Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#304377 - 02/05/08 11:06 PM Obsessions & Studies
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
So, ASIDE FROM SATANISM, what subjects are you most obsessed with studying?

History, philosophy, science, the arts, technology, etc?

What specific aspects of these general subjects?

I mean genuinely obsessed or engrossed in to the point that a significant segment of your life is devoted to it, professionally or not.

Or are you a one note wonder?

This is not an invitation to puff-up, posture, and brag... just to indicate other areas of interest that you have some ACTUAL knowledge of or familiarity with.

Discuss.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#304380 - 02/05/08 11:27 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Specific areas I have considerable knowledge of, interest in, etc:

Languages (far from professional but far above average)
Biology - especially herpetology and the study of man as an animal
Typefaces (seriously, I've devoted a lot of time to reading about handwriting and printed type)
Geography; for some reason I find it relaxing to read about where on earth has the hottest summers, or which sea has the highest saline content
Robert E. Howard - his entire body of work and his life
Firearms - I enjoy just about anything related to firearms. Again, FAR from professional level knowledge, since there are experts out there who would consider my knowledge insignificant, but I at least know enough to get by in conversation with most of them.

#304386 - 02/06/08 12:11 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

In no particular order:

1. Iguanas. Hardly professional knowledge, but I lived with one for 9.5 years and read loads of material on iguana care and biology and nutrition, etc.

2. Comics. I've been reading comics since I was a kid, mostly stuff like Bloom County at that time, and of course I have been doing my webcomic for a year and a half now. I must admit I usually feel like I'm trying to desperately catch up with both past masters and present exciting new artists. Compared to some of the guys I know, I know practically nothing, but I'm working on that. It's not uncommon for me to go to the downtown library and get out six graphic novels and go through them in a couple of days, and I'm starting to haunt the used comic shops too. Specifically I'm interested in underground or alternative comics, and local and other Canadian artists like Colin Upton, Julian Lawrence, and Robin Bougie. I even listen to a local radio show called Inkstuds, dealing with contemporary comics as well as history of comics, of which Colin is the co-host.

3. Photography. I wouldn't call this professional knowledge either, though I'm getting close to that. I love going through anthologies and analyzing the images, I love just going for a walk and taking pictures of neat stuff, I love my classes working with models and refining my knowledge of lighting, I love setting up still life work at home, and I love darkroom work when I can find the time.

4. Painting. I've been painting since I was a kid. It comes and goes in spurts - for a while I'll paint almost obsessively, then not at all. Here I'm more interested in doing than studying per se, but I do also enjoy learning about art history and theory to a lesser extent.

5. Web design/new media. I like XHTML and CSS, and I'm looking forward to learning more about Flash and other aspects I'll be learning over the next year.

6. Graphic and typographic design, both theory and history. It does tie into my web design work to a certain extent. I give myself weird design or type-based self-assignments just for fun. Like how could you make a relatively innocuous font like Helvetica evoke some weird or sinister idea and really support and enhance that idea using the font alone. Since taking a typography class and than a book design class that dealt with typography in depth, it's become something that I pay a great deal of attention to.

#304388 - 02/06/08 12:18 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Maqlu]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
1. Paranormal things, specifically dreams, OBE's, etc.

I spend way more time then I think researching this stuff. I have been a fairly "lucid" dreamer for the better years of my life, and have had instances of OBE's and have been ever reaching for the goal of astral projection. This is something I rarely mention, as it is all a very personal thing for me, and something I have been interested in since I was a child.

On the side of this, I also study alien activity, ghosts and other such things. Not much to talk about here, but again, spent a LOT of time infront of books, or the computer looking into this stuff. Just a nice little hobby.

2. Fiction. Fantasy, sci-fi.

I love it. A lot of it. Most of it. Anything I can get my hands on, since I was young. This corresponds with my love for writing, which I do on a fairly regular basis. I am, and will be, writing this kind of material. It is something of an obsession of mine, I suppose, since I spend much of my time thinking of new stories, or reading or watching that which has already been created by others.

#304393 - 02/06/08 12:45 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
Calculus - I am obsessed with gaining a better understanding of mathematics.

Photography - film, digital, developing and printing black and white images, etc.

Motorcycles - I can eat, breathe, drink, sleep motorcycles if given the opportunity.

Firearms - I haven't memorized every model from every manufacturer but I know what I like and enjoy reading about them as well as using and cleaning them and buying ammunition

Wine making - micro-scale, 5 gallon batches.

Gardening - My front yard is full of native plants instead of a lawn and I love making sure they're healthy and happy.

These things allow me to do as well as learn in ways that I find enjoyable. I do occasionally pick up fleeting pursuits but the ones I have listed are the mainstays.

#304395 - 02/06/08 12:53 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
metallurgy & jewelry/wearable sculpture (professional)

art history, my favorite artists include:
- Edward Weston (American photographer)
- Franz Marc (German Expressionist painter)
- Picasso (Spanish painter, co-founder of Cubism)
- Matisse (French Fauvist and later Expressionist painter)
- Louise Bourgeois (French sculptor)
and just about anything from The Bauhaus
... not sure how to classify my knowledge/experience on this one

photography & graphic design (formerly professional, now very part time professional)

dance: ballet & various modern forms (semi-professional)

psychology, cognitive science, cultural anthropology (hobby)

zoology, more specifically reptiles, amphibians, and predatory mammals (hobby)
Im the proud owner of a blue tounge skink & participate in a herp rescue group

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#304404 - 02/06/08 02:46 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
For me, the big one would be space flight.

I could tell you off the top of my head the name of every man who walked on the moon. On which mission, filling which role in the crew. And where they landed and why, and the geology they found there (the broad strokes of it, at least), and any stories about notable or funny stuff that happened to them. And also what each of them had for breakfast on the day of the launch.

I've studied the history of the development of the space shuttle, and exactly how we ended up with the compromise vehicle that we did. I could talk your ear off about how the shuttles are wonderful, beautiful ships; but also why they're essentially a failed experiment and should have been retired twenty years ago. (And also how the Soviet shuttle was arguably a superior design.)

I'm not sure what makes the subject so fascinating to me. Maybe it's the grandeur, the romance, the unshakable sense that this is humanity's Next Big Thing. Or maybe it was just my gloriously misspent youth as a sci-fi nerd.

-Chess

#304408 - 02/06/08 03:16 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Valek Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Non-local
Lately, my biggest passion has been scripting and programming languages. Recently I've been trying to learn PHP, and integrate that into my HTML usage. I've also been trying to utilize it for forum customization. The stage I'm at so far has allowed me to look at the link to this reply page and see that it's using $_GET, and also the variables and values of those variables used (they're in the address bar there. If you see a php link with a ? afterwards and whatever=suchandsuch, you're seeing usage of $_GET).

Other languages I know, am learning, or am intending to learn are Visual Basic, CSS, C++, PERL, Javascript, and maybe some others if there is interest along the way. As a companion to PHP, I am also learning MySQL, so I can use PHP alongside a database.

The biggest other thing I can think of would be bowling, as odd as that may sound. I've been doing it for 15 years, and have a great understanding of the mechanics of the sport (yes, there are actually mechanics to it that bring it beyond the 'luck' most people attribute to it). It's absolutely fascinating, particularly if you have an interest in, and/or understanding of Physics.

I could also mention my 13 year (and continuing) study of all things computers, but that'd just be redundant due to the first paragraph of this post, so I'll lay it down here.

#304412 - 02/06/08 03:27 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
American comics: I've always read them for fun and recreation, but a few years ago I started writing about them as well and found that there were many areas that I did not know enough about, so I've been reading up on the history of the genre, biographies of writers and artists and different themes used in the stories.

Mythology and occult history: sort of a side project to the above, since a lot of mythological or occult themes occur in the stories. This is also something I've read on and off throughout my whole life.

Music: I try to keep up with current events in a number of musical genres, mainly metal and related areas. I had a period where I spent a lot of time on the operas of Richard Wagner and reading about his life, it's something that I want to get back to this year (just ordered the Barenboim version of The Ring on DVD yesterday).

History: In my youth it was mostly ancient history, especially the roman empire. Lately it's more in the area of cyberhistory. Since I've started working with computers I found it interesting to see which ideas and sometimes coincidences have shaped the field I work in.

Computers, programming and systems development: In my younger days this was both work and hobby, these days it's mostly just work - which is still a quite significant part of my life, so I spend time keeping up with my field. I'm looking into SCRUM certification and trying to keep up with all the new Java/JEE and web services stuff that is coming out.

#304414 - 02/06/08 03:31 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: verszou]
Damaeon96 Offline
Banned

Loc: Kentucky
A short list:

Cooking
Writing
Unsolved mysteries
Computers
training and raising dogs of all size and breed

"Here's to hell. May the stay there be as fun as the way there!" - Groucho Marx

#304417 - 02/06/08 04:11 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
SueW Offline
CoS Member

Loc: TN,United States
I embroider (crewel and blackwork as well as crossstitch)
cooking and baking
serial killers
Vampires ( I prefer the concept of genetic ones as in a separate species which is different than the Vampire Goth lifestyle)
cake decorating
music ( I like following up music leads and links that are sent to me)
movies (same as above) -favorite movie "Wickerman" 1973
Vlad the Impaler
The Tudors

#304424 - 02/06/08 05:39 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
shadowraven213 Offline

1 Computers, my fifth birthday I was given a zx spectrum with rubber keys and immediately sat down and programmed the thing, then started to change the programs to do other things and that feelings never left me.

2 Military battles and their execution, tactics really fascinate me chess on a larger scale my father bought me a book on Alexander the great as a child and from there I learned of his victory's against Darius III using superior tactics against a much larger force and was hooked.

3 Women! yep I study these creatures with great gusto some might call it an obsession I like to think its merely intense appreciation \:\)

4 Food I love to cook and spend a significant amount of time trying out new ways of cooking and I have been told I take too long to eat, I maintain they eat too fast to enjoy it!

#304430 - 02/06/08 06:06 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
London Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The Inmost Dens
Sideshows - Anything and everything. I've actually acquired so many gaffs my bedroom looks like a ten-in-one. I went to the Human Bodies Exhibit today and it further reinforced my belief that I could make money just charging people to look at all of the crap I have lying around.

Firearms - Interested mostly in the self-defense / survival variety for personal ownership, but I also find the mechanics fascinating. I've actually bought guns just to take them apart and see how they work.

Survivalism - This is something I got into only about a year ago, but I find the whole subject essentially very Satanic, as long as one does not go too overboard or venture into the whole "Blue Helmet TEOTWAWKI" kind of mindset. Actually my web browser has a survivalism forum open right beside this one right now.

Guerilla Warfare - Another one I recently got interested in. People seem to be at their most creative when trying to kill eachother

Scams - People seem to be at their second most creative when trying to rip eachother off. Thousands of very clever, very unscrupulous methods out there. It's always good to fine-tune the old bullshit detector. Forewarned is forarmed!

That's it off the top of my head.

#304432 - 02/06/08 06:33 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: London]
Ghorth6 Offline

Loc: War-Celona, sPAIN
Music. Not professionally, but I've been playing in my own band for almost three years now and well, things are progressing slowly but sure now.

Cigars. Also not professionally, but I'm member of two Cigar smokers Clubs. I have around 600 sticks at home, some of them are over 15 years old, but still excellent to burn.

Languages. Not exclusively on a professional level, but having to deal daily with both Asia and the American continent somehow invites to learn languages. Spanish, Catalan, English and German are being spoken so far. Thus, I'm learning French and Norwegian, and have been studying Mandarin Chinese for two years.

Geography. Mostly due to my job as well. You may combine this one with travelling, also due to my job, but also as a hobby. So far, I've been in all european countries (no exception), Turkey, Japan, Singapore, China, Hong Kong, U.S.A., Equatorial Guinea, Cuba (cigars, of course) and Mexico. Thailand will follow shortly. Seattle already this Friday.

My daughter... my biggest obsession, study, pride, hobby and whatever you may call it!!!

H.S.

All I Hail, Hail me back!

#304433 - 02/06/08 06:44 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

I can't say that I am obsessed with any ONE subject really. I have an incredible thirst for knowledge in many avenues. Mainly I like to research psychology. I do like history which is a relatively new interest and now find myself watching a lot of history shows and reading a bit.
Psychology, sociology, any aspect of psychology I can get my hands on.
At one time in my life I moved around a lot and met many different people and studied them, my interactions with them. Now I am studying the -why?
Like I said, I don't just focus on one subject, I move all over the place. The internet makes it fast too, if I hear about something I can immediately look it up, or if I need to learn how to do something, just as I can test the authenticity of any information.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43982 Topics
406058 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements