Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#299822 - 01/20/08 09:34 AM Re: Revenge vs. Productivity [Re: hellbent666]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
 Quote:
My philosophy with violence is that if you can't talk reason into someone then fighting about it physically isn't going to accomplish anything either.

History proves your philosophy wrong.

Quote:
What do you guys and gals think?

I think you could benefit from broadening your scope of what constitutes revenge.

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#299830 - 01/20/08 10:21 AM Productive Revenge [Re: hellbent666]
StabAvery Offline

CoS Member

Loc: michigan
If we started executing all life sentences and chopping off the hands of thieves, you would be surprised at how fast society would clean their act up. We would also have a lot more money to use for more productive goals instead of feeding useless people. In this case it would be quite productive to seek more revenge.

#299838 - 01/20/08 10:36 AM Re: Productive Revenge [Re: StabAvery]
ShadowDragon Offline

Loc: Where I have Always Been
 Originally Posted By: slvrrain
If we started executing all life sentences and chopping off the hands of thieves, you would be surprised at how fast society would clean their act up. We would also have a lot more money to use for more productive goals instead of feeding useless people. In this case it would be quite productive to seek more revenge.

I like this post, and the "Test Monkey" post.

To Light a Candle,is to Cast a Shadow.

#299841 - 01/20/08 10:44 AM Re: Revenge vs. Productivity [Re: hellbent666]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Loc: Florida
 Quote:
Ok, here are some statistics from some one (me) that just did some time in prison.

And here are some opinions---which I believe is what you asked for, from someone who advocates revenge as moral and ethical justice.

As for your perspective, it is tainted. Drug laws are laws. Stupid, over-priced, doesn't matter. Evidently, instead of using your power to persuade legislature, joining drug-law repeal orgs, or moving to fucking Amsterdam, you got your ass busted. Forgive me if I find it hard to believe that you were sitting quietly in your living room smoking a joint, minding your own business, and the gestapo came crashing in and sent you to prison, not jail mind you, but prison. Busted.

Well, that sucks for you, and it sucks for me, since my tax dollars help pay for it. It sucks all the way around. Boo hoo.

Why it spurred some crisis of anti-faith for you regarding punishment and revenge is beyond my scope.

Revenge is the best teacher of actions having consequences that I know. We can call it what we want--punishment, re-direction, rehabilitation, but essentially it is all the same thing: Consequences for being a douche.

For that consequence to have a lasting impression that benefits both the offender and society, it has to hurt. Bad.

Your confusion about what constitutes revenge is based on limited imagination. It is only the very small minded who believe that one has to risk their own freedom to exact brutal revenge. I can do more damage to a person without leaving my house than I can kicking his ass.

Quote:
I wasn't asking for validation from you guys/gals, but merely asking your opinions. This is an environment where you are supposed to give your opnions! Excuse me for being curious.

You lie. You are looking for validation or you wouldn't be so threatened by the opinions you sought.

Y~

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#299844 - 01/20/08 11:11 AM Re: Revenge vs. Productivity [Re: hellbent666]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Ohio
"We, we, we..."

Your first mistake is making the assumption that Satanists are a group of people who espouse a group opinion on matters political and philosophical (outside of the basic bedrock of Satanism itself).

As Satanism is a religion which promotes the individual, it should be expected that each person will harbor his own ideas and motives, and that individuals are bound to express differing interpretations of what constitutes "right" and "wrong."

If you are looking for blind agreement, especially given your special circumstances, you've come to the wrong place. You are much more likely to encounter challenging, knowledgeable argument than collectivist pity parties and feel-good consensus.

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski

#299845 - 01/20/08 11:12 AM Re: Revenge vs. Productivity [Re: hellbent666]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
 Originally Posted By: hellbent666
I thought Satanists were free thinkers because we subscribe to individualism.

Free thinkers are people who look at issues without regard to ANY doctrine or creed or dogma.

Satanists are INDIVIDUALS who recognize their own ideas in the writings of Anton LaVey.

"Free Thinker", like the "good Guy Badge", is often a smoke screen for thinking or doing what one wants with little to no regard for the implications.

Is a Satanist a free thinker? In some cases, yes.

Is Satanism synonymous with Free Thinker? No.

Quote:
I though we were intelligent people hence the quote from an intelligent man.

Simularly, Satanism and intelligence are not synonymnous. Many intelligent people are not Satanists. Satanist vary in inteligence.

Quote:
Do we propagate stupidity or do we break the cycle?

Wonderful question. It touches the core of the Satanic agenda.

Quote:
I think agreeing with the death penalty could be considered falling into another herd or a herd theory

As could any unthought out conclusion. I stated my reason for not giving my opinion on the issue.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#299846 - 01/20/08 11:27 AM Re: Revenge vs. Productivity [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Seeker Of Wisdom Offline

Loc: Buckholts, Tx
 Quote:
I think agreeing with the death penalty could be considered falling into another herd or a herd theory

And disagreeing with the death penalty doesn't fall into herd conformity? I guess I can see the individualism in those large masses of picket sign protestors(please add sarcastic tone). You seem to have a bleeding heart mentality Mr. Hellbent666. I believe thay are to lenient on drug offenders.

"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere."
Groucho Marx

"Sex is legal, Selling is legal, why isn't selling sex legal?"
George Carlin

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"~ The Addams Family Crede

"We all have different desires and needs, but if we don't discover what we want from ourselves and what we stand for, we will live passively and unfulfilled."
Bill Watterson

#299893 - 01/20/08 02:33 PM Re: Revenge vs. Productivity [Re: hellbent666]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
There is another issue here. This is not directly related to the original post; nor is it pointed to the original poster. It is general.

From time to time, someone comes here, wondering if they are a Satanist. What does that question mean? For some, it means that they want to be a Satanist. The reasons for this are as numerous as the questioner. Perhaps they see strength in the philosophy. Maybe they want to scare people by being evil. Often, they are simply seeking an identity. Their question is basically asking if they can tweak themselves here, and squeeze through there, and still, "technically", be called a Satanist. They are looking for the menu.

Others may, or may not be Satanists. They are generally conscientious. There is an issue they are not sure about...magic, the ego being their god or perhaps the application of lex talionis. These are usualy cordial individuals. Some are and some are not. No big deal...to us or them.

Then there are those who have no problem seeing their philosophy echoed in The Satanic Bible. They do not try to change Satanism to fit them. If these individuals saw that they were not in line with our philosophy, they will wisely move along.

It is like human tetris. One is either the correct shape to be classifified a Satanist or they are not. Simple.

There is "The Satanic view" on some issues. Lex talionis is one of those things. No debate. It would be dandy if everyone got along, no one was hungry and nobody ever got sick and died. That is not the world we live in. The Satanist sees this and carries the bigger stick.

Politics is another issue. Every Satanist follows lex talionis. It is not something to believe. It is the Satanic way. The same for the facts of stratification, personal responsibilty and that there is no higher purpose in life other than to enjoy it. This is the Satanic view. How we individually work these out are politics, life-style and pragmatics.

This is my final post in this thread.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#299904 - 01/20/08 03:01 PM Re: Revenge vs. Productivity [Re: hellbent666]
Lust Offline

Because you replied to me, which I think you do at random, I will respond to you one last time. Everything you have ever said since your arrival here at Letters to the Devil, has been a waste of my time reading. It is my opinion that you are nothing but a shit disturber! I can almost see you behind the computer at a local library taking delight in slinging your poo here. With that said, welcome to my ignore list.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#300026 - 01/20/08 11:30 PM Re: Revenge vs. Productivity [Re: Lust]
hellbent666 Offline
Banned

Loc: Colorado
My answer to the fight or turn the other cheek question is this...just like every animal on the planet if backed into a corner then I will fight. If given an option to fight or walk away I will walk away. If given the option to be a productive person that doesn't fit the mold or do what every other human animal does I will naturally go against the grain. Violence in a perfect world would only be a reasonable avenue if it was life or death and that is my philosophy. Kill or be killed? Hell yeah I'm gonna defend myself! Not every encounter will be classified in those black and white spectrums though because when dealing with unstable people there are a lot of grey areas as well.

If we're talking about base instincts then self preservation is our highest of all instincts, is it not? Then why would you without question violate your physical well being just because your pride was injured? Who gives a fuck?! Call me whatever you want, civilian police me if you want to because I'm sure the moderators don't like me either but just utilize your greatest tool and that is DOUBT. Talk to Nemo, he'll tell you all about it, in fact I think he has an essay somewhere... So, on the topic of doubt shouldn't we question our first responses to things and evaluate whether or not they are going to be beneficial to us? Being pummeled by someone is not what I call making a good logical decision on behalf of your physical sanctity. And don't try to puff out your chests at me and think that you are the toughest person in the world because there is always gonna be someone bigger and badder than you.

I however am a skinny, introverted dude and realize this as a flaw. The issue with me is that I'm such a genuinely nice person that no one really thinks about kicking my ass because I adhere to the rule of "When in open territory bother no one. If some one bothers you then politely ask them to stop. If they do not stop then destroy them." There are a few ways to interpret this. My first interpretation of this rule of the earth is mind your own business and if someone fucks with you then tell them to mind their own business. Then if they start to freak out on you then make an example out of them by "trying" to kick their ass. But remember that society is composed of nosey neighbors and will usually call the cops and someone will innevitably get charges out of it. A better and more productive way to handle this is carry mace or a stun gun if you are legally permitted to do so. I had a friend in prison who got 16 years for self defense that ended in death so maybe you should DOUBT literally interpreting the words "destroy". The law does not always work to your favor and usually doesn't care who is more guilty. Be careful!

So what if I'm a bleeding heart! I think a lot of people lack in the compassion department, but that doesn't make me any less of a satanist. It gives me satisfaction to know that I'm genuinely nice to people and therefore indulging. Some of you are so stuck on thinking that just because a small percentage of xian people are decent, caring people that this is a negative quality to have. It is a revered quality to posess. No one likes hanging out with ass holes! Except maybe me because I am repeatedly put on the defensive by SOME of you. Empty posturing is strongly cautioned against in our literature so why are you under the impression that you are a macho tough guy? Not everyone is a fighter and not everyone is the alpha male. Some of you are more than likely just Beta males with aspirations of Alpha male-hood. Whatever floats your boat.

Ygraine, even though we don't see eye to eye on a lot of things I thought your post was awesome! No, the gestapo didn't come barging into my house and catch me smoking a joint, it was much more than that. I was being an idiot and got caught and given chance after chance after chance, so by no fault of anyone elses I did some time. Am I trying to clean this up and minimalize what I did, hell no. Are drug laws retarded, hell yeah! I'm not playing a victim but you are also responsible for laws being passed under your nose that could even make you a criminal of something. It is very easy to be considered a criminal, just look at the patriot act if you want to see how easy it is for the government you support to screw you on a whim.

Pacifism....hmmmm....I'm not a pacifist because I will fight when I absolutely have to. Is pacifism a bad thing, nope. Those people have a better grasp of self preservation than I do! If everyone was like them (which is not very likely) the world would be way cooler and easier for everyone to get along. Are most of us misanthropists, yes. I do not trust people at all except my family and friends and I use caution when dealing with them. Remember that poser Satanists use their title as a reason to be dicks to people. There is such a thing as common courtesy!

#300029 - 01/21/08 12:53 AM Re: Revenge vs. Productivity [Re: hellbent666]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Post deleted out of restraint from banana tossing.

Edited by Phosis (01/21/08 01:06 AM)

#300031 - 01/21/08 01:10 AM Re: Revenge vs. Productivity [Re: TheDegenerate]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
I admire your restraint, but it's a damn shame you pulled the fangs out of your post.

They were very pointy.

#300034 - 01/21/08 01:44 AM Re: Revenge vs. Productivity [Re: RandomStranger]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
I would just be promoting more zoo-ish behaviour anyways, from an ever expanding intellectual blackhole. If he wants to carry on the self-deceit of his pseudo-Satanism, far be it for me to tell him otherwise.

He will either continue to label himself incorrectly, leading to more minor conflicts with real Satanists, (inluding more inane jabber and pointless "discussions" ) Or "figure it out" someday, and be happier, much better off.

Sadly, I don't really care which of these happens, as he is comfortably on my ignore list now.

Edited by Phosis (01/21/08 01:49 AM)

#300038 - 01/21/08 02:56 AM Re: Revenge vs. Productivity [Re: TheDegenerate]
shadowraven213 Offline

I often make snap judgments about people and more often than not they're quite accurate.

You never get a second chance to make a first impression but I give people a chance for a while until they prove my first hypothesis correct.

I was kind of surprised to see it works even here, I hardly read a few posters messages anymore and mr hellbent is one of them.

Good to know I am not alone.

#300041 - 01/21/08 03:22 AM Re: Revenge vs. Productivity [Re: shadowraven213]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
Yes, after some time it can be easy to predict how such and such poster is going to react to a certain topic or post, in terms of attitude and delivery at least. I think this is true for anyone that you know well enough.

As you've stated, first impressions can tell a lot about a person. Generally I enjoy associating with honest and comfortable people and I can usually tell right away whether or not one is.

I am selective at times over whose posts I read, other times, if the topic is fresh, I will likely read every post.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12254 Members
73 Forums
44034 Topics
406358 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements