for sophomore year we were all required to take a full year of "Church History". That was a combination of Catholic history, learning about missionaries, and doing projects where you got to give your personal views. The teacher even let me have a whole period one day to just talk about my beliefs and religious views at the time.

Also as I mentioned, I took a World Religions class (where I routinely brought in stuff of mine to share with the class, like my Gautama statue or copy of the Bhagava Gita) and an Ethics class that included a lot of study of formal logic. Those two were semester-long classes, and I took two others to fulfill my requirements. One was "Relationships", which dealt with marriage, sexism, and sex ed. from a practical adult view. The other was "Death & Dying", where we talked about euthanasia, Elizabeth Kuber-Ross stuff, the funeral business, etc.

One other thing I forgot to mention about my school: we had fewer days than the public school. We started a little earlier, but we got out in May while the public high school was still going through the ENTIRE month of June. Never mind all the strange Catholic holidays we had off in between. The work load was intense, but again, it was worth it.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#302314 - 01/29/08 10:10 PM Re: A blast from the past....how were you treated in School? [Re: ]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
 Quote:
If it says anything about the state of the education system, I remember getting into an argument with my science teacher, about how apes and other primates share a common ancestor with us.

\:D I recall getting into an argument with my 3rd grade teacher. We were studying islands. She admitted that Australia was an island, but refused to believe that Tasmania even existed (so it certainly couldn't be an island). According to her it was a figment of the Warner Brothers' imagination and where the cartoon character called the Tasmanian Devil was from. Imagine her surprise when I pointed it out on the map. Better yet, when I showed her a picture of a REAL Tasmanian devil the next day (I used to read my animal encyclopedia as a bed time story every night) ... and I was supposed to learn something from her?

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#302315 - 01/29/08 10:15 PM Re: A blast from the past....how were you treated in School? [Re: G.F.V.]
vixyur Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I guess my high school experience was a lot different form other. It was some of the best years of my life. Although it's not like I actually went to school. I tried to attend the minimum to allow me to pass, but it still took me an extra half year to graduate.

My last years were the best. I'd sleep in until 9-10, then wake up and see who was in my house. When I got up, we'd decide what we were going to do for the day. I met new people every day.

I treated people in a truly satanic way long before I knew what I was doing. I welcomed all with honesty and respect, and those who treated me otherwise in my home regretted it in many ways. Before reading the satanic bible, I started my own religion with a close group of friends. And by no surprise it was almost exactly like Satanism. I was straight edge, and stayed pretty much legal even though many of those around me were not.

Every day we partied, adventured, and had one hell of a good time. Every day I woke up, and asked my friends "what should we do today." Anyone’s idea was considered and we just worked on consensus. Our group was open to all. We had jocks, geeks, nerds, and rejects. We had friends of every race and creed. We treated all fairly as long as they did as well. For those that didn't they faced our wrath.

It was the most adventurous and educational time of my life. We would do anything from taking a road trip to a strange place 4 hours away, to going bowling. Parties were a regular thing, and so were field trips to new places. One day we drove out to the country because someone claimed he knew where some pigs were that were the size of cows. None of us believed him but he was right. Hiking, visiting malls, or heading downtown, anything new was fair game, the newer the idea the better.

Then there were times that I will never forget. A new friend had a grandmother in the hospital. So she and about a half dozen of us showed up at her grandmother’s bedside to give her support. Grandma wasn't happy about us skipping school, but the joy of having visitors in her last days and seeing that her granddaughter had such loyal friends made up for it plenty.

I even met my wife, now of 15 years, while skipping school. It was my future wife’s first time skipping school. One of my friends wanted to go visit their little brother in middle school and give him a note. So we did. Skipping high school to sneak into a middle school during the middle of the day doesn't make much sense to me even today. But it turned out to be my first date with my wife, and it's another time I'll never forget or regret.

Yea, I was arrested a few times for truancy. And then there was the time, one of the few days that I was actually in school, that the cops came into school to arrest me for statutory rape of a 12 year old. Sitting in a cell I couldn't help but laugh. Want to see a cop get more pissed than you could ever imagine? Just laugh at his face when you're accused of raping a 12 year old girl. Of course I was no idiot. I did not rape a 12 year old. She was taken to a hospital where the doctor took one look and explained to the police that she was a virgin. I was let go that night, and was still laughing.

In the view of my enemies, I became a wrath that few chose to face. I hardly ever had to take action against anyone as somehow my reputation preceded me. I guess having the cops pull you out of class to arrest you makes an impression on people. They never knew why I was arrested. For all they knew, they could have thought I killed someone. And for those that thought I did, I didn't do anything to deter the rumors. But those close to me knew the truth.

There were a lot of people who treated us like crap. But since I didn't care about them, I honestly didn't give a damn what they though of us. We went on and had the times of our lives without them. Life's about living, not worrying about what others think of you, and that has always been what I've done. I have no regrets. Now that I'm older with a wife and kids, I can't be quite so outgoing. But every now and then I still take a road trip. I don't make any plans, I just pick a random direction and go, and then I see what life has to offer.

Edited by vixyur (01/29/08 10:19 PM)

#302334 - 01/29/08 11:55 PM Gym Class Follies. [Re: Evil_Eve]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
I used to get a kick out of Gym class . Here's a few you'll all enjoy.

I recall a time where a Volleyball game was getting really intense. At one point when I was standing in the center not too far from the net, I saw the ball coming my way. I ran full speed and spiked the ball so hard it knocked a boy back into a girl running sideways. Both fell on the ground causing my team to erupt in laughter.

Once, we were playing with Golf clubs and plastic balls. Since I was more experienced with real Golf clubs than the average high-school student, the ones provided in class were really hard to use; they were slippery as could be. It proved right on my very first swing when the club went flying across the gym. After about a dozen supbar swings and shots, it happened again. This time it bounced off the backboard of a basketball net and came right down hitting another in the head. I never in my life saw so many people fall to the ground laughing before or since.

Edited by RobMan (01/30/08 09:38 AM)
Edit Reason: Should have payed more attention to my Grammar. C-

#302335 - 01/30/08 12:06 AM Re: A blast from the past....how were you treated in School? [Re: AurEum]
CatlikeJoe Offline

Loc: Dominican Republic
 Quote:
Imagine her surprise when I pointed it out on the map.

I once took a piece of goldstone to grade school and my teacher/principal actually made fun of me because he thought I was claiming to have the philosopher's stone. He once waited until after phis-ed to call my attention in class so everyone could see my "cold sweat".

That was the same teacher who told my class the male lion hunted for the entire pride. He always kept up-to-date with his (20 year old) books. I had to put up with this guy for 2 classes during 3 years, plus a few comments he made about me to my sisters class later on.

Now his son is in rehab, he got divorced, LIVES IN THE SCHOOL, is the janitor and lunch guy too. He'd be out on his ass if he weren't owning the building.

#302494 - 01/30/08 03:09 PM Re: Gym Class Follies. [Re: G.F.V.]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
I think I have a belly ache after reading your response. I wish I could have been there to see it all unfold......

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#302572 - 01/30/08 07:27 PM Re: Gym Class Follies. [Re: G.F.V.]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
 Originally Posted By: RobMan
Both fell on the ground causing my team to erupt in laughter.

I never in my life saw so many people fall to the ground laughing before or since.

Schadenfreude!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12195 Members
73 Forums
43973 Topics
405995 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements