Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#30579 - 03/09/04 10:13 AM A rose by any other name?
DavidP Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Arizona
I always wonder when I see Satanists refrain from using certain words. For example, I often see the word "xtian" instead of "christian". I wonder why some do this, are they too lazy to type the entire word? Are they afraid to use the word, for one reason or another?
(Niether of those traits are very Satanic in my opinion)

No mythologic name or image holds any sort of reverence for me (except in the ritual chamber, and then it's a conscious choice....I could even choose to use my own name if the fancy struck me)

On one site, I even saw the word "xtoid", now even fully spelled out "christoid", this makes no sense to me whatsoever. Is this another created word like "wiccan" that someone is trying to introduce to an already intellectually lacking society and it's pollitically corect vocabulary?

Why should we, as Satanist, worry about possibly offending christians, or especially othr Satanists by using the word "christian"?

Edited by DavidP (03/09/04 10:24 AM)

#30580 - 03/09/04 10:21 AM Re: A rose by any other name? [Re: DavidP]
Mr_Scary Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Colorado springs, Colorado
I agree with you, but some Satanists tend to be less bold than others. All I would suggest to you, no offense intended, is to check your spelling. I had a friend that once told me that it was hard to take another persons writing seriously if it is not correct.
Hail Satan and be BOLD
Scary

#30581 - 03/09/04 10:23 AM Re: A rose by any other name? [Re: Mr_Scary]
DavidP Offline
CoS Member

My mistake...I have been awake for 27 hours, just came off a long nights work and wanted to get the stuff down before i went to bed.

#30582 - 03/09/04 11:00 AM Re: A rose by any other name? [Re: DavidP]
RobertE Offline

Loc: Michigan
How is being lazy "un-Satanic" when Sloth is one of the 7 virtues by which one should enjoy life?
There is no Hank. You are Karl. Make your own list as you see fit. Eat as many wieners as you want, any way you want, even with a large group of consenting individuals if you want! Take pride in your wiener-eating. Make up large, elaborate ceremonies revolving around the kissing of your own ass, having them photographed and videotaped by the media if possible.

#30583 - 03/09/04 11:06 AM Re: A rose by any other name? [Re: RobertE]
DavidP Offline
CoS Member

Lazy can equal stupid when the material to learn has been around since 1968, and the person doesn't take the time to read about what they are pretending to be.

#30584 - 03/09/04 11:22 AM Re: A rose by any other name? [Re: DavidP]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>>material to learn has been around since 1968<<

Why? What exactly happened in 1968 then, Mr DavidP?

I mean apart from "2001 - A Space Odyssey" and the assassinations of Martin Luther and Robert Kennedy.

What is it specifically that happened in this year are you refering to?

#30585 - 03/09/04 11:29 AM Re: A rose by any other name? [Re: DavidP]
sCara Offline

Quote:

Why should we, as Satanist, worry about possibly offending christians, or especially othr Satanists by using the word "christian"?

I don't think some type Christian as Xtian because they are "afraid of possibly offending" anyone. I think most mean it as a blatant offense. One way to see it is that there is a big bold X (as in crossing something out} there. I personally just type Christian. I have been known to type XXXmas, however, as that gives a clearer description of how I approach said holiday..

#30586 - 03/09/04 11:30 AM The Most Important Event in History!!! [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mr. Mullah,

He must be referring to my birth in the year 1968!!! I must be his idol.

#30587 - 03/09/04 11:35 AM Re: A rose by any other name? [Re: DavidP]
sCara Offline

Quote:

Lazy can equal stupid..

By using can, you will surely agree that this is but one interpretation.

What I think RobertE means is that the so-called Seven Deadly Sins are more of a checks and balances for the Satanist.

#30588 - 03/09/04 11:55 AM Re: A rose by any other name? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
DavidP Offline
CoS Member

okay....1969.

My point still stands.

#30589 - 03/09/04 11:56 AM Re: A rose by any other name? [Re: DavidP]
sCara Offline

Quote:

My point still stands.

How?

#30590 - 03/09/04 12:03 PM Re: A rose by any other name? [Re: DavidP]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
That's just a mater of personal tastes. I don't like to use that kind of abbreviations, because I like to call things by their names. I always spell Christian, Christmas...

I must also say this way to speak is not unique of Satanists (or even pseudo-Satanists) Christians themselves use the abbreviated form "Marry Xmas" in greeting cards and they don't intend it as offensive.

Also, the most important event that happened in 1968, besides the ones mentioned above, was my arrival to this planet.

#30591 - 03/09/04 12:05 PM Re: A rose by any other name? [Re: DavidP]
MagisterRose Offline
CoS Magister

Don't read too much into these things. Xian or Xtian is a contraction for Christian. Nothing more than a way of dropping a few keystrokes while conveying the same idea. Just like Xmas. There is no fear of the word or concern at offending anyone involved.

The good die young... because they see it's no use living if you've got to be good.
John Barrymore

HARDCOVER INFERNALIA

PAPERBACK INFERNALIA

HARDCOVER KASIDAH

PAPERBACK KASIDAH

#30592 - 03/09/04 12:34 PM Re: A rose by any other name? [Re: DavidP]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Some people have a sense of humor.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#30593 - 03/09/04 12:46 PM The pope says... [Re: DavidP]
Shiboleth Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
...its OK! X corresponds with the Greek letter kristos if I'm not mistaken it therefore fits. Besides as I said the pope says its ok, he has even used it on occasion as shorthand. Another thing Satanists think is Satanic is really Christian or Xian is the inverted cross. St. Peter didn't want to be crucified right side up or so the story goes because he felt it would be an affront to Jesus. So they did him upside down. If you take a close look at the pope's chair, you'll see an inverted cross on it. Thats why many American Xian sects see catholics as not Xian because they don't know any better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12098 Members
73 Forums
43863 Topics
405471 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements