Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#307307 - 02/16/08 11:55 AM Re: There! [Re: TrojZyr]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
 Quote:
I just see our understanding of human being--in this case, let's just focus on psychology--as being represented by a building that continuously has new stories and rooms added onto it.

I tend to think of it as a city with many different buildings. Each is building on its own foundation, and it may or may not be directly connected to any of the others. Business goes on between them, but only when you leave one building and take something from it to another. You can't have a whole city in just one building!

"Modernist art" means early 20th century stuff (broadly, stuff like Picasso or Mondrian). Adorno's main interest was music. The musician he took the greatest interest in, was Schoenberg.

Edited by reprobate (02/16/08 11:58 AM)

#307328 - 02/16/08 01:09 PM Re: There! [Re: reprobate]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I don't like Mondrian, and I only like Picasso in his blue period, and when he did "Guernica." \:\(

And I can't stand Schoenberg. Song birds apparently agree with me ;\) . http://www.therestisnoise.com/2007/10/sparrow-playlis.html

You can have a city, sure, as long as the different buildings are still interdependent. No discipline is (or should be) an island, after all. (My lone psychology building would be pretty ugly and unstable after a while.)

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#307335 - 02/16/08 01:47 PM Re: " OMG you don't vote? You're not American!" [Re: Starless Pixie]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
From a democratic (majority rules) perspective, aren't there now more qualified non-voters than registered actual voters in the US?

If so then that would mean that those who do vote are in the minority.

If being an "American" is defined by democratic group-think, then only non-voters would be true, red-blooded Americans by that standard. ;\)

Anyway, politics is for entertainment only for Nemo.

I have nothing further to say on this sport here.

Now back to the eternal parsing of defintions of "post-modernism" and other such arbitrary mental categories.

#307349 - 02/16/08 03:10 PM Re: There! [Re: TrojZyr]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
 Quote:
You can have a city, sure, as long as the different buildings are still interdependent. No discipline is (or should be) an island, after all. (My lone psychology building would be pretty ugly and unstable after a while.)

Sure - but that interdependence should only follow from what the different branches happen to actually need from one another, and NOT from a preconceived notion about how they SHOULD be related. (eg. "Science should talk about brain chemicals or evolution.")

I don't much care for Adorno's favorite art, either. And I don't much care for Adorno. I was just giving a survey of the territory.

Edited by reprobate (02/16/08 03:11 PM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Forum Stats
12254 Members
73 Forums
44035 Topics
406362 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements