Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#304678 - 02/07/08 01:28 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Bruja]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> 3. Fashion (this encapsulates hair and cosmetics as well as clothing). I'm not talking about your cheap, trendy, or herdish fashions that you see walking down the street... rather extreme couture that pushes the limits of what is generally seen as beautiful.<<

Yes. We've discussed it. But really we are talking about aesthetics and style here, rather than "fashion"

I refer to those fashions as "council estate wear"

Those rough fuckers who all wear clothes that have on occasions cost a pretty penny and still look shit. And don't get me started on their fucking hairstyles!

Even throwing on a suit does not cut the mustard for me. We are talking here about creativity.

Few people have the style to infuse what they wear with their own individual personality. So they need fashion. An identity straight off the hook.

But as Dolly Parton pointed out - "Hey, it costs a lot of money to look this cheap."

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#304682 - 02/07/08 02:55 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Citizen Jonesy]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
 Quote:
I'm currently studying the next generation of spaceflight.

Specifically, I'm trying to read up on the Orion spacecraft project.

Any impressions of it so far?

Personally, I'm all for it. The Shuttle has some wonderful capabilities that I'll be sad to see go, but... it's time. We should go somewhere again.

I do have a few quarrels with the Ares I / Ares V booster architecture, but they're pretty minor in the big picture. I still support Project Constellation.

Also... any opinion on the moon vs. the asteroids as a first target for it?

-Chess

#304688 - 02/07/08 06:24 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Muse Offline

CoS Member

Loc: In Your Dreams
 Originally Posted By: Svengali
Note:

I mean genuinely obsessed or engrossed in to the point that a significant segment of your life is devoted to it, professionally or not.

.... not vaguely interested, or looked up something online once.

I'm talking about things you actually have absorbed yourself in to a level of competent familiarity or some degree of expertise, not merely listing "stuff that sounds cool."

Theatre. A level of expertise, as I have been studying it and had a passion for it since I was very young. Acting is my forte, with directing a stong second. Also, set design, costuming, make-up, voice and choreography. Along with those performance aspects, script analysis. I have worked both professionally and in regional theatre. I have worked in film and live theatre...the latter being my preference. Absolutley my obsession.
(Currently on hiatus while I attend to grad school, but I have every intention of bringing the show back when the time is right!)

The holy trinity: Me, Myself, and I.

"Does anyone ever realize life while they are living it? Every, every minute?"
- Emily, Our Town, by Thornton Wilder

"Life's like a ballgame. You gotta take a swing at whatever comes along before you wake up and find it's the ninth inning." ~Vera (Ann Savage) in Detour

#304693 - 02/07/08 07:18 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
 Quote:
We are talking here about creativity.

Few people have the style to infuse what they wear with their own individual personality. So they need fashion.... An identity straight off the hook.

Yes, that's worth noting. "Fashion" marketed to the masses sells an identity, it doesn't promote individuality...hence, the oversatuation of teeny boppers and trendy adults alike scouring the mall for the new "hot celebrity look". . You and I have talked that to death. ;\)

That was certainly not what I was referring to.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#304698 - 02/07/08 08:00 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I mentioned it only to prove how Satanic I am. ;\)

Your book arrived at my brother's house, which he promptly held hostage until I pay the ransom (read: his Visa bill).

I'm looking forward to it!

#304730 - 02/07/08 12:41 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Marcato Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Northern New England
Automotive/Motorcycle aesthetics: Iíve parlayed my lifelong obsession with vehicle styling into several businesses. The subject consumes at least 60 hours of each week of my life.

Economics: Iíve engaged myself in a rigorous schedule, studying macroeconomics, microeconomics, positive economics, normative economics, etc. Iíve taken a particular interest in securities trading. For some time now, Iíve been paper trading with good results, and I intend to start playing with a little of my own dough when Iíve got my system ironed out. When I return home from work, I typically cook myself a meal, pour a glass of wine and spend the rest of my day buried in books about whoís got wealth, how did they get it, and how do I get it.

#304851 - 02/07/08 10:47 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
 Quote:
I'm not talking about your cheap, trendy, or herdish fashions that you see walking down the street... rather extreme couture that pushes the limits of what is generally seen as beautiful.

This is a worthwhile endeavor, I applaud your efforts. I myself would not have any idea where to begin with "extreme couture", but it is good to know that clothing as adornment has not totally fallen to the dogs.

#304854 - 02/07/08 11:13 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Noordenzuid Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Recently, I have been quite attentive and engrossed in Economics, behaviour of the banks and big business activity on the stockmarket.

I am doing a Bachelor of Business, majoring in Economics and Marketing. Soon I will be picking up Business Law.

I don't know if it's through studying the above which has given me this appetite for topics I mentioned earlier but I find myself reading financial reviews, observing large company credentials, subsrcibed to a couple of mailing lists and taking some online tutorials on e-trade.

All this in my spare time! (Which is limited I might add.)

Study. Learn. Succeed ;\)

HS!

-Albert Camus

"To passion, to paradise, to pain, to night."

#304872 - 02/08/08 01:02 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
tekku Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Behind You
I have many interests and touch on alot of subjects as I love books and learning, however the following pretty much encompass what I am obsessed with and has taken up my exsistance from as far back as I can remember.

-Culinary Arts & Gastronomy -

I am completely obsessed about the relationship between culture and food and everything else that encompasses the study of Gastronomy, including environmental sustainability (agricultural science) & produce.

- Electronic Music Production -

Stemming from my past "professional hobby" of dj-ing, I fell into production out of curiosity after first laying my eyes on a Moog & Tb303 Synth and being shown a few things and I was hooked.

-Arthouse/Avant Garde/Foreign Art Films-

Love Independant films that fall under above mentioned category and sub categories as such.
Distinct cinematography that touches on topics of many diverse nature's. Director's which I love are Jeunet & Caro, Sergei Eisenstein, Fritz Lang, Peter Greenaway, Luis Bunuel & Stanley Kubrik

La bonne cuisine est la base du vťritable bonheur ~Escoffier~

Church of Satan

#304878 - 02/08/08 01:44 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Taxationland
You'll never nail this custard to a wall my friend!

My greatest obsession is Life! I have so many things to learn and study, can't seem to make room for it all. I love what this Satanic life has provided, and I will keep looking for more. Yeah I'm a brat!!! So what? ;\)
"To be born into this world a sentient, self-conscious and reasoning being, surrounded by inexhaustible glories in Nature, which we may comprehend, possess,enjoy; to be able to rise on the wings of a lofty imagination; to be able to get glimpses of the ideally perfect; to apprehend the Divine; it is to the development and enjoyment of these high powers that the young man is invited. How dare he refuse to qualify himself by the most perfect training of all his powers." Lyman J. Gage 1910

"Follow Me!", John M. (Delta).

"I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think." Something Magistra Isabel posted. laugh

#305033 - 02/08/08 07:19 PM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Business/Marketing.

Books.

Edited by Unknown (04/09/09 12:46 PM)

#305120 - 02/09/08 01:54 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Xaira Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Psychology, Sociology, and Philosophy.
Everything in my life I see through these lenses. I have been looking at how people tick since I was very small.

Cooking
My uncle was a gourmet chef, and since he died, I've been cooking nonstop. (Incidentally, I have been eating it too. Doesn't help the ole' belly to be a good cook.)

Literature
Reading and writing. I'm always working on a story or poem, and there's always a book open on my side table. I also read while I cook.)

Music
I play bass and sing. I love to play and listen, especially to metal and classical music. I can also run most professional soundboards.

Film
Watch em and make em. All the time. I can almost recite every line from The Cabinet of Doctor Calgari and Metropolis.

That's all of em, I think!!

devilchili

"You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance." - Ray Bradbury

#305125 - 02/09/08 01:59 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Svengali]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
So, ASIDE FROM SATANISM, what subjects are you most obsessed with studying?

1. Mathematics
My brother said, "You're the only person I know who reads mathematics books in your spare time." Math is a passion of mine, and often I find myself lost in working out some kind of math proof through the very late hours of the night. My response to the old "desert island" question (what few things would you want to have) is usually "pens and paper", as I could keep myself occupied indefinitely with that and the math ideas that come into my head.

I hold a Bachelor's degree in Mathematical Science and a Master's degree in Applied Mathematics. My education was mostly in mathematical modeling of engineering and physical systems with differential equations, plus numerical analysis. In layman's terms, the first means designing and applying equations to different sorts of changing systems that have many parameters (population growth in biology, stress and manufacturing details of metals, the weather, etc.) and finding results that optimize situations (how should be build this device so that it does the job at the minimal cost, etc.). Numerical analysis deals with developing and/or using calculation methods so computers can solve complicated things accurately and in a short time.

This is different though from the kind of math I LIKE the most. I like to read about mathematical history, and especially the mathematics of the ancient Greeks (thanks again, Magister, for that Pythagoras book!). I like linear algebra, as it has a fascinating amount of applications. Chaos theory and fractals are fun too. I also love things like the Golden Ratio, and confirming or debunking certain claims associated with it, sometimes finding new stuff too. Number theory is also something I've been researching on my own. I'm usually busy with problems that come down to "sacred geometry" and other applications in music theory. And for what it's worth, I think there's definitely some things to be said about LaVey's remarks on the number 9 and also his "Law of the Trapezoid".

2. Music
This covers a lot of different categories: listening to music, collecting rarities or complete catalogs from certain bands, pop music history (and not just what Rolling Stone warps it to be), going to concerts, and also all the things that go with being a musician myself (learning more about the instruments I play, playing with other musicians, studying music theory -- which relates to my mathematical mind, analyzing the works of other musicians, study of the human voice). I live getting into the details of how certain bands or entire genres have changed over the years and why. I've noticed that most people who claim to be "diverse" music fans are still incredibly clueless to the amount of stuff that's out there.

I've also notitced a difference in what I like to listen to versus what I like to play. For example, I LOVE playing jazz even though I don't listen to much of it. I see it as a mathematical challenge of sorts (how do I get from this chord to this other chord, using this scale, and how much tension do I want, etc.). And again I love music theory, which most rock musicians cringe at. On the professional level: I've played countless shows with different bands and have gotten money in some cases, but I decided a long time ago that I don't want to be a full-time performer. I have had a few friends ask me, completely independent of each other, if I ever considered writing a music-related book. I may just do that.

3. Comedy
I know everybody likes comedy in some form or another, but I actually collect comedy recordings, and avidly follow the works of certain comedians. Most of what I focus on is stand-up comedy, but to a lesser extent I also look at sketch comedy in the form of both stage and audio recordings. These all have different demands though. My love for comedy and collecting certain cuts has not only in part led me to hosting my own comedy show (see signature link), but doing that show in turn has led me to exploring comedy more deeply.

I can't say I do this on a "professional" level since I don't make a dime from my radio show (in fact, it's something I put money INTO), but it's a labor of love I do every week. I've learned so much in the 5 years I've been doing the show. Like music, I think comedy has certian performers who set trends and have some intriguing and evolving history, even though most of what gets played to the public is garbage. Even comedy, I've found, can relate back to mathematics. But that's a whole other subject.

Quote:
This is not an invitation to puff-up, posture, and brag...

Well ya get me talking about one of these things, and it's hard for me to shut up.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#305135 - 02/09/08 02:40 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Bill_M]
ConquerOrPerish Offline

Loc: DC Metro Area
-Economics, laissez-faire, free market principles. I may turn this into a career but I don't know if I have the PASSION.

-Politics, especially Conservative/Libertarian thought

-Braaaaaaaaaaasil!!- I speak enough Portuguese to get around. Futebol, Copa du Mundo, Capoeira, Candomble/Voodoo, Samba, Forro (dance), Feijoada (bean dish), Carnaval, Jiu-Jitsu Brasileiro, apelidos (nicknames, I was given one), Cidade de Deus (City of God), Rap Brasileiro (even wrote a Brazilian rap), Sepultura (Brazilian heavy metal band), different regions, the landscape, the politics, the culture, the problems even! I love the problems!! and I haven't even been there yet!

-Religions- "cocktail party knowledge" of every religion from Asatru to Zoroastrianism, Psychology of belief, Brain science of God(s)

-Psychology, Psychiatric disorders, Psychological warfare, Passive-aggressive tactics

-Languages: Spanish, French, Portuguese, brushing up on these

-Beauty, seduction, game

"Making a difference makes sense only if you are convinced that you have mastered the subject at hand to the point where any difference you might make would be for the better." -Thomas Sowell

#305144 - 02/09/08 04:47 AM Re: Obsessions & Studies [Re: Chess]
Citizen Jonesy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Palm Springs, California, USA
They really should go with both Orion and Constellation for they both have their merits, but you know beurocracies....

The moon. One step at a time....
Webmaster
The 8FoldPath Network-Just updated

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12216 Members
73 Forums
43998 Topics
406127 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements