Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#303099 - 02/01/08 11:56 AM "Satanis" DVD
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
I recently purchased the DVD "Satanis:The Devil's Mass" from a seller on eBay. (It also contains the movie "Sinthia: the Devil's Doll"). Filmed inside the Black House in 1969, it includes footage of several Rituals, clips of interviews with the Great Man, as well as other members of the CoS and even some interview footage with various neighbors.
I found it very informative for those of us who never met Doktor La Vey. I would (and do) highly recommend this DVD.
Well worth 10 times the $11.40 I paid for it.

Attachments
SatanisDVD.bmp (322 downloads)

#304821 - 02/07/08 09:13 PM Re: "Satanis" DVD [Re: DCLXVI]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Anyone somewhat confused about rituals etc, or really, ANYONE who has read The Satanic Bible should watch this film. It is simply empowering, and wonderful. The music is excellent as well.

#305360 - 02/10/08 12:56 AM Re: "Satanis" DVD [Re: DCLXVI]
Rellik Offline

I agree I found a Copy at Borders and found it well worth the price the movie Sinthia was also interesting would have made a good Psychology Report if I had seen it in College

#310087 - 02/27/08 01:36 PM Re: "Satanis" DVD [Re: Rellik]
SHIGALYOV Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Antarctica
Absolutely a great movie, and very interesting to see a few different sides of Anton Lavey as well.

HS!

E.

#311028 - 03/01/08 02:52 PM Re: "Satanis" DVD [Re: SHIGALYOV]
garfield Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Carcosa
My damned DVD Player has regional code, so I can`t see it. I hope the authorized Church of Satan DVD release is going to be code-free.

#311312 - 03/02/08 01:57 PM Re: "Satanis" DVD [Re: DCLXVI]
Happy Birthday JSBlack Offline
<B>CoS Member</B>

Loc: South Wales
Yeah, I watch this film a lot, I love footage from inside of the Black House from way back then.

If you haven't already done so, obtain a copy of "Speak of the Devil,' also. It will please you a lot I think!

#311527 - 03/03/08 11:50 AM Re: "Satanis" DVD [Re: garfield]
Darkahn Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
 Originally Posted By: garfield
My damned DVD Player has regional code, so I can`t see it. I hope the authorized Church of Satan DVD release is going to be code-free.

There are ways of getting passed that. ;\)

Nonetheless, as for the documentary itself; I had seen it about a year ago on what I later found out to be a bootleg VHS, and the transfer was much poorer than the one that's been used on many of these DVDs. After seeing Speak of the Devil!, I became interested in some of the older footage showcased. I wouldn't particuarly recommend it to anyone without a good comprehension of Satanism -- I think some what was said (not by LaVey) could cause misunderstandings.

But still, an excellent look into the history of Satanism and the Church of Satan.

Undercroft

#312663 - 03/07/08 07:58 AM Re: "Satanis" DVD [Re: DCLXVI]
RavenEye666 Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, United Kingdom
I felt Speak of the Devil as well as Satanis were informative in different ways. Speak of the Devil gave a more personal look at Dr. LaVey's life, where as Satanis is a better reference for rituals, though I personally could have done without the comments from the neighboors and so forth, though I do understand why they needed to be put in. I found myself laughing at some of the individuals, and cringing at others. In either case, both videos have their interesting portions indeed.

P.S.--the grocery store scene in Speak of the Devil was amusing. Togar is SO CUTE! \:\)

#313046 - 03/08/08 05:54 PM Re: "Satanis" DVD [Re: RavenEye666]
Risen08 Offline
CoS Member

I just finished watching SATANIS. I understand the time period and the types that were attracted to the church at the time. I think the portrayal of LaVey's family was done well. They looked 'normal'. Some of the other people seemed a bit 'off'. I loved the misconceptions (and mispronuciations)of the black female neighbor. The movie wasn't a total hachet job, but it still is a little explotational.

Edited by Risen08 (03/08/08 09:22 PM)
Edit Reason: Basic grammer

#318683 - 04/02/08 10:28 PM Re: "Satanis" DVD [Re: DCLXVI]
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
After i had bought my copy of "Satanis", I was surfing through the CoS site, and saw that it is offered there also. If I had taken the time to browse through first, I would ahve got my copy from CoS instead of the non-Satanist source on eBay. tiki

#322245 - 04/19/08 01:39 AM Re: "Satanis" DVD [Re: DCLXVI]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Gotta love that movie. And those wacky neighbors! They thought the Doktor was weird!

"I don't even know the name of those clothes!" grin

And the lady in pink (with matching daughter zombie) who doesn't mind having Satanists next door but an S&M lady with a whip is "disturbing"! crossbones

#341043 - 07/18/08 11:21 PM Re: "Satanis" DVD [Re: HellofallHells]
precision Offline

A great double feature. The overall "old" feel of the video helped feed my fascination with old-timey stuff.

#344393 - 08/07/08 01:49 AM Re: "Satanis" DVD [Re: precision]
Rellik Offline

I do have to agree, This movie did open my mind as to the meanings of the CoS as well give me a more ranged opinion of the Shape of things I will also have to look into this other movie that has been mentioned "Speak of the Devil" that soundslike it would also be interesting (thank you all for the suggestion)

#344688 - 08/08/08 12:29 PM Re: "Satanis" DVD [Re: Darkahn]
Seth Lucius Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
What are the ways of passing the regional code?? I have that problem with a few dvd's

Hail!!!!
"Christianity was from the beginning, essentially and fundamentally, life's nausea and disgust with life, merely concealed behind, masked by, dressed up as, faith in "another" or "better" life." - Nietzsche's The Birth of Tragedy, p.23, Walter Kaufmann transl.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." - Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)

"The more the fruits of knowledge become accessible to men, the more widespread is the decline of religious belief." - Sigmund Freud (1856 - 1939), The Future of an Illusion (1927)

#346999 - 08/18/08 10:10 PM Re: "Satanis" DVD [Re: DCLXVI]
Perseus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
Yes I loved that film and alongside with "Speak of the devil", they make a good DVD package for anyone wanting to learn more about the history of the left hand path and the Church of Satan.

However I wouldn’t have bought it off ebay as I believe both “The Church of Satan Emporium” and “Purging Talon Media” have copies for sale, I prefer to buy my media from the source itself and not from outside sellers.

Also I highly recommend "Church of Satan Interview Achieve", which is a great DVD in itself but also great for learning and viewing the many media representations of the Church of Satan (and seeing the growth of Magus Gilmores beard).

#358156 - 11/02/08 10:27 PM Re: "Satanis" DVD [Re: RavenEye666]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Yes I found the part where the mormons talking about "We want our sisters or daughters to have sex before marriage. We would hope they would wait." statement, knowing that the so-called "respect" and "holy-right-to-sex" she would be GRANTED would also be granted to his 5 or 6 other wives and/or their daughters who would one day become his wife...

This movie was great. I think it shows the charm and intelligence of Dr. LaVey very well. I enjoyed the bit about the lion especially!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Quaark 

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44031 Topics
406349 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements