Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#304765 - 02/07/08 04:07 PM Re: Is emotion a strength or a weakness? [Re: LightAngel]
Darkahn Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
 Originally Posted By: LightAngel
 Originally Posted By: Shegeek

Buuut seriously, I think if we all wandered around like cyborgs the world wouldn't be nearly as creative

I agree...

One of the biggest issues I have with Objectivism (from what I've read so far) is that Rand's only problem with Nietzsche was his focus on emotions, whereas she emphasizes (again, from what I have read, and I may be totally wrong overall) pure logic and "reason".

The biggest problem with "throwing out emotion", in theoretical fictions, is that they always lose their ingenuity.

One could argue Tesla threw out the idea of romantic love, from what we know -- but one could equally retort with that his true love seemed to be his work.

To me, it is neither a strength nor weakness, unless taken to an extreme -- and then, whether it is a strength or weakness depends entirely on the situation, and one's perspective.

Undercroft

#304794 - 02/07/08 06:02 PM Re: Is emotion a strength or a weakness? [Re: Darkahn]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
 Originally Posted By: Darkahn

One of the biggest issues I have with Objectivism (from what I've read so far) is that Rand's only problem with Nietzsche was his focus on emotions, whereas she emphasizes (again, from what I have read, and I may be totally wrong overall) pure logic and "reason".

That's why I like Nietzsche. One thing I appreciate about Rand is that she stated that any decision made contrary to self-interest is unethical.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#305060 - 02/08/08 09:06 PM Re: Is emotion a strength or a weakness? [Re: LightAngel]
Hiram007 Offline

Originally Posted By: LightAngel
 Originally Posted By: Shegeek

Buuut seriously, I think if we all wandered around like cyborgs the world wouldn't be nearly as creative

I agree...

Ooh, are all you Danishes as hot as you, or are you just special? Your burning with brimstone.

#305074 - 02/08/08 10:12 PM Re: Is emotion a strength or a weakness? [Re: Hiram007]
Risen08 Offline
CoS Member

I think Satanism is changing me for the better.

For example:

I work in a major transportation hub. There are a LOT of homeless. Not the family that's down on their luck, but the smelly hardcore drug addled/psychotic dregs. They are constantly begging for money. I used to feel sorry for them, now it's anger. I told him to take a hike and stared at him until he left. I felt no guilt. I think I'm evolving. Kindness to those who deserve it. I'm tired of leeches.

Hail Satan

#305078 - 02/08/08 10:26 PM Re: Is emotion a strength or a weakness? [Re: Hiram007]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: Hiram007
Ooh, are all you Danishes as hot as you, or are you just special?

I think you'll find that it's "danes". Danish is a pastry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_pastry

the pastries are pretty hot when they leave the oven though - but mostly brimstone is not an ingredient

#305094 - 02/09/08 12:29 AM Re: Is emotion a strength or a weakness? [Re: Seeker Of Wisdom]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
 Quote:
I know that Satanism embraces emotions unlike the "cold fish" out there, but is there a point where you have to much emotion?

Do you make value judgments based on consequences or intentions? Once you have determined this, the answer should be obvious.

#305191 - 02/09/08 09:38 AM Re: Is emotion a strength or a weakness? [Re: verszou]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: verszou
 Originally Posted By: Hiram007
Ooh, are all you Danishes as hot as you, or are you just special?

I think you'll find that it's "danes". Danish is a pastry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_pastry

the pastries are pretty hot when they leave the oven though - but mostly brimstone is not an ingredient

Thanks for the laugh dear

#305252 - 02/09/08 01:12 PM Re: Is emotion a strength or a weakness? [Re: Darkahn]
LightAngel Offline

Pure logic and reason are characteristics of a machine. And the machine does what a machine does, without enjoyment and/or pleasure.

All art for instance, is nothing..... if it has no emotion.

The best comparison here would be a comparison of a painting and a photograph. Although the photograph may be more accurate, reasonable and logical, the painting is the one that has emotional intensity, and that's what gives it an impact.

An artist sees in nature that what is hidden, and captures it – putting the emotions on canvas, and a camera cannot do that.

I don't see how one could be extremely emotional. I see reason and emotions both as an ideal synergy – emotions give reason a meaning, and reason gives emotions protection. How they work together is an entirely different story.

#305344 - 02/09/08 10:59 PM Re: Is emotion a strength or a weakness? [Re: LightAngel]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
 Quote:
I don't see how one could be extremely emotional.

Intense emotions are the key to magic. I personally allow myself to experience my emotions to whatever intensity the moment calls for if I feel it would benefit me. Sometimes it is malevolent anger, sever anguish or the elated ecstasy of happiness. It can be cathartic to experience an emotion so intensely.

When I am out and about among others you couldn't tell that I may have been, just hours before, pacing around in a fervor and untying my emotional knots.

Allowing distractions to divert my attention from my personal needs can result in such an emotional buildup. I find that being creative circumvents buildup and keeps me healthy.

#305681 - 02/11/08 11:55 AM Re: Is emotion a strength or a weakness? [Re: TheNaturalForce]
LightAngel Offline

Creativity is definitely a good way to avoid emotional buildups

Through canvas, or words, or by whatever other means – the creator can convey the emotions from her/his heart. And in this way – art is a fantastic phenomenon.......... different emotions give rise to different creations, taking into account, of course, that the artist is putting his or her heart into the art.

In this way, emotions can be sublimed from one form into another, that is why creativity is very healthy.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43980 Topics
406037 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements