Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#304550 - 02/06/08 04:02 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Philotechnic]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
I have always been fascinated by human behavior. Even as a small child I would watch people and try to figure out what makes them tick, so to speak. Today I dedicate much of my spare time, outside of an academic setting, to studying psychological persuasion.

Ive grown particularly interested in hypnosis and NLP, as Reverend_Harris mentioned, which I think is by far one of the most effective and important studies in lesser magic because its not really concerned with why things work, but rather it focuses on what is useful.

Good stuff indeed!

Edited by Astratus (02/06/08 04:02 PM)

#304561 - 02/06/08 04:45 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

I like this thread as this makes me think about something I was just doing today again : searching for another old clock and a compass for my collection. I have this true obsession since child, I never really knew why actually.

I never been someone very good with mathematics, but all that concerns precision and geometry absolutely obsesses me. Through centuries of occult sciences, symbolism plays a large role, and I can say I dig it to no end ( Alchemy, etc..)

Another obsession I have, is to cannot resist to write down the notes of everything I could hear around (besides writing music). That's maybe odd to say this, but I have always loved to reproduce everything in sound, as even a noise is a note...Well, that's a kind of "bizarre hobby".

Edited by Assabrah (02/06/08 04:46 PM)

#304568 - 02/06/08 05:12 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
TheAbysmal Offline

Magister Svengali,

Computer Science, an admittedly large umbrella, continues to be My single greatest obsession since My father brought a "throw away" computer home from his work place. What began as a fascination with programming the machine evolved into a lifelong pursuit of a vast array of enthusiastic "study". Computer Science emcompasses so many disciplines, I think I may never grow tired of it.

I particularly enjoy getting close to the machine level, programming in 80x86 Assembly, studying data structures, algorithms, file layouts, etc. (In fact, just yesterday I was glossing over the Red Book specification for Compact Disk Digital Audio.)

My passion invariably takes Me into other fields of interest: Web Authoring, OS Design, Database Theory—not for the faint-hearted—Set Theory, Logic, Finite State Machines… The list never seems to end. Sometimes, it literally sucks to have an interest in such an expansive field. I find it difficult to focus on any one aspect of it. It reminds Me of an expression I have heard, to paraphrase: "He who is focussed on everything is focussed on nothing." Good thing for Me I do not do it for a living. :)

Music is another of My great obsessions. I imagine it could sound a bit of a stretch to classify it as a "study", but I devote a considerable portion of My time to researching it lately. In particular, I have lately given much attention to finding audiophile-grade equipment—what of it I can reasonably afford—and researching methods of digital archival that preserve the music's fidelity. I basically want a high-fidelity, digital audio system… A musical equivalent to TiVo. I find CDs so cumbersome, but darn if there are only a handful music providers that offer music in high-resolution sample rates, and they carry little of the music I prefer.

Then of course, there is the slippery slope of the ethics and legality surrounding the removal or circumvention Digital Rights Management (DRM) to more freely, yet still legally use My music. This is the area from which the "study" aspect of music arises. Lets say I have an online music subscription account—I do and it is a lo-fi one :>—who uses DRM to prevent their music from being illegally distributed over file-sharing networks. I understand the concern therein, but why should I not be able to listen to this music on a device that I own and prefer, namely not My laptop? Now, there are legal; albeit, ethically questionable methods to circumvent the DRM, such as virtual sound cards that "play" the music and re-record it. (Some applications actually hack and decrypt the music, which is unmistakably illegal.) So, am I legally and ethically "in the clear" if I play back and record My subscribtion tracks and continue to pay My subscription fee and do not unlawfully distribute the music to others? How is that different than "ripping" a PCM from a CD and playing that on My portable media player? Because of these questions, music has quite literally become a subject of study for Me lately.

Refuse to die.

#304569 - 02/06/08 05:23 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
CatlikeJoe Offline

Loc: Dominican Republic
My interests include:

Cats. I love most types of animals that I know of. I've helped raise some pretty uncommon animals (most exotic being a couple of red tailed hawks), but my absolute favorites have been cats. I love everything about them, the way they move, look, eat, sleep and even shit. I can count at least three scratches on my hands right now.

Art, mostly paintings and movies. My avatar is a little parody I made of Andy Warhol's Campbell soup paintings. As for movies, I also throw in series with it. I like to watch them on DVD because my sound system is better tuned than the local theatres.

TECHNOLOGY! I don't know what I would do without my PDA. I generally ponder on what I should upgrade or buy in a year (I like to plan ahead). I know a wee bit of programming (Lua). I'm studying to be an industrial engineer. I swear I taking my scientific calculator the next time I go to a supermarket... I always forget it.

Do it yourself. I usually find myself fixing clothes, books or random other things. Reason being that I usually do a better job than "professionals", I even cut my own hair. If I ever mess up with something at least I didn't get ripped off for the crappy job.

#304577 - 02/06/08 06:33 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Quote:
ASIDE FROM SATANISM,

Although quite a few here touched upon it, after replying my main interests off the top of my head, they cannot be separated from a Satanic worldview.

A professional excellence is the legacy of one's name, a shoe obsession places an importance on one's aesthetic, a firearm obsession relates to self-preservation.

So a Satanists interests implicitly are Satanic, if not explicitly proclaimed.

Just wanted to explicitly say that.

#304594 - 02/06/08 08:14 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

Music

This is my biggest obsession and have done so much research on it. I don't play music professionally but I enjoy playing other people's music for other people.

I was always the "dj" type. I also have a thing of watching how DJs operate at house parties and nightclubs. I prefer watching the party DJs due to their handling of vinyl.

Record stores are heaven to me. I can spend countless of hours in a record store going from one section to another just picking up random albums. I can't shop for music online. I have to buy it at a record shop.

Sometimes I hear people say they listen to everything. Only few people I've met can live up to that claim. Of course when I claim to listen to everything, I fucking mean it. (Well, gospel is an exception.)

I'm not going to type down a list of all the genres, subgenres, bands and artists that I enjoy and research. However, nothing gives me a greater feeling than hearing someone coming in my cafe telling me "Wow. I love this place. Everytime I come here I hear something different." or "You have great taste in music.".

I listen to music everyday, all day. I never go anywhere without my cd player. I sometimes sleep with my stereo on. If I'm in a mood for a nightmare (I like having nightmares for some odd reason), I'll put on the most scariest black metal record I can find in my collection, or 'Coil', and doze off. ;\)

Vampires

Aside from real Vampirism, I always had an obsession with the fictional vampire. I love collecting vampire novels especially from the 17th and 18th century as well as horror films involving vampires.

Last year I bought Vampires - Encounters with the Undead edited by David J. Skal.

It's in fact the largest anthology of vampires ever published. It's 600 pages long and features two centuries of literature, illustration, lore and history. Everyone with an obsession with vampires should have this.

#304598 - 02/06/08 08:33 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Callier]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
That book looks good! I've read Skal's Monster Show and Screams of Reason and loved them. Highly recommended.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#304605 - 02/06/08 08:57 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Zaftig]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
 Originally Posted By: lexiphanic
 Quote:
ASIDE FROM SATANISM,

Although quite a few here touched upon it, after replying my main interests off the top of my head, they cannot be separated from a Satanic worldview.

A professional excellence is the legacy of one's name, a shoe obsession places an importance on one's aesthetic, a firearm obsession relates to self-preservation.

So a Satanists interests implicitly are Satanic, if not explicitly proclaimed.

Just wanted to explicitly say that.

I made that qualification to pre-empt the usual scenario of people falling all over each other to show how "Satanic" they are.

Trust me, I don't separate Satanism from an obsessive interest in anything. Read the first essay in my book. ;\)
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#304614 - 02/06/08 09:17 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: DickSteele]
Faded Offline

Depraved sex acts - Like most people I have met I am obsessed with my own carnal nature. Bondage, S&M and well you get the idea.

Demonology - Weather they exsist or not is irrelevent to me, rather i am interested in where all the ideas came from and perhaps one day i will seek the real answers.

Psychology - The human psyche has always been interesting to me.

Music - I know more about music than any of my friends and I would consider it a hobby.

The occult - Actually how I found this site and became interested was looking to learn about satanism both Atheistic and Theistic.

Religion - As I have said I find it interesting just what human beings are willing to blindly believe. I think the world needs more sceptic people.

I almost forgot

Martial arts - I feel it is a wonderful feeling not feeling helpless in most situations.

Gothic culture - Actuallty this one gives me some hang ups with people that are less than intelligent. Some of the sub catigories such as "Emos" or "Goth in a box" I more tend to lean towards the "Romantic" aspects of the life style.

Street gangs - Unfortunatly I know first hand just how bad it can be on the streets. As brutal as it is and so full of hypocrassy I have noticed the rise in violence and drug use in relation. How sad.

Edited by Faded (02/06/08 09:25 PM)

#304620 - 02/06/08 09:26 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
fire_vixen Offline

For me right now:
Psychology- all various approaches to it. I am fascinated with human behavior and cognition. Memory is an interest of mine too.
Reading- lots of the books from the CoS suggested reading
Music- classical especially
Chess
Poker
Philosophy
M-fields (Rupert Sheldrake)
Animal telepathy (from books of Sheldrake) It is amazing how animals know and sense things humans can't.
I love animals in general.

#304636 - 02/06/08 09:48 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: fire_vixen]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
Quite a few of us (myself included) listed psychology, but as of yet nobody has said sociology. I find that fascinating.

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#304637 - 02/06/08 09:51 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Note:

Originally Posted By: Svengali
I mean genuinely obsessed or engrossed in to the point that a significant segment of your life is devoted to it, professionally or not.

.... not vaguely interested, or looked up something online once.

I'm talking about things you actually have absorbed yourself in to a level of competent familiarity or some degree of expertise, not merely listing "stuff that sounds cool."
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#304648 - 02/06/08 10:07 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
SilverHammer Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Connecticut
Journalism. After floundering a bit about what I wanted to do in school, I gradually fell into it and discovered I have some kind of knack for it, and made it my major.

I'm not sure how much I'm "studying" it in the strictest sense, although I'm reading a bit about its history, and working as managing editor of my college paper. I devote a good 10 hours each weekend to it instead of doing what most college students do on weekends (drink, sleep all day, etc.), studying AP style, learning how to design newspaper layouts, editing articles, and coaching staff writers. Journalism, even more than law, is an often-denigrated profession, so I haven't pondered too much about what relationship there may be between it and Satanism; all I know is that I like it, and I'm getting better at it.

Beyond that, almost all of my non-fiction reading is history, especially ancient Greek, Roman, medieval and Middle Eastern history (lately the Ottoman empire to be specific). I can stay up until 4 AM reading a good history book far more readily than even my favorite fiction.

I can see myself getting obsessed with more recent historical areas, especially American history and the two World Wars...I just haven't gotten there yet.

I also still occasionally find myself getting engrossed in studying automobiles, although that happens less and less these days.

www.myspace.com/savagegod

#304649 - 02/06/08 10:08 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Colonel Kurtz Offline
CoS Member

Military Professional Development! Anything that concerns training and developing soldier's. First line leadership.

Thai Boxing. It has givin me more than I can give back. Not a passive addiction.

My wife and children! No need to elaborate. It's just an obsession.

#304659 - 02/06/08 10:48 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Citizen Jonesy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Palm Springs, California, USA
I'm currently studying the next generation of spaceflight.

Specifically, I'm trying to read up on the Orion spacecraft project.
Webmaster
The 8FoldPath Network-Just updated

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12095 Members
73 Forums
43861 Topics
405458 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements