Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#304377 - 02/05/08 11:06 PM Obsessions & Studies
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
So, ASIDE FROM SATANISM, what subjects are you most obsessed with studying?

History, philosophy, science, the arts, technology, etc?

What specific aspects of these general subjects?

I mean genuinely obsessed or engrossed in to the point that a significant segment of your life is devoted to it, professionally or not.

Or are you a one note wonder?

This is not an invitation to puff-up, posture, and brag... just to indicate other areas of interest that you have some ACTUAL knowledge of or familiarity with.

Discuss.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#304380 - 02/05/08 11:27 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Specific areas I have considerable knowledge of, interest in, etc:

Languages (far from professional but far above average)
Biology - especially herpetology and the study of man as an animal
Typefaces (seriously, I've devoted a lot of time to reading about handwriting and printed type)
Geography; for some reason I find it relaxing to read about where on earth has the hottest summers, or which sea has the highest saline content
Robert E. Howard - his entire body of work and his life
Firearms - I enjoy just about anything related to firearms. Again, FAR from professional level knowledge, since there are experts out there who would consider my knowledge insignificant, but I at least know enough to get by in conversation with most of them.

#304386 - 02/06/08 12:11 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

In no particular order:

1. Iguanas. Hardly professional knowledge, but I lived with one for 9.5 years and read loads of material on iguana care and biology and nutrition, etc.

2. Comics. I've been reading comics since I was a kid, mostly stuff like Bloom County at that time, and of course I have been doing my webcomic for a year and a half now. I must admit I usually feel like I'm trying to desperately catch up with both past masters and present exciting new artists. Compared to some of the guys I know, I know practically nothing, but I'm working on that. It's not uncommon for me to go to the downtown library and get out six graphic novels and go through them in a couple of days, and I'm starting to haunt the used comic shops too. Specifically I'm interested in underground or alternative comics, and local and other Canadian artists like Colin Upton, Julian Lawrence, and Robin Bougie. I even listen to a local radio show called Inkstuds, dealing with contemporary comics as well as history of comics, of which Colin is the co-host.

3. Photography. I wouldn't call this professional knowledge either, though I'm getting close to that. I love going through anthologies and analyzing the images, I love just going for a walk and taking pictures of neat stuff, I love my classes working with models and refining my knowledge of lighting, I love setting up still life work at home, and I love darkroom work when I can find the time.

4. Painting. I've been painting since I was a kid. It comes and goes in spurts - for a while I'll paint almost obsessively, then not at all. Here I'm more interested in doing than studying per se, but I do also enjoy learning about art history and theory to a lesser extent.

5. Web design/new media. I like XHTML and CSS, and I'm looking forward to learning more about Flash and other aspects I'll be learning over the next year.

6. Graphic and typographic design, both theory and history. It does tie into my web design work to a certain extent. I give myself weird design or type-based self-assignments just for fun. Like how could you make a relatively innocuous font like Helvetica evoke some weird or sinister idea and really support and enhance that idea using the font alone. Since taking a typography class and than a book design class that dealt with typography in depth, it's become something that I pay a great deal of attention to.

#304388 - 02/06/08 12:18 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Maqlu]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
1. Paranormal things, specifically dreams, OBE's, etc.

I spend way more time then I think researching this stuff. I have been a fairly "lucid" dreamer for the better years of my life, and have had instances of OBE's and have been ever reaching for the goal of astral projection. This is something I rarely mention, as it is all a very personal thing for me, and something I have been interested in since I was a child.

On the side of this, I also study alien activity, ghosts and other such things. Not much to talk about here, but again, spent a LOT of time infront of books, or the computer looking into this stuff. Just a nice little hobby.

2. Fiction. Fantasy, sci-fi.

I love it. A lot of it. Most of it. Anything I can get my hands on, since I was young. This corresponds with my love for writing, which I do on a fairly regular basis. I am, and will be, writing this kind of material. It is something of an obsession of mine, I suppose, since I spend much of my time thinking of new stories, or reading or watching that which has already been created by others.

#304393 - 02/06/08 12:45 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
Calculus - I am obsessed with gaining a better understanding of mathematics.

Photography - film, digital, developing and printing black and white images, etc.

Motorcycles - I can eat, breathe, drink, sleep motorcycles if given the opportunity.

Firearms - I haven't memorized every model from every manufacturer but I know what I like and enjoy reading about them as well as using and cleaning them and buying ammunition

Wine making - micro-scale, 5 gallon batches.

Gardening - My front yard is full of native plants instead of a lawn and I love making sure they're healthy and happy.

These things allow me to do as well as learn in ways that I find enjoyable. I do occasionally pick up fleeting pursuits but the ones I have listed are the mainstays.

#304395 - 02/06/08 12:53 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
metallurgy & jewelry/wearable sculpture (professional)

art history, my favorite artists include:
- Edward Weston (American photographer)
- Franz Marc (German Expressionist painter)
- Picasso (Spanish painter, co-founder of Cubism)
- Matisse (French Fauvist and later Expressionist painter)
- Louise Bourgeois (French sculptor)
and just about anything from The Bauhaus
... not sure how to classify my knowledge/experience on this one

photography & graphic design (formerly professional, now very part time professional)

dance: ballet & various modern forms (semi-professional)

psychology, cognitive science, cultural anthropology (hobby)

zoology, more specifically reptiles, amphibians, and predatory mammals (hobby)
I’m the proud owner of a blue tounge skink & participate in a herp rescue group

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#304404 - 02/06/08 02:46 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
For me, the big one would be space flight.

I could tell you off the top of my head the name of every man who walked on the moon. On which mission, filling which role in the crew. And where they landed and why, and the geology they found there (the broad strokes of it, at least), and any stories about notable or funny stuff that happened to them. And also what each of them had for breakfast on the day of the launch.

I've studied the history of the development of the space shuttle, and exactly how we ended up with the compromise vehicle that we did. I could talk your ear off about how the shuttles are wonderful, beautiful ships; but also why they're essentially a failed experiment and should have been retired twenty years ago. (And also how the Soviet shuttle was arguably a superior design.)

I'm not sure what makes the subject so fascinating to me. Maybe it's the grandeur, the romance, the unshakable sense that this is humanity's Next Big Thing. Or maybe it was just my gloriously misspent youth as a sci-fi nerd.

-Chess

#304408 - 02/06/08 03:16 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Valek Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Non-local
Lately, my biggest passion has been scripting and programming languages. Recently I've been trying to learn PHP, and integrate that into my HTML usage. I've also been trying to utilize it for forum customization. The stage I'm at so far has allowed me to look at the link to this reply page and see that it's using $_GET, and also the variables and values of those variables used (they're in the address bar there. If you see a php link with a ? afterwards and whatever=suchandsuch, you're seeing usage of $_GET).

Other languages I know, am learning, or am intending to learn are Visual Basic, CSS, C++, PERL, Javascript, and maybe some others if there is interest along the way. As a companion to PHP, I am also learning MySQL, so I can use PHP alongside a database.

The biggest other thing I can think of would be bowling, as odd as that may sound. I've been doing it for 15 years, and have a great understanding of the mechanics of the sport (yes, there are actually mechanics to it that bring it beyond the 'luck' most people attribute to it). It's absolutely fascinating, particularly if you have an interest in, and/or understanding of Physics.

I could also mention my 13 year (and continuing) study of all things computers, but that'd just be redundant due to the first paragraph of this post, so I'll lay it down here.

#304412 - 02/06/08 03:27 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
American comics: I've always read them for fun and recreation, but a few years ago I started writing about them as well and found that there were many areas that I did not know enough about, so I've been reading up on the history of the genre, biographies of writers and artists and different themes used in the stories.

Mythology and occult history: sort of a side project to the above, since a lot of mythological or occult themes occur in the stories. This is also something I've read on and off throughout my whole life.

Music: I try to keep up with current events in a number of musical genres, mainly metal and related areas. I had a period where I spent a lot of time on the operas of Richard Wagner and reading about his life, it's something that I want to get back to this year (just ordered the Barenboim version of The Ring on DVD yesterday).

History: In my youth it was mostly ancient history, especially the roman empire. Lately it's more in the area of cyberhistory. Since I've started working with computers I found it interesting to see which ideas and sometimes coincidences have shaped the field I work in.

Computers, programming and systems development: In my younger days this was both work and hobby, these days it's mostly just work - which is still a quite significant part of my life, so I spend time keeping up with my field. I'm looking into SCRUM certification and trying to keep up with all the new Java/JEE and web services stuff that is coming out.

#304414 - 02/06/08 03:31 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: verszou]
Damaeon96 Offline
Banned

Loc: Kentucky
A short list:

Cooking
Writing
Unsolved mysteries
Computers
training and raising dogs of all size and breed

"Here's to hell. May the stay there be as fun as the way there!" - Groucho Marx

#304417 - 02/06/08 04:11 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
SueW Offline
CoS Member

Loc: TN,United States
I embroider (crewel and blackwork as well as crossstitch)
cooking and baking
serial killers
Vampires ( I prefer the concept of genetic ones as in a separate species which is different than the Vampire Goth lifestyle)
cake decorating
music ( I like following up music leads and links that are sent to me)
movies (same as above) -favorite movie "Wickerman" 1973
Vlad the Impaler
The Tudors

#304424 - 02/06/08 05:39 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
shadowraven213 Offline

1 Computers, my fifth birthday I was given a zx spectrum with rubber keys and immediately sat down and programmed the thing, then started to change the programs to do other things and that feelings never left me.

2 Military battles and their execution, tactics really fascinate me chess on a larger scale my father bought me a book on Alexander the great as a child and from there I learned of his victory's against Darius III using superior tactics against a much larger force and was hooked.

3 Women! yep I study these creatures with great gusto some might call it an obsession I like to think its merely intense appreciation \:\)

4 Food I love to cook and spend a significant amount of time trying out new ways of cooking and I have been told I take too long to eat, I maintain they eat too fast to enjoy it!

#304430 - 02/06/08 06:06 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
London Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The Inmost Dens
Sideshows - Anything and everything. I've actually acquired so many gaffs my bedroom looks like a ten-in-one. I went to the Human Bodies Exhibit today and it further reinforced my belief that I could make money just charging people to look at all of the crap I have lying around.

Firearms - Interested mostly in the self-defense / survival variety for personal ownership, but I also find the mechanics fascinating. I've actually bought guns just to take them apart and see how they work.

Survivalism - This is something I got into only about a year ago, but I find the whole subject essentially very Satanic, as long as one does not go too overboard or venture into the whole "Blue Helmet TEOTWAWKI" kind of mindset. Actually my web browser has a survivalism forum open right beside this one right now.

Guerilla Warfare - Another one I recently got interested in. People seem to be at their most creative when trying to kill eachother

Scams - People seem to be at their second most creative when trying to rip eachother off. Thousands of very clever, very unscrupulous methods out there. It's always good to fine-tune the old bullshit detector. Forewarned is forarmed!

That's it off the top of my head.

#304432 - 02/06/08 06:33 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: London]
Ghorth6 Offline

Loc: War-Celona, sPAIN
Music. Not professionally, but I've been playing in my own band for almost three years now and well, things are progressing slowly but sure now.

Cigars. Also not professionally, but I'm member of two Cigar smokers Clubs. I have around 600 sticks at home, some of them are over 15 years old, but still excellent to burn.

Languages. Not exclusively on a professional level, but having to deal daily with both Asia and the American continent somehow invites to learn languages. Spanish, Catalan, English and German are being spoken so far. Thus, I'm learning French and Norwegian, and have been studying Mandarin Chinese for two years.

Geography. Mostly due to my job as well. You may combine this one with travelling, also due to my job, but also as a hobby. So far, I've been in all european countries (no exception), Turkey, Japan, Singapore, China, Hong Kong, U.S.A., Equatorial Guinea, Cuba (cigars, of course) and Mexico. Thailand will follow shortly. Seattle already this Friday.

My daughter... my biggest obsession, study, pride, hobby and whatever you may call it!!!

H.S.

All I Hail, Hail me back!

#304433 - 02/06/08 06:44 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

I can't say that I am obsessed with any ONE subject really. I have an incredible thirst for knowledge in many avenues. Mainly I like to research psychology. I do like history which is a relatively new interest and now find myself watching a lot of history shows and reading a bit.
Psychology, sociology, any aspect of psychology I can get my hands on.
At one time in my life I moved around a lot and met many different people and studied them, my interactions with them. Now I am studying the -why?
Like I said, I don't just focus on one subject, I move all over the place. The internet makes it fast too, if I hear about something I can immediately look it up, or if I need to learn how to do something, just as I can test the authenticity of any information.

#304435 - 02/06/08 06:57 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
 Quote:
Specific areas I have considerable knowledge of, interest in, etc:

Languages (far from professional but far above average)
Biology - especially herpetology and the study of man as an animal
Typefaces (seriously, I've devoted a lot of time to reading about handwriting and printed type)
Geography; for some reason I find it relaxing to read about where on earth has the hottest summers, or which sea has the highest saline content
Robert E. Howard - his entire body of work and his life
Firearms - I enjoy just about anything related to firearms. Again, FAR from professional level knowledge, since there are experts out there who would consider my knowledge insignificant, but I at least know enough to get by in conversation with most of them.

Your knowledge of computers and programming is quite astounding for a non-professional as well, if I might add. =)

#304437 - 02/06/08 07:21 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Malakuma Offline

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Japanese language. A large portion of my time is devoted to studying and writing Japanese. Mastering the language is extremely important to me for personal and professional reasons. Unfortunately, despite living here for 3 years, I have a long long way to reach perfection. Ganbatteimasu.

Next is history, specifically Japanese, more specifically WWII (relations with China and the US). My goal is to translate books and documents into English.

Finally, my own stories and artwork. My time devoted to them depends on my mood; nevertheless, they are still an important part of my life.

#304439 - 02/06/08 07:27 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
Music has always been my first obsession. I have a wide range of heavy metal and hard rock knowledge, the history of the genre and the bands that have defined and shaped it. I've studied the careers of certain rock groups and have a thorough grasp of the lifestyle from bar bands to stadium stars. I've played guitar for years and will go through phases where I study scales and music theory to the point of madness. I also occasionally enjoy recording and mixing music with analog equipment. Lately I haven't been as obsessed with music as much as I have been in the past.

Psychology is a newer interest of mine. I am not as knowledgeable about the subject as I would like to be so I have much more reading to do. I've been learning about anatomy as well, how chemicals in our brains affect our attitudes and behavior. What causes these chemical reactions.

Human behavior. I've learned a lot just by watching.

In many ways behavior, psychology and anatomy are connected and I think a more thorough knowledge of these subjects will be very valuable and useful to me.

Poetry and literature. Always been a Edgar Allan Poe fan. More recently I've taken to reading Oscar Wilde, studying his writing style and word usage. I just started into Shakespeare as well.

I tend to obsess over a narrow range of subjects at any one time. If I spread myself too thin I find that I cannot put any serious attention into any of my interests and thus I gain very little. So it is a matter of setting my priorities to match my current interests. This last week I have set aside my obsessions and have been focusing on reading all of my Satanic literature again.

#304450 - 02/06/08 08:09 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Lust Offline

"So, ASIDE FROM SATANISM, what subjects are you most obsessed with studying?"

I fail to see how these things that I enjoy studying, or have a general interest in, somehow lies outside of Satanism? I devote a lot of time, and research to the art of Sales. I have my own personal theory on the matter. It is my bread and butter if you will.
Parenting, is also a subject that I am interested in. All of which I do for selfish reasons. I find that very Satanic.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#304453 - 02/06/08 08:14 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
I'd say-

Psychology- an interest I had long before I started studying it academically. In fact, it's been a fascination of mine for as long as I can remember.

Art - including its history, famous artists, techniques (drawing and painting, Photoshop, photography, filming, sculpting etc…).

Human Sexuality- the personal and interpersonal psychology behind it, gender definitions, fetishes and perversions, props, techniques (on the theoretical as well as the practical level, from BDSM to Kama Sutra and more) and of course- the laws of seduction and manipulation through sexual suggestion in general.

Maybe philosophy can go in here too- which by itself is very interesting, but I also believe is an inseparable part of psychology.

I think those are the only subjects that I'm REALLY "obsessed" with.

I had many obsessions in the past, and I have a strong feeling I'll develop some more in the future- but I think the aforementioned are here to stay.

Edited by The_Lightning (02/06/08 10:03 AM)

#304456 - 02/06/08 08:31 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: The_Lightning]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Loc: Florida
Paleo-anthropology/Biological evolution/Religion as an evolutionary social construct.

English/Celtic History (Arthurian mythos-Tudor times)

Dogs. Dog shows. Breeding/Eugenics of Dogs.

American Playwrights.

Movies/TV that create total environments.

Roller Coasters. (I love the engineering that makes them possible)

Advocating against/Creating legislation/Destroying sexual predators.

Collecting Cheshire Cats (One must study the artistic changes---very zeitgeist is kitty)

Cosmetics and handbags. (Study: How to get the same product for $10. that is usually $50. by simply comparing incredients)

Gourmet cooking.

Y~

Edited by Ygraine (02/06/08 08:38 AM)
Edit Reason: Can't shut up

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#304458 - 02/06/08 08:46 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
This is a good discussion starter, Magister. In fact, I was planning an essay on my lifetime area of study. Perhaps this will suffice.

While I have many interests; and, from time to time will get lost on a particular subject until I am satisfied that I have an understanding of it, the one subject that I have been obsessive about, since the age of nine, is astrology.

Now…I can see the eyes roll, so I would like to elaborate. I do not read my horoscope. I am fully aware that astrology is considered a pseudoscience; and I understand why. I make no claims that astrology “works”. I have a fair bit of knowledge in the nuts and bolts of the thing.

The reason I find the study of astrology valuable is that it opens up avenues of study in virtually every major subject…history, psychology, sociology, anatomy and medicine, symbolism, mathematics, astronomy, physics, mythologies, politics…the list is endless.

While the sweep seems broad, at any avenue, I can follow an interest as deeply as I choose. I have taken chemistry and astronomy courses, just for the fun of it, because of interests I have developed while studying astrology.

So…that is why I have enjoyed a lifelong obsession with astrology. It has opened up vistas of exploration traveled for the sheer thrill of knowledge…pure and simple.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#304459 - 02/06/08 08:57 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Dancing...From different types of folk dance around the world to MTV Viddy-Hos. I love watching a body move in exceptional ways. The sheer beauty and skill of it often has brougth tears to my eyes.

I'm also obsessed with urban club/dancehall moves. The bogo, harlem shake, soldier, tati, bounce, honky, butterfly, etc. I can't actually do them all, but that doesn't stop me from trying. In my dreams I can breakdance... (So You Think You Can Dance fans, I'm looking at you.)

Home decorating...(although I guess this could fit into Total Environment) I'm obsessed with modern trends in design and how I can reproduce them for cheaper and make them cooler, hopefully using something I found on the curb. Another man's garbage is indeed my treasure.

Shoes.

Mimicking other languages, especially ones that I don't understand. This indeed has high obsessive qualities to it, because rarely am I attempting to actually learn the language, but I hear the sounds and the small intricate nuances in speech and feel compelled to repeat it until I get it right.

My Family Mythology...Nobody in my family knows their accurate family history, so I've stopped asking specific details and simply let them tell the stories they want to tell.

Religion, ritual, worldviews, mostly from a functionalist perspectives.

#304460 - 02/06/08 09:03 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Philosophy is my overwhelmingly #1 obsession, but that can be broken down into subheaders.

My dissertation research is on Early Modern metaphysics and epistemology, specifically Kant's theories on the soul and on self-knowledge. (My MA work was on Spinoza, and had some epistemology and metaphysics in it, too.)

Last year, I picked up a fair chunk of Late Medieval logic and a bit of metaphysics. I invested in my own copy of Aristotle's Organon, and three volumes of William of Ockham.

I have a long standing interest in European philosophy, which subdivides into three further subheadings:
- German Idealism and Neo-Kantianism,
- Phenomenology (which is really the successor to the former, but found novel applications in addressing problems of method in the social sciences), and
- Poststructuralism (this is the odd duck out, but stems from my attraction to the Creepy French Nietzscheans - Klossowski, Bataille, Foucault, Deleuze, Lyotard...).

Anglo-American philosophy of law and political philosophy. I'd say this is one of the very few areas where the English language tradition has a strong advantage over European philosophy. I also study enough law to be able to follow what's going on. Early Modern political philosophy is also extremely valuable.

Where I have the time, psychology as it relates to subjects of interest to me as a philosopher (identity/meaning construction, moral reasoning, etc.); and economics, especially Austrian economics, but I want to brush up on my Chicago school background at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Right now I'm TAing for a course that involves a heavy component of international diplomacy and development.

And I've always had an interest in myth and religion, taken primarily as expressions of human imagination.

Right now I'm also reading Njáll's Saga, and am enjoying it. I might start reading a bit more fantasy literature if I can find something that is comparably engaging. Njáll's Saga is unlike anything I've ever read - one minute, warriors clash in dark groves, windswept heaths or heaving ship decks, cleaving each other in half with magic weapons; and the next minute, the survivors are engaged in tense court battles to negotiate cash settlements for the families of the slain. It combines fantasy adventure, intrigue, suspense, and courtroom drama. All written in the 13th century (and set in the 10th). It's fascinating.

A lot of my passions clearly imply an interest in history.

When I need a refresher, I sit down with my six volumes of full color facsimiles of the illuminated print works of William Blake.

Edited by reprobate (02/06/08 09:14 AM)

#304462 - 02/06/08 09:18 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Magister_Harris Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Long Island
The radio industry - Obvious, considering what I'm known for. I devour trade mags and online publications pertaining to the radio business. I like to follow trends as far as what formats are the most palatable to advertisers, and what formats are accruing the highest cumulative listenership in various demographics.

Poker - I read, on average, at least two books on poker playing a month. I am obsessed with this very simple yet complex game that allows anyone with an above average ability to apply lesser magic skills to fleece others out of money.

Neuro-linguistic Programming (NLP) - a recent obsession that stems back to both my background in radio sales, as well as an interview that I conducted with Magister Nemo. Books and lectures by Richard Bandler and John Grinder borrow aspects from several psychotherapists, including renowned clinical hypnotist Milton Erickson, to develop a communication system that allows one to exert an tremendous amount of influence on the mental state of other people, as well as themselves.
Host - Hate Speech Radio
http://www.hatespeechradio.com

#304468 - 02/06/08 09:38 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Archaeology (especially Ancient Egypt and Rome)

Reading books on all kind of different subjects (both fiction and non-fiction)

Computers. I try to keep up to date to the last developments in computer hardware. I like to build and re-build my own computers and some times I put a lot of energy and time on non-commercial projects just for fun. I have been recently experimenting with non-mainstream Operative Systems like Ubuntu.

My Comics. Not exactly a subject of study, but it is something I dedicate a great amount of my time and effort. I try to keep improving my art skills all the time and I experiment with new things form time to time.

#304469 - 02/06/08 09:42 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Magister_Harris]
Scion Offline

Loc: London, UK
History - all periods are of interest but the area I like the most and am most familiar with is early modern Europe as it was the time when the seeds of modern society were sown and we started to move away from the pretty stagnant dark and middle ages into where we are now.

Squash - I've been playing for nearly two years and really enjoy it. I'm not that good at it (compared to a lot of the other people I play) but being a fairly non-competetive type that doesn't bother me, I just like the exercise and fun of it.

Singing - I trained for a year and a bit to develop my voice and really enjoyed it. I'm not currently doing anything now but intend to start lessons again sometime this year as part of my to do list.

Acting - something I've done for a long time and to a professional level (nothing major but I did paid work as a child and was offered a place in a very good drama school - why oh why didn't I take that rather than going to the shit heap of a school I went to?). Unfortunately lack of time means I don't get to do it much now, I belong to a theatre group near where I live but have only done one production with them so far. Looking forward to do more in the future though.

I also have interests in literature, music (particularly classical) and psychology but nothing I would call an obsession. I just enjoy them.

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

www.vampiretemple.com - are you one of us?

#304470 - 02/06/08 09:47 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: reprobate]
Max Faust Offline
Banned

Loc: Ultima Thule
 Originally Posted By: reprobate
reading Njáll's Saga

My compliments on that. It is indeed a story that has it all.

May I also suggest "Egill Skallagrimssons Saga" (an even worse badass than Conan the Barbarian ;\) ) and "Hrolf Kraki's Saga" - both available in Penguin Classics paperback edition. Norse Saga (it means "the word" or "what has been said") literature is really a genre of its own.

Anyway, to the point of the thread, I guess it is a bit of an obsession of mine to study the history and evolution of ideas as structural phenomenons ("crowd crystals") in human society. "Memetics" is a whole discipline of nonlinear study which has been named after Richard Dawkin's concept - a meme being the least amount of information necessary to transport an idea - but it is not yet quite acceptable as good and kosher science, like for instance psychology. ;\)

I am also somewhat obsessed with sex.

#304471 - 02/06/08 09:48 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
Great topic.

1. Languages. With Spanish and Portuguese solidly under my belt, I'm taking a stab at Italian and would like to be fluent within a year and a half.

2. Dance. I was in ballet shoes from the moment I could walk, and there is no art form that I appreciate more than beautiful dancing.. my favorites being ballet, tango, flamenco, and modern. From studying the history of ballet to searching for new and beautiful music that accompanies various forms of dance, I just can't get enough. I don't dance anymore (except on that rare night out), but it will always be a huge part of my heart.

3. Fashion (this encapsulates hair and cosmetics as well as clothing). I'm not talking about your cheap, trendy, or herdish fashions that you see walking down the street... rather extreme couture that pushes the limits of what is generally seen as beautiful.

4. My most recent obsession is exercise and fitness. I've fallen in love with learning about and trying new things and pushing myself physically to do things I never thought I'd be able to accomplish. There is so much to study regarding the human body and how to make it the strongest and best it can be that it sometimes makes my head spin, and I'll never want for new learning material.

I'd list the art of Lesser Magic(from the art of seduction to basic manipulation of every day situations in dealing with others) as it would be near the top of my list, but it really falls into the category of Satanism, so I'll leave mention of it down here. \:\)

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#304477 - 02/06/08 10:12 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Adveser Offline

Loc: California
I like just about anything that I can learn gradually. I mostly love Technology though and music is my love. I tend to hate anything that is very hard to understand or gets confusing. That's no fun! I'm trying to learn how to sing, but it is getting frustrating. I'm going into computer electronics because I realized in this day and age being audio engineer is not gonna go anywhere long term. Better to invent and work on the tools themselves than the process of using them.

#304484 - 02/06/08 10:41 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Bruja]
Raine Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I never really thought about listing these things until now, but I just realized almost everything on the list is something I managed to study in college. I think part of the reason I never went back [after taking what was going to be one semester off to go overseas] is that I realized that I was learning more by reading and studying on my own than I was sitting in lecture and completing the coursework. A lot of my interests/obsessions are somewhat tied together.

Survivalism & Disaster Preparedness I don't like the idea of having to rely on others if I'm a bad situation, so I like to prepare for as many situations as I can, as best as I can. I do volunteer work with a few groups as part of this interest, because it's a great way to get training and experience, and looks great on my resume when applying for advanced training in the field that I work in. I'm also part of a preparedness group that bases itself firmly on first-hand knowledge and experience, and cuts a lot of the bs that many "survivalists" suffer from, so I've had the chance to learn from people who are experts in various areas that I would have been hard pressed to meet otherwise.

Skinhead Culture This is where my roots are, I guess, and I've spent years as a skin or around skins, as well as doing research on various aspects of the culture and the music for school papers. This pretty much covers everything from understanding the different politics between crews and groups and how they evolved [from the early skins who were multi-racial but anti-immigrant, to the current scene which is split between non-racist, anti-racist, and racist crews]. It also cover the genres of music associated with the scene [skinhead reggae, ska, rocksteady, dancehall, punk, & oi], and the different types of fashion [from punk-influenced to the more "old school" look of tonic suits or button-down shirts and slacks].

American Far-Right Movements The two aren't always related, but there's enough of an overlap in most people's minds, and in much of the available research, to say this includes both racialist and patriot/militia and other nationalist type movements. I was pretty much raised in this and, again, it made for an easy source of research papers while studying sociology and criminal justice, because I had access to interviews, newsletters, events, etc that most other students wouldn't. It's another one of those things that I was able to study both as a participant and an observer, which is really the only way to "understand" most movements that are based in a large part on emotional or sentimental appeal. Reading Eric Hoffer in my early 20s, combined with studying these groups from the inside and reading the research and conclusions of those opposed to them taught me a lot about both myself and the nature of most mass movements and the people involved in them.

Historical Sociology The interconnect between a historical events the the social circumstances surrounding them, specifically the effects that gender roles/norms and economic conditions had on the course of history. To get even more specific, I'm fascinated by conditions in America between the War Between the States and WWII, the history of Ireland the the peoples of the British Isles, and the role of women in both guerrilla and resistance movements and in primarily male-oriented subcultures.

Sexuality Both as a part of sociology, because the popularity and views towards various fetishes and type of sexual activities often reflect other attitudes within the dominant culture, and on it's own because sex is just fascinating and fun. It's pretty cool finding new stuff to try, and then being like "well damn, never heard of that before, but it was pretty hot".

Books If there's such a thing as a compulsive reader, I may be one. I've got bookcases everywhere in the house that they will fit, and boxes of additional books stacked in what was the dining room, because there is nowhere else to put them [when I am able to build my own house, one of the main features will be a huge library off the master bedroom]. I'm probably not as selective a reader as some, but I've found several topics and authors that interested me by just picking up books at random, and oftentimes I'll try to collect every book I can find by an author I like or on a subject which interests me, so I always have several lists of "more books to buy" in my notebooks.

Kitty Pictures This is odd because I don't really care for cats as pets, but I've had a thing for collecting cute and weird pictures of cats for the last year or two, mostly Hello Kitty and derivatives, and a lot of "lolcatz" here lately. I've got 2 framed WWII prints of Nazi soldiers with kittens in the living room, and am looking for more of the same.

#304485 - 02/06/08 10:43 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Ohio
History, particularly American history, from pre-colonization to WWII. I need to delve deeper into the Great War, however. Post WWII I am intermediate, there is still much room for improvement of my Acumen.

Philosophy and logic, from Thales to present. Argumentation and logical fallacies.

The Law, primarily U.S. for the time being. Case law is an especially large body of thought, and one could immerse himself for a lifetime and merely scratch the surface. I enjoy case law because it provides analysis and lends insight on just how variant interpretation can be from one locale to another. Right now I'm focused on litigation, torts, and contract law (both common law and UCC).

Nanotechnology, Moore's Law, Exponential growth, etc. These are interwoven subjects with which I have been obsessed for the last 11 years. I make it a point to keep up with such technology because I think it has the potential to greatly change the world in my lifetime.

Archeology/Paleontology/Anthropology -- interwoven subjects which have captivated me since I was a child. From dinosaurs to crystal skulls, rocks, minerals, arrowheads, old coins, bullets, lost civilizations -- you name it. Basically anything which involves digging old things up from the ground.

Animals -- I like learning both of animals in the wild, their behaviorism, breeding, habitats, etc. and of animal husbandry. I have quite a few animals, many of them rescues, and I find it interesting to read about all aspects of an animals life and needs.

I've many other quasi-obsessions, which wax and wane, but the above are the most consistent.

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski

#304488 - 02/06/08 10:51 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Raine]
Shegeek Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Autism spectrum & awareness- One of my dream jobs is working as an autistic support aid. I've done it in the past, and it's extremely personally rewarding work.

Coffee- I know it's odd, I just adore coffee.

Film- I love movies. Going through a 1920's-1950's kinda thing right now.

Traveling circus sideshows and carnivals.

Comics

Travel- Recently hopped on a plane alone and took my chances overseas in the UK. Never regretted it for a second. It lit a fire under my butt.

Social Studies.

The rest is kind of week by week. If I find something I don't know anything about but would like to, I read up.

**Edit- Forgot Cryptids. An animal which has been reported as existing, but has not been proven to exist yet. I.E. the giant squid who has since been removed from the Cryptid list.

Edited by Shegeek (02/06/08 11:00 AM)

Kurt Vonnegut

#304492 - 02/06/08 11:00 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
Technology - Professional. I just finished a diploma and I'm hoping to start a degree by the end of this year or next year. I want to go into research and development.

Art - non-professional. I like finding new ways to make art. For the past couple of weeks I have been messing around with fractals and attempting to learn how to use Maya 2008, no where near being a pro at it.

#304493 - 02/06/08 11:31 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: tovasshi]
DaggerJack Offline

Loc: California, USA
Billiards- I find daily practice is the only thing that keeps me from killing my dorm mates. I can shoot accurately with either hand too, but it took a lot of practice as I am not ambidextrous.

The Middle East- Hate most of the religion, hate most of the culture born from it, LOVE the land. The art and architecture are beautiful, as is the language, in both it's written and spoken form. Plus, I don't see anything wrong with cutting off the thief's hand. Flogging the rape victim is wrong, but amputating the thief's hand is good policy in my book.

#304498 - 02/06/08 11:56 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
I think mine is pretty obvious. Mine is more than an interest. It is what certain psychologists have referred to as having a life’s cause or mission. I have heard it said on these forums that “you are not what you do” and here is where I differ from that. This is what I do. This is what I stand for. This is the essence of who I am in words. This is who I am and what I will be remembered for.

I started writing when I was seven years old. War stories. Spy stories. The stuff of a boy's fantasy world. By the time I was eleven it had evolved into poetry, which has become my life work.

As most here know, my work has appeared in publications around the world and I continue to achieve real world recognition as a contemporary poet.

As a friend of mine said a while ago “one day you will really be considered something. And in one hundred years they’ll be teaching you in schools.”

I continue my evolution as a writer and my ultimate goal is for them to one day call me the greatest poet of my generation.

Of course, you requested that we keep it outside of Satanism. But here that is impossible; rather than struggle to fabricate “Satanic art” mine is intrinsically me. Therefore it is by nature Satanic at the most fundamental level.

Though I have other what could be called mild interests in life, for me, there is only this. Nothing else.

#304501 - 02/06/08 12:03 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
I narrowed it down to three broad categories but they all relate and jigsaw together. It’s perfectly clear to me where those connections are but maybe not to the casual passersby. I am amassing a small library on all of these subjects. I’ve also found a lot of great resources on the internet.

Puppets, marionettes, toys – History of and making... This is how I spend the majority of my days: tinkering with/building puppet body parts, reading about them, researching how and what to make, drawing, finding inspiration in all manner of curiosities, scouting through junk and antique stores for widgets and whirligigs.
Offshoots of this are:
-Automata, mechanization, sculpture
-Artists like Brothers Quay, Jessica Joslin, Vladimir Gvozdev

Anatomy (mostly human) – skeletal and muscular systems. Illustration and construction mainly. I love to draw and learn about how the body works. Helps with the puppets.
Off shoots of this are:
-Medical anomalies and teratology – from 15th century depictions of werewolves and mermaids to 20th century sideshow freaks.
(General curiosities fit in here: Museums, taxidermy, carnivals, haunted houses)
-Medical instruments (mostly antique): Dentistry, Gynecological, Funerary
-Collecting bones

Death (just your friendly neighborhood thanatophile) - there is no easy way to sum this one up but it relates to the prior two.
-Culture of dissection – History (Renaissance era, anatomie theatres)
-Forensics: pathology, anthropology, taphonomy, entomology
-Funerary customs, death taboos
-Gallows humour – Edward Gorey, Addams Family, Tim Burton

"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#304504 - 02/06/08 12:23 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Shade]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
My primary obsessions and focused areas of interest and study include:

*Writing
*Religion
*Human nature and culture. (I was going to say "psychology," but that implies that I'm a Freud groupie, or that I know every last thing about every theorist or every last experiment ever conducted. That's not so much my focus, as I am much more interested in probing how people behave and think, and why, and how one ought to respond to this.)
*Strange miscellaneous trivia and odd facts
*Movies, especially the more unusual or obscure ones. (And, to a lesser degree, music, with the same qualifier.)
*Books and reading.

When I go to the book store, I tend to zero in on the social sciences, religion, and nature-related sections.

Those who know me realize that bringing up any of these subjects is akin to pressing a "magic button." Instantly, I become animated, and ready to talk your ear off.

This thread is exciting, because now I know who to go to when I, say, want to learn more about puppetry, or comic books.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#304507 - 02/06/08 12:29 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
I wouldn't consider myself one dimensional, but I enjoy spending most of my time learning about what intesrests me the most. In this case, it's definitely The Arts.

Specifically, I enjoy studying the history of early 20th Century Composers, the breaking down of traditional Major/Minor tonality, and the use of incorporating imagery along with the musical arrangements. I also enjoy reading/studying the evolution of Music from as early as the Renaissance period, the formation of early instruments (such as the Lute, which would pave the way for the Guitar), and how different cultures/mythology have an influence on the musical works themselves.

Other areas I like to study, but am not 100% the best informed on, are Political Ideologies (notably Conservatism, Libertarianism), History pertaining to wars (French Revolution, WWI, WWII), Science pertaining to Physics (mostly Sound, Acoustics) and Biology (Evolution, Anatomy, medicine, etc.)

#304509 - 02/06/08 12:39 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
 Quote:
I think mine is pretty obvious. Mine is more than an interest. It is what certain psychologists have referred to as having a life’s cause or mission. I have heard it said on these forums that “you are not what you do” and here is where I differ from that. This is what I do. This is what I stand for. This is the essence of who I am in words. This is who I am and what I will be remembered for.

I feel the same way about my own work.

#304512 - 02/06/08 12:56 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Incubus Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
In no particular order:

Computer animation, specifically how to improve my own workflow and product (graphic arts and illustration also, but in support of my animation work)

Computers in general, Linux and other free software

World War 2 history, specifically Nazi Germany and the SS

Military history and strategy, and World War 2 leaders such as Patton, Rommel, Guderian, etc.

Edited by Incubus (02/06/08 10:35 PM)
Edit Reason: Removed subjects of new or less serious interest
"The might of aithêr chases it into the sea, sea spits it out onto solid ground, earth spits it up into rays of the radiant sun and sun hurls it into the whirlpools of aithêr. One receives it from another, then another from another, and they all hate it. This is the way that I too am now going, an exile from the gods and a wanderer, placing my trust in mad Strife."

-Empedocles (c.490 - 430 BCE)

#304518 - 02/06/08 01:17 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
1. The history of science, particularly alchemy, and the old formulas and methods of making chemicals. So much so that I've considered getting a masters in history after my BS in chemistry, but for now it is still an amateur interest.

2. The evolutionary psychology of Homo Sapiens with particular focus on that mental machinery that makes religion a persistent feature of H. Sapiens cultural and social make-up.

3. Internet culture (what internet culture). No really, it does exist, and for some reason I'm fascinated by it.

4. Silver smithing, metallurgy.

5. Cryptozoology.

#304520 - 02/06/08 01:35 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
My obsessions:

Firearms: I am far from an expert but I very interested in utility more than anything else. I have met a lot of people who can spout off models and calibers all day. But my focus is what gets the job done best and what I can use legally and when.

Self-defense: Again, I am no expert. I have only trained in a few. My main focus is Krav Maga, but I try to incorporate all kinds of things from traditional training to just dirty little tricks. I like considering different opportunities and scenarios to keep my wits about me.

Electromagnetism/circuits: I am professionally educated in this field and will soon be beginning a career in it. I love circuits, they are like little puzzles. I like electromagnetism because I find electricity in its various different forms just fascinating. It is a lot of fun learning all the physics, theories, and mathematics that make up the science of it. I also like putting myself through the grinder of engineering school because it is rewarding and makes me appreciate all the hard work engineers really do. Also, plasma is another aspect of EM I love and will be soon taking three engineering classes on the subject. It is going to be hard but very rewarding.

Transhumanism: I like the concept of improving the human body and mind through technology. I also like the idea of improving the human condition. It is amazing what leaps and bounds science makes and the change in human behavior that occurs because of it. It also give me an idea of what direct certain areas of society might travel to.

Nanotechnolgoy: Love the stuff and if I can I would also like to do it professionally in terms of microelectronics and fabricating materials at the molecular level. The possibilities with such a technology are immense. I read every book I can find on the subject and I plan to take a few classes on the application of it.

Military History: Since I was a child I loved history, especially military history. The strategy and tactics used by some of the greatest generals are simply grand. I find men like Patton, Lee, and Genghis Khan admirable. I also love the whole mechanics and function of the military at its peak (during war).

Smart Drugs (nootropics): I am self-educating myself in the realm of brain enhancers. Developing a real life working knowledge on legal and safe substances that you can use to improve your memory, critical thinking, and mood. However, this is not a subject for those who are unwilling to do research or who have no patience.

Alternative science: I like exploring ideas and theories that are not normally encountered in the day to day academic world. I like reading on theories that certain people have devoted their lives and careers on that could possibly lead to new innovations or observations on nature. It is a hobby considering that I am trained in traditional science and will be working in traditional science. But I think it is smart to keep your eyes on other concepts that may one day prove useful in your field or even just for pure adventure.

My artwork: Like Ravenhael said. I am a amateur artist. I have done three public art shows. I am no professional but I have fun and enjoy the ability to manipulate visual and audio sensations. If you want a sample of my work, you can go to the links in my signature.

Edited by Discipline (02/06/08 02:55 PM)
Edit Reason: Addition

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#304536 - 02/06/08 02:50 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: DickSteele]
AztecRed Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
My obsession is music technology. Everything from pipe organs and carillons up to the newest synthesizers. I probably know more about how musical instruments work than any normal person should.

I especially love old electro-mechanical equipment like tone-wheel organs, theater organs, rotary speakers, tape machines, spring reverbs, Rhodes pianos, Wurlitzer piano, clavinets. One of these days I may try my hand at building something from scratch.

That's probably the only thing I can claim any real competence at. Everything else i'm just a dabbler in.

#304544 - 02/06/08 03:31 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
I enjoy so much that it is at some points hard to choose what to get into, needless to say I will never be bored with anything.

1. Design - I've spent several years walking the walk, designing things from CD liners, shirts, band logos, promo ads, doing photo retouching and tons of other work, honing my skills to where they are now, on my own. Eventually I will need to get a degree in order to work in marketing at my current job, but I think it will be a breeze.

2. Music - Everything from creating to just listening, I love it all. My greatest fascinations right now are electronic orchestrated music much like Goblin, Angelo Badalamenti, Zombi, Wendy Carlos, Le' Rue Delashay, as well as classical. I would like in the future to collect vintage synthesizers like old Moogs and various effects so that I can further one of my projects, which I am looking at doing a soundtrack for a movie with. Again, I have trained myself musically, I do understand a bit of music theory and general songwriting structuring.

3. Cooking - Being a bigger guy, I love to cook, and to cook well. While I don't cook for others often, I mostly like cooking for myself when I have time when I'm not doing either of the two above. While I somewhat consider my skills higher than average, I do get better everyday.

4. David Lynch - Quite possibly my favorite director right now, Lynch carries this brooding emotion through his films that captures me and places me in the movie. Lynch is a director that isn't for most people, and that's why I like him, he's a true artist with a different message than what mainstream Hollywood is pumping out year after year. I have most of his movies, and I've been collecting the music for his films that Angelo Badalamenti has mostly conducted.

5. General Art - I've always been around art all of my life, so I've naturally grown accustom to it and I can generally pick out what I like with somewhat of a educated view on it. I have always been a person who considers the artwork itself more important than the name of the author. I tend to favor Renaissance and Medieval art a lot, but even some modern styles like Art Deco and Art Nouveau greatly has my attention as well.

I could probably go on forever, but those are the highlights.

#304550 - 02/06/08 04:02 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Philotechnic]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
I have always been fascinated by human behavior. Even as a small child I would watch people and try to figure out what makes them tick, so to speak. Today I dedicate much of my spare time, outside of an academic setting, to studying psychological persuasion.

I’ve grown particularly interested in hypnosis and NLP, as Reverend_Harris mentioned, which I think is by far one of the most effective and important studies in lesser magic because it’s not really concerned with why things work, but rather it focuses on what is useful.

Good stuff indeed!

Edited by Astratus (02/06/08 04:02 PM)

#304561 - 02/06/08 04:45 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

I like this thread as this makes me think about something I was just doing today again : searching for another old clock and a compass for my collection. I have this true obsession since child, I never really knew why actually.

I never been someone very good with mathematics, but all that concerns precision and geometry absolutely obsesses me. Through centuries of occult sciences, symbolism plays a large role, and I can say I dig it to no end ( Alchemy, etc..)

Another obsession I have, is to cannot resist to write down the notes of everything I could hear around (besides writing music). That's maybe odd to say this, but I have always loved to reproduce everything in sound, as even a noise is a note...Well, that's a kind of "bizarre hobby".

Edited by Assabrah (02/06/08 04:46 PM)

#304568 - 02/06/08 05:12 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
TheAbysmal Offline

Magister Svengali,

Computer Science, an admittedly large umbrella, continues to be My single greatest obsession since My father brought a "throw away" computer home from his work place. What began as a fascination with programming the machine evolved into a lifelong pursuit of a vast array of enthusiastic "study". Computer Science emcompasses so many disciplines, I think I may never grow tired of it.

I particularly enjoy getting close to the machine level, programming in 80x86 Assembly, studying data structures, algorithms, file layouts, etc. (In fact, just yesterday I was glossing over the Red Book specification for Compact Disk Digital Audio.)

My passion invariably takes Me into other fields of interest: Web Authoring, OS Design, Database Theory—not for the faint-hearted—Set Theory, Logic, Finite State Machines… The list never seems to end. Sometimes, it literally sucks to have an interest in such an expansive field. I find it difficult to focus on any one aspect of it. It reminds Me of an expression I have heard, to paraphrase: "He who is focussed on everything is focussed on nothing." Good thing for Me I do not do it for a living. :)

Music is another of My great obsessions. I imagine it could sound a bit of a stretch to classify it as a "study", but I devote a considerable portion of My time to researching it lately. In particular, I have lately given much attention to finding audiophile-grade equipment—what of it I can reasonably afford—and researching methods of digital archival that preserve the music's fidelity. I basically want a high-fidelity, digital audio system… A musical equivalent to TiVo. I find CDs so cumbersome, but darn if there are only a handful music providers that offer music in high-resolution sample rates, and they carry little of the music I prefer.

Then of course, there is the slippery slope of the ethics and legality surrounding the removal or circumvention Digital Rights Management (DRM) to more freely, yet still legally use My music. This is the area from which the "study" aspect of music arises. Lets say I have an online music subscription account—I do and it is a lo-fi one :>—who uses DRM to prevent their music from being illegally distributed over file-sharing networks. I understand the concern therein, but why should I not be able to listen to this music on a device that I own and prefer, namely not My laptop? Now, there are legal; albeit, ethically questionable methods to circumvent the DRM, such as virtual sound cards that "play" the music and re-record it. (Some applications actually hack and decrypt the music, which is unmistakably illegal.) So, am I legally and ethically "in the clear" if I play back and record My subscribtion tracks and continue to pay My subscription fee and do not unlawfully distribute the music to others? How is that different than "ripping" a PCM from a CD and playing that on My portable media player? Because of these questions, music has quite literally become a subject of study for Me lately.

Refuse to die.

#304569 - 02/06/08 05:23 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
CatlikeJoe Offline

Loc: Dominican Republic
My interests include:

Cats. I love most types of animals that I know of. I've helped raise some pretty uncommon animals (most exotic being a couple of red tailed hawks), but my absolute favorites have been cats. I love everything about them, the way they move, look, eat, sleep and even shit. I can count at least three scratches on my hands right now.

Art, mostly paintings and movies. My avatar is a little parody I made of Andy Warhol's Campbell soup paintings. As for movies, I also throw in series with it. I like to watch them on DVD because my sound system is better tuned than the local theatres.

TECHNOLOGY! I don't know what I would do without my PDA. I generally ponder on what I should upgrade or buy in a year (I like to plan ahead). I know a wee bit of programming (Lua). I'm studying to be an industrial engineer. I swear I taking my scientific calculator the next time I go to a supermarket... I always forget it.

Do it yourself. I usually find myself fixing clothes, books or random other things. Reason being that I usually do a better job than "professionals", I even cut my own hair. If I ever mess up with something at least I didn't get ripped off for the crappy job.

#304577 - 02/06/08 06:33 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Quote:
ASIDE FROM SATANISM,

Although quite a few here touched upon it, after replying my main interests off the top of my head, they cannot be separated from a Satanic worldview.

A professional excellence is the legacy of one's name, a shoe obsession places an importance on one's aesthetic, a firearm obsession relates to self-preservation.

So a Satanists interests implicitly are Satanic, if not explicitly proclaimed.

Just wanted to explicitly say that.

#304594 - 02/06/08 08:14 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

Music

This is my biggest obsession and have done so much research on it. I don't play music professionally but I enjoy playing other people's music for other people.

I was always the "dj" type. I also have a thing of watching how DJs operate at house parties and nightclubs. I prefer watching the party DJs due to their handling of vinyl.

Record stores are heaven to me. I can spend countless of hours in a record store going from one section to another just picking up random albums. I can't shop for music online. I have to buy it at a record shop.

Sometimes I hear people say they listen to everything. Only few people I've met can live up to that claim. Of course when I claim to listen to everything, I fucking mean it. (Well, gospel is an exception.)

I'm not going to type down a list of all the genres, subgenres, bands and artists that I enjoy and research. However, nothing gives me a greater feeling than hearing someone coming in my cafe telling me "Wow. I love this place. Everytime I come here I hear something different." or "You have great taste in music.".

I listen to music everyday, all day. I never go anywhere without my cd player. I sometimes sleep with my stereo on. If I'm in a mood for a nightmare (I like having nightmares for some odd reason), I'll put on the most scariest black metal record I can find in my collection, or 'Coil', and doze off. ;\)

Vampires

Aside from real Vampirism, I always had an obsession with the fictional vampire. I love collecting vampire novels especially from the 17th and 18th century as well as horror films involving vampires.

Last year I bought Vampires - Encounters with the Undead edited by David J. Skal.

It's in fact the largest anthology of vampires ever published. It's 600 pages long and features two centuries of literature, illustration, lore and history. Everyone with an obsession with vampires should have this.

#304598 - 02/06/08 08:33 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Callier]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
That book looks good! I've read Skal's Monster Show and Screams of Reason and loved them. Highly recommended.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#304605 - 02/06/08 08:57 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Zaftig]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Originally Posted By: lexiphanic
 Quote:
ASIDE FROM SATANISM,

Although quite a few here touched upon it, after replying my main interests off the top of my head, they cannot be separated from a Satanic worldview.

A professional excellence is the legacy of one's name, a shoe obsession places an importance on one's aesthetic, a firearm obsession relates to self-preservation.

So a Satanists interests implicitly are Satanic, if not explicitly proclaimed.

Just wanted to explicitly say that.

I made that qualification to pre-empt the usual scenario of people falling all over each other to show how "Satanic" they are.

Trust me, I don't separate Satanism from an obsessive interest in anything. Read the first essay in my book. ;\)
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini

#304614 - 02/06/08 09:17 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: DickSteele]
Faded Offline

Depraved sex acts - Like most people I have met I am obsessed with my own carnal nature. Bondage, S&M and well you get the idea.

Demonology - Weather they exsist or not is irrelevent to me, rather i am interested in where all the ideas came from and perhaps one day i will seek the real answers.

Psychology - The human psyche has always been interesting to me.

Music - I know more about music than any of my friends and I would consider it a hobby.

The occult - Actually how I found this site and became interested was looking to learn about satanism both Atheistic and Theistic.

Religion - As I have said I find it interesting just what human beings are willing to blindly believe. I think the world needs more sceptic people.

I almost forgot

Martial arts - I feel it is a wonderful feeling not feeling helpless in most situations.

Gothic culture - Actuallty this one gives me some hang ups with people that are less than intelligent. Some of the sub catigories such as "Emos" or "Goth in a box" I more tend to lean towards the "Romantic" aspects of the life style.

Street gangs - Unfortunatly I know first hand just how bad it can be on the streets. As brutal as it is and so full of hypocrassy I have noticed the rise in violence and drug use in relation. How sad.

Edited by Faded (02/06/08 09:25 PM)

#304620 - 02/06/08 09:26 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
fire_vixen Offline

For me right now:
Psychology- all various approaches to it. I am fascinated with human behavior and cognition. Memory is an interest of mine too.
Reading- lots of the books from the CoS suggested reading
Music- classical especially
Chess
Poker
Philosophy
M-fields (Rupert Sheldrake)
Animal telepathy (from books of Sheldrake) It is amazing how animals know and sense things humans can't.
I love animals in general.

#304636 - 02/06/08 09:48 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: fire_vixen]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
Quite a few of us (myself included) listed psychology, but as of yet nobody has said sociology. I find that fascinating.

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#304637 - 02/06/08 09:51 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Note:

Originally Posted By: Svengali
I mean genuinely obsessed or engrossed in to the point that a significant segment of your life is devoted to it, professionally or not.

.... not vaguely interested, or looked up something online once.

I'm talking about things you actually have absorbed yourself in to a level of competent familiarity or some degree of expertise, not merely listing "stuff that sounds cool."

#304648 - 02/06/08 10:07 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
SilverHammer Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Connecticut
Journalism. After floundering a bit about what I wanted to do in school, I gradually fell into it and discovered I have some kind of knack for it, and made it my major.

I'm not sure how much I'm "studying" it in the strictest sense, although I'm reading a bit about its history, and working as managing editor of my college paper. I devote a good 10 hours each weekend to it instead of doing what most college students do on weekends (drink, sleep all day, etc.), studying AP style, learning how to design newspaper layouts, editing articles, and coaching staff writers. Journalism, even more than law, is an often-denigrated profession, so I haven't pondered too much about what relationship there may be between it and Satanism; all I know is that I like it, and I'm getting better at it.

Beyond that, almost all of my non-fiction reading is history, especially ancient Greek, Roman, medieval and Middle Eastern history (lately the Ottoman empire to be specific). I can stay up until 4 AM reading a good history book far more readily than even my favorite fiction.

I can see myself getting obsessed with more recent historical areas, especially American history and the two World Wars...I just haven't gotten there yet.

I also still occasionally find myself getting engrossed in studying automobiles, although that happens less and less these days.

www.myspace.com/savagegod

#304649 - 02/06/08 10:08 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Colonel Kurtz Offline
CoS Member

Military Professional Development! Anything that concerns training and developing soldier's. First line leadership.

Thai Boxing. It has givin me more than I can give back. Not a passive addiction.

My wife and children! No need to elaborate. It's just an obsession.

#304659 - 02/06/08 10:48 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Citizen Jonesy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Palm Springs, California, USA
I'm currently studying the next generation of spaceflight.

Specifically, I'm trying to read up on the Orion spacecraft project.
Webmaster
The 8FoldPath Network-Just updated

#304678 - 02/07/08 01:28 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Bruja]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> 3. Fashion (this encapsulates hair and cosmetics as well as clothing). I'm not talking about your cheap, trendy, or herdish fashions that you see walking down the street... rather extreme couture that pushes the limits of what is generally seen as beautiful.<<

Yes. We've discussed it. But really we are talking about aesthetics and style here, rather than "fashion"

I refer to those fashions as "council estate wear"

Those rough fuckers who all wear clothes that have on occasions cost a pretty penny and still look shit. And don't get me started on their fucking hairstyles!

Even throwing on a suit does not cut the mustard for me. We are talking here about creativity.

Few people have the style to infuse what they wear with their own individual personality. So they need fashion. An identity straight off the hook.

But as Dolly Parton pointed out - "Hey, it costs a lot of money to look this cheap."

#304682 - 02/07/08 02:55 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Citizen Jonesy]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
 Quote:
I'm currently studying the next generation of spaceflight.

Specifically, I'm trying to read up on the Orion spacecraft project.

Any impressions of it so far?

Personally, I'm all for it. The Shuttle has some wonderful capabilities that I'll be sad to see go, but... it's time. We should go somewhere again.

I do have a few quarrels with the Ares I / Ares V booster architecture, but they're pretty minor in the big picture. I still support Project Constellation.

Also... any opinion on the moon vs. the asteroids as a first target for it?

-Chess

#304688 - 02/07/08 06:24 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Muse Offline

CoS Member

Loc: In Your Dreams
Note:

I'm talking about things you actually have absorbed yourself in to a level of competent familiarity or some degree of expertise, not merely listing "stuff that sounds cool."

Theatre. A level of expertise, as I have been studying it and had a passion for it since I was very young. Acting is my forte, with directing a stong second. Also, set design, costuming, make-up, voice and choreography. Along with those performance aspects, script analysis. I have worked both professionally and in regional theatre. I have worked in film and live theatre...the latter being my preference. Absolutley my obsession.
(Currently on hiatus while I attend to grad school, but I have every intention of bringing the show back when the time is right!)

The holy trinity: Me, Myself, and I.

"Does anyone ever realize life while they are living it? Every, every minute?"
- Emily, Our Town, by Thornton Wilder

"Life's like a ballgame. You gotta take a swing at whatever comes along before you wake up and find it's the ninth inning." ~Vera (Ann Savage) in Detour

#304693 - 02/07/08 07:18 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
 Quote:
We are talking here about creativity.

Few people have the style to infuse what they wear with their own individual personality. So they need fashion.... An identity straight off the hook.

Yes, that's worth noting. "Fashion" marketed to the masses sells an identity, it doesn't promote individuality...hence, the oversatuation of teeny boppers and trendy adults alike scouring the mall for the new "hot celebrity look". . You and I have talked that to death. ;\)

That was certainly not what I was referring to.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#304698 - 02/07/08 08:00 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I mentioned it only to prove how Satanic I am. ;\)

Your book arrived at my brother's house, which he promptly held hostage until I pay the ransom (read: his Visa bill).

I'm looking forward to it!

#304730 - 02/07/08 12:41 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Marcato Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Northern New England
Automotive/Motorcycle aesthetics: I’ve parlayed my lifelong obsession with vehicle styling into several businesses. The subject consumes at least 60 hours of each week of my life.

Economics: I’ve engaged myself in a rigorous schedule, studying macroeconomics, microeconomics, positive economics, normative economics, etc. I’ve taken a particular interest in securities trading. For some time now, I’ve been paper trading with good results, and I intend to start playing with a little of my own dough when I’ve got my system ironed out. When I return home from work, I typically cook myself a meal, pour a glass of wine and spend the rest of my day buried in books about who’s got wealth, how did they get it, and how do I get it.

#304851 - 02/07/08 10:47 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
 Quote:
I'm not talking about your cheap, trendy, or herdish fashions that you see walking down the street... rather extreme couture that pushes the limits of what is generally seen as beautiful.

This is a worthwhile endeavor, I applaud your efforts. I myself would not have any idea where to begin with "extreme couture", but it is good to know that clothing as adornment has not totally fallen to the dogs.

#304854 - 02/07/08 11:13 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Noordenzuid Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Recently, I have been quite attentive and engrossed in Economics, behaviour of the banks and big business activity on the stockmarket.

I am doing a Bachelor of Business, majoring in Economics and Marketing. Soon I will be picking up Business Law.

I don't know if it's through studying the above which has given me this appetite for topics I mentioned earlier but I find myself reading financial reviews, observing large company credentials, subsrcibed to a couple of mailing lists and taking some online tutorials on e-trade.

All this in my spare time! (Which is limited I might add.)

Study. Learn. Succeed ;\)

HS!

-Albert Camus

"To passion, to paradise, to pain, to night."

#304872 - 02/08/08 01:02 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
tekku Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Behind You
I have many interests and touch on alot of subjects as I love books and learning, however the following pretty much encompass what I am obsessed with and has taken up my exsistance from as far back as I can remember.

-Culinary Arts & Gastronomy -

I am completely obsessed about the relationship between culture and food and everything else that encompasses the study of Gastronomy, including environmental sustainability (agricultural science) & produce.

- Electronic Music Production -

Stemming from my past "professional hobby" of dj-ing, I fell into production out of curiosity after first laying my eyes on a Moog & Tb303 Synth and being shown a few things and I was hooked.

-Arthouse/Avant Garde/Foreign Art Films-

Love Independant films that fall under above mentioned category and sub categories as such.
Distinct cinematography that touches on topics of many diverse nature's. Director's which I love are Jeunet & Caro, Sergei Eisenstein, Fritz Lang, Peter Greenaway, Luis Bunuel & Stanley Kubrik

La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur ~Escoffier~

Church of Satan

#304878 - 02/08/08 01:44 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Taxationland
You'll never nail this custard to a wall my friend!

My greatest obsession is Life! I have so many things to learn and study, can't seem to make room for it all. I love what this Satanic life has provided, and I will keep looking for more. Yeah I'm a brat!!! So what? ;\)
"To be born into this world a sentient, self-conscious and reasoning being, surrounded by inexhaustible glories in Nature, which we may comprehend, possess,enjoy; to be able to rise on the wings of a lofty imagination; to be able to get glimpses of the ideally perfect; to apprehend the Divine; it is to the development and enjoyment of these high powers that the young man is invited. How dare he refuse to qualify himself by the most perfect training of all his powers." Lyman J. Gage 1910

"Follow Me!", John M. (Delta).

"I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think." Something Magistra Isabel posted. laugh

#305033 - 02/08/08 07:19 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Business/Marketing.

Books.

Edited by Unknown (04/09/09 12:46 PM)

#305120 - 02/09/08 01:54 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Xaira Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Psychology, Sociology, and Philosophy.
Everything in my life I see through these lenses. I have been looking at how people tick since I was very small.

Cooking
My uncle was a gourmet chef, and since he died, I've been cooking nonstop. (Incidentally, I have been eating it too. Doesn't help the ole' belly to be a good cook.)

Literature
Reading and writing. I'm always working on a story or poem, and there's always a book open on my side table. I also read while I cook.)

Music
I play bass and sing. I love to play and listen, especially to metal and classical music. I can also run most professional soundboards.

Film
Watch em and make em. All the time. I can almost recite every line from The Cabinet of Doctor Calgari and Metropolis.

That's all of em, I think!!

devilchili

"You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance." - Ray Bradbury

#305125 - 02/09/08 01:59 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
So, ASIDE FROM SATANISM, what subjects are you most obsessed with studying?

1. Mathematics
My brother said, "You're the only person I know who reads mathematics books in your spare time." Math is a passion of mine, and often I find myself lost in working out some kind of math proof through the very late hours of the night. My response to the old "desert island" question (what few things would you want to have) is usually "pens and paper", as I could keep myself occupied indefinitely with that and the math ideas that come into my head.

I hold a Bachelor's degree in Mathematical Science and a Master's degree in Applied Mathematics. My education was mostly in mathematical modeling of engineering and physical systems with differential equations, plus numerical analysis. In layman's terms, the first means designing and applying equations to different sorts of changing systems that have many parameters (population growth in biology, stress and manufacturing details of metals, the weather, etc.) and finding results that optimize situations (how should be build this device so that it does the job at the minimal cost, etc.). Numerical analysis deals with developing and/or using calculation methods so computers can solve complicated things accurately and in a short time.

This is different though from the kind of math I LIKE the most. I like to read about mathematical history, and especially the mathematics of the ancient Greeks (thanks again, Magister, for that Pythagoras book!). I like linear algebra, as it has a fascinating amount of applications. Chaos theory and fractals are fun too. I also love things like the Golden Ratio, and confirming or debunking certain claims associated with it, sometimes finding new stuff too. Number theory is also something I've been researching on my own. I'm usually busy with problems that come down to "sacred geometry" and other applications in music theory. And for what it's worth, I think there's definitely some things to be said about LaVey's remarks on the number 9 and also his "Law of the Trapezoid".

2. Music
This covers a lot of different categories: listening to music, collecting rarities or complete catalogs from certain bands, pop music history (and not just what Rolling Stone warps it to be), going to concerts, and also all the things that go with being a musician myself (learning more about the instruments I play, playing with other musicians, studying music theory -- which relates to my mathematical mind, analyzing the works of other musicians, study of the human voice). I live getting into the details of how certain bands or entire genres have changed over the years and why. I've noticed that most people who claim to be "diverse" music fans are still incredibly clueless to the amount of stuff that's out there.

I've also notitced a difference in what I like to listen to versus what I like to play. For example, I LOVE playing jazz even though I don't listen to much of it. I see it as a mathematical challenge of sorts (how do I get from this chord to this other chord, using this scale, and how much tension do I want, etc.). And again I love music theory, which most rock musicians cringe at. On the professional level: I've played countless shows with different bands and have gotten money in some cases, but I decided a long time ago that I don't want to be a full-time performer. I have had a few friends ask me, completely independent of each other, if I ever considered writing a music-related book. I may just do that.

3. Comedy
I know everybody likes comedy in some form or another, but I actually collect comedy recordings, and avidly follow the works of certain comedians. Most of what I focus on is stand-up comedy, but to a lesser extent I also look at sketch comedy in the form of both stage and audio recordings. These all have different demands though. My love for comedy and collecting certain cuts has not only in part led me to hosting my own comedy show (see signature link), but doing that show in turn has led me to exploring comedy more deeply.

I can't say I do this on a "professional" level since I don't make a dime from my radio show (in fact, it's something I put money INTO), but it's a labor of love I do every week. I've learned so much in the 5 years I've been doing the show. Like music, I think comedy has certian performers who set trends and have some intriguing and evolving history, even though most of what gets played to the public is garbage. Even comedy, I've found, can relate back to mathematics. But that's a whole other subject.

Quote:
This is not an invitation to puff-up, posture, and brag...

Well ya get me talking about one of these things, and it's hard for me to shut up.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#305135 - 02/09/08 02:40 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Bill_M]
ConquerOrPerish Offline

Loc: DC Metro Area
-Economics, laissez-faire, free market principles. I may turn this into a career but I don't know if I have the PASSION.

-Politics, especially Conservative/Libertarian thought

-Braaaaaaaaaaasil!!- I speak enough Portuguese to get around. Futebol, Copa du Mundo, Capoeira, Candomble/Voodoo, Samba, Forro (dance), Feijoada (bean dish), Carnaval, Jiu-Jitsu Brasileiro, apelidos (nicknames, I was given one), Cidade de Deus (City of God), Rap Brasileiro (even wrote a Brazilian rap), Sepultura (Brazilian heavy metal band), different regions, the landscape, the politics, the culture, the problems even! I love the problems!! and I haven't even been there yet!

-Religions- "cocktail party knowledge" of every religion from Asatru to Zoroastrianism, Psychology of belief, Brain science of God(s)

-Psychology, Psychiatric disorders, Psychological warfare, Passive-aggressive tactics

-Languages: Spanish, French, Portuguese, brushing up on these

-Beauty, seduction, game

"Making a difference makes sense only if you are convinced that you have mastered the subject at hand to the point where any difference you might make would be for the better." -Thomas Sowell

#305144 - 02/09/08 04:47 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Chess]
Citizen Jonesy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Palm Springs, California, USA
They really should go with both Orion and Constellation for they both have their merits, but you know beurocracies....

The moon. One step at a time....
Webmaster
The 8FoldPath Network-Just updated

#305168 - 02/09/08 07:55 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: ConquerOrPerish]
I'mPerfecting Offline

I'm so young, yet I have already lived so many lifetimes !

I'm obsessively observant- . It leads me to constant questioning . Hence the love of science . As I need it to prove true or false . It helps ground me so that I make sence, and yet have room to dream .

I have a highly tuned and greatly studied Empathic nature ( both receptive and projective ) . I find all to often I think something . Then suddenly scientists are writing about it . I be arrogant to ignore those who's writing Inspire my thoughts further . Many to fruition .

I love contradictions , most hate me for it . I am of two minds on everything . To see both sides , allowing me to act as my own "devils advocate". I take so much in to account few names and dates stick . Though this has never stopped me( I just don't sound as well read hear ) .

I have a great respect for Alchemy . The predecessor to my favorite math/science Chemistry . I love the premise behind it . The mapping of the particulars that form matter . ( alas just a hobby for now. )

I am a writer - for no other object in this world has built as many worlds as the word . No other save those Tomes has held so many universes . To bring lifes' tangibility to thought . Seeing as my life is a series of verbal equation, long lists of experience, boiled down to a common catch phrases, or quips . Often more for the reader than myself .

I love to make stuff up and draw lines of similarity noone else has thought of let-alone seen . I find this form of creativity comes at a controversial price . I'd reference some of my favorite memes here but there indepth analysis is my *big read shiny candy like button* .

I have what like to considere an articulate command of the american language . I love messing with words,... like demoralizing - to make a point with - Demon-izing ( in reference to those myths of other cultures ) . I also find in order to use it I spend more time reading the Dictionary than the Tsb here .

I love the works of Neil Gaiman, and William Blake . I have a collection of cartoon characters, stuffed animals, unicorn, and mirrors .

Edited by Shandra Rose (02/09/08 08:09 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

#305183 - 02/09/08 09:09 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA

I'm glad you reiterated this. I've been enjoying some of the responses, but some of the others just read like hobby lists. How can one be "genuinely obsessed or engrossed" in 12 different things? There aren't enough hours in the week!

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#305202 - 02/09/08 10:21 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Bill_M]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Yeah, I said that because a few replies fell into the "_____ sounds cool but I haven't lifted a finger to look into it, so in the meantime I'll pretend I already am 'into' it" category.

#305208 - 02/09/08 10:42 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

I think to some degree Satanists are extremists regarding interests---life is too precious to waste on mere "hobbies," our interests almost always seem like obsessions.

Y~

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#305213 - 02/09/08 10:53 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Bill_M]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Another point is that Satanism is a street religion. Polishing up on satanic-speak, without putting it to practical use is like waxing your car every week without knowing how to drive. I may be wrong, but my initial thought was that that is what Magister Svengali wanted to explore; what roads we drive on.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#305250 - 02/09/08 01:03 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Bill_M]
phoenixrisen Offline

Loc: Manchester, England

Bearing this in mind...

#1) Singing
My mother is a part-time professional singer (in pubs, social clubs and such) who was in a band before she married. She introduced me to singing at a very young age. In my early teens, I occasionally did guest spots at her gigs, singing mainly rock ballads. The only thing I hadn't tried was classical and opera. When I was 18 I started taking lessons from a classically trained teacher and quickly realised that this was the career that I wished to pursue.

#2) Piano
I started playing by ear when I was 4 and began taking lessons soon after that. I quit when I was 14 in an act of 'teenage rebellion' but picked it up again four years later with surprisingly little detriment. I'm currently practicing for my Grade 6 examination.

#3) Music Theory
I recently passed my Grade 5 exam with distinction. This opens up a lot of doors as some higher level music examinations can't be taken until the candidate has passed Grade 5 theory.

#4) Music Composition
Learning to compose is a small part of studying music theory. I always shied away from doing it until I started a band a year ago. I write the vocal lines and lyrics for the band as well as bits of piano/synth lines now and again.

I find that all of the above help each other out. Singing is my priority but the piano is definitely the backbone of my musical life. I can't estimate how much it helps with my general musicality.

#5) Christianity & Christian Theology
I am majoring in Religions in Theology with a bias towards modules concerned with Christianity (and, inevitably, a bit of Judaism).

#6) Languages
I have been learning French since infant school (but that's not a very accurate measure of my skill; I should really be better than I am). I no longer take lessons but keep it up through conversations and reading. I have been independently studying Finnish for a couple of years but, due to the lack of opportunities to use it, I would say that my interest in Finnish is purely on an abstract rather than practical level: I'm interested in its grammar and structure more than anything else.

There are many, many other interests that I could list but the above are the ones that take up a good portion of my time at this point in my life.

She's not little, no minion like me--
That's why she ensnared him.

- The Laboratory by Robert Browning

#305264 - 02/09/08 02:37 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Zezb Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Atlantic Ocean
I am genuinely obsessed with, and engrossed in, computer technology. I’ve spent nearly every day of the last 30 years programming, designing, architecting, networking, assembling, or otherwise contemplating the many facets and application of this particular technology. For the last 10 years, my specific area of focus has been on designing large-scale (in terms of transaction volume) computer systems leveraging the same technology that underpins the Internet. Within this realm, I’ve carved out a niche of expertise around architecting the computer systems that enables the travel industry.

I have many interests, but what I share above is my obsession. While this may brand me as a one-note wonder, I sing this note in pure form and I gladly pimp myself out accordingly.

#305392 - 02/10/08 08:37 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
devilsex Offline
CoS Member

This post has been very informative and thought-provoking.

My principal obsessions are:

Artificial Intelligence - I've dreamed of creating artificially intelligent machines after seeing movies like "Cherry 2000" and "Blade Runner" and reading science fiction as a kid. Now that I am in my senior year completing a B.S. in Computer Engineering, I am actually beginning to design and implement reasoning systems. I am amazed by the fact that a machine, that can ultimately be reduced to a mathematical representation ( aka TM ), can exhibit intelligence, or the appearance of at least.

Physics and Math - These subjects are an indulgence to me in that I derive pleasure from their study. When I manipulate mathematical constructs it gives me the feeling that I am manipulating nature itself and that I have complete control over some fundamental thing that I understand completely. The more I study physics, and learn about nature, the more power I can command.

Language - I have studied Latin, Greek, Italian, and French at the university and am currently studying Spanish. I have a very basic level of competence in them since I have so many other subjects to study but I am practicing to become fluent in Spanish and may, at some point in time, become fluent in other languages. I like to compare/contrast them and I think that Spanish and Italian are acoustically beautiful. It is my opinion that language is the connective glue that can integrate art and science, just as math is the language of expression for the technologies. Language is critically important to my life.

Self defense - I lift weights regularly and have a plan for my health. I train myself to be able to respond appropriately when attacked. I protect my home, finances, and personal information from attack. I am invigorated by confrontation but have also learned to choose my fights wisely.

Hiking/Camping - I began hiking as a teenager and fell in love with it. I especially like hiking in the Rocky Mountain/Four Corners area. I like the peace and quiet, the physical exertion, animals and landscape, and cooking by campfire.

Cooking - I have no formal training in cooking but have cooked professionaly, by learning on the job and with cookbooks. Spanish and Italian foods are my favorite. I especially like very spicy food and raw vegetables.

TEMPLE of the VAMPIRE

#305393 - 02/10/08 08:41 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Zezb]
Muse Offline

CoS Member

Loc: In Your Dreams
One note?? Sounds like an entire aria to me! Don't underestimate yourself dear.

HS!
(Currently on hiatus while I attend to grad school, but I have every intention of bringing the show back when the time is right!)

The holy trinity: Me, Myself, and I.

"Does anyone ever realize life while they are living it? Every, every minute?"
- Emily, Our Town, by Thornton Wilder

"Life's like a ballgame. You gotta take a swing at whatever comes along before you wake up and find it's the ninth inning." ~Vera (Ann Savage) in Detour

#305533 - 02/10/08 07:12 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Direktor Offline
CoS Member

My primary interests are:

(1)Animal Rights, mixing a lot of philosophy (for this I'm very into Darwinian ideas but I tend to move beyond them wherever it takes me) and anthropology (currently studying species like the Genus Homo, Australopithicine,Homo Erectus, etc.) in the effort to combat the ridiculous issue that man is not some 'highly evolved entity of light', but another flesh and blood animal, so yes I guess you could say I'm very obsessed with the study of the 7th Satanic Statement. I'm also an active member in many animal rights organizations but before anyone thinks too hard about it; yes, I'm a meat-eating member of Peta!

(2)Branching off from the above, I'm also incredibly interested and devoted to the use of Lex Talionis in regards to animal abuse/murder, as well as typical circumstances. I truly believe society needs something like a Code of Hammurabi, there's too much human vermin getting away with vicious, not to mention irresponsible, actions.

(3)FILM! I've been making films, ON FILM, for about 9 years now and I'm absolutely dedicated in keeping it that way. I enjoy experimenting with primitive methods used by Melies, and lighting techniques used in a lot of Noir and Horror pieces, and I actually incorporate ritual in many of the short films I do...
And also branching off this fascination with film, would probably come my interest in collecting. I have about 80-90 films on 16mm prints, ranging from Chaplin to Night of the Living Dead, and I like to collect rare VHS (usually old rentals) wherever I can find them, and I think I have about 300 - 350.

(4)Finally I would say another interest of mine is serial murder, and with the several books, etc. I have on the topic, my correspondence with one actually led into a good friendship that remains today. I also wrote a rather in-depth essay/analysis on Panzram a year or so ago that I was thinking of posting on here to share. If I had a 'favorite', he would be it.

I have other interests as well, but that's typically the ones I'm most passionate about.

Edited by HCalvero (02/10/08 07:38 PM)

"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior."
-Hippolyte Taine

#305553 - 02/10/08 09:19 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
HammerOfDoubt Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
Fiction:
Reading and writing it. I can tell you, within reason, how most movies and novels will flow and end just by going through the first fourth of them, and I love ruining endings for people I hate. I have made myself very familiar with the mechanics and dynamics of creativity and storytelling. I love symbolism and mythology and recurring themes throughout humanity's greatest tales. I've been working on my own novel for longer than I care to admit. I feel like I've tapped into something and am telling a story that hasn't been told this explicitly before. I would list History as a separate item here, but for me History and Fiction are both part of my mental category of "Story" with History being the craziest and most chaotic story there is.

Human Brains:
How they work, how they came to be, how to use them and how to use my own. How reason and instinct work together and apart. Their general use and misuse. How to twist them.

I have all sorts of other little sub-interests but they all sort of stem from these two obsessions.

#305755 - 02/11/08 05:11 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
andy3004 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
For me it goes as such:

- IT-business and software architecture
(It's what I'm doing for a living and I do my best to be good at it)

- Languages
(Languages fascinate me. So far I managed to become fluent in 2 foreign languages, and got a more or less good understanding in 2 other ones. Mandarin Chinese is the next on my list to get fluent with.)

- Good dining / cooking foods myself
(A good dinner at a restaurant is always a pleasure to all senses. Of course the olfactory and tasty senses rule supreme in that particular field, but the overall atmosphere in a particular place, still has a great impact on how perfect a dinner or a business lunch turns out. Preparing food myself is also a pleasure, provided I got enough time to roam the markets for fresh ingredients)

- Photography
(I'm still an amateur when it comes to photography. But I do my best to improve. Catching the fleeting moment is difficult indeed - but then again, it is also a challenge.)

- Eastern Asian culture / art
(Somehow I find myself utterly fascinated in some aspects of the culture and arts of Korea, China and especially Japan.)

...to iu koto desu,

-andy

#305982 - 02/12/08 10:33 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
fraggadaboom Offline

Loc: Florida, US
BOOKS.
My passion, my love. My ever enduring, greater form of escapism! Yet it has grown to encompass the written word in all its forms.
Language, the way people communicate. All of these things.
Truths, as well. At least as far as those found in books. It's everywhere, did you see it? Every book that I have read holds some amount of truth. Or you could say that it's all true. As Hans Christian Andersen had written, “This fable is intended for you.”

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12116 Members
73 Forums
43872 Topics
405548 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements