Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#307892 - 02/18/08 08:59 PM Re: new member [Re: Adveser]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
 Quote:
I wouldn't say all that. I personally was very confused because the media and every single thing published outside of the Church Of Satan and its members was telling me different

Quote:
because I was in High School and had no money to buy the books myself at the time.

My story is the same.
But instead I just SAVED SOME MONEY and got the SB.
From Amazon no less, because they don't even sell it here in Israel. Which made it a hell of a lot more complicated.

Quote:
I stand by my comment, especially if someone does not have the command of english that everyone else enjoys.

Sheesh, you just had to see my English when I got here- not very good at all.

And yet I got the literature, read it, understood it, and didn't have to ask any Hierarchy members for help whatsoever.

So it CAN be done. You just have to decide to do it on your own, instead of wasting other people's time.

Quote:
Showing the slightest bit of naivete or misunderstanding something seems to elicit insults and scorn when it really isn't necessary.

If you really can't deal with the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Most often, those who get scorned at are those who deserved it. If they'd learn from it instead of whining about it, they'd actually progress.

HOWEVER, yes, I agree there is some amount of completely excessive and unnecessary "bullying" and Modrating from a few people here; and that should just be ignored- that's reality, there are assholes everywhere.
Newbies should be given a better chance to get the hang of things, and that's why I'm glad the introduction forum is gone.

#308026 - 02/19/08 09:47 AM Re: new member [Re: The_Lightning]
Adveser Offline

Loc: California
I wasn't aware that everyone that chooses to participate in the Q&A forum was wasting everyones time. That would seem like the opposite of Satanism. I am not trying to argue the finer points, but I am quite sure the board is set up the way it is because generally wise people ask for help when they need it instead of perpetuating misinformation. I am certain that is why the people that spend their time answering those questions do so. Of course if it is obvious someone has not done their home work and the answers are easily obtained they will answer as such as they often do. The Church of Satan as I have perceived it through their public facilities seems more intent on getting the right information in the hands of those who can and will utilize it. I'm sure if the Church of Satan really wanted everything that simple their home page would be a link to the amazon.com site for the Satanic Bible and not much else. Instead there are a lot of resources out there that a lot of people spend a great deal of time putting together. There is a good reason for that.

#308207 - 02/20/08 01:58 AM Re: new member [Re: Adveser]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

99% of the questioned asked in that forum are:

a) Answered within our available literature.
b) Commonsense answers.
c) Ludicrous.
d) Irrelevant.

Contrary to what some may think, neither I nor any of the Priesthood who fields those questions has undergone any special training. I don't have access to any insider literature. I wasn't even around for most of the Church's history. I just have eyes to see and pay attention, and that's all it takes to answer those questions.

Honestly I think we have that forum because if we didn't, folks would ask their question in the public forum and get retarded ass answers that would potentially reflect badly on the CoS.

Occasionally I'll get an interesting question, but they're a minority.

#308268 - 02/20/08 12:52 PM Re: new member [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Rainy Offline

Loc: US Florida Tampa Bay Area
When I first began reading the Satanic Bible, I found myself excited and intrigued about the philosophy and culture. I had this gittery need to find out everything I could. Here was a book that described parts of who I was inside, shared the opinions and outlook that I have always had. Certainly, I felt, there must be even more coming from this Man and his Church that would fill in even more of the puzzle.

I did not once come to LTTD, or the COS website in search of getting a person to answer my questions. I thought about doing that, but I knew that the answers were out there, and that as a Satanist (if that was indeed what I was), it was wholey my responsiblity to discover what I was looking for. In a Christian church, for instance, the clergy tells you more or less what the rules are, how to live, what your morals are, and what happens if you dont follow in line. But Satanism is clearly not this way. You decide your own path, which can make figuring out the structure and philosophy a bit confusing for the beginner.

So my advice for such people is this: get yourself ALL of Laveys books, the TSB, Rituals, The Satanic Witch, Satan Speaks, The Devils Notebook, and also Blanche Bartons Secret Life of a Satanist, The Church of Satan, and in the past few months more and more incredible essay books have been released, noteably Satanic Scriptures from Magus Gilmore. Also buy yourself a blank notepad. Read these books, and then read them again. Come here and eavesdrop on conversations. Take notes and write a journal about all the information you collect, points that you are unclear about, references you are unfamiliar with, and research those.

Before long (or maybe after long for some), you will begin to understand. And if you still dont, then a Satanist is most likely not who you are. But atleast the very least, you will have educated yourself, which is always a good thing.

Most questions about Satanism can not be answered for you. You have to find them yourself. It is a religion of the self, and none of us here know you well enough to answer for you.

Good luck! And as far a obtaining all these books, Amazon.com is a wonderful thing.

#308467 - 02/21/08 04:36 PM Re: new member [Re: Rainy]
phoenixrisen Offline

Loc: Manchester, England
Absolutely! I agree with all of your points, and it was very well-put.

You basically summed up the approach that I took. I am not even close to having read all of LaVey's works (although I am in the process of doing so) and I still have a few questions, but I will read and re-read until I find the answers. From what I've read from LaVey so far, it seems that if one page raises a question in my mind, the next page will answer it. Therefore there's really no need for me (or anyone else, really) to ask such questions here.

She's not little, no minion like me--
That's why she ensnared him.

- The Laboratory by Robert Browning

#308643 - 02/22/08 09:23 AM Re: new member [Re: Rainy]
Adveser Offline

Loc: California
Yeah right, most people will never understand why Satanism even exists let alone grasp the finer points. The fact of the matter is that you aren't going to know the questions until the answers are presented to you in regards to some of the finer points dealt with in the literature. All the books and every piece of them are like a big puzzle that most people won't even think to construct.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12116 Members
73 Forums
43873 Topics
405551 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements