Topic Options
#305130 - 02/09/08 02:26 AM Luciferian name game.
Damaeon96 Offline
Banned

Loc: Kentucky
The name Lucifer is based on the latin phrase luciferi meaning light-bringer. Most of the historical text and documents were translated from latin, barring any secular languages they might appear in. Lucifer only appears in the christian bible once when describing the king of babylon who's title was in fact light-bringer.

Much of the mythos incorporated with Lucifer is the very same as that of Satan, who's very nature is that of pride and rebellion. The general view is that Lucifer is one of the many names of The Devil. I don't deny the power this name conjures when its spoken aloud, it inspires the darkest emotions in all of us. My point is that a mis-translation causing such a stir seems like posturing to me. I don't think Satan, the very essence of nature's dark side, would choose one of his names as "light-bringer." It's a falsehood.

"Here's to hell. May the stay there be as fun as the way there!" - Groucho Marx

#305145 - 02/09/08 04:51 AM Re: Luciferian name game. [Re: Damaeon96]
Citizen Jonesy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Palm Springs, California, USA
Your point being.....?
Webmaster
The 8FoldPath Network-Just updated

#305159 - 02/09/08 06:27 AM Re: Luciferian name game. [Re: Damaeon96]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
 Originally Posted By: Damaeon96
Lucifer only appears in the christian bible once when describing the king of babylon who's title was in fact light-bringer.

More specifically, the original word was the Hebrew heyel, sometimes translated as "morning star". The "fall" of "Lucifer" was just the descent of Venus in the night sky, and how this was compared to the fall of the king mentioned. Regardless, the Latin root word is still used in other ways. For example, "luciferous" is a term in physics that refers to something giving off light.

Originally Posted By: Damaeon96
I don't think Satan, the very essence of nature's dark side, would choose one of his names as "light-bringer." It's a falsehood.

Actually, the concept of Lucifer bringing "light" makes symbolic sense if you think of it as "enlightment". The philosophical part of the Satanic Bible is aptly called The Book of Lucifer. Satan on the other hand is the "advesary".

Of course, this is just all arguments about symbolism, as Satanism of course is a non-theistc religion that doesn't view Satan as an actual deity. Not that I needed to tell you that, right?

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ▄bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#305169 - 02/09/08 07:58 AM Re: Luciferian name game. [Re: Bill_M]
Never Offline

Loc: Skien, Norway
The fallen Angel, Satan, Lucifer - you name it, he was kicked out from heaven for questioning God`s creation of the humen, making them unable to think and all that.
So after beeing kicked out he lured Eva to take a bite of an apple from the Three of Knowledge, thereby bringing us knowledge, enlightement - I think that`s enough to call someone a Lightbringer.

This is how I have understood it from what other people have told me about how bad Satan is and stuff - I have never red the Bible myself, so that might be uncorrect.

#305170 - 02/09/08 08:13 AM Re: Luciferian name game. [Re: Never]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: Never
I have never red the Bible myself, so that might be uncorrect.

You'd be surprised how much of the things that are taught about Satan, Lucifer etc. that is not actually in the bible. Much of the popular understanding has more to do with fictional works like The Divine Comedy and Paradise Lost.

Also try to compare with the myth of Prometheus who stole the secret of fire from the gods and gave it to men, for which he was punished by them.

Every religion needs some bad guy to drive home the point that we should be thankful to some external god for our advances and not to get too cocky because then god will kick our ass.

... every religion except Satanism I guess

#305174 - 02/09/08 08:27 AM Re: Luciferian name game. [Re: Damaeon96]
Drakein Offline

-Prologue of the Book of Lucifer (The Enlightenment)-
'''The Roman god, Lucifer, was the bearer of light, the spirit of the air, the personification of enlightenment. In Christian mythology he became synonymous with evil, which was only to have been expected from a religion whose very existence is perpetuated by clouded definitions and bogus values! It is time to set the record straight. False moralisms and occult inaccuracies must be corrected. Entertaining as they might be, most stories and plays about Devil worship must be recognized as the obsolete absurdities they are. It has been said "the truth will make men free". The truth alone has never set anyone free. It is only DOUBT which will bring mental emancipation. Without the wonderful element of doubt, the doorway through which truth passes would be tightly shut, impervious to the most strenuous poundings of a thousand Lucifers. How understandable that Holy Scripture should refer to the Infernal monarch as the "father of lies" - a magnificent example of character inversion. If one is to believe this theological accusation that the Devil represents falsehood, then it surely must be concurred that it was he, not God, that established all spiritual religions and who wrote all of the Holy Bibles. When one doubt is followed by another, the bubble, grown large from long accumulated fallacies, threatens to burst. For those who already doubt supposed truths, this book is revelation. Then Lucifer will have risen. Now is the time for doubt! The bubble of falsehood is bursting and its sound is the roar of the world.'''

Which can remind one of Ephesians 2:2 "Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience"

#305175 - 02/09/08 08:35 AM Re: Luciferian name game. [Re: verszou]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
 Originally Posted By: verszou
Also try to compare with the myth of Prometheus who stole the secret of fire from the gods and gave it to men, for which he was punished by them.

And for giving a gift to mankind, Prometheus was punished by being nailed to a wall and left to slowly die, until by the will of his father the sky god (Zeus), he was resurrected to sit at his side. Too bad Greece can't sue the Vatican for copyright infringement!

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ▄bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#305177 - 02/09/08 08:41 AM Re: Luciferian name game. [Re: Bill_M]
phoenixrisen Offline

Loc: Manchester, England
 Originally Posted By: Bill_M
 Originally Posted By: verszou

And for giving a gift to mankind, Prometheus was punished by being nailed to a wall and left to slowly die, until by the will of his father the sky god (Zeus), he was resurrected to sit at his side.

I thought he was freed by Hercules?

She's not little, no minion like me--
That's why she ensnared him.

- The Laboratory by Robert Browning

#305179 - 02/09/08 08:48 AM Re: Luciferian name game. [Re: phoenixrisen]
Never Offline

Loc: Skien, Norway
Green mythology is so awesome \:D

I think he was hung from a mountain, as you said, Bill_M, but there also was this bird to pick on his eyes, or something.

Or is that from the Norse - I don`t recall for sure.

#305196 - 02/09/08 10:01 AM Re: Luciferian name game. [Re: Never]
phoenixrisen Offline

Loc: Manchester, England
 Originally Posted By: Never
Green mythology is so awesome \:D

I think he was hung from a mountain, as you said, Bill_M, but there also was this bird to pick on his eyes, or something.

Or is that from the Norse - I don`t recall for sure.

No, you're correct. He was chained to a rock/mountain and there was a vulture (or eagle?) which came to eat his liver everyday. But as Prometheus was immortal, his liver would grow back overnight.

She's not little, no minion like me--
That's why she ensnared him.

- The Laboratory by Robert Browning

#305203 - 02/09/08 10:27 AM Re: Luciferian name game. [Re: phoenixrisen]
Drakein Offline

It was an eagle, Zeus' symbol.

#305247 - 02/09/08 12:54 PM Re: Luciferian name game. [Re: Bill_M]
Damaeon96 Offline
Banned

Loc: Kentucky
Symbolism was the whole point. I described it as the "mythos surrounding" instead of Satan being an actual deity. This is just an old arguement that needed some fresh perspective.

The similarities between mythology of any culture is astounding. If you compare Anglo-saxon mythology mixed with a touch of norse to catholocism it's very surprising. The first remnants of catholocism began to stir in northern Europe shortly after Christianity started to spread. Now if you compare druidic and celtic traditions with that of the catholic church, the only real difference is in the dramatis personae.

"Here's to hell. May the stay there be as fun as the way there!" - Groucho Marx

#305307 - 02/09/08 08:23 PM About Lucifer, "Luciferians", and a lil bit of history for fun.. [Re: Damaeon96]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

The title of my post is about something I was just thinking about, I will explain this.

First, about this thread : as Warlock Bill_M has said, this is only symbolism after all, and I think that he has clearly answered to this thread. A debate with symbolism would be absolutely nonsense.

The expression "light-bringer" was also used in the first centuries 'after J.C' to refer to the Christ. This is only during the middle ages that that the Lucifer's name has been 'diabolized'.

In the Vulgate( the first edition of the bible in Latin by 'Saint JÚr˘me' ), this name is the transcription of the Hebrew word Heyel for "Morning star" ( which is Venus ).

Now what I meant about the title :

People claiming to be "Luciferians". Here they should open some books sometimes, as the answer is clearly in front of their eyes :

The Luciferianism is the schism provocated by the Bishop Saint Lucifer ( yes, he had this name) from Cagliari, year 370.

So when you hear "hello, my name is Lord_Manson_666_Cradleoffilth*, and I am a Luciferian", you can laugh.

(* : this nickname is ONLY a random example and is a GENERAL point. Please, no one take it personally and bite my ass, I have dealt with this enough 2 years ago .... \:D \:D ).

Out of topic, but for the history's sake ( because I have read few things about celts around here, etc ) :

many things have been stolen by Christians ( anyway, all religions take from others and so on.. ), like the cross itself for example. The cross, symbolically speaking once again, was the representation of Fire and Water ( I know I had already spoken about this here, but hmm...I dig it? ) \:D :

in this "Holy bible", you will notice this passage about the Christ walking on water, and this sentence "the spirit above water". This is just another "aesthetic" to this symbolic pagan's cross which represents these 2 elements ( I'm not talking about the celtic cross) :"holy spirit" (vertical ) represented by the fire - look at the old paintings above this Christ's head, and Water ( horizontal ).

Now, if you follow the history : when Christians went to convert the celts, some accepted it, and this is why the Celtic Cross changed into a "Christian Cross/Celtic Cross".. This :

Same as the vikings : when Christianity was around, some felt a dilemma, and this is how this pendant has been created and worn by those concerned : a Thor's hammer with a cross and a knife into the same ring ( the knife representing the dilemma )-sorry , didn't find any picture..

It can be neverending, look at Shiva :

and this now :

VoilÓ, this was my 2 Frenchy cents

Edited by Assabrah (02/10/08 01:59 AM)

Forum Stats
11891 Members
73 Forums
43637 Topics
404147 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements