Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#307864 - 02/18/08 06:48 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: Zaftig]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
 Quote:
. Muggles react to a certain magnetism regardless of dress, although muggles may not know how to articulate exactly what it is they are sensing.

yes, I think so too.

But I think it's possible for a Satanist in a group situation (on a one-on-one situation this doesn't apply, naturally) to stay out of the main focus *at first*.
Eventually you can't hide from people your Satanic nature.

#307865 - 02/18/08 06:54 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: ]
The_Lightning Offline

Now that I see what you were talking about—
Well,
I think it would be entertaining to most, and therefore not threatening.
The problem with this kind of attire is that people might not take you seriously sometimes, when you actually need them too.
Then again, by letting others not treat you seriously you have a position of strength over them since they don't expect you to be a threat.

Hmm… this is something I didn't consider.
A Goth/Punk look might also work in THAT kind of manner- when you look outlandish like that you might not seem like a competition.

Edited by The_Lightning (02/18/08 07:07 PM)
Edit Reason: typos

#307867 - 02/18/08 06:58 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
The_Lightning Offline

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
 Originally Posted By: The_Lightning
I think that in reality most Satanists are more like how Rosemary's Baby portrays them-

Do you mean old, naked and chanting in the next door apartment?

YES.

#307868 - 02/18/08 06:58 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I think it's all about how you carry it, and what you end up 'saying' with the presentation of the full package that is your appearance, your hygiene, your posture, your "vibe," your speech, and your mannerisms.

A lot of kids--goths, geeks, punks, etc.--don a flashy or unusual outside to compensate for a lack of an interesting, deep, or confident inside. The lazy ones will just put on a boler hat, a tie, or a sport coat, while still wearing jeans and baggy, Cheeto-stained t-shirts. They may also try to put on a flashy or eccentric persona to boot, and so they'll talk like pretentious Renaissance Fair actors or extras in a community production of "A Christmas Story." You can see the artifice from a mile away.

But, if a person has the right personality and the proper "vibe," and also realizes that the same look isn't appropriate in every context, even an eccentric or unusual look can be pulled off nicely. I certainly can admire a person who has the chutzpah to do it, and who endeavors to do it well. (Hell, the shopping alone takes guts, because it can take a lot of time, effort, and consideration.)

Lightning has picked up an interesting and valid angle there--get on top of people by coming up from beneath. The Snot Bubble, in a different form.

In this case, the form is called "OMG look at the faggoty goth kid, tee hee hee." No genuine insult meant to Zako, but of course there will be "cool kids" who will think and say this. But, while they are busy laughing and slapping high-fives, they're distracted--and that is a person's chance to flip, flop, or fly.

Edited by TrojZyr (02/18/08 07:14 PM)

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#307869 - 02/18/08 07:06 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: TrojZyr]
The_Lightning Offline

You always had a knack for putting things into words perfectly.

Quote:
The Snot Bubble, in a different form.

Ah! Right.... didn't make the connection.
But that's exactly it.

Quote:
who has the chutzpah to do it

And you get an extra tiki for using a Hebrew slang ^_^

#307871 - 02/18/08 07:12 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: The_Lightning]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Thanks \:\) .

I like tikis.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#307877 - 02/18/08 07:34 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: Dantethevamp]
DemonicAngel Offline

Loc: Texas
 Originally Posted By: Dantethevamp
I wear a camo uniform with my pants bloused at the boots everyday. Does this make me a satanist?

Welcome to the club...I hate ACU's.

#307891 - 02/18/08 08:56 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: DemonicAngel]
Colonel Kurtz Offline
CoS Member

Hate your uniform all you like, but if you wear it with an image of pride, your chain of command will see a soldier. When we wore BDU's, we had to iron and press crease's into our uniforms. I took mine to the cleaners. Many soldier's do not understand the importance of their appearance. It can keep your 1st seargent of your back. It will also let your chain of command know you are a soldier, it says "promote me".

If you understand this, you have enough between your ears to set yourself apart.

What you wear during down time is your own business, just don't think people are not looking.

#307941 - 02/19/08 01:13 AM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: ]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
What people SAY about your appearance, and what they THINK are two totally different things.

Based on visual first impressions, if you were wearing that outfit, I'd personally disregard you as a retard, and move on. I wouldn't SAY it, but I would sure as hell be thinking it.

I have seen people dress in similar fashion who were not going to a dinner party, or participating in a play. There was nothing commanding about it, they looked silly and out of place to me, laughable, like they were going out for Halloween...I think this way about anyone who tries to look freakishly outlandish for no apparent reason.

HOWEVER.

For those "less sharp" out there, in particular much of the herd, I can see how it would "work" somewhat to invoke a sense of mystery. Not my taste, but if it is working for you, hell, whatever.

Edited by Phosis (02/19/08 01:13 AM)

#307943 - 02/19/08 01:22 AM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: TheDegenerate]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

So I don't just come off as an insulting prick, invading this thread just to get a "jab" in (which was not what I intended.) I will share my view on the subject as well.

I think it is important to dress in a manner that puts you "on top" of whatever situation. At work, dress a bit better then everyone else you work with. Outside of work, do the same. Going overboard for no particular fucking reason can be problematic, single you out, and make you the focus of unwanted attention. I like to remain ambiguous, but all the same, look like I might be "up to" something.

As said elsewhere, (I won't take credit for it.) dress to be the leader of whatever situation you might be in.

Sometimes I like to dress how I do in my avatar, when walking around at night.(minus the glasses. Sunglasses at night make you look like a shithead.) It works in the day too, depending on where I am going. I am not partial to black entirely...a nice brown suit jacket can fit with practically any attire, and helps to propel you just above the rest of the crowd.

In the spring time, a nice leather bomber coat can have similar effect, giving a tougher appearence all the same. As for summer, well, anything goes...I dress to be comfortable as well, but wouldn't be caught dead in sandals and shorts. Just not my bag.

Dress is a big part of Lesser Magic. Appearance, especially during the first impression, is extremely important. Anyone who says "looks don't matter" is an asshole. I can't SEE intellect, and morals...I can however see a moron with too much black makeup, a bum in shitty old jeans and a faded Slayer shirt, or yes, a goofball in a top hat and a cane, looking like he is straight out of Oliver Twist...hanging out in the mall....in the year 2008 ;\)

#307944 - 02/19/08 01:24 AM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: ]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Zakolyev
Perhaps your own paradigm is in need of adjustment then? I am not, as you would have presumed, a "retard," so your prejudice is detrimental to right judgment.

Maybe you're not? But based on your appearance, that is how it would appear. If that offends you, it's your issue not mine.

Edited by Phosis (02/19/08 01:25 AM)

#307945 - 02/19/08 01:27 AM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: ]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Anyways, I don't want to be guilty of turning this thread into an overblown flamers fantasy land...my intent was not to be insulting, nor was it "prejudice". If you want to carry on this conversation, please PM me, I am more then happy to explain myself further.

#307948 - 02/19/08 01:34 AM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: TheDegenerate]
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

That's part of the magic, is it not? To deceive those around you, give them the wrong impression with a purpose to inspire a certain stereotype of you. The herd is easily played by the appearance of another.

Example: I had long hair as I liked it at the time and saw a grungy girl I liked. I imitated the grunge look of the time. Converse, khaki's and random nondescript cheap T-shirts. Knowing that she was an obsessive Nirvana fan I had my hair cut similar to Kurt Cobain's and trimmed to have beard stubble. Naturally I came off looking a bit darker and mysterious than the average grunger due to my sense of style. Either way it proved to be effective and I eventually got what I wanted.

#307950 - 02/19/08 01:41 AM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: FalloutGod]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

You adapted, to manipulate. That is Lesser Magic.

My entire point, which got lost in translation, was dressing to extremes for no reason, when they don't "fit" the bill, can be detrimental to this.

Zakolyev took it a as a personal insult, when it was simply a frank opinion of how I would see it...not an affirmation of how EVERYONE would look at him.

I am talking about subtle manipulation here. As I said, if it works for him, great!

#307955 - 02/19/08 02:16 AM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: ]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Zakolyev
Perhaps your own paradigm is in need of adjustment then? I am not, as you would have presumed, a "retard," so your prejudice is detrimental to right judgment.

I'll just clear it up fully right now, so there are no hurt feelings.

I am talking here about a very quick situation...I am in the grocery store, and see you walking around dressed as you are, chin up high, putting "Sapporo Ichiban" in your shopping cart. Your appearance would be comical and silly to me, and that would be my first impression.

Would I stop to chat with you about it, out of curiosity or boredom?

Not bloody likely. I have never done so before, why would this particular time be any different?

I would not go home and dwell, or talk about "This goofy looking guy" I saw that day. I couldn't give two shits less, I live in a big city, I am downtown frequently, and there is TONS of that shit going on. Ever seen a man dressed like santa clause in the middle of summer riding a bicycle with a rubber pony head on the front of it? I have. I have seen a lot worse.

IF however, we sat down and chatted for whatever reason, and I realized we had something in common, or your not a bad guy, my perception will have changed. He is a good guy who LOOKS like a goof, not necessarily a goof who looks like a goof.

Just my two cents, don't take it personally (Why would you? Who the hell am I?) I am just saying.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43978 Topics
406024 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements