Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#302864 - 01/31/08 03:21 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
The short answer: I rediscovered The Satanic Bible when I was about 21. Found the book, found that I couldn't put it down while in the store, so I bought it. Then I read it over and over again, as an adult.

The long answer: I had read The Satanic Bible when I was about 14, but not critically at all. It was just one book of many in my mish-mash of occult dabbling. In my mind, I wanted it to be a book about devil worship, so that's what I "saw" in it, as the metaphors went over my head and I pretty much skipped right to the ritualistic stuff, picking out individual quotes without context. I had also grown up in the 80s during the whole "Satanic Panic", so there was a lot of misinformation going on from preachers, heavy metal bands, and sensationalist talk show hosts.

Then like many who do that kind of directionless dabbling, I found my way into the comfortably defined yet self-righteous religion of Wicca. Then I grew out of that to try to find far-Eastern religions like Taoism. Basically, my religious history read like the chapter "The God You Save May Be Yourself", going from one carnal-denying philosophy to the next.

Fast forward about 7 or 8 years later, to when I was in college. I was an adult, no longer in a Catholic school environment, and not living at my parents. At the time I remember reading from different sources about Lucifer being an angel and the "bringer of light" in realms outside of Christianity. I had also been thinking now and then over the years about the carnal aspect of human nature, depicted as "The Beast" in both Clive Barker's Cabal and William Golding's Lord of the Flies. I stopped at a book store and was checking out angel books like The Book of Enoch and also saw The Satanic Bible.

I started reading through the latter, and when I read "The God You Save May Be Yourself", the truth hit me like a ton of bricks. I could no longer deny those thoughts I kept pushing to the back of my mind: that there is the carnal and only the carnal (no spiritual), that deities are a human invention, that there's no shame in anger or pride, and that humans are really just animals with a wild imagination. I bought the book, read it countless times (having to hide it from my hippie girlfriend at the time who flipped out over seeing it), made my way over to the wasteland newsgroup known as alt.satanism, and it grew from there.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#302879 - 01/31/08 05:08 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
Illuminatus Offline

Loc: Hellsinki, Finland
I had never been interested in anything "occult" but if I remember correctly I came across satanism accidentally in wikipedia and thought it wasnt half-bad. Then at 19(in the army) I read the Satanic Bible and thought: "damn, these are my ideas dammit!" That was about three years ago and been learning more and more about the religion and feeling it to be fit for me more and more.

#302964 - 01/31/08 09:02 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Illuminatus]
phoenixrisen Offline

Loc: Manchester, England
I was brought up in an atheist household but started to attend church with my Catholic mother when she was going through a hard time, for moral support and solidarity more than anything else. I even went to Sunday school and was actively involved in the church, but I was too young to really think about what I believed. When I started to think, I stopped believing.

Religion still fascinated me, however, and I looked into various things, from Neopaganism to Buddhism. I felt drawn to the magic and ritual elements of some religions but the philosophy always seemed trite and unrealistic and, moreover, the more I thought about things, the less I could believe in the concept of gods, goddesses, spirits and so on.

From the very little that I could find on Luciferianism, the philosophy seemed the closest to my own (I now see that much of it is just poorly ripped from The Satanic Bible). But even though I'd read that it was possible to see Lucifer as simply an archetype, most of the Luciferian 'Orders' and 'Churches' were nevertheless full of occult nonsense and hierarchies within these groups were based purely on 'occult/magickal knowledge'.

I quickly (very quickly) became disenchanted with Luciferianism and decided that religion was simply not for me. Due to this and the things that I'd learned from studying religion and philosophy in high school, I concluded that I was simply an atheist and that was absolutely fine.

I don't recall the point at which I first heard about Satanism, but it was probably during my early teens. Although I gathered that Satanism is nothing to do with actually worshipping a supernatural entity at all, let alone that which Christianity calls 'the Devil', I still didn't have a very high opinion of it (if one can have a valid opinion based on so little knowledge and experience). It was only a few months ago that I saw a copy of The Satanic Bible and decided to buy it, just for the sake of interest and self-education.

I don't claim to be exceptionally well-read, but this was a reading experience unlike none other that I'd had. It was so clear and logical (which is why I was momentarily baffled when I first came across an example of those people who somehow manage to convince themselves that the book says something other than what it actually says), refreshingly honest and sensible. I was reading thoughts and ideas that I'd been having for as long as I'd started thinking for myself.

If, at any point, I found myself anywhere near the verge of disagreeing or feeling 'alienated', the next paragraph would explain something further and it would all make perfect sense.

There were just a few examples of this, but the one that stood out the most was when I was reading the chapter on sexuality. It was all well and good, but seemed rather irrelevant to me: I'm asexual. Then I turned the page and I found the first written acceptance (that I've come across) of asexuality as a natural state for some individuals and not something that needs to be 'fixed'. It was such a shock (a good shock, of course) to read that in a book that was written decades ago, a book appertaining to a religion that celebrates sexuality (most institutions and sources that celebrate sexuality regard asexuality as an abnormal antithesis to that which they're celebrating).

I found my way to some so-called Satanist groups and forums elsewhere on the Internet, which seemed a-okay on the surface but were filled with pseudo-Satanists who claimed to live by TSB yet somehow found tedious ways of justifying their self-destructive behaviours and belief in supernatural entities, to which fellow idiots would reply with sycophantic praises for their 'independence'. I left those groups almost as soon as I had joined and, while reading material on the Church of Satan website, came across this fine place.

She's not little, no minion like me--
That's why she ensnared him.

- The Laboratory by Robert Browning

#303063 - 02/01/08 08:46 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
Adveser Offline

Loc: California
I came across some kind of stupid christian paranoia about RPG's being devil worshipping while looking for diablo II hacks and mod building. I thought it was hilarious and wanted to look for more. I typed Satan into a google search and saw the Church of Satan as the no. 1 site. I thought "wow, this is gonna be funny: a religion based around religious parody" so I clicked the link, read the site and sent off a PM of stupid questions we see all the time here at LTTD to The wonderful Peggy Nadramia that cleared things up quite a bit. Really loved the rationality and everything about it and have always loved the classic demons and satan imagery (because I am a heavy metal nut) and decided that if the glove fit pretty well, let's wear it! Read the satanic bible about a year later and the other books later. Everyone at this place was more than helpful and insightful when I started posting here in 2003 as "Joker" and I later renamed myself in sith tradition as Adveser. I'm on my 3rd registration since the other lapsed due to non-internet connectivity.

I found out about a year ago that I'm actually a third generation atheist from my dad's side, whom I don't really know, so that further cemented things right into place.

#303142 - 02/01/08 03:57 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Adveser]
Scion Offline

Loc: London, UK
Around xmas 2006 I decided I wanted to read about Satanism - really, it just occurred to me to do so. There are so many depictions of Satanism in various media I wanted to see what I could find. I started on Wikipedia which inevitably gave me the info on Lavey and the COS. The next day I headed to a bookstore, purchased the TSB and kept on going.

I didn't join here until a good 10 months later, but my Satanic perspective has been grown immeasurably by my contact with such a wonderful bunch of reprobates (and Reprobate, of course).

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

www.vampiretemple.com - are you one of us?

#303204 - 02/01/08 08:51 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
Ram_Abbalah Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Reno, NV
I read a lot.

I read The Satanic Bible.

The End.
"...I have built a mechanical sanctuary. In it copper bats fly on electric beams, brass rats scuttle in plastic cellars, robot skeletons dance; robot vampires, harlequins, wolves, and white phantoms, compounded of chemical and ingenuity, live here."

"Usher II"
The Martian Chronicles
by Ray Bradbury

#303226 - 02/01/08 10:20 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Ram_Abbalah]
Risen08 Offline
CoS Member

A co-worker asked me to join the masons. While looking for info in Barnes and Noble, Satan speaks jumped out at me. I bought it and finished it. Read most of the COS site and many posts here. Picked up the Satanic Bible (read almost half today)and The Devil's Notebook.

BTW I don't think the masons would want me..........

#303247 - 02/01/08 11:39 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Risen08]
hellbent666 Offline
Banned

Loc: Colorado
An older friend of mine did a report on Satanism for our Religions class at this hippy k-12 school that I used to go to. I bought a copy of TSB and have been studying ever since! Manson was also a factor in me reading LaVey's literature but not the main one. I just got tired of getting bible enemas by my parents and their friends so I did my homework on all kinds of religions until I found what worked for me. 8 years later and still going!

#303261 - 02/02/08 12:10 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
L0ki Offline

Loc: Scandinavia
The short answer would be:

I was born this way.

1. The short memory of the human race.

2. History repeats itself.

3. The short memory of the human race.

#303267 - 02/02/08 12:35 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: L0ki]
Direktor Offline
CoS Member

I explained how I first discovered The Satanic Bible in my introduction, but as far as the philosophy; I can tell you without an ounce of doubt that it has been with me since the moment I could create memory, the moment my heart started beating - very much like the devastating strikes of lighting that brought life to Frankenstein's creature.

When I think of images from my childhood, I do so with melodies of the Satanic.

"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior."
-Hippolyte Taine

#303275 - 02/02/08 02:21 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: ]
Dean Tempest Offline

Loc: lexington, ky
warhammer 40k, the table top miniatures wargame ironically made me a satanist.

yeah i know, your going what the hell.

well i was reading up on the games background, a chapter called the horus heresy (wiki it sometime, its rather good). and they had some comparisons between the fall of horus to the gods of chaos and turning on the empire to the fall of lucifer in the bible.

so having never actually done much research on the subject, i started reading. satan, lucifer, all these things eventually linked me to the Church of Satan website.

^_^

#303291 - 02/02/08 08:08 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: L0ki]
Risen08 Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: The Black Waltz
The short answer would be:

I was born this way.

I think I was created into this. It just took 42 years to figure it out.

#303502 - 02/03/08 06:12 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Risen08]
Adveser Offline

Loc: California
Created? by whom? elaborate.

#303620 - 02/03/08 02:15 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Risen08]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
 Originally Posted By: Risen08
I think I was created into this. It just took 42 years to figure it out.

The expression "Satanists are born, not made", to me, doesn't necessarily mean that all Satanists have been completely consistent with all the core aspects of Satanic philosophy their entire lives. There are certainly Satanists who've had self-denial phases and what not early in life, as described in the chapter "The God You Save May Be Yourself" like I mentioned. The important thing is that by the time they read The Satanic Bible, Satanism was something that felt like natural fit, not a "conversion". So Satanists are "born, not made" in that sense.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#303628 - 02/03/08 02:40 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Bill_M]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I would like to add, that the phrase is also the reverse of the apologist Tertullian's "Christians are made, not born."

The implication is that Satanists do not fight our nature, as opposed to virtually every religion out there that expects man to force himself into an impossible ideal.

Although I also take the phrase to refer to Satanism as a minority default personality type, and not that every person, even one's who accept their carnal nature, respond well to the Satanic worldview.

Far from it.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12018 Members
73 Forums
43828 Topics
405224 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements