Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#304435 - 02/06/08 06:57 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
 Quote:
Specific areas I have considerable knowledge of, interest in, etc:

Languages (far from professional but far above average)
Biology - especially herpetology and the study of man as an animal
Typefaces (seriously, I've devoted a lot of time to reading about handwriting and printed type)
Geography; for some reason I find it relaxing to read about where on earth has the hottest summers, or which sea has the highest saline content
Robert E. Howard - his entire body of work and his life
Firearms - I enjoy just about anything related to firearms. Again, FAR from professional level knowledge, since there are experts out there who would consider my knowledge insignificant, but I at least know enough to get by in conversation with most of them.

Your knowledge of computers and programming is quite astounding for a non-professional as well, if I might add. =)

#304437 - 02/06/08 07:21 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Malakuma Offline

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Japanese language. A large portion of my time is devoted to studying and writing Japanese. Mastering the language is extremely important to me for personal and professional reasons. Unfortunately, despite living here for 3 years, I have a long long way to reach perfection. Ganbatteimasu.

Next is history, specifically Japanese, more specifically WWII (relations with China and the US). My goal is to translate books and documents into English.

Finally, my own stories and artwork. My time devoted to them depends on my mood; nevertheless, they are still an important part of my life.

#304439 - 02/06/08 07:27 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
Music has always been my first obsession. I have a wide range of heavy metal and hard rock knowledge, the history of the genre and the bands that have defined and shaped it. I've studied the careers of certain rock groups and have a thorough grasp of the lifestyle from bar bands to stadium stars. I've played guitar for years and will go through phases where I study scales and music theory to the point of madness. I also occasionally enjoy recording and mixing music with analog equipment. Lately I haven't been as obsessed with music as much as I have been in the past.

Psychology is a newer interest of mine. I am not as knowledgeable about the subject as I would like to be so I have much more reading to do. I've been learning about anatomy as well, how chemicals in our brains affect our attitudes and behavior. What causes these chemical reactions.

Human behavior. I've learned a lot just by watching.

In many ways behavior, psychology and anatomy are connected and I think a more thorough knowledge of these subjects will be very valuable and useful to me.

Poetry and literature. Always been a Edgar Allan Poe fan. More recently I've taken to reading Oscar Wilde, studying his writing style and word usage. I just started into Shakespeare as well.

I tend to obsess over a narrow range of subjects at any one time. If I spread myself too thin I find that I cannot put any serious attention into any of my interests and thus I gain very little. So it is a matter of setting my priorities to match my current interests. This last week I have set aside my obsessions and have been focusing on reading all of my Satanic literature again.

#304450 - 02/06/08 08:09 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Lust Offline

"So, ASIDE FROM SATANISM, what subjects are you most obsessed with studying?"

I fail to see how these things that I enjoy studying, or have a general interest in, somehow lies outside of Satanism? I devote a lot of time, and research to the art of Sales. I have my own personal theory on the matter. It is my bread and butter if you will.
Parenting, is also a subject that I am interested in. All of which I do for selfish reasons. I find that very Satanic.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#304453 - 02/06/08 08:14 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
I'd say-

Psychology- an interest I had long before I started studying it academically. In fact, it's been a fascination of mine for as long as I can remember.

Art - including its history, famous artists, techniques (drawing and painting, Photoshop, photography, filming, sculpting etc).

Human Sexuality- the personal and interpersonal psychology behind it, gender definitions, fetishes and perversions, props, techniques (on the theoretical as well as the practical level, from BDSM to Kama Sutra and more) and of course- the laws of seduction and manipulation through sexual suggestion in general.

Maybe philosophy can go in here too- which by itself is very interesting, but I also believe is an inseparable part of psychology.

I think those are the only subjects that I'm REALLY "obsessed" with.

I had many obsessions in the past, and I have a strong feeling I'll develop some more in the future- but I think the aforementioned are here to stay.

Edited by The_Lightning (02/06/08 10:03 AM)

#304456 - 02/06/08 08:31 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: The_Lightning]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Loc: Florida
Paleo-anthropology/Biological evolution/Religion as an evolutionary social construct.

English/Celtic History (Arthurian mythos-Tudor times)

Dogs. Dog shows. Breeding/Eugenics of Dogs.

American Playwrights.

Movies/TV that create total environments.

Roller Coasters. (I love the engineering that makes them possible)

Advocating against/Creating legislation/Destroying sexual predators.

Collecting Cheshire Cats (One must study the artistic changes---very zeitgeist is kitty)

Cosmetics and handbags. (Study: How to get the same product for $10. that is usually $50. by simply comparing incredients)

Gourmet cooking.

Y~

Edited by Ygraine (02/06/08 08:38 AM)
Edit Reason: Can't shut up

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#304458 - 02/06/08 08:46 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
This is a good discussion starter, Magister. In fact, I was planning an essay on my lifetime area of study. Perhaps this will suffice.

While I have many interests; and, from time to time will get lost on a particular subject until I am satisfied that I have an understanding of it, the one subject that I have been obsessive about, since the age of nine, is astrology.

Now…I can see the eyes roll, so I would like to elaborate. I do not read my horoscope. I am fully aware that astrology is considered a pseudoscience; and I understand why. I make no claims that astrology “works”. I have a fair bit of knowledge in the nuts and bolts of the thing.

The reason I find the study of astrology valuable is that it opens up avenues of study in virtually every major subject…history, psychology, sociology, anatomy and medicine, symbolism, mathematics, astronomy, physics, mythologies, politics…the list is endless.

While the sweep seems broad, at any avenue, I can follow an interest as deeply as I choose. I have taken chemistry and astronomy courses, just for the fun of it, because of interests I have developed while studying astrology.

So…that is why I have enjoyed a lifelong obsession with astrology. It has opened up vistas of exploration traveled for the sheer thrill of knowledge…pure and simple.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#304459 - 02/06/08 08:57 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Dancing...From different types of folk dance around the world to MTV Viddy-Hos. I love watching a body move in exceptional ways. The sheer beauty and skill of it often has brougth tears to my eyes.

I'm also obsessed with urban club/dancehall moves. The bogo, harlem shake, soldier, tati, bounce, honky, butterfly, etc. I can't actually do them all, but that doesn't stop me from trying. In my dreams I can breakdance... (So You Think You Can Dance fans, I'm looking at you.)

Home decorating...(although I guess this could fit into Total Environment) I'm obsessed with modern trends in design and how I can reproduce them for cheaper and make them cooler, hopefully using something I found on the curb. Another man's garbage is indeed my treasure.

Shoes.

Mimicking other languages, especially ones that I don't understand. This indeed has high obsessive qualities to it, because rarely am I attempting to actually learn the language, but I hear the sounds and the small intricate nuances in speech and feel compelled to repeat it until I get it right.

My Family Mythology...Nobody in my family knows their accurate family history, so I've stopped asking specific details and simply let them tell the stories they want to tell.

Religion, ritual, worldviews, mostly from a functionalist perspectives.

#304460 - 02/06/08 09:03 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Philosophy is my overwhelmingly #1 obsession, but that can be broken down into subheaders.

My dissertation research is on Early Modern metaphysics and epistemology, specifically Kant's theories on the soul and on self-knowledge. (My MA work was on Spinoza, and had some epistemology and metaphysics in it, too.)

Last year, I picked up a fair chunk of Late Medieval logic and a bit of metaphysics. I invested in my own copy of Aristotle's Organon, and three volumes of William of Ockham.

I have a long standing interest in European philosophy, which subdivides into three further subheadings:
- German Idealism and Neo-Kantianism,
- Phenomenology (which is really the successor to the former, but found novel applications in addressing problems of method in the social sciences), and
- Poststructuralism (this is the odd duck out, but stems from my attraction to the Creepy French Nietzscheans - Klossowski, Bataille, Foucault, Deleuze, Lyotard...).

Anglo-American philosophy of law and political philosophy. I'd say this is one of the very few areas where the English language tradition has a strong advantage over European philosophy. I also study enough law to be able to follow what's going on. Early Modern political philosophy is also extremely valuable.

Where I have the time, psychology as it relates to subjects of interest to me as a philosopher (identity/meaning construction, moral reasoning, etc.); and economics, especially Austrian economics, but I want to brush up on my Chicago school background at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Right now I'm TAing for a course that involves a heavy component of international diplomacy and development.

And I've always had an interest in myth and religion, taken primarily as expressions of human imagination.

Right now I'm also reading Njll's Saga, and am enjoying it. I might start reading a bit more fantasy literature if I can find something that is comparably engaging. Njll's Saga is unlike anything I've ever read - one minute, warriors clash in dark groves, windswept heaths or heaving ship decks, cleaving each other in half with magic weapons; and the next minute, the survivors are engaged in tense court battles to negotiate cash settlements for the families of the slain. It combines fantasy adventure, intrigue, suspense, and courtroom drama. All written in the 13th century (and set in the 10th). It's fascinating.

A lot of my passions clearly imply an interest in history.

When I need a refresher, I sit down with my six volumes of full color facsimiles of the illuminated print works of William Blake.

Edited by reprobate (02/06/08 09:14 AM)

#304462 - 02/06/08 09:18 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Magister_Harris Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Long Island
The radio industry - Obvious, considering what I'm known for. I devour trade mags and online publications pertaining to the radio business. I like to follow trends as far as what formats are the most palatable to advertisers, and what formats are accruing the highest cumulative listenership in various demographics.

Poker - I read, on average, at least two books on poker playing a month. I am obsessed with this very simple yet complex game that allows anyone with an above average ability to apply lesser magic skills to fleece others out of money.

Neuro-linguistic Programming (NLP) - a recent obsession that stems back to both my background in radio sales, as well as an interview that I conducted with Magister Nemo. Books and lectures by Richard Bandler and John Grinder borrow aspects from several psychotherapists, including renowned clinical hypnotist Milton Erickson, to develop a communication system that allows one to exert an tremendous amount of influence on the mental state of other people, as well as themselves.
Host - Hate Speech Radio
http://www.hatespeechradio.com

#304468 - 02/06/08 09:38 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Archaeology (especially Ancient Egypt and Rome)

Reading books on all kind of different subjects (both fiction and non-fiction)

Computers. I try to keep up to date to the last developments in computer hardware. I like to build and re-build my own computers and some times I put a lot of energy and time on non-commercial projects just for fun. I have been recently experimenting with non-mainstream Operative Systems like Ubuntu.

My Comics. Not exactly a subject of study, but it is something I dedicate a great amount of my time and effort. I try to keep improving my art skills all the time and I experiment with new things form time to time.

#304469 - 02/06/08 09:42 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Magister_Harris]
Scion Offline

Loc: London, UK
History - all periods are of interest but the area I like the most and am most familiar with is early modern Europe as it was the time when the seeds of modern society were sown and we started to move away from the pretty stagnant dark and middle ages into where we are now.

Squash - I've been playing for nearly two years and really enjoy it. I'm not that good at it (compared to a lot of the other people I play) but being a fairly non-competetive type that doesn't bother me, I just like the exercise and fun of it.

Singing - I trained for a year and a bit to develop my voice and really enjoyed it. I'm not currently doing anything now but intend to start lessons again sometime this year as part of my to do list.

Acting - something I've done for a long time and to a professional level (nothing major but I did paid work as a child and was offered a place in a very good drama school - why oh why didn't I take that rather than going to the shit heap of a school I went to?). Unfortunately lack of time means I don't get to do it much now, I belong to a theatre group near where I live but have only done one production with them so far. Looking forward to do more in the future though.

I also have interests in literature, music (particularly classical) and psychology but nothing I would call an obsession. I just enjoy them.

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

www.vampiretemple.com - are you one of us?

#304470 - 02/06/08 09:47 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: reprobate]
Max Faust Offline
Banned

Loc: Ultima Thule
 Originally Posted By: reprobate
reading Njll's Saga

My compliments on that. It is indeed a story that has it all.

May I also suggest "Egill Skallagrimssons Saga" (an even worse badass than Conan the Barbarian ;\) ) and "Hrolf Kraki's Saga" - both available in Penguin Classics paperback edition. Norse Saga (it means "the word" or "what has been said") literature is really a genre of its own.

Anyway, to the point of the thread, I guess it is a bit of an obsession of mine to study the history and evolution of ideas as structural phenomenons ("crowd crystals") in human society. "Memetics" is a whole discipline of nonlinear study which has been named after Richard Dawkin's concept - a meme being the least amount of information necessary to transport an idea - but it is not yet quite acceptable as good and kosher science, like for instance psychology. ;\)

I am also somewhat obsessed with sex.

#304471 - 02/06/08 09:48 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
Great topic.

1. Languages. With Spanish and Portuguese solidly under my belt, I'm taking a stab at Italian and would like to be fluent within a year and a half.

2. Dance. I was in ballet shoes from the moment I could walk, and there is no art form that I appreciate more than beautiful dancing.. my favorites being ballet, tango, flamenco, and modern. From studying the history of ballet to searching for new and beautiful music that accompanies various forms of dance, I just can't get enough. I don't dance anymore (except on that rare night out), but it will always be a huge part of my heart.

3. Fashion (this encapsulates hair and cosmetics as well as clothing). I'm not talking about your cheap, trendy, or herdish fashions that you see walking down the street... rather extreme couture that pushes the limits of what is generally seen as beautiful.

4. My most recent obsession is exercise and fitness. I've fallen in love with learning about and trying new things and pushing myself physically to do things I never thought I'd be able to accomplish. There is so much to study regarding the human body and how to make it the strongest and best it can be that it sometimes makes my head spin, and I'll never want for new learning material.

I'd list the art of Lesser Magic(from the art of seduction to basic manipulation of every day situations in dealing with others) as it would be near the top of my list, but it really falls into the category of Satanism, so I'll leave mention of it down here. \:\)

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#304477 - 02/06/08 10:12 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Adveser Offline

Loc: California
I like just about anything that I can learn gradually. I mostly love Technology though and music is my love. I tend to hate anything that is very hard to understand or gets confusing. That's no fun! I'm trying to learn how to sing, but it is getting frustrating. I'm going into computer electronics because I realized in this day and age being audio engineer is not gonna go anywhere long term. Better to invent and work on the tools themselves than the process of using them.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12095 Members
73 Forums
43861 Topics
405461 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements