Topic Options
#306690 - 02/14/08 01:28 PM The spell of silence
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
I hated high school.

Not because of the classes, not because of lunchtime jackassery, or because other kids or teachers were "mean." They weren't, really.

I hated it because the only interesting time I ever had was when me and a friend made a film in media class called "Johnny Karate." It was a silent film, black and white, like the days of Chaplin, with those fancy text boxes that would pop up to indicate who was talking, and music creating acting as not only the backing track, but also sound effects...only we used metal and guitar licks...and it was about aliens fighting ninjas, or something.

My friend was a loner. At first to be perfectly honest, I assumed he was a homosexual, and went on with life. He always wore pink, and moved elegantly, and enjoyed creating "deep" paintings in art class.

We began talking due to a mutual interest in Dune, and Dreamcast emulation. He introduced me to J-rock, and other wierd shit, and I can pretty easily say I was his only friend, aside from a few dudes he had chummed around with in elementary that just happened to still be hanging around.

We had another common interest as well, which was that the majority of everyone else around us acted simply as fodder for our black sense of humour. As the years went on in school, we isolated ourselves more and more, and became known as something of a team.

This guy has the innate ability to invoke a sense of WONDER in anyone who crossed his path. Everyone knew him, and thought he was a cool cat, a mysterious stranger of sorts, who they instantly felt comfortable around. If only they knew that he thought they were practically all pigs...he was able to work his own breed of lesser magic better then I ever could back then. It would take many more years to discover the secret of his trade, how to inspire that certain awe.

Silence.

This guy knew, and KNOWS, how to do one thing very very well...shut the fuck up. He and I talk like crazy when we get together, still, and I always quirked an eye when one of his starstruck fans would approach him nervously in school to say hello...he himself would even joke "Yeah, I'm like a fucking movie star or something." and we would have a laugh about it.

But he held a power over these people.

I was similar to him at the time, but far too brazen and cynical. I didn't rant to anyone but him or what few other friends I had, but I was vocally hateful. Because of my association with him, I was known as a "sidekick", and had a similar effect near the end, but not quite in the same way. I am noticing it however a lot more lately. People are suddenly so damn interested in me, at work, and wherever else. The same question he had while he was up too it is one I ask as well..."Why?" But the answer is as clear as the very teachings of lesser magic, which unfortunately, my friend was not aware of at the time.

Just a personal relation to my experiences practicing magic...sometimes it has nothing to do with uttering curses or spells...sometimes the most potent spell is utter silence.

#307031 - 02/15/08 02:47 PM Re: The spell of silence [Re: TheDegenerate]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

;\)

#307087 - 02/15/08 07:08 PM Re: The spell of silence [Re: Maqlu]
inverted Offline

Loc: Ohio
A lot of people I know fear silence, as though it is somehow the harbinger of something negative. I don't know what that is, though. *shrug* I never understood it myself; I seldom experience silences that aren't comfortable, and much prefer it to needless commentary. I always enjoyed Bill Hicks' response to people who told him it takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile: "Well, did you know it takes more muscles to point that out than to leave me alone?"

#307117 - 02/15/08 09:06 PM Re: The spell of silence [Re: inverted]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

Silence forces them to live with their own thoughts. Most people prefer not to have any.

#307162 - 02/15/08 11:03 PM Re: The spell of silence [Re: Maqlu]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
 Originally Posted By: Maqlu
Silence forces them to live with their own thoughts. Most people prefer not to have any.

\:D

That, sir, was awesome.

#307229 - 02/16/08 04:38 AM Re: The spell of silence [Re: TheDegenerate]
Starless Pixie Offline

Loc: Missouri
You have really opened my eyes, Phosis. I can relate to your friend on several levels. Not claiming to have a huge fan base or anything, but I get along with literally everyone at work and am VERY quiet. I used to think it was a curse that I have the inability to talk the way a lot of people do, but perhaps its more a gift.

When I say inability to talk, I don't mean my tongue is deformed or anything- rather I have a mental block. I can intend to say " I disagree completely, I went to a public school and never had any trouble with my teachers." but all that comes out is , " my teachers were fine." And I tense up as everyone gasps that I said anything at all.

It's part anxiety and part mental scrambling. If a person had walked into the room at the same time I was saying that statement, and they were wearing a shirt with a duck on it, chances are I would see the duck and say " my teachers were ducks." If I am able to control my thought-to-speech, my words usually come out rather stuttery and broken.

#307435 - 02/16/08 08:21 PM Re: The spell of silence [Re: TheDegenerate]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
Silence is powerful in many contexts. I am a quiet person for the most part. I don't find comfort in constantly running at the mouth in pointless conversation, I find my thoughts are more enriching than following current events for the mere purpose of talking. I do however enjoy some good talks with certain people.

It is true though that silence can attract curious people. I find that those who are not afraid to approach me tend to be the people I enjoy interacting with. Being genuinely comfortable with oneself causes unease in herdlings. I suppose my silence in addition to my physique and natural expression can be intimidating.

#307480 - 02/17/08 12:09 AM Re: The spell of silence [Re: TheDegenerate]
Colonel Kurtz Offline
CoS Member

I have found that the less I talk, the more others do. I begin with the "OK's", "oh yeah's", and "really". I don't know if this qualifies as small talk, but it allows me the time to size them up.

Body language is a lot louder. A strong posture and minimizing facial expressions seems to equal silence.

#307488 - 02/17/08 12:42 AM Yes. [Re: TheDegenerate]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Exactly.

#307674 - 02/18/08 02:12 AM Re: The spell of silence [Re: TheDegenerate]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Loc: Florida
They say silence is golden.

I too, have had to learn saying nothing is the most powerful weapon I have.
I've always known it's best to keep silence, but not untill recently has it been so important to me.
However this is one of few places I've been that clearly identifies the act as lesser magic.

The mystery is what draws the herd in. They have to know if your as different as you act. They seem to be attracted to anything that takes the attention off them.

If you don't want the attention don't give anything away. They'll get board easily and leave you alone if they think you have nothing of interest for them.

If you want the attention lead them along only ever saying just enough to keep them wanting more. If everything you say is well thought out, your not just quite your calculating.

I'm the calculating type but to keep the herd a bay small talk not just silence goes along way. The weather is the one subject anyone can comment on, and it's boring.

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406365 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements