Topic Options
#307692 - 02/18/08 07:17 AM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: I'mPerfecting]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

No purple shrouds and nikes.

#307694 - 02/18/08 07:32 AM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: DemonicAngel]
Grima Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I sometimes dress 'goth' because I simply like the aesthetics of it. On most days however I prefer three-piece suits because nothing says 'succesful' and 'good manners' more than that. It's all a matter of what you want out of it.

#307698 - 02/18/08 07:59 AM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: DemonicAngel]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
I think that in reality most Satanists are more like how Rosemary's Baby portrays them- they might be somewhat different than the general crowd but not necessarily Satanic-looking as the herd would expect.

I think blending in is a very vital trait in a lot of cases.
Like Schopenhauer said it (perhaps slightly paraphrased)- humans are like butter; you have to soften them to use them.
When you come on all "Satanic looking" you put people's guards up, and unless you are in a position where frightening others would get you what you want- looking completely "normal" might be in your best interest. When you don't LOOK like a threat, you can easily be one without others noticing.

That said, I'd still say that there IS something very thrilling about tapping into that dark Satanic stereotype every once in a while- it has its emotional value, in a kind of psychodramatic way.
But the bottom line is that if you need to dress a certain way to feel like a somebody- you're probably really just a nobody.

#307700 - 02/18/08 08:38 AM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: DemonicAngel]
foreverlearning Offline

I dress much more like the stereotypical hippie than a stereotypical satanist.
Hemp hoodie, jeans, and sandals is a common outfit for me. So I can't really say that I blend in, but I definately do not come off as a satanist to most people. I think I own one black sweatshirt, a couple black undershirts and a pair of black sweatpants. I couldn't dress 'satanic' if I wanted to.

Edited by foreverlearning (02/18/08 08:39 AM)
Edit Reason: I can't spell

#307701 - 02/18/08 08:45 AM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: The_Lightning]
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

I do enjoy to dress in an outlandish manner, dark and eccentric. Sadly I almost never get to do it, every day events require you to appear "normal". It's not that I feel like a nobody dressing in a conservative fashion. I simply feel bored with the conservative look. Bored to the point I sometimes want to puke.

I look forward to working more on my music when I get the time. In hopes that one day I'll get to dress as outlandish as I want. Until I grow sick of that and come up with something even more outlandish. Perhaps even dress conservative to throw people off. I don't like to stick to one look for too long I get bored too easily.

Some people may call me a poser for all the genres and styles I went through. I beg to differ, I always had my own style. I don't like to dress gothic, prepy, grunge and ect. I like to dress however I feel like dressing. I at one point shaved off my eyebrows and wore loads of make up. No surprise that I couldn't get a job for that period.

Nothing suits me more perfectly than being me. It's hard for people to label me and stick me with anything in particular. I very happy with that. The more I confuse sheep and make them wonder the more I take pleasure in what I wear. So in some respects it's also a game for me.

Edited by FalloutGod (02/18/08 08:46 AM)

#307714 - 02/18/08 09:21 AM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: FalloutGod]
Risen08 Offline
CoS Member

I think that being a Satanist is more of the way you carry yourself. Confidence in stride and manner. people can't pidgoen-hole you and that makes one seem 'dark'.

Edited by Risen08 (02/18/08 09:22 AM)

#307717 - 02/18/08 09:34 AM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: Risen08]
Risen08 Offline
CoS Member

My girlfriend (still a pagan, but starting to see the dark) and I walk into a occult shop. I was looking for the right chalice and she wanted a tarot reading. I am dressed 'normal'. A maroon sweater and pair of jeans. Out of nowhere the girl behind the counter said, "I don't think we have what you are looking for".

I assumed she thought I was christian. She didn't.

We had an interesting conversation. She said my aura was dark. Whatever.

a side note..... the girlfriend's tarot reading made the reader's eyes tear up it was so good.

When I got home I acknowledged the magic.

#307731 - 02/18/08 10:49 AM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: ]
Lexifer Offline

I wear alot of black t-shirts,Jeans, and sneakers. I shave on occasion and because i can grow a face full of hair in 2 days, Somtimes i can get carried away with the facial hair shaving. It's fun to try diferent things. I like to wear things that dont go together but in my own way ..like my polo jacket and a deathmetal t-shirt.

I never could understand, growing up everyone tells you to be individual don't follow the crowd. Now that im all grown up everyone wants you to look like a carbon copy.
WTF?

Edited by Lexifer (02/18/08 10:50 AM)

#307781 - 02/18/08 01:57 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: DemonicAngel]
Rory_Rocketpants Offline
CoS Member

Loc: unknown
What happens if one has a tendency towards naturism? *raises eyebrow*
Not so smart now, are you Captain Clothing.

#307801 - 02/18/08 02:39 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: DemonicAngel]
Autophilius Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
 Originally Posted By: DemonicAngel
Satanist are supposed to judge people on actions and not appearances.

Wrong. On both. Read: "The Nine Satanic Sins":
There is mentioned: "9. Lack of Aesthetics"

Autophilius

#307825 - 02/18/08 04:50 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: ]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
Our opinions do not differ.

You are applying what Robert Greene would call "The Dandy" seductive type; you are original in your dressing code just enough to attract attention, but not enough to cause unease. You do not look like a threat because you do not wander too far off the normal scale.
When I say normal, I mean being dressed according to common consent on what should be worn to a certain event. For example- it is one thing to come wearing an original, tasteful suit for a formal event, and a completely different thing to come to such an event wearing a corset and stockings.

That's one thing I find detestable about Goths/Punks- they cannot let go of their look no matter what- in school, in weddings, in a coffee house; they'll wear the same damn thing. They can't adapt to their environment because they fear losing their identity by doing so.

But anyhow, sometimes it IS in your best interest to look just like everybody else (not even slightly different- but really a 100% normal)- being in the background allows you to observe and plan your next move.
And sometimes you can look as abnormal as you bloody well wish- because you don't need to manipulate anyone—you just dress up for your own enjoyment.

#307843 - 02/18/08 05:48 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: The_Lightning]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I agree very much with your post. I have a comment about this:

Quote:
But anyhow, sometimes it IS in your best interest to look just like everybody else (not even slightly different- but really a 100% normal)- being in the background allows you to observe and plan your next move.

I wonder if Satanists exude charisma even in the most benign clothing? I think that yes, they most certainly do. Muggles react to a certain magnetism regardless of dress, although muggles may not know how to articulate exactly what it is they are sensing.

#307849 - 02/18/08 06:02 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: The_Lightning]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
 Originally Posted By: The_Lightning
I think that in reality most Satanists are more like how Rosemary's Baby portrays them-

Do you mean old, naked and chanting in the next door apartment?

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#307850 - 02/18/08 06:09 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: ]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
 Originally Posted By: Zakolyev

I have a different take on this. Personally, with my formal attire made up of accouterments of centuries past applied in a tasteful manner, I am able to impress people quite often. I stand out, surely, but not as a target.

Okay...I am not trying to be funny here...you dress as in your avatar, and are not a target?

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#307852 - 02/18/08 06:18 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: Autophilius]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I judge people based on their appearance because I expect people to know that people judge each other based on their appearance.

Someone who looks like total crap is either trying to make a statement (and that statement typically fails more often than it succeeds) or is too lazy or socially inept to even try to do better.

A person's outside appearance often--though not always--conveys something about their inner state. Now, that "something" may vary or be unpredictable, and may require some thought or interpretation mind you, but there is still some kind of a connection between the inside and the outside.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12171 Members
73 Forums
43938 Topics
405801 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements