Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#302036 - 01/28/08 06:48 PM Re: Is emotion a stength or a weakness? [Re: leonor]
ConquerOrPerish Offline

Loc: DC Metro Area
 Originally Posted By: leonor
From my experience, there’s one very simple thing, which helped me a great deal to balance my emotions: Acknowledging reality. That is, the context upon which things happen, human nature, and the nature of the environment.

I totally agree.

"Making a difference makes sense only if you are convinced that you have mastered the subject at hand to the point where any difference you might make would be for the better." -Thomas Sowell

#302050 - 01/28/08 07:33 PM It is neither. [Re: Seeker Of Wisdom]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
An emotion is an extremely quick, subconscious evaluation of some experience based on your previous assumptions about similar experiences and which is summed up and delivered to your conscious awareness as a feeling, a kinesthetic response.

The only question is whether or not your emotional responses are appropriate to your situation. As an instant guideline to your world, your emotions may be based on appropriate thinking or not.

The good news is that you can reprogram your emotional responses by thinking differently and no longer acting on former poor thinking.

One example for doing so is ceremonial ritual. Performing a Satanic ritual in which you do denounce anti-human ethics and shout "Hail Satan!" is an abyss which, once crossed, has a permanent effect upon you.

This is also one reason why it is so common to find people who come here and have so many "problems" with the ritual side of Satanism. Often, they are simply still afraid of the "consequences". Their emotional programming from a Judeo-Christian culture is still in control despite their conscious assumptions.

When you walk your talk, you will come to feel your walk.

#302051 - 01/28/08 07:35 PM Re: Is emotion a stength or a weakness? [Re: ConquerOrPerish]
Pact_Primeval Offline

Loc: Derby, England
My opinions are the following: Emotions are a part of us, and they are part of human nature, and part of the animal. There is a time and a place for certain emotions (such as the elements relevant to Greater Magic) and those, which you give out to those who deserve it. I do not waste emotion on those who conflict with my state of being who do not have the influence to touch them, and in some cases… even some members of my own blood cannot touch me in this way.

No one can tell you how much emotion you hold over a loved one, they can guess or imagine, but it is not absolute. This in my opinion is only relevant to you and the one you feel for, such as your daughter. She is a life you created after all, and something to be proud of. Your natural instincts normally would suggest you wish to protect her at the expense of your own life perhaps, she is your blood, and thus the bond is created. The way you described that touched me, actually. But I will stick to my points.

No one can tell you when to not cry at the things you find upsetting, whether fictional or not. Perhaps you relate to it in a way, or find solace in the fictional world and the director and actors do their jobs at touching your emotions. If so, great for you!

There are those who may hold expectations of you, to with strain yourself from an emotional outburst in any situation. For example, a hypothetical situation: I am out with friends at a bar and someone bursts into tears. I would find this discomforting if it were someone I cared for, not necessarily wrong. That depends on whether the reason is important to the person or not, or a result of stupidity which they later admit to. While in the situation I find myself treading carefully for words as upsetting friends is not something I can allow to pass without my emotions interfering and saying "Hey, you were a prick, now feel guilt!"
If that were the case, I learn and get it right next time. If it wasn't for guilt, I would not be able to identify those I care for from the binary opposition point of view. Sure, I would have the 'good' elements, but without the other you cannot truly appreciate either.

Another situation would be inside another’s lair or my own, which may cause them discomfort or myself depending on the respectable lair and owner, and I find reason to allow myself into a vulnerable state of expression for anything I find meaningful, or something which has a solution at the end, then by all means. I set these conditions in this scenario, as I find no comfort in words used merely to smokescreen the problem at hand. I find more of an annoying undertone should they offer me words of comfort with no actual solution to the problem, which leads to anger and can cause problems, especially if in their lair; I would have to excuse myself.

I do hold back on my emotions a lot while in public places on the whole, as I feel comfortable doing so as being the centre of attention is not something I personally like to find myself in unless I am completely comfortable within the environment and/or people. The higher reason to this unfortunately, which may not be any use to this topic which I apologise for it’s irrelevance but will input it regardless; I do not recall ever being placed in this situation, but have previously simulated the idea in my own mind, and have come to the previously stated conclusion pretty fast.

As for some of the previous posts I completely agree with the mentioning which speaks of allowing your emotions not to control you. Allow them to be a part of me? Yes, but to allow them to be me irrationally has the possibility of destroying what I stand for. I won’t go into what I stand for because I have a tendency to surprise myself.

I do not wish to sound like I am stating the obvious, or that any should follow this particular opinion, I just wish to get involved and write what everyone else has pretty much already said before me, but differently to how my mind works. If you do find this useful, then it has served its primary purpose.:)

- Damien

Edited by Pact_Primeval (01/28/08 08:19 PM)

#302052 - 01/28/08 07:37 PM Re: Is emotion a stength or a weakness? [Re: Pact_Primeval]
Pact_Primeval Offline

Loc: Derby, England
I think Magister Nemo went and hit the nail on the head.

#302067 - 01/28/08 08:40 PM Re: Is emotion a strength or a weakness? [Re: Seeker Of Wisdom]
Faded Offline

Dr. LaVey created the Church of Satan as a means of healthy ritual and to endulge in the things in life that make you happy. You said it yourself: "Satanists embrace emotion unlike the cold fish." There is no shame in feeling emotion, but it is wise to indeed learn control.

#302209 - 01/29/08 12:29 PM Re: Is emotion a strength or a weakness? [Re: Nemo]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Indeed!

Granted, changing reactions and assumptions into something different--whether through ritual, or through a kind of cogntive-psych process, or through some other means--can be an involved process, but it's certainly worth it, if it allows you to lead an increasingly successful and happy life, and eliminate more and more of the things that really bother or inconvenience you.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#302280 - 01/29/08 06:57 PM Re: Is emotion a strength or a weakness? [Re: Seeker Of Wisdom]
Rocker606 Offline

Loc: U.S.-Midwest
Great topic, and one I have thought about once or twice. I think its inherently neutral. Emotion isn't a good or bad thing, and it can't be since all people are born with it. (barring the rare medical condition.) Magister Nemo said it best; it all depends on the the situation amount of emotion used. I think rather then focusing on the good or bad emotional aspect, I look to see how I can use it best. I think its a tool like instinct.

Say in a confrontation I want to make my opponent look like an idiot; then perhaps I won't over-react or argue back with him. So I check my emotions. Perhaps in another situation I want something someone else is holding from me. Perhaps I know their susceptible to "having the strings of their heart pulled" so I lay on some emotion in order to obtain what I need.

Overall, Emotion is neutral because we all have it. We can no longer totally get rid of it then we can label it one definitive positive or negative. Its all about the application and use for it that can be determined either good or bad.

Edited by Rocker606 (01/29/08 06:57 PM)

#302287 - 01/29/08 07:33 PM Re: Is emotion a strength or a weakness? [Re: Rocker606]
Shegeek Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I agree with you rocker.

I have times where I get extremely emotional, usually when people I care about are hurt, or turning hurt towards me. Stops me dead in my tracks and I've reacted completely irrationally. Either by acting generally nasty or tuning the world out, or just simply crying. I'm lucky enough to be able to blame it on hormones! \:D

Buuut seriously, I think if we all wandered around like cyborgs the world wouldn't be nearly as creative and interestingly diverse a place as it is currently. Passion keeps things going. It's an equally fantastic and creepy emotion, depending on what your particular passion is. Still pretty necessary to get anything done.

Kurt Vonnegut

#302291 - 01/29/08 07:39 PM Re: It is neither. [Re: Nemo]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
 Originally Posted By: Nemo

When you walk your talk, you will come to feel your walk.

I like that. Satanism is not just another intellectual excercise.

Great sentence.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#302317 - 01/29/08 10:20 PM Re: It is neither. [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Yes.

This is supposed to be a carnal religion, and carnal means the body, and the body has feelings.

We are not supposed to drop the body and live in fantasy.

Mind + Body = Satanism

(At least both of those elements would seem to need to be present. ;\) )

#302326 - 01/29/08 11:20 PM Re: It is neither. [Re: Nemo]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Magister Nemo, may I suggest one small correction?

Mind = Body = Satanism ;\)
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#302330 - 01/29/08 11:36 PM Not today, thank you. [Re: Svengali]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Sorry, Magister Svengali, but I am not going to touch this issue with a ten-foot pole in this public forum.

And unless someone puts me on a payroll to make a full time job out of it, I don't think I can be induced to do so anywhere downstairs either!

I'll just stick with a simple Mind + Body = Satanism and let the crazed nitpickers do what they will!

#302332 - 01/29/08 11:49 PM Re: Not today, thank you. [Re: Nemo]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Haha! Understood! ;\)
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#303605 - 02/03/08 01:42 PM Re: Is emotion a stength or a weakness? [Re: ConquerOrPerish]
Hiram007 Offline

It's productive if you have control of your emotions, and it shows that you have the inner strength to be master of your own self and mind; but if you allow these emotions to control you it is a sign of weakness, because now you're in the passenger's seat, and you're letting other people and situations control you indirectly. Rituals are a good way to purge yourself of emotions that are big.

#304704 - 02/07/08 08:32 AM Re: Is emotion a strength or a weakness? [Re: Shegeek]
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: Shegeek

Buuut seriously, I think if we all wandered around like cyborgs the world wouldn't be nearly as creative

I agree...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12018 Members
73 Forums
43828 Topics
405224 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements