Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#302362 - 01/30/08 06:35 AM How did you came across satanism?
Woglug Offline

Loc: Sheffield, UK
I have been reading though a number of posts on the forum and I am interest in how people where introduced to Satanism. I know I have seen a number of people saying that they where searching for some thing that made sense, or a religion that they could pin there beliefs to.

This wasn't the case for me. Although I am interested to find out what other peoples experiences where. In my case I wasn't searching for a religion in the slightest, in fact I was more than happy calling my self an atheist. I found I didn't have time for what I would call main stream religions. There was always some thing that I found unbelievable, contradictory or just plain unreachable. Granted if people wanted to belive it, it wasn't for me to change there mind, everyone to there own.

Due to this it wasn't until very recently that I had the inclination to research the area of Satanism at all. The way it all started for me was though a like minded friend. He happened to mention that he had been reading up about Satanism and was amazed how much of what he was reading reflected what he believed. For him this isn't unusual as he is interested in belief systems in general, and enjoys reading and researching in this area.

For some reason this sparked my interest, maybe due to my perceived misconception of what Satanism was or just my drive to understood something about a friends interest. In either case I started to read the material on http://www.churchofsatan.com/ and from this purchased a copy of the Satanic Bible.

Like many other I was amazed how what I was reading so strongly reflected what I already believed. All thought at the same time it wasn't as if I was been enlightened, more that my beliefs where been re-enforced. One thing I have been promoting for year is self belief and that my own ability and skill will push me to where I can go, for me Satanism re-enforces that.

Satanism for me isn't something ground braking and new, its some thing I already was. Now I can just label it as that. Although after reading the Satanic Bible the area of greater and lesser magic fascinate me and I will continues to investigate and improve my knowledge of this and other area of Satanism.

Any ways, thanks for listening to my ramblings and I am looking forward to reading a few reply.

Then though investigation and study can the true truth of the matter be found.

#302570 - 01/30/08 07:26 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
ConquerOrPerish Offline

Loc: DC Metro Area
Providence.

I was having a tough time in life getting out of a depression. Then I had a debate with a neo-con friend and he kept making obnoxious comments. He was saying the only reason women have any rights is because of male Christian mercy. He said without God there is no morality and might is right. The phrase might is right intrigued me, so I went to Amazon and put might is right in the search box. Then I read the first 6 pages of Might Is Right by Ragnar Redbeard. I loved it. It was so refreshing that I ordered it promptly and reread parts. It explained why things are the way they are and what to do with that knowledge. The passages were my divorce papers from the herd.

When you search for a book, Amazon automatically suggests certain books that are related. All the suggested books were Satanic! I was shocked and very nervous. But I went to the CoS website and was still shocked and nervous, but kept reading. I read something at the beginning that said "slink away in ignorance or read on" so I read on. I found that these people understood might is right without the usual contempt for certain groups, only for the weak.

edited to add, sometimes I look back and I just think how weird it is that without that obnoxious jerk, I wouldn't have found the best religion.

Edited by ConquerOrPerish (01/30/08 07:27 PM)

"Making a difference makes sense only if you are convinced that you have mastered the subject at hand to the point where any difference you might make would be for the better." -Thomas Sowell

#302577 - 01/30/08 07:39 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Barnes & Noble.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#302581 - 01/30/08 07:49 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: ConquerOrPerish]
Shegeek Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Lesee...

Alright. Picture being about 15 or 16, trotting to concert after concert with your friends. Not really knowing what goth was but knowing how incredibly slimming the color black is!...

Eh..Anyways. I think I'd gone to the book store on south street and picked up a copy of Lords of Chaos. I ended up sort of just picking up the Satanic Bible that day as well. I had a few friends that were beginning to call themselves Satanists and I was genuinely interested in the subject. Alot of them were former Wiccans or Pagans what have you, prior to that mostly nice Catholic kids that were doing the rebellion thing.

Anyways I read it, but I was pretty young. I got the basic message, and got the fact that there was no actual theistic worship involved. I chatted with my parents about it, as did my brother who also read the book, and we spoke about the parallels to our own humanism, atheism. Real good discussions.

After that, my friends wound up sort of ruining the original message for me. They started doing rituals, cursing people, all jolly good fun at first till they started bringing Satan as an actual deity into it.

Enter the Lucifarian Vampire. He was older than us, and managed to woo a few of the females in our little group. After that entered the Pagan Satanist and his girlfriend, who started forming us into a Coven. Everyone just sort of went along with it.

I remember one night they wanted all the girls to do a ritual to save ourselves from demonic possession. All of us were to go topless and do this chant to ward off the evil spirits. The chant...and thank god I was a movie buff...was word for word "The Charm of Making" From the movie Excalibur.

So I said a quiet fuck that and wandered off to a corner with two other people who had decent bullshit detectors and smoked cigarettes. I called the one dude on the bullshit later on. He finally admitted years later he was simply trying to see some tits. Fair enough.

After that my idea of Satanism was marred by some of it's practitioners, if you can even really call them that. A bunch of people that wanted a non comformist way to feel important, which is human and very normal at that age, but it put a really bad taste in my mouth.

I was happy being back in my atheist mindset and occasionally picked up the book now and again, but hadn't looked at it in years until my boyfriend started getting really interested in the subject.

That's why I'm here. He thought a second read, as well as some extra information would help me get over my initial misconceptions of Satanism if I looked at it as an adult.

So here I bees \:\)

Kurt Vonnegut

#302587 - 01/30/08 08:14 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I was not going to respond to this post.
Actually, I read the title of the thread a couple of times, and did not even look at it…until just now.
Interestingly enough, it fit with a couple of things I have been thinking about; so, I am glad that I did.

I will make a deal with you. I will answer your question, if you allow me to add something. Can we strike that deal? Good.

I learned what Satanism was after reading an article on a web site called Internet Infidels. I am not sure if that is still up or not. I do know that, when I searched my real name, the only entry was something I wrote on that site.

I read an article that stated that the belief in a god was not necessary in the establishment of a religion. Two examples given were Theravada Buddhism and Satanism. I had studied Buddhism for years, as well as Yoga, so I was not surprised by that. I knew little about Satanism. I rectified that forthwith.

Like many here, I found out that there were a few different groups claiming the name “Satanism”. I read through the Church of Satan site, along with all of the articles and interviews. I knew that this was the real deal. I purchased The Satanic Bible…read it…handed it to my wife and told her she needed to read it, since she was married to a Satanist. I then purchased the other books written by Anton LaVey.

Like you, I was not searching for anything. I was happy where I was at, and enjoyed what I was doing. My introduction to Satanism came in doing that. True…if you ever happen to read an early essay I wrote I did find a sense of power in claiming that name. Yes, there has been growth and maturity after realizing that Satanism is a religion, which suggests a discipline…a way of life. This brings me to the part I want to add…

While Satanists are born, not made; and, one either is or is not…there is no “conversion” in Satanism…it is also true that Satanism takes study. I suspect that only a rare few discover that they are Satanists who have already matured as one. Most of us come in with some aspects already evident…or how would we have known we were Satanists…but, either due to ignorance, youth or lack of discipline, there were other aspects that were present…but more potentially. Things usually need to be tightened up, here and there.

In other words, Satanism is a discipline. It’s getting up, and putting it into action. It is also discovering things you might not have thought of before. Perhaps there are areas where our actions are not consistent with whom we are. That happens.

In a nutshell…it is nice to remember how we got here; but, it is more important to ask where we have gone from there…and where we are continuing to go.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#302588 - 01/30/08 08:17 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

In retrospect, my two word post doesn't hold up well vis-a-vis these short stories.

Damn rascals.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#302592 - 01/30/08 08:27 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Poetaster]
Woglug Offline

Well it was valid enough, I never asked for a long story \:D everyone to there own.

#302602 - 01/30/08 09:12 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

When I was 16, I went to a 'Wu-Tang Clan' concert. But this was no ordinary hip-hop show. All the lights were off and there were many candles lit on stage.

The rap performers entered the stage and they all wore dark hooded robes. They all raised their hands in the sign of the horns. The crowd went nuts and did the same.

Next thing I saw was the Ol' Dirty Bastard bringing forth a cardboard box full of little black books. He started throwing them out to the crowd. I looked at mine and was like "Huh? What the hell is this? The Satanic Bible?"

The rap beat came on and Method Man was shouting "Okay all you motherfuckers let me hear you say haaaaaaayyyyy!". The crowd replied "Haaaaaayyyyy!".

Then Method Man shouted "Let me hear you say Hoooooooo!". The crowd replied "Hoooooooo!".

Then Method Man shouted "Now just throw your Satanic Bibles in tha air! And wave them like you just don't care! And if you're down with the Devil on every single level let me hear you say Oh Yeaaahhh!". The crowd replied "Oh Yeeaaahhh!"

Best concert ever.

(I kid) \:D

#302605 - 01/30/08 09:27 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Callier]
Muse Offline

CoS Member

Loc: In Your Dreams
Hmmm...without going into the short story...Satanism was not something that I "discovered" or "found", it was always here. I just quit denying it.

HS!
(Currently on hiatus while I attend to grad school, but I have every intention of bringing the show back when the time is right!)

The holy trinity: Me, Myself, and I.

"Does anyone ever realize life while they are living it? Every, every minute?"
- Emily, Our Town, by Thornton Wilder

"Life's like a ballgame. You gotta take a swing at whatever comes along before you wake up and find it's the ninth inning." ~Vera (Ann Savage) in Detour

#302607 - 01/30/08 09:28 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Callier]
Pact_Primeval Offline

Loc: Derby, England
A friend of mine brought it up for no reason. I listened to him, and it sounded rediculous...

Turns out he read it completely wrong, and by my own interests in theology i was naturally drawn to researching it, until i hit something i never had before with religion. I was reading me.

My girlfriend knew something about it, and had some memories of people who were claiming to be Satanists, yet doing crap knows what. Contradictory to what Satanists stand for, believing in Satan, goddesses, gods, performing rituals as if they were spiritual. We got into debates and whatnot hense why she is here and helped my research into it more, and in return she learned the differences between me and those who had claimed to be.

#302630 - 01/30/08 09:48 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I was like 3 years old and my aunt told me I had a devil's face...

But the first information about the Satanism as a religion was through a book named "Satan wants you". I was looking around a used books store and I found it, wrongly placed among science-fiction books. I was intrigued by title and the picture on the cover (which was Doctor LaVey pointing his finger at the reader) so I took the book home.

Later I realized the night I bought the book was Walpurgis Night.

That interesting coincidence and the content of the book prompted me to seek more information about the Church of Satan. Next I bought The Satanic Bible... and the rest if history.

Edited by Tha_Pig (01/31/08 08:44 AM)
Edit Reason: extended version

#302635 - 01/30/08 09:53 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Old_Pig]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Mr. Pig...or may I call you Tha?
I am not saying this is what happened; but, personal experience has taught me that when someone says your face looks like Hell...that is not the same as you have a devil's face.
Just saying. ;\)

#302650 - 01/30/08 10:27 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
My religion professor. We were studying Rudolf Otto and the numinous. We were discussing the importance of religious symbols, music, architecture and imagery during ritual to "inflict" that special kind of awe in people. My teacher made a quick comment about how rituals work in Satanism. That comment got me interested so I went back to my dorm after class and did some research and liked everything that I read. It fit very nicely with me.

#302686 - 01/31/08 12:48 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: tovasshi]
DaggerJack Offline

Loc: California, USA
A valued friend gave me a copy of the Devil's Notebook as a birthday gift because he thought it would make me laugh. It did. Things snowballed from there.

#302856 - 01/31/08 02:58 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
Satanism has had a place in my mind ever since I was a young child. Apparently my deceased grandfather was a Satanist and it was with hushed tones that members of my family would speak of him. Since I have no memories of the man I have nothing to say either way about him being a Satanist. Essentially though, my self righteous Christian blood relations had planted that seed in my head.

I spent the majority of my years not knowing that Satanism was a legitimate religion. Whenever the subject of Satanists and Satanism surfaced in the media or from the voices of others it was usually the same ritualistic sacrifice stories, presumably performed by dysfunctional teenagers.

As an anti-social youth I would spend most of my 'interaction' time just observing the others my age. It was like watching a relentless sitcom or better yet an ape show on the Discovery Channel. I began to recognize patterns and was able to develop an intuition about how people physically behave in relation to the information they are sending and receiving to each other. Feeling like Jane Goodall I would sit and watch, waiting for signs of intelligent life because frankly I felt I was on a level that nobody was able to meet me on. And who enjoys stooping?

So on I went through life like this. Occasionally I would meet someone I deemed interesting and befriend them. This was not a regular occurrence and is the main reason that I detest people in general so much.

'Struggle' is a gross understatement when I refer to my younger years. This forced me to look in other areas of life to find personal fulfillment. I spent much of this anxious energy on artistic endeavors and learning non curriculum things. Thinking back, the knowledge I gained on my personal time has been more useful than the knowledge offered by the public schooling system.

As I mentioned, Satan had been a recurring theme and by the time I reached high school I couldn't escape this Satan figure. The heavy metal music that I was listening to at the time mentioned the word Satan so often that the word lost its edge for me. It was no longer taboo because I had experienced it so often I had become desensitized to any negative emotions attached to using the word.

During that period nothing materialized as far as religion is concerned except for that constant struggle to push it out of my life as it was being forced upon me with an overbearing urgency, causing much of the stress and anxieties that even to this day tend to surface in certain exceptionally unique circumstances, such as emotionally charged situations.

It wasn't until about 2002 that I really began to look at Satanism as a legitimate option. The first big push towards Satanism was the book Lords Of Chaos. A year or so after reading that book I began to research some of the ideas presented in it. Satanism kept creeping into the picture until I decided to do some research on it.

I had spoken with friends about Satanism over the years since and a few of them have a more than rudimentary understanding of the religion. At one point I was handed a Necronomicon that was filled with Crowley gibberish. I couldn't even read more than a couple pages. After thumbing through it the ONLY line worth keeping from the book was that "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law." quote which hasn't as of yet proved useful to me in any way.

Eventually in around 2004 I discovered The Church of Satan official website and through it I had found my way to these message boards. At one point I had registered and got flamed to a crisp for being weak and whining. The interaction only proved to fuel the fire and get me to seriously consider Satanism.

You can just read through my posting history to see how Satanism has affected my life.

Edited by HoundDog (02/01/08 11:12 AM)

#302864 - 01/31/08 03:21 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
The short answer: I rediscovered The Satanic Bible when I was about 21. Found the book, found that I couldn't put it down while in the store, so I bought it. Then I read it over and over again, as an adult.

The long answer: I had read The Satanic Bible when I was about 14, but not critically at all. It was just one book of many in my mish-mash of occult dabbling. In my mind, I wanted it to be a book about devil worship, so that's what I "saw" in it, as the metaphors went over my head and I pretty much skipped right to the ritualistic stuff, picking out individual quotes without context. I had also grown up in the 80s during the whole "Satanic Panic", so there was a lot of misinformation going on from preachers, heavy metal bands, and sensationalist talk show hosts.

Then like many who do that kind of directionless dabbling, I found my way into the comfortably defined yet self-righteous religion of Wicca. Then I grew out of that to try to find far-Eastern religions like Taoism. Basically, my religious history read like the chapter "The God You Save May Be Yourself", going from one carnal-denying philosophy to the next.

Fast forward about 7 or 8 years later, to when I was in college. I was an adult, no longer in a Catholic school environment, and not living at my parents. At the time I remember reading from different sources about Lucifer being an angel and the "bringer of light" in realms outside of Christianity. I had also been thinking now and then over the years about the carnal aspect of human nature, depicted as "The Beast" in both Clive Barker's Cabal and William Golding's Lord of the Flies. I stopped at a book store and was checking out angel books like The Book of Enoch and also saw The Satanic Bible.

I started reading through the latter, and when I read "The God You Save May Be Yourself", the truth hit me like a ton of bricks. I could no longer deny those thoughts I kept pushing to the back of my mind: that there is the carnal and only the carnal (no spiritual), that deities are a human invention, that there's no shame in anger or pride, and that humans are really just animals with a wild imagination. I bought the book, read it countless times (having to hide it from my hippie girlfriend at the time who flipped out over seeing it), made my way over to the wasteland newsgroup known as alt.satanism, and it grew from there.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#302879 - 01/31/08 05:08 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
Illuminatus Offline

Loc: Hellsinki, Finland
I had never been interested in anything "occult" but if I remember correctly I came across satanism accidentally in wikipedia and thought it wasnt half-bad. Then at 19(in the army) I read the Satanic Bible and thought: "damn, these are my ideas dammit!" That was about three years ago and been learning more and more about the religion and feeling it to be fit for me more and more.

#302964 - 01/31/08 09:02 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Illuminatus]
phoenixrisen Offline

Loc: Manchester, England
I was brought up in an atheist household but started to attend church with my Catholic mother when she was going through a hard time, for moral support and solidarity more than anything else. I even went to Sunday school and was actively involved in the church, but I was too young to really think about what I believed. When I started to think, I stopped believing.

Religion still fascinated me, however, and I looked into various things, from Neopaganism to Buddhism. I felt drawn to the magic and ritual elements of some religions but the philosophy always seemed trite and unrealistic and, moreover, the more I thought about things, the less I could believe in the concept of gods, goddesses, spirits and so on.

From the very little that I could find on Luciferianism, the philosophy seemed the closest to my own (I now see that much of it is just poorly ripped from The Satanic Bible). But even though I'd read that it was possible to see Lucifer as simply an archetype, most of the Luciferian 'Orders' and 'Churches' were nevertheless full of occult nonsense and hierarchies within these groups were based purely on 'occult/magickal knowledge'.

I quickly (very quickly) became disenchanted with Luciferianism and decided that religion was simply not for me. Due to this and the things that I'd learned from studying religion and philosophy in high school, I concluded that I was simply an atheist and that was absolutely fine.

I don't recall the point at which I first heard about Satanism, but it was probably during my early teens. Although I gathered that Satanism is nothing to do with actually worshipping a supernatural entity at all, let alone that which Christianity calls 'the Devil', I still didn't have a very high opinion of it (if one can have a valid opinion based on so little knowledge and experience). It was only a few months ago that I saw a copy of The Satanic Bible and decided to buy it, just for the sake of interest and self-education.

I don't claim to be exceptionally well-read, but this was a reading experience unlike none other that I'd had. It was so clear and logical (which is why I was momentarily baffled when I first came across an example of those people who somehow manage to convince themselves that the book says something other than what it actually says), refreshingly honest and sensible. I was reading thoughts and ideas that I'd been having for as long as I'd started thinking for myself.

If, at any point, I found myself anywhere near the verge of disagreeing or feeling 'alienated', the next paragraph would explain something further and it would all make perfect sense.

There were just a few examples of this, but the one that stood out the most was when I was reading the chapter on sexuality. It was all well and good, but seemed rather irrelevant to me: I'm asexual. Then I turned the page and I found the first written acceptance (that I've come across) of asexuality as a natural state for some individuals and not something that needs to be 'fixed'. It was such a shock (a good shock, of course) to read that in a book that was written decades ago, a book appertaining to a religion that celebrates sexuality (most institutions and sources that celebrate sexuality regard asexuality as an abnormal antithesis to that which they're celebrating).

I found my way to some so-called Satanist groups and forums elsewhere on the Internet, which seemed a-okay on the surface but were filled with pseudo-Satanists who claimed to live by TSB yet somehow found tedious ways of justifying their self-destructive behaviours and belief in supernatural entities, to which fellow idiots would reply with sycophantic praises for their 'independence'. I left those groups almost as soon as I had joined and, while reading material on the Church of Satan website, came across this fine place.

She's not little, no minion like me--
That's why she ensnared him.

- The Laboratory by Robert Browning

#303063 - 02/01/08 08:46 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
Adveser Offline

Loc: California
I came across some kind of stupid christian paranoia about RPG's being devil worshipping while looking for diablo II hacks and mod building. I thought it was hilarious and wanted to look for more. I typed Satan into a google search and saw the Church of Satan as the no. 1 site. I thought "wow, this is gonna be funny: a religion based around religious parody" so I clicked the link, read the site and sent off a PM of stupid questions we see all the time here at LTTD to The wonderful Peggy Nadramia that cleared things up quite a bit. Really loved the rationality and everything about it and have always loved the classic demons and satan imagery (because I am a heavy metal nut) and decided that if the glove fit pretty well, let's wear it! Read the satanic bible about a year later and the other books later. Everyone at this place was more than helpful and insightful when I started posting here in 2003 as "Joker" and I later renamed myself in sith tradition as Adveser. I'm on my 3rd registration since the other lapsed due to non-internet connectivity.

I found out about a year ago that I'm actually a third generation atheist from my dad's side, whom I don't really know, so that further cemented things right into place.

#303142 - 02/01/08 03:57 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Adveser]
Scion Offline

Loc: London, UK
Around xmas 2006 I decided I wanted to read about Satanism - really, it just occurred to me to do so. There are so many depictions of Satanism in various media I wanted to see what I could find. I started on Wikipedia which inevitably gave me the info on Lavey and the COS. The next day I headed to a bookstore, purchased the TSB and kept on going.

I didn't join here until a good 10 months later, but my Satanic perspective has been grown immeasurably by my contact with such a wonderful bunch of reprobates (and Reprobate, of course).

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

www.vampiretemple.com - are you one of us?

#303204 - 02/01/08 08:51 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
Ram_Abbalah Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Reno, NV
I read a lot.

I read The Satanic Bible.

The End.
"...I have built a mechanical sanctuary. In it copper bats fly on electric beams, brass rats scuttle in plastic cellars, robot skeletons dance; robot vampires, harlequins, wolves, and white phantoms, compounded of chemical and ingenuity, live here."

"Usher II"
The Martian Chronicles
by Ray Bradbury

#303226 - 02/01/08 10:20 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Ram_Abbalah]
Risen08 Offline
CoS Member

A co-worker asked me to join the masons. While looking for info in Barnes and Noble, Satan speaks jumped out at me. I bought it and finished it. Read most of the COS site and many posts here. Picked up the Satanic Bible (read almost half today)and The Devil's Notebook.

BTW I don't think the masons would want me..........

#303247 - 02/01/08 11:39 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Risen08]
hellbent666 Offline
Banned

Loc: Colorado
An older friend of mine did a report on Satanism for our Religions class at this hippy k-12 school that I used to go to. I bought a copy of TSB and have been studying ever since! Manson was also a factor in me reading LaVey's literature but not the main one. I just got tired of getting bible enemas by my parents and their friends so I did my homework on all kinds of religions until I found what worked for me. 8 years later and still going!

#303261 - 02/02/08 12:10 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
L0ki Offline

Loc: Scandinavia
The short answer would be:

I was born this way.

1. The short memory of the human race.

2. History repeats itself.

3. The short memory of the human race.

#303267 - 02/02/08 12:35 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: L0ki]
Direktor Offline
CoS Member

I explained how I first discovered The Satanic Bible in my introduction, but as far as the philosophy; I can tell you without an ounce of doubt that it has been with me since the moment I could create memory, the moment my heart started beating - very much like the devastating strikes of lighting that brought life to Frankenstein's creature.

When I think of images from my childhood, I do so with melodies of the Satanic.

"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior."
-Hippolyte Taine

#303275 - 02/02/08 02:21 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: ]
Dean Tempest Offline

Loc: lexington, ky
warhammer 40k, the table top miniatures wargame ironically made me a satanist.

yeah i know, your going what the hell.

well i was reading up on the games background, a chapter called the horus heresy (wiki it sometime, its rather good). and they had some comparisons between the fall of horus to the gods of chaos and turning on the empire to the fall of lucifer in the bible.

so having never actually done much research on the subject, i started reading. satan, lucifer, all these things eventually linked me to the Church of Satan website.

^_^

#303291 - 02/02/08 08:08 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: L0ki]
Risen08 Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: The Black Waltz

I was born this way.

I think I was created into this. It just took 42 years to figure it out.

#303502 - 02/03/08 06:12 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Risen08]
Adveser Offline

Loc: California
Created? by whom? elaborate.

#303620 - 02/03/08 02:15 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Risen08]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: Risen08

The expression "Satanists are born, not made", to me, doesn't necessarily mean that all Satanists have been completely consistent with all the core aspects of Satanic philosophy their entire lives. There are certainly Satanists who've had self-denial phases and what not early in life, as described in the chapter "The God You Save May Be Yourself" like I mentioned. The important thing is that by the time they read The Satanic Bible, Satanism was something that felt like natural fit, not a "conversion". So Satanists are "born, not made" in that sense.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#303628 - 02/03/08 02:40 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Bill_M]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I would like to add, that the phrase is also the reverse of the apologist Tertullian's "Christians are made, not born."

The implication is that Satanists do not fight our nature, as opposed to virtually every religion out there that expects man to force himself into an impossible ideal.

Although I also take the phrase to refer to Satanism as a minority default personality type, and not that every person, even one's who accept their carnal nature, respond well to the Satanic worldview.

Far from it.

#303679 - 02/03/08 06:20 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Risen08]
Risen08 Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: The Black Waltz

I was born this way.

adveser Created? by whom? elaborate.

I think I am genetically predisposed to be a Satanist. I had the "go to church (catholic) and we'll sit home" type of parents (hypocrites). I used the collection money for pinball and had no guilt doing it. One thing I did like about mass was the ceremony, especially latin masses (those I wouldn't miss).
I've spent years studying other religions and found them to be bullshit. Islam, Nation of Islam, Buddism, Taoism, so on.

To finally answer your question.....

I created myself. Satanism fits my ideals and gives me the ceremony and structure I need and enjoy.

I apologize adveser I quoted the wrong post.

Edited by Risen08 (02/03/08 06:27 PM)

#303683 - 02/03/08 06:30 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Risen08]
ameriCAN'T Offline
Banned Stoner

Loc: new hampshire
i was four years old when i first heard marilyn manson . later when i turned 12 i bought my first manson c.d. and when i was 14 i started reasearching satanism and about a year ago i bought the book. although i hadent owned the book untill a year ago i had still called myself a satanist and well im glad i was right prior to haveing learned all the details

#303693 - 02/03/08 06:51 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: ameriCAN'T]
Seeker Of Wisdom Offline

Loc: Buckholts, Tx
I hope that you don't view Mr. Warner as the poster-child of Satanism. If so I fear that you'll get more of a shock in what you find, then your parents got from Manson. Of course, that's assuming that your parents weren't Mansonites. None the less you'd be in for a shock.

"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere."
Groucho Marx

"Sex is legal, Selling is legal, why isn't selling sex legal?"
George Carlin

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"~ The Addams Family Crede

"We all have different desires and needs, but if we don't discover what we want from ourselves and what we stand for, we will live passively and unfulfilled."
Bill Watterson

#303695 - 02/03/08 06:54 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Seeker Of Wisdom]
ameriCAN'T Offline
Banned Stoner

Loc: new hampshire
 Originally Posted By: Seeker Of Wisdom
I hope that you don't view Mr. Warner as the poster-child of Satanism. .

brian was just a gate way, not the whole picture

#303810 - 02/04/08 03:17 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: ameriCAN'T]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Loc: Florida
I was about 8 when they explained original sin in sunday school. To the effect of, your not worthy , your a sinner, your pets don`t go to heaven, you must worship Jesus to be saved. My heart stopped I went numb. In tear screaming my defense I am not a sinner, like the burning of a witch. My kitties' in Heaven ( it was the defense of my recently lost cat that set it off) .

I was innocent and if they cultivated that . Along with god as love and light . I might still be one of them.

Instead, I stated a promise " If I'm going to hell so be it ! I'm not guilty I'll be the most innocent person there . God want my soul to go to heaven never! I don't want to spend eternity with someone who takes kitties from children and lets adults condemn us when we've done nothing . I give my soul to anyone or thing that can prove it's real . "

I made that statement at to young an age to know what I had done . The Luciferian floodgates were open . I would never be lied to again . I questioned everything and demanded more .

I was alone and angry, vengeance filled my soul . I had been faced with the lies of those I trusted (more than I can list) . My mom, dad, and teachers . All adults lie . I couldn't stand it I trusted no one from then on I stood on my own.

I had many encounters with self professed magician, and pagan theologist . No one had any answers it that Pitt, but they all acted like they did .

Someone said to me once be your own God . Inside I accepted this and sought out my perfection of this ideal .

Through study of the occult I found LaVeys works . I had dismissed it rebelling against labels not wanting to be figured out, or shoved in a box .

I spent many yrs enlightening people. Those who crossed my path were met with the razors edge hatred spurned wisdom I had forged for myself out of despise for there unquestioning ignorance . (ahh teen angst )

I sense moved away, left them behind and those wicked ways . I grew up , and developed a sence of respect . 1st for myself and all I've become . Then my parents . They gave me life I owe them for that so I employ discretion as the better part of valour . Finally for those who pioneered a religion on rational thought and self serving principles .

I received The Satanic Scriptures as a gift from my best friend after having reread Laveys works . I took another look a Satanism and stopped denying myself . Casting my lot in with the devil, so to speak, because I will Never Forgive or Forget .

#303818 - 02/04/08 05:00 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: I'mPerfecting]
DexRex Offline

Loc: UK
Well, my Dad died a few years ago and in my grief I did explore various religions for some hope of seeing him again. As a child I was brought up a christian so I started there.

Eventually the awful truth became clear to me: there is nothing else. Not even a hope of something else. In the absence of any evidence I concluded the absence of god.

In fact, I even coined the phrase "Now is the hour of our joy or our suffering" independantly of The Doctor. Who knows, perhaps I had heard his similar, pre-existing phrase before somewhere.

A couple of years later I happened to see and buy the Satanic Bible in a bookshop. It's the only book I have ever read cover to cover, twice, within 3 days of buying it. For me it really is the truth and most other viewpoints are self-delusion, sometimes cleverly disguised, sometimes not.

I know many of the people here do not seek a community or anything but I like knowing that there are other people who feel a similar way to me about Satanism. Just don't go asking me for money... \:\)

#303967 - 02/04/08 03:38 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: DexRex]
Scion Offline

Originally Posted By: DexRex
Just don't go asking me for money... \:\)

Dang!

Quickly hides "please give generously for Satanic widows" collection tin

Edited by Scion (02/04/08 03:39 PM)

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

#304054 - 02/04/08 09:06 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Scion]
Risen08 Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Scion
 Originally Posted By: DexRex
Just don't go asking me for money... \:\)

Dang!

Quickly hides "please give generously for Satanic widows" collection tin

Oh gosh, now that's funny

#304238 - 02/05/08 12:28 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Risen08]
inverted Offline

Loc: Ohio
I first learned about Fake Satanism through a high-quality Catholic education and the song stylings of bands such as Slayer, Deicide, Morbid Angel, etc :P I first found out about true Satanism through my own curiosity, pretty much. I felt like "checking up" on all the stuff I'd been spoonfed since early childhood, and through the miracle of the Interweb and the written word, I soon confirmed that everything I knew about Satanism up to that point was totally backward and fallacious. The more I read, however, the more I came to realize that I'd technically been following the left-hand path for years, but just didn't know what to call it.

#304356 - 02/05/08 09:59 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: inverted]
Risen08 Offline
CoS Member

What's wrong with Slayer?

Always thought they were better than Stryper...... \:>

#304360 - 02/05/08 10:14 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
TheAbysmal Offline

Google. \:D

Refuse to die.

#304431 - 02/06/08 06:28 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: TheAbysmal]
Charlie D Offline

I mainly just came across it from the website. Having left my christian church, i moved to a state of total dis belief in anything at all super natural. Now i have my various reasons for looking up satanism, mainly for the curiosity factor, having been and atheist for 6 months roughly. I read this on the website. http://web.satanism101.com/index.html . and proceeded from there to read on.

I picked up my satanic bible this morning. Like many other people it was like reading my own mind on paper. I have to say also that LaVey's dissection and perception of christian thinking even now in 2008 is logical and correct. I would have loved to have met the man and listened to him speak. I think i came across satanism because i have always been a satanist at heart (i was born this way).

Most of my old acquaintances from the church just think i'm an atheist. I don't think I'll ever tell them what i really believe. The thing that really attracts me to Satanism is just the deception of it. Satanism, as far as i know, doesn't have prophets or martyrs and i love that. I don't need to be boastful about Satan because i'm insecure and need to shock Fundamentalist and/or Conservative christians. I'm comfortable with the fact that it's perhaps the most important and self fulfilling thing i have ever done in my life and they will never know.

#304454 - 02/06/08 08:27 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Risen08]
inverted Offline

Loc: Ohio

Oh, Slayer is great! I was just saying that I'd definitely quote The Satanic Bible over Reign in Blood if I were writing a paper on Satanism ;\)

#304481 - 02/06/08 10:28 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
MagisterParadise Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Burlington, VT
 Originally Posted By: Woglug
I have been reading though a number of posts on the forum and I am interest in how people where introduced to Satanism.

Read the book and find out.

****** READ DIABOLOGUE OFTEN ******

Purging Talon | On Facebook | On SatanNet
Bearing The Devil's Mark @ Amazon | The Book of Satanic Quotations @ Amazon | Terror Transmission

--------------------
"The world isn't black and white. It's grayscale" - Steve Wozniak

#304494 - 02/06/08 11:37 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
DataLore Offline

Loc: Holodeck 3
 Quote:
How did you came across satanism?

A Lust magazine and about 30 minutes worth of pumping...

Oh! You meant how did I run into Satanism?

Let's just say it came to me.

#304581 - 02/06/08 06:49 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: MagisterParadise]
Woglug Offline

MagisterParadise thankyou for the link, I will get hold of a copy and have a read.

#304611 - 02/06/08 09:15 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: inverted]
Risen08 Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: inverted

Oh, Slayer is great! I was just saying that I'd definitely quote The Satanic Bible over Reign in Blood if I were writing a paper on Satanism ;\)

I listened to that whole album today at the gym, and I totally agree about who to quote. I'm on my second reading, one chapter a night (like good little christians are taught to do).

#304623 - 02/06/08 09:30 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: ]
Faded Offline

Initially I picked un Dr. LaVeys book when I was in highschool and neglected to read it until just a few years ago. Like any teenager I wanted to be a rebal, but when i actually read the book I liked what i heard and essentially I incorporated these values into my life. I have mixed beliefs, I always will, but satanism to was just so damn honest. I liked it.

#304895 - 02/08/08 06:20 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
Drakein Offline

First, some guy in the school I used to go was going around giving tied packs of papers of The Book of Satan copypasted. Soon the floors had torn sheets scattered on and people would stomp on them in disgust. I picked a not very damaged pack when no one was looking, took it home and soon after graduation decided to read it. Then checked Britannica in the local library. Then the internet. Then got confused.
I got better.

#304958 - 02/08/08 01:10 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Drakein]
ryan MAIDEN Offline

Loc: SC USA
i was always interested in satan and a friend was like go read the satanic bible... so i did and everything just seemed to fit together

#305369 - 02/10/08 05:02 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: ]
homeboy Offline

Loc: san jose, california
i first recognized satanism thru my cousin and uncle. i dont know if they were CoS satanists, i doubt it, but growing up in my pre-teens following my older cousin around, my view on life and the world started to get molded, i didnt know about satanism until i was in the 7th grade, when my cousin told me about it. i had heard the word satan bfore, being raised christian, but my mind had already been conditioned to question authority and mainstream society. being the gangsters he and my uncle were, he still opened my mind to different music, and art while still runinng the street gangs. so in high school both my cousin and uncle caught life sentences for different things at different times.so having no one to turn to about it i have still always leaned towards satanism, not knowing anything about it, until recently i finally picked up the satanic bible,and solidified my way of thinking. i still dont know a lot about it, but thats why i joined this site, in hopes to educate myself on it. in my hood, satanism is still very looked down upon. therfore i dont know any other satanists that i can relate to, because i think mosts satanist dont come from my side of the tracks. but hopefully im wrong.

#305606 - 02/11/08 06:54 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: homeboy]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

This belongs in the intro section.

Please post a proper introduction.

If I may add--
 Quote:
. so in high school both my cousin and uncle caught life sentences for different things at different times.so having no one to turn to about it i have still always leaned towards satanism, not knowing anything about it,

It is just as well you learned nothing from them about Satanism. The very fact that they received life sentences greatly indicates that they either didn't understand our religion, or opted not to follow it.

Quote:
finally picked up the satanic bible,and solidified my way of thinking. i still dont know a lot about it, but thats why i joined this site, in hopes to educate myself on it

Here you may learn about individual Satanists and their Satanic interests. The Satanic Bible stands alone as a way to know if this religion is right for you.

Y~

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#305622 - 02/11/08 08:21 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Ygraine]
Never Offline

Loc: Skien, Norway
I was alone a saturday night, and I got to wonder about the history
of the fallen angel Lucifer, so I went on to wikipedia.org and red up, and after a couple of hours I was on http://www.churchofsatan.com, later I went and bought the Bible, and found this link on the site.

#305978 - 02/12/08 10:14 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
fraggadaboom Offline

Loc: Florida, US
Satanism was, at first, a natural reaction for me.

I was raised to be Irish Roman Catholic, so much so that my mother was one of my catechism teachers. When I was twelve and studying for my Confirmation in the church, I received a letter from the archdioces stating that I was no longer welcome in Gods' house. I was excommunicated. Even if I said that I was sorry, or that I was wrong, I wouldn't be allowed to return.

I was so hateful after that, but it was a useless hatred. My anger and confusion and loss became all that I was, everything that I used to define myself. I thought that there must have been a mistake somewhere; not even Hitler was excommunicated. I tried to become all of those things that would make me the devil, I was already damned if I didn't.

The Satanic Bible, which I found at my public library in the reference section, showed me that this was okay. That I could use these feelings to be stronger and greater than I was. And so I do.

Thank you for your time,
Fragga

#305987 - 02/12/08 11:00 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: fraggadaboom]
L.ESCH. Offline

Loc: Scotland
In much the same way as everyone else, I was always interested in philosophy, religions, occult and anything that seemed far more fascinating and interesting than the stupid trends that most people I knew growing up were into. "Forced" religion played a part too - I was raised Catholic, but I knew from a very early age (about 9 or 10) that I didn't believe in all the nonsense being spouted by my teachers or by priests at Mass. Scotland is a country dominated by religion (Catholic or Protestant), which also ruins our beautiful game of football (long story - essentially 25th generation Irish immigrants still arguing over things which have long passed into history) and basically it made me sick. I wanted nothing to do with it.

So through reading Crowley, Austin Osman Spare, Peter J Carroll, George Gurdjieff, P.D Ouspensky amongst others, I eventually got "The Satanic Bible" when I was about 14. And that was the revelation I needed. I must admit I still find a lot of merit in the works of the authors mentioned, and still read as much as I can, but LaVey hit the nail on the head for me personally.

Also - maybe as expected - yes, I was and still am a Death-Metal fan and musician.... but the philosophy stands apart from the music as far as I'm concerned. It's far far beyond that. It colours every aspect of life as far as I'm concerned.

Besides, these days I find more of personal satanic merit in the music of King Crimson than most metal!

#305988 - 02/12/08 11:02 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: L.ESCH.]
Never Offline

Celtic - Rangers, eh?

#305989 - 02/12/08 11:07 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Never]
L.ESCH. Offline

Exactly. If you ever go to an Old Firm match, even if the game is brilliant, you always come away feeling somewhat murderous and strongly contemplating purchase of an AK47.

Thank f*ck for TV (sometimes...).

#306010 - 02/12/08 01:07 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: L.ESCH.]
Never Offline

Not all death metal stand out from satanic lifestyle as much - I find Metallica-lyrics some of the same. I know it`s not death metal, but it`s better :p

#306016 - 02/12/08 01:50 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: fraggadaboom]
Magister_Harris Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Long Island
We are all eager to hear about your excommunication from the Catholic Church.

However, before you tell us, you must post the required introduction in our introduction forum. Please do so before replying to or participating in any further discussions. Thank you.
Host - Hate Speech Radio
http://www.hatespeechradio.com

#306028 - 02/12/08 02:30 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Magister_Harris]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Ditto for F.C.

Intro please.

Y~

#306032 - 02/12/08 02:40 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Ygraine]
Scion Offline

Originally Posted By: Ygraine
Ditto for F.C.

Intro please.

Y~

Speaking of which, where has the intro forum gone? It seems to have vanished!

#306033 - 02/12/08 02:43 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Scion]
Never Offline

Oh, realy?

Good, I thought I had been expelled from there.

#306034 - 02/12/08 02:43 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Scion]
spook show Offline
CoS Member

Loc: under your bed
I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who noticed this.

~Anton Szandor LaVey

#306039 - 02/12/08 02:49 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: spook show]
Scion Offline

Maybe we've ALL been expelled from there - or something so hideous has arrived in the intro section that it's been quarantined off in a futile effort to contain it! Run everyone, run for you lives before the evil escapes and consumes us all!!!

Flees screaming from the forum to hide under his duvet

#306045 - 02/12/08 03:06 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Scion]
L.ESCH. Offline

I already introduced myself... where has the intro forum gone?

#306060 - 02/12/08 03:48 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: L.ESCH.]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: F.C
where has the intro forum gone?

Good question...it's gone! That's weird.

#306071 - 02/12/08 04:02 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Scion]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

Speaking of which, where has the intro forum gone? It seems to have vanished!

Here. In this thread.

#306273 - 02/13/08 02:07 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Callier]
fraggadaboom Offline

Loc: Florida, US
I gladly reintroduce myself, although like F.C, I already have. I had mentioned bibliophilia with a touch of mania. Also, in certain social situations I use the term witch. I've had adventurers in theosophy, magic and misanthropy.
My excommunication was sudden. I was at Mass with my family, it was a Wednesday evening. I was approached by the Father, who told me that I was no longer welcome there but that I could be assured that my families' souls were safe. I ran, crying. What else would I do, I was twelve.
It's not exactly the sort of thing that one can fight. Holy Mother Church does not make mistakes.

I don't know why. I still don't know why. The answer that I received was meaningless. It must have happened for a reason. We, as humans, aren't worthy of knowing His divine plan. But you can have faith that he DOES have a plan! “I'm sorry that I can't offer more guidance at this time, my child.”
I'm afraid that I can't say anymore at the moment. I sometimes have trouble talking with others.
Thank you,
Fragga

#306277 - 02/13/08 02:38 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: fraggadaboom]
Damaeon96 Offline
Banned

Loc: Kentucky
I'll spare the back story and sum it up as confusion.

As far as discovering satanism it went like this. I had always had an interest in the occult and other reiligions. I read anything I could get on the subject. I was hesitant to pursue any studies in satanism due to rumors and other garbage I had been fed when I asked questions. For years I would always pick up The Satanic Bible and put it down without opening it. The Church of Satan website was something I would open up for a moment and then escape out of. Finally I decided enough was enough and started exploring the website.

After reading the essays and information there I was eager to find out more. That led me to this message board. I wanted to get a feel for the mindset. After a few posts (some of which I would sooner delete) I read The Satanic Bible. Afterwards I can honestly say I have never felt more comfortable in my own skin. In retrospect, I suppose you can stare into a mirror for only so long before you realize what's looking back.

"Here's to hell. May the stay there be as fun as the way there!" - Groucho Marx

#306278 - 02/13/08 02:39 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: fraggadaboom]
L.ESCH. Offline

The old Catholic Way...

Guilt with a wee pinch of guilt thrown in too... and purple gowns. And then some guilt.

I honestly don't know how it has lasted so long.

As for a re-introduction, I'll post one if required... but let me know. My previous post explains how I came across Satanism.

#306299 - 02/13/08 06:05 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: L.ESCH.]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Quote:
As for a re-introduction, I'll post one if required... but let me know.

My bad! I missed a memo.

At this time an intro is not required.

Play on.

Y~

#306305 - 02/13/08 06:42 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Scion]
L0ki Offline

Loc: Scandinavia
Maybe we've ALL been expelled from there - or something so hideous has arrived in the intro section that it's been quarantined off in a futile effort to contain it! Run everyone, run for you lives before the evil escapes and consumes us all!!!

Flees screaming from the forum to hide under his duvet

It's the Devil's magic...

1. The short memory of the human race.

2. History repeats itself.

3. The short memory of the human race.

#306365 - 02/13/08 10:44 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: L0ki]
foreverlearning Offline

Well, I suppose this is as good a place for my first post as any.
I have been atheist for a long time now. As a kid I was forced by my parents to go to church. Being only a kid, I simply accepted anything an adult told me to be fact, and so I accepted God as a fact. When I grew older I began to think for myself and chose to be atheist.
My favorite song is Hotel California by the Eagles. I was shocked when I heard from a friend that the song was about LaVey, the Church of Satan, and all those no good devil worshipers that belong to the church.
Online I found many things in the song supporting what my friend had said, including rumors of LaVey being in a picture inside the CD. I researched LaVey and found links to the Church of Satan website. Was surprised to find that everything I 'knew' about the Church of Satan was incorrect, and even more suprised to see how many of my beliefs were the same. So now here I am to learn more about it.
I hope to get my hands on The Satanic Bible soon and maybe some other recommended readings.

Edited by foreverlearning (02/13/08 10:46 AM)

#306489 - 02/13/08 05:41 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: foreverlearning]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Rumors are rumors, and they fall by the wayside if you do a little research.*

Quote:
I hope to get my hands on The Satanic Bible soon

It helps.

*Roughly 10 seconds to find both articles.

- Sam Harris

#306529 - 02/13/08 08:24 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
Autophilius Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany

Extract from my answers to Question 2 in the Active Membership Application Part II on
http://www.churchofsatan.com/Pages/Application.html

When I was a child in the 1980s, I read the book U. Bäumer: "Wir wollen nur deine Seele. Rockszene und Okkultismus: Daten - Fakten - Hintergründe". Bielefeld: Christliche Literaturverbreitung; Wuppertal: Ev. Gesellschaft für Deutschland, a christian fundamentalist book about Heavy Metal and the Satanism of Crowley and LaVey. As a christian it influenced me much: I avoided Heavy Metal and most popular music, but there were fantasies of being used as an altar at a black mass. When I split up with christianity because of its negative attitude towards sex and BDSM and the christians' contradition between praising charity and acting otherwise, my thinking about Satanism was transformed. I tried most of the music mentioned there and read the writings of Crowley and LaVey. When I found the internet in 1996, I found the homepage of the Church of Satan. That was very cool, because the organization became more real to me, from something far away mentioned in a book to something part of my world.

Yeah, Crowley is weird and not the founder of Satanism. But that Christian book isn't so bad, compared to usual propaganda of German christians on Satanism, who ususally simply tell that Crowley is the founder of modern Satanism and don't even mention LaVey. LOL. Maybe there are too many groups like O.T.O. in Europe.

Best wishes

Autophilius

#306543 - 02/13/08 09:16 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Woglug]
Colonel Kurtz Offline
CoS Member

The Geraldo Rivera Show and Satanic Panic Propaganda!

I went to church in my teens of my own free will. All i learned is that god makes people feel guilty.

#306570 - 02/13/08 10:23 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Poetaster]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: Poetaster
Rumors are rumors, and they fall by the wayside if you do a little research.*

Never the less, the urban legend lead somebody to reading up on the Church of Satan. Ditto I'm sure for the old Proctor & Gamble story. Misinformation aside, I think there's something to to be said about that.

#306573 - 02/13/08 10:45 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Bill_M]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

That's a good point, one that I didn't think about.

Touchè. ;\)

- Sam Harris

#306629 - 02/14/08 08:04 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Bill_M]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Bill_M
Misinformation aside, I think there's something to to be said about that.

Yep. I doubt anyone has become a Satanist because someone came up to him or her, handed him or her some accurate information and said, “Let me tell you about Satanism”. There is a bit of resourcefulness and curiosity about us.

#306676 - 02/14/08 12:22 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Never Offline

I go from door to door.. don`t you guys?

#306681 - 02/14/08 12:38 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Never]
Risen08 Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Never

*Knock,Knock*

"who's there"

" god "

"god who"

exactly

#306744 - 02/14/08 04:13 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Never]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

I don't understand why people get all mad when I, a complete stranger, ring their doorbell at 9:00 AM on a Saturday, and tell them about a religion that says sloth can be a welcomed indulgence and "respect another's lair or don't go there".

But imagine trying to "witness" to the people who couldn't even make it into Jehovah's Witnesses? Boy am I glad we don't work like that.

#306754 - 02/14/08 04:53 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Bill_M]
Never Offline

I don't understand why people get all mad when I, a complete stranger, ring their doorbell at 9:00 AM on a Saturday, and tell them about a religion that says sloth can be a welcomed indulgence and "respect another's lair or don't go there".

Hah!
Some people, eh..

#306887 - 02/15/08 02:00 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Never]
I'mPerfecting Offline

I always thought it would fun to try it at christmas dressed as jesus collecting presents those without . Just to see how far playing on such guilt for charity could go . I laugh about it every year . One of these years though to many people might just ask one to many times for money, and I just might do it .

#410591 - 01/29/10 11:54 AM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: I'mPerfecting]
XUL Offline

Loc: Oslo, Norway
I have never been interested in religion. You might say that I am a die hard atheist. It is impossible for me to not see the damage that organised delusion has caused over the years whenever some schmuck is speaking to me about all the good that has been done by this or that cult of religious fucknuts. I was aware of Satanism (meaning the existence of the CoS, the ToS, etc.) since a young age, but dismissed it as an even weirder sort of "rebound" thing that was suitable for drug-fuelled and sensationalism fuelled California hippies only. However, a large part of me is highly theatrical and psychodramatic. I dabbled in ritual magic. This and that. I found my thing in various manifestations of "art"... and it wasn't until I actually bothered to research the issue that I found the CoS to be founded in cynical intelligence rather than in the devotion of "beliefs". So I joined. And that's the story.

#410599 - 01/29/10 12:17 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: XUL]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
This thread is close to two years old. Please be mindful of the age of the thread you are contributing to before resurrecting it.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#410612 - 01/29/10 01:33 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Bruja]
XUL Offline

My bad. I didn't even look at the dates...
But how come it was on top of the recent topics list when I looked at it? And isn't it still a reasonable question? (Albeit a very predictable and, I can imagine, an endlessly boring one to the forum regulars.)

#410613 - 01/29/10 01:41 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: XUL]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Loc: Albany, New York
Originally Posted By: XUL
I was aware of Satanism (meaning the existence of the CoS, the ToS, etc.)

Did you just put the Church of Satan alongside the Temple of Set? Oh boy.

The ToS doesn't describe itself as "Satanism", they use the term "Setianism", which basically translates to "Pretentious devil worshiping".

#410615 - 01/29/10 01:51 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: XUL]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

You seem to have unusual difficulty grasping the basic functioning of this board overall, from posting a non-question in the Questions Section (which only a tiny fraction of people ever do), to dredging up two year old dead threads (which, again, only a tiny fraction of people ever do), to initiating a new thread on a subject where there is already an incredibly active, current, and robust thread on that very subject (which, yet again, only a tiny fraction of people ever do).

Managing to combine these three different posting errors in so short a time is really a bit strange.

Just an observation. Maybe you are simply new at posting on message boards on the internet? If so, this is understandable.

Perhaps you should sit back and observe how things here work for a while. Simply a friendly suggestion, meant for your benefit, really.

#410616 - 01/29/10 01:54 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Quaark]
XUL Offline

Originally Posted By: Daark

Perhaps you should sit back and observe how things here work for a while.

I think you have a point.

#410634 - 01/29/10 05:59 PM Re: How did you came across satanism? [Re: Bill_M]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Boy am I glad we don't work like that.

I'm not NEAR old enough.
And I can't pull down my pants to show my nipples.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12015 Members
73 Forums
43825 Topics
405206 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements