Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#303473 - 02/03/08 02:00 AM Various Topics
Dean Tempest Offline

Loc: lexington, ky
So this post is a few things I have been up to.

1st, I am proud to say that I have started construction of my altar in my bedroom. Its rather hard to find the proper things I feel will fit it, so I have been looking over the past few weeks when I am out and about. It was such a pain to find the proper candles I wanted. Most likely I will have to order alot of stuff for it online.

Also, while I was out and got the candles, I picked up a copy of Satan Speaks. They also had a copy of the necronomicon I may have to pick up next time I am downtown. One book at a time for me. =P

Ok so moving onto something a bit more discussion oriented. As of late I have been attempting to get back into writing, as I have been in a creative dead zone for the better part of a year.

This creative slump was mainly due to emotional damage and stress from my past relationship. To sum it up, I was with my ex for about a year and a half, while she carried on a internet relationship with her ex fiance behind my back.

Then something struck me the other night. I was at work and trying to kill the writers block by throwing out some short storys, and remembered she had created a long story that was her pride and joy. She never wrote it down, and it was more or less some sort of really messed up role playing story she did with friends. Personally I didnt care for it much, but I remembered she based all her characters off friends and family, and killed off her ex fiances character when he dumped her.

Now she had plans when we where together to place a character we had made together to represent myself in the storyline, mainly for fun. Well she never did insert this character into the storyline, and to be honest when I broke up with her she ended up geting back with her ex fiance that weekend (he lives in california and is loaded).

Remembering all this I was suddenly quite inspired by an idea. I am currently writing a short story set in her setting, which she has never truly written out due to laziness. I am including my character which she decided to scrap when we broke up, and he shall be doing the things that for obvious reasons I could not.

I like to think of it as artistic revenge, and accomplishing two things. One being the pure pleasure and joy of taking revenge on her and the sorry piece of dung that is her newly re-engaged fiance, and two, to get me out of this writers block with a hell of alot of passion and strength.

Guess this post was more of a rant then anything, but I hope to finish it within the next few weeks, as I am going on a trip this week and wont have time.

Edited by Sightless Blind (02/03/08 02:02 AM)

#303498 - 02/03/08 06:00 AM Re: Various Topics [Re: Dean Tempest]
Adveser Offline

Loc: California
I would read the article at the Church of Satan website before I buy a copy of the Necronomicon

#303507 - 02/03/08 06:53 AM Re: Various Topics [Re: Adveser]
Seeker Of Wisdom Offline

Loc: Buckholts, Tx
Would it really be considered a break away from "your" writers block, if you are using "her" storyline to go off of? An artist's block is not broken by drawing a line down the center of a Picasso, a DaVinci or an Earl painting. Just my personal thoughts on it though. HS!

"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere."
Groucho Marx

"Sex is legal, Selling is legal, why isn't selling sex legal?"
George Carlin

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"~ The Addams Family Crede

"We all have different desires and needs, but if we don't discover what we want from ourselves and what we stand for, we will live passively and unfulfilled."
Bill Watterson

#303509 - 02/03/08 07:04 AM Re: Various Topics [Re: Adveser]
Dean Tempest Offline

Originally Posted By: Adveser
I would read the article at the Church Of Satan website before I buy a copy of the Necronomicon
i figured as much from prior knowledge of it, but thanks for the suggestion. i read the article and may still pick it up if for no other reason then a good read.

#303510 - 02/03/08 07:06 AM Re: Various Topics [Re: Seeker Of Wisdom]
Dean Tempest Offline

Originally Posted By: Seeker Of Wisdom
Would it really be considered a break away from "your" writers block, if you are using "her" storyline to go off of? An artist's block is not broken by drawing a line down the center of a Picasso, a DaVinci or an Earl painting. Just my personal thoughts on it though. HS!

well the problem with when i get writers block (dont know how it is for others but for me its this way) is that i have to find something to get me excited and wanting to write. doesnt really matter what it is. if i can get the ball rolling, even if its using a tv show setting or a movie, or in this case my ex's setting, it gets me pumped up. then afterwards im able to get back into my own writings.

just a weird personal quirk i guess.

#303514 - 02/03/08 07:18 AM Re: Various Topics [Re: Dean Tempest]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: Sightless Blind
Also, while I was out and got the candles, I picked up a copy of Satan Speaks. They also had a copy of the necronomicon I may have to pick up next time I am downtown. One book at a time for me. =P

Satan Speaks! is definitely recommended. The Necronomicon ... unless it's "The Necronomicon - Selected Stories and Essays Concering the Blasphemous Tome of the Mad Arab" edited by Robert M. Price available from Chaosium I don't recommend it.

#303536 - 02/03/08 09:13 AM Re: Various Topics [Re: Dean Tempest]
Muse Offline

CoS Member

Loc: In Your Dreams
I think that utilizing a fictitious "You" to get your revenge on your ex would be very therapeutic both for getting past her betrayal as well as getting the ball rolling with your writing. I don't think it is uncommon for writers to begin writing ANYTHING just to get back to it, and then be stuck with a stunning idea for a marvelous short story, novella, or even song lyrics. Bottom line, if it's driving you...use it. Good luck love.

*Kiss*
HS!
(Currently on hiatus while I attend to grad school, but I have every intention of bringing the show back when the time is right!)

The holy trinity: Me, Myself, and I.

"Does anyone ever realize life while they are living it? Every, every minute?"
- Emily, Our Town, by Thornton Wilder

"Life's like a ballgame. You gotta take a swing at whatever comes along before you wake up and find it's the ninth inning." ~Vera (Ann Savage) in Detour

#303537 - 02/03/08 09:16 AM Re: Various Topics [Re: Seeker Of Wisdom]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
I'm not a writer, but as an artist (working in mostly 3D mediums) I do get creative blocks from time to time. This happened a lot when I was an undergrad student, probably because of the multitude of deadlines (I do better when I don't force the creative process). I can see how his approach in using her story setting would be beneficial. In my experience, anything that is emotionally charged is a good place to start.

One of my profs suggested a exercise (which seems like it could be adapted for writers) to get out of a creative block. She told me to look through several art or trade magazines. Clip out 3 pictures of pieces that I respond to. Glue then in my sketch book and combine elements that I found important into each sketch. I would do 10-15 sketches, by the 5th sketch it started too look more like my work and less like borrowed pieces, by the end it was my work.

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#303562 - 02/03/08 10:47 AM Re: Various Topics [Re: Muse]
Dean Tempest Offline

Originally Posted By: Sarah
I think that utilizing a fictitious "You" to get your revenge on your ex would be very therapeutic both for getting past her betrayal as well as getting the ball rolling with your writing. I don't think it is uncommon for writers to begin writing ANYTHING just to get back to it, and then be stuck with a stunning idea for a marvelous short story, novella, or even song lyrics. Bottom line, if it's driving you...use it. Good luck love.

*Kiss*
HS!

thanks, shes really not going to like it, because we still have a few of the same friends in the area. i post all my writings online that i dont plan on publishing, so i will do the same for this. boy is that going to burn her biscuits!!

Also I love your siggy. Me, myself, and I.

#303567 - 02/03/08 11:19 AM Re: Various Topics [Re: Dean Tempest]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Well she never did insert this character into the storyline...

That was kind of odd foreshadowing, wasn't it? It may be interesting to write the story about writing the story.

Also, I really like Ray Bradbury's Zen in the Art of Writing. If you've not read it you may find it useful.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#303638 - 02/03/08 03:33 PM Re: Various Topics [Re: Dean Tempest]
phoenixrisen Offline

Loc: Manchester, England
1st, I am proud to say that I have started construction of my altar in my bedroom.

Congratulations! I look forward to the day when I can have an altar. The place where I currently live is militantly against candles and anything that looks like it might involve candles, and space is quite limited.

Also, while I was out and got the candles, I picked up a copy of Satan Speaks.

I also have a copy and after flicking through it briefly, I'm impatient to read it. I'm just finishing The Satanic Witch first. As you said, 'one book at a time'

As for your writing ideas, I think it may very well be beneficial to you in the ways that you stated. If you're inspired, go for it!

She's not little, no minion like me--
That's why she ensnared him.

- The Laboratory by Robert Browning

#303727 - 02/03/08 08:00 PM Re: Various Topics [Re: phoenixrisen]
shadowraven213 Offline

Not all altars require candles, with enough imagination any space can be turned into a ritual chamber as long as its private.

Failing that you could find somewhere outside, just take the proper precautions on safety before you venture somewhere secluded.

#303747 - 02/03/08 09:19 PM Re: Various Topics [Re: shadowraven213]
phoenixrisen Offline

Originally Posted By: shadowraven213
Not all altars require candles, with enough imagination any space can be turned into a ritual chamber as long as its private.

Failing that you could find somewhere outside, just take the proper precautions on safety before you venture somewhere secluded.

Thank you for the suggestions.

#303751 - 02/03/08 09:24 PM Re: Various Topics [Re: phoenixrisen]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Conduct an internet search for "battery operated candles". ;\)

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#303753 - 02/03/08 09:27 PM Re: Various Topics [Re: Phineas]
phoenixrisen Offline

Originally Posted By: Phineas
Conduct an internet search for "battery operated candles". ;\)

I can't believe I didn't guess that something like this would exist. Some of them look quite convincing, too.

Thank you, Magister Phineas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12218 Members
73 Forums
43998 Topics
406134 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements