Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#302548 - 01/30/08 06:14 PM Satanic Panic, and it continues...(college textbook).
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

I am taking a course in Family Violence and abuse, and in the main textbook- Family Violence, Legal, Medical, and Social Perspectives.
http://www.amazon.com/Family-Violence-Me...01738073&sr=1-1
Chapter 6 talks about ritualistic abuse, and I just couldn't believe that this sort of thing was printed in a college textbook, especially in the late 2000's! I sent this letter to the e-mail included in t he foreward.
I did not speak as a Church of Satan member, only as a college student who wants to try to keep my education from being wasted.
I am a student in college working towards my Bachelor degree in science. Currently I am taking a course in Family Violence & Abuse, and am using the 5th edition of the book Family Violence by Harvey Wallace. Thumbing through the contents where the chapters are listed I was amazed to find a chapter on Ritualistic Child Abuse (Chapter 6).
I believe that printing this sort of thing fosters ignorance. Ritualistic abuse on a large scale has never been proven, it was proven however, that many children who were questioned were led to make false confessions. The Satanic Panic of the 80’s has been studied and discounted many times since the early 90’s.
While it is true that there are remarks made that say that this sort of thing was never quite proven to be true there are many other statements that would lead someone to believe otherwise. Lines between different belief systems were blurred, and equating fictitious initiations and Marine boot camp is highly irresponsible, as is comparing Satanic activity and ritualistic abuse with the Holocaust, we actually have evidence that the Holocaust happened.
In support of Ritualistic abuse, the evidence offered is that many people came forth and spoke of it. Many people have also admitted to being abducted by aliens, seeing Bigfoot, and the Loch Ness monster.
I am completely aware that there may have been some isolated instances where ritualistic abuse might have occurred, but as was said about drugs and alcohol causing child abuse is most likely a result of someone blaming the use of drugs as an excuse.
In the recent years there has been news coverage of priests in the Catholic Church who had abused some young boys. Here is a website that lists links to news articles regarding abuse committed in other religions such as, Catholicism, Scientology, Jehovah’s Witness, Hare Krishna and the Mormon faith.
Factnet-
http://www.factnet.org/CIF/child_abuse.htm?FACTNet#Catholic
The point I am making is this, these were not denigrated into being called “cult crimes”, since Satanism is a minority religion, more so than that of any one of the above listed religions, then chapter 6 in the textbook is overly critical as well as prejudicial in nature.
CSER Reports on Satanism by Shawn Carlson, PHD
http://www.arcane-archive.org/religion/satanism/cser-reports-on-satanism-1.php
1992 FBI Report --Satanic Ritual Abuse by Kenneth V. Lanning
http://www.skeptictank.org/fbi1992.htm
Giving the devil more than his due by David Alexander
http://www.smwane.dk/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=13
The Satanic Panic by Jeffrey Victor
http://www.amazon.com/Satanic-Panic-Creation-Contemporary-Legend/dp/081269192X
Chapter 6 of the textbook lacks substantiation, scholastic credibility and scientific analysis. I highly suggest that it be revised or removed altogether.
Sincerely,
XXXXXXXX

Edited by DickSteele (01/30/08 10:47 PM)

#302558 - 01/30/08 06:37 PM Re: Satanic Panic, and it continues...(college textbook). [Re: DickSteele]
WolfMoon Offline

I am happy to see that you took action in advising people that the information presented was incomplete and not factual. Good job! I am also very surpised that this showed up in a college textbook.

HS!

#302571 - 01/30/08 07:26 PM Re: Satanic Panic, and it continues...(college textbook). [Re: WolfMoon]
Shegeek Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Well done!

I somewhat remember the "Satanic Panic". I mostly remember seeing a few documentaries..(Rory Kennedy maybe?) one in particular almost completely debunking ritualistic abuse even occurring by picking apart the weirdly suggestive "hypnotic regression" sessions of certain preachers. Can't remember their names...what I do remember is this guy claiming he had an entire church full of victims of ritualistic abuse.

Story after story of sad, distressed family members followed, no longer able to talk to their children due to some yahoo convincing then that they were forced to eat beating goat hearts and stab babies or something.

I'm very glad you wrote that. Anything that slowly eats away the silliness \:\)

Kurt Vonnegut

#302600 - 01/30/08 09:08 PM Re: Satanic Panic, and it continues...(college textbook). [Re: Shegeek]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

If I ever figure out how to convert scanned documents into editable text, I will post it here. Anybody know how to do that without special equipment?

#302608 - 01/30/08 09:30 PM Re: Satanic Panic, and it continues...(college textbook). [Re: DickSteele]
Mjollnir Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Gone
 Quote:
If I ever figure out how to convert scanned documents into editable text, I will post it here. Anybody know how to do that without special equipment?

You'd probably have to post it as an image, but you'd be most likely infringing on the copyrights of the book. I would not advise reproducing anything from a published book without written consent, even as a posting on a message board such as this.

Ritual abuse.. as if life wasn't twisted enough already ;\)

#302609 - 01/30/08 09:32 PM Re: Satanic Panic, and it continues...(college textbook). [Re: Mjollnir]
Shegeek Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I wonder if dumping water and oil on a cold, crying little baby counts?

\:D

Kurt Vonnegut

#302643 - 01/30/08 10:07 PM Re: Satanic Panic, and it continues...(college textbook). [Re: Mjollnir]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

Gotcha-good point.
Is it different with college textbooks though?

#302644 - 01/30/08 10:08 PM Re: Satanic Panic, and it continues...(college textbook). [Re: Shegeek]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Shegeek
I wonder if dumping water and oil on a cold, crying little baby counts?

\:D

I believe this feeds the "silliness".

#302649 - 01/30/08 10:24 PM Re: Satanic Panic, and it continues...(college textbook). [Re: DickSteele]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
 Originally Posted By: DickSteele

You can use an OCR program which converts scanned images into editable text.

#302652 - 01/30/08 10:30 PM Re: Satanic Panic, and it continues...(college textbook). [Re: DickSteele]
Mjollnir Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Gone
It should state it somewhere in the first couple of pages (where the copyright information is located). I have some textbooks here that state any reproduction is prohibited. I just grabbed one at random and it's published by Prentice Hall and clearly states that any reproduction of any kind is not allowed without written permission.

It's funny they haven't changed the parts on "ritual abuse" to cover the Catholic Priest's behavior with young boys.

Edit.. Wait, you already mentioned that in your post. Never mind ;\)

Edited by Mjollnir (01/30/08 10:34 PM)

#302659 - 01/30/08 11:02 PM Re: Satanic Panic, and it continues...(college textbook). [Re: Mjollnir]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

I found it-can't post it, when I have time I will discuss some details.

#302660 - 01/30/08 11:03 PM Re: Satanic Panic, and it continues...(college textbook). [Re: Old_Pig]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

Thank you! I won't be able to post it here, but I can definitely use this program as well as my stepfather who is blind! Thanks for sharing that!

#302720 - 01/31/08 08:07 AM Re: Satanic Panic, and it continues...(college textbook). [Re: DickSteele]
Mr Avarice Offline

Loc: Scandinavia
How do they get away with printing lies like that?! In student material no less...

Nicely done though, DickSteele! I hope that you will hear from them soon, and that their response won't be in the form of profanities. ;\)

Hail Satan!

#302725 - 01/31/08 08:27 AM Re: Satanic Panic, and it continues...(college textbook). [Re: Mr Avarice]
Pact_Primeval Offline

Loc: Derby, England
 Originally Posted By: The Black Waltz
How do they get away with printing lies like that?! In student material no less...

and ask for $46.20

#302727 - 01/31/08 08:41 AM Re: Satanic Panic, and it continues...(college textbook). [Re: Mr Avarice]
spook show Offline
CoS Member

Loc: under your bed
 Quote:
How do they get away with printing lies like that?!

They just fall back on the old line, "Well, you can't prove that it didn't happen."

~Anton Szandor LaVey

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43982 Topics
406058 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements