Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#302362 - 01/30/08 06:35 AM How did you came across satanism?
Woglug Offline

Loc: Sheffield, UK
I have been reading though a number of posts on the forum and I am interest in how people where introduced to Satanism. I know I have seen a number of people saying that they where searching for some thing that made sense, or a religion that they could pin there beliefs to.

This wasn't the case for me. Although I am interested to find out what other peoples experiences where. In my case I wasn't searching for a religion in the slightest, in fact I was more than happy calling my self an atheist. I found I didn't have time for what I would call main stream religions. There was always some thing that I found unbelievable, contradictory or just plain unreachable. Granted if people wanted to belive it, it wasn't for me to change there mind, everyone to there own.

Due to this it wasn't until very recently that I had the inclination to research the area of Satanism at all. The way it all started for me was though a like minded friend. He happened to mention that he had been reading up about Satanism and was amazed how much of what he was reading reflected what he believed. For him this isn't unusual as he is interested in belief systems in general, and enjoys reading and researching in this area.

For some reason this sparked my interest, maybe due to my perceived misconception of what Satanism was or just my drive to understood something about a friends interest. In either case I started to read the material on http://www.churchofsatan.com/ and from this purchased a copy of the Satanic Bible.

Like many other I was amazed how what I was reading so strongly reflected what I already believed. All thought at the same time it wasn't as if I was been enlightened, more that my beliefs where been re-enforced. One thing I have been promoting for year is self belief and that my own ability and skill will push me to where I can go, for me Satanism re-enforces that.

Satanism for me isn't something ground braking and new, its some thing I already was. Now I can just label it as that. Although after reading the Satanic Bible the area of greater and lesser magic fascinate me and I will continues to investigate and improve my knowledge of this and other area of Satanism.

Any ways, thanks for listening to my ramblings and I am looking forward to reading a few reply.

Then though investigation and study can the true truth of the matter be found.

#302570 - 01/30/08 07:26 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
ConquerOrPerish Offline

Loc: DC Metro Area
Providence.

I was having a tough time in life getting out of a depression. Then I had a debate with a neo-con friend and he kept making obnoxious comments. He was saying the only reason women have any rights is because of male Christian mercy. He said without God there is no morality and might is right. The phrase might is right intrigued me, so I went to Amazon and put might is right in the search box. Then I read the first 6 pages of Might Is Right by Ragnar Redbeard. I loved it. It was so refreshing that I ordered it promptly and reread parts. It explained why things are the way they are and what to do with that knowledge. The passages were my divorce papers from the herd.

When you search for a book, Amazon automatically suggests certain books that are related. All the suggested books were Satanic! I was shocked and very nervous. But I went to the CoS website and was still shocked and nervous, but kept reading. I read something at the beginning that said "slink away in ignorance or read on" so I read on. I found that these people understood might is right without the usual contempt for certain groups, only for the weak.

edited to add, sometimes I look back and I just think how weird it is that without that obnoxious jerk, I wouldn't have found the best religion.

Edited by ConquerOrPerish (01/30/08 07:27 PM)

"Making a difference makes sense only if you are convinced that you have mastered the subject at hand to the point where any difference you might make would be for the better." -Thomas Sowell

#302577 - 01/30/08 07:39 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Barnes & Noble.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personís faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#302581 - 01/30/08 07:49 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: ConquerOrPerish]
Shegeek Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Lesee...

Alright. Picture being about 15 or 16, trotting to concert after concert with your friends. Not really knowing what goth was but knowing how incredibly slimming the color black is!...

Eh..Anyways. I think I'd gone to the book store on south street and picked up a copy of Lords of Chaos. I ended up sort of just picking up the Satanic Bible that day as well. I had a few friends that were beginning to call themselves Satanists and I was genuinely interested in the subject. Alot of them were former Wiccans or Pagans what have you, prior to that mostly nice Catholic kids that were doing the rebellion thing.

Anyways I read it, but I was pretty young. I got the basic message, and got the fact that there was no actual theistic worship involved. I chatted with my parents about it, as did my brother who also read the book, and we spoke about the parallels to our own humanism, atheism. Real good discussions.

After that, my friends wound up sort of ruining the original message for me. They started doing rituals, cursing people, all jolly good fun at first till they started bringing Satan as an actual deity into it.

Enter the Lucifarian Vampire. He was older than us, and managed to woo a few of the females in our little group. After that entered the Pagan Satanist and his girlfriend, who started forming us into a Coven. Everyone just sort of went along with it.

I remember one night they wanted all the girls to do a ritual to save ourselves from demonic possession. All of us were to go topless and do this chant to ward off the evil spirits. The chant...and thank god I was a movie buff...was word for word "The Charm of Making" From the movie Excalibur.

So I said a quiet fuck that and wandered off to a corner with two other people who had decent bullshit detectors and smoked cigarettes. I called the one dude on the bullshit later on. He finally admitted years later he was simply trying to see some tits. Fair enough.

After that my idea of Satanism was marred by some of it's practitioners, if you can even really call them that. A bunch of people that wanted a non comformist way to feel important, which is human and very normal at that age, but it put a really bad taste in my mouth.

I was happy being back in my atheist mindset and occasionally picked up the book now and again, but hadn't looked at it in years until my boyfriend started getting really interested in the subject.

That's why I'm here. He thought a second read, as well as some extra information would help me get over my initial misconceptions of Satanism if I looked at it as an adult.

So here I bees \:\)

Kurt Vonnegut

#302587 - 01/30/08 08:14 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I was not going to respond to this post.
Actually, I read the title of the thread a couple of times, and did not even look at it…until just now.
Interestingly enough, it fit with a couple of things I have been thinking about; so, I am glad that I did.

I will make a deal with you. I will answer your question, if you allow me to add something. Can we strike that deal? Good.

I learned what Satanism was after reading an article on a web site called Internet Infidels. I am not sure if that is still up or not. I do know that, when I searched my real name, the only entry was something I wrote on that site.

I read an article that stated that the belief in a god was not necessary in the establishment of a religion. Two examples given were Theravada Buddhism and Satanism. I had studied Buddhism for years, as well as Yoga, so I was not surprised by that. I knew little about Satanism. I rectified that forthwith.

Like many here, I found out that there were a few different groups claiming the name “Satanism”. I read through the Church of Satan site, along with all of the articles and interviews. I knew that this was the real deal. I purchased The Satanic Bible…read it…handed it to my wife and told her she needed to read it, since she was married to a Satanist. I then purchased the other books written by Anton LaVey.

Like you, I was not searching for anything. I was happy where I was at, and enjoyed what I was doing. My introduction to Satanism came in doing that. True…if you ever happen to read an early essay I wrote I did find a sense of power in claiming that name. Yes, there has been growth and maturity after realizing that Satanism is a religion, which suggests a discipline…a way of life. This brings me to the part I want to add…

While Satanists are born, not made; and, one either is or is not…there is no “conversion” in Satanism…it is also true that Satanism takes study. I suspect that only a rare few discover that they are Satanists who have already matured as one. Most of us come in with some aspects already evident…or how would we have known we were Satanists…but, either due to ignorance, youth or lack of discipline, there were other aspects that were present…but more potentially. Things usually need to be tightened up, here and there.

In other words, Satanism is a discipline. It’s getting up, and putting it into action. It is also discovering things you might not have thought of before. Perhaps there are areas where our actions are not consistent with whom we are. That happens.

In a nutshell…it is nice to remember how we got here; but, it is more important to ask where we have gone from there…and where we are continuing to go.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#302588 - 01/30/08 08:17 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
In retrospect, my two word post doesn't hold up well vis-a-vis these short stories.

Damn rascals.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personís faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#302592 - 01/30/08 08:27 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Poetaster]
Woglug Offline

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Well it was valid enough, I never asked for a long story \:D everyone to there own.

Then though investigation and study can the true truth of the matter be found.

#302602 - 01/30/08 09:12 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

When I was 16, I went to a 'Wu-Tang Clan' concert. But this was no ordinary hip-hop show. All the lights were off and there were many candles lit on stage.

The rap performers entered the stage and they all wore dark hooded robes. They all raised their hands in the sign of the horns. The crowd went nuts and did the same.

Next thing I saw was the Ol' Dirty Bastard bringing forth a cardboard box full of little black books. He started throwing them out to the crowd. I looked at mine and was like "Huh? What the hell is this? The Satanic Bible?"

The rap beat came on and Method Man was shouting "Okay all you motherfuckers let me hear you say haaaaaaayyyyy!". The crowd replied "Haaaaaayyyyy!".

Then Method Man shouted "Let me hear you say Hoooooooo!". The crowd replied "Hoooooooo!".

Then Method Man shouted "Now just throw your Satanic Bibles in tha air! And wave them like you just don't care! And if you're down with the Devil on every single level let me hear you say Oh Yeaaahhh!". The crowd replied "Oh Yeeaaahhh!"

Best concert ever.

(I kid) \:D

#302605 - 01/30/08 09:27 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Callier]
Muse Offline

CoS Member

Loc: In Your Dreams
Hmmm...without going into the short story...Satanism was not something that I "discovered" or "found", it was always here. I just quit denying it.

HS!
(Currently on hiatus while I attend to grad school, but I have every intention of bringing the show back when the time is right!)

The holy trinity: Me, Myself, and I.

"Does anyone ever realize life while they are living it? Every, every minute?"
- Emily, Our Town, by Thornton Wilder

"Life's like a ballgame. You gotta take a swing at whatever comes along before you wake up and find it's the ninth inning." ~Vera (Ann Savage) in Detour

#302607 - 01/30/08 09:28 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Callier]
Pact_Primeval Offline

Loc: Derby, England
A friend of mine brought it up for no reason. I listened to him, and it sounded rediculous...

Turns out he read it completely wrong, and by my own interests in theology i was naturally drawn to researching it, until i hit something i never had before with religion. I was reading me.

My girlfriend knew something about it, and had some memories of people who were claiming to be Satanists, yet doing crap knows what. Contradictory to what Satanists stand for, believing in Satan, goddesses, gods, performing rituals as if they were spiritual. We got into debates and whatnot hense why she is here and helped my research into it more, and in return she learned the differences between me and those who had claimed to be.

#302630 - 01/30/08 09:48 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I was like 3 years old and my aunt told me I had a devil's face...

But the first information about the Satanism as a religion was through a book named "Satan wants you". I was looking around a used books store and I found it, wrongly placed among science-fiction books. I was intrigued by title and the picture on the cover (which was Doctor LaVey pointing his finger at the reader) so I took the book home.

Later I realized the night I bought the book was Walpurgis Night.

That interesting coincidence and the content of the book prompted me to seek more information about the Church of Satan. Next I bought The Satanic Bible... and the rest if history.

Edited by Tha_Pig (01/31/08 08:44 AM)
Edit Reason: extended version

#302635 - 01/30/08 09:53 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Old_Pig]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Mr. Pig...or may I call you Tha?
I am not saying this is what happened; but, personal experience has taught me that when someone says your face looks like Hell...that is not the same as you have a devil's face.
Just saying. ;\)

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#302650 - 01/30/08 10:27 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
My religion professor. We were studying Rudolf Otto and the numinous. We were discussing the importance of religious symbols, music, architecture and imagery during ritual to "inflict" that special kind of awe in people. My teacher made a quick comment about how rituals work in Satanism. That comment got me interested so I went back to my dorm after class and did some research and liked everything that I read. It fit very nicely with me.

#302686 - 01/31/08 12:48 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: tovasshi]
DaggerJack Offline

Loc: California, USA
A valued friend gave me a copy of the Devil's Notebook as a birthday gift because he thought it would make me laugh. It did. Things snowballed from there.

#302856 - 01/31/08 02:58 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
Satanism has had a place in my mind ever since I was a young child. Apparently my deceased grandfather was a Satanist and it was with hushed tones that members of my family would speak of him. Since I have no memories of the man I have nothing to say either way about him being a Satanist. Essentially though, my self righteous Christian blood relations had planted that seed in my head.

I spent the majority of my years not knowing that Satanism was a legitimate religion. Whenever the subject of Satanists and Satanism surfaced in the media or from the voices of others it was usually the same ritualistic sacrifice stories, presumably performed by dysfunctional teenagers.

As an anti-social youth I would spend most of my 'interaction' time just observing the others my age. It was like watching a relentless sitcom or better yet an ape show on the Discovery Channel. I began to recognize patterns and was able to develop an intuition about how people physically behave in relation to the information they are sending and receiving to each other. Feeling like Jane Goodall I would sit and watch, waiting for signs of intelligent life because frankly I felt I was on a level that nobody was able to meet me on. And who enjoys stooping?

So on I went through life like this. Occasionally I would meet someone I deemed interesting and befriend them. This was not a regular occurrence and is the main reason that I detest people in general so much.

'Struggle' is a gross understatement when I refer to my younger years. This forced me to look in other areas of life to find personal fulfillment. I spent much of this anxious energy on artistic endeavors and learning non curriculum things. Thinking back, the knowledge I gained on my personal time has been more useful than the knowledge offered by the public schooling system.

As I mentioned, Satan had been a recurring theme and by the time I reached high school I couldn't escape this Satan figure. The heavy metal music that I was listening to at the time mentioned the word Satan so often that the word lost its edge for me. It was no longer taboo because I had experienced it so often I had become desensitized to any negative emotions attached to using the word.

During that period nothing materialized as far as religion is concerned except for that constant struggle to push it out of my life as it was being forced upon me with an overbearing urgency, causing much of the stress and anxieties that even to this day tend to surface in certain exceptionally unique circumstances, such as emotionally charged situations.

It wasn't until about 2002 that I really began to look at Satanism as a legitimate option. The first big push towards Satanism was the book Lords Of Chaos. A year or so after reading that book I began to research some of the ideas presented in it. Satanism kept creeping into the picture until I decided to do some research on it.

I had spoken with friends about Satanism over the years since and a few of them have a more than rudimentary understanding of the religion. At one point I was handed a Necronomicon that was filled with Crowley gibberish. I couldn't even read more than a couple pages. After thumbing through it the ONLY line worth keeping from the book was that "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law." quote which hasn't as of yet proved useful to me in any way.

Eventually in around 2004 I discovered The Church of Satan official website and through it I had found my way to these message boards. At one point I had registered and got flamed to a crisp for being weak and whining. The interaction only proved to fuel the fire and get me to seriously consider Satanism.

You can just read through my posting history to see how Satanism has affected my life.

Edited by HoundDog (02/01/08 11:12 AM)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12196 Members
73 Forums
43974 Topics
406002 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements