CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Moved to PM...Carry on!

#307961 - 02/19/08 03:01 AM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
$lesk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Norway
 Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster

Do you mean old, naked and chanting in the next door apartment?

That certainly describes me perfectly.

#308052 - 02/19/08 11:10 AM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: TheDegenerate]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I wrestled with aesthetics for a long time.

When I was younger, I felt aesthetics didn't matter, and shouldn't matter, primarily because I was surrounded by haughty and rigid people whose standards seemed irrational, nonsensical, and often arbitrary.

Once I learned not to toss out an important message, even when the messenger's an idiot, I then had to decide how I was going to present myself. Obviously, baggy tees and jeans weren't going to do it for me anymore.

I toyed with "retro" clothing for a little bit. I was intrigued by styles from the 50s, the 40s, and before. In the end, I found that the clothing was often hard to find, especially in the right sizes, and that I just didn't look right in most of it.

I like various kinds of suits, so I tried them on for size (pun intended) next. I bought a very nice grey one from a thrift store. I soon realized, however, that suits were going to be impractical for my brand of everyday wear-and-tear, that it was going to be hard to find lots of suits in the right size, and that a girl wearing a suit was going to unnerve and upset some people in ways that I just didn't want to deal with every day.

My current preferred style is black shorts or a skort, and a nice coloured shirt, and I'm very happy with it. It meets my needs.

Though, I'm a child at heart, so if I saw a person in 19th-century wear buying Sapporo at the store, I'd be tickled pink. I don't know what I'd necessarily think about the person as an individual--it'd be dependent on what other vibes I was getting--but the event itself would fill me with delight.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#308055 - 02/19/08 11:19 AM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: TrojZyr]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Well, we discussed the matter in general more privately, and I explained I would not judge a personality or a mind by the way that person dressed. Any further judgement would require further interaction then simply passing by.

#308061 - 02/19/08 11:37 AM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: TheDegenerate]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
What if they were naked?

#308065 - 02/19/08 11:49 AM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: TrojZyr]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
In art school (not surprisingly, I guess) I heard folks profess that they would wear whatever they damn well pleased because they "shouldn't be judged by clothes alone". I could see their point but that's just not the way the world works, is it? It's an incredibely unrealistic and counterproductive attitude to have. On the flip side, judging someone solely on their dress can be dangerously misleading.

I have the luxury of not being in social settings hardly ever these days so my clothing choices are suited entirely to my needs and comfort. Jeans or fatigues faded to aged velvet softness, t-shirts or workshirts I don't mind getting paint or oil on, and whatever footwear that accomodates my mutant feet. There is, however, not a chance in hell I would have shown up to a corporate board meeting in similar fashion.

You also made a fantastic point about finding what works for you. What looks good on some people will most definitely not look good on others. I was never one for wearing typical female corporate fashions and got alot of jokes about my funereal wear (all black). But I was well-tailored, clean, pressed and most importantly comfortable and confident. Attention to details can also make a world of difference.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#308069 - 02/19/08 11:53 AM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: ]
Rory_Rocketpants Offline
CoS Member

Loc: unknown
Capice.

I, like most knowledgable practitioners of turning up in clothes, have the habit of choosing the right ones for the situation even if I do sometimes go a little over the top.

I don't think displaying a tiny amount of eccentricity is necessarily a bad thing, and in the right setting fuck the tiny amount and go the whole nine yards.

If you can get away with one chosen style all of the time, more power to you and your wallet.

#308074 - 02/19/08 12:10 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: Shade]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
This one time, in art school ... or was it band camp?

I agree that there is a difference between dressing for your job or an activity and how you regularly present yourself. Doktor LaVey points this out in The Satanic Witch when he differentiates between someone who wears all black because of their occupation and someone who chooses to wear all black. I certainly would not wear my studio garb or gym gear for a night out on the town, now that's just common sense. ;\)

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#308099 - 02/19/08 02:02 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: TrojZyr]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Clothing is also a political statement at times. Did your university also have those "I refuse to wear name brand/animal by product/sweatshop attire" people? Their clothes are usually so damn ugly.

My favourite type of hypocrites are the "feminists" that insists that any type of clothing that is alluring to men should be avoided as a statement that women don't want to be objectified. Which I think is the biggest joke on them, because most of them have typical resentful passive aggressive pussy boyfriends, that the girls complain about being not very "passionate".

Duh.

As for this thread, I've experimented quite a bit with my aesthetic. It's a thrill for me to combine well tailored clothing with thrift-shop finds. (I found a luxuriously soft fur stole for 4$ this summer. I can't wait for an opportunity to wear it.) I've settled mostly on bombshell type clothing. I switch it up, but those styles suit and flatter my body type.

Adjusting to your body type is important I think, even particular body parts. Sometimes I wear my rack, know what I mean? ;\)

#308105 - 02/19/08 02:41 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: Zaftig]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Taxationland
 Quote:
Sometimes I wear my rack, know what I mean?
;\)

No, but if you wish to PM me with some photos, I would be glad to inspect them!
"To be born into this world a sentient, self-conscious and reasoning being, surrounded by inexhaustible glories in Nature, which we may comprehend, possess,enjoy; to be able to rise on the wings of a lofty imagination; to be able to get glimpses of the ideally perfect; to apprehend the Divine; it is to the development and enjoyment of these high powers that the young man is invited. How dare he refuse to qualify himself by the most perfect training of all his powers." Lyman J. Gage 1910

"Follow Me!", John M. (Delta).

"I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think." Something Magistra Isabel posted. laugh

#308114 - 02/19/08 03:03 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: Zaftig]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Yep. A few at university, many in high school. Even I quasi-went through that phase in middle and elementary school, because I was surrounded by kids (and their parents) who seemed obsessed with brand names and status symbols, and I (rightfully) found that whole circus disgusting, infantile, and stupid.

But, then I realized that issues like sweatshops and corporate power are more complex than I'd known; that practically everybody has their hands in some kind of dirty business, so it's all about trade-offs; and that life's too short to fixate on making anti-statements all the time.

When I started wearing form-revealing and form-fitting shirts as a young adult, I felt great. It's empowering.

The problem with a lot of people is this: they decide on the statement they want to make, and then they run with that, no matter what. That's how you get kids in ugly "moral" clothes, celebrities in bad-looking dresses, and fat people in capri pants and belly shirts. It's also probably true that these people do not trust their own judgment or understand themselves well enough to be able to know and to admit when things aren't working for them.

Or, in short, "Jesus Christ, look in a mirror already!"

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#308115 - 02/19/08 03:04 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: Danny Mc.]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

So be it. Here's my big rack:

#308117 - 02/19/08 03:11 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: Zaftig]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Taxationland
You wear that? Please PM me with photos of you wearing that! \:D
"To be born into this world a sentient, self-conscious and reasoning being, surrounded by inexhaustible glories in Nature, which we may comprehend, possess,enjoy; to be able to rise on the wings of a lofty imagination; to be able to get glimpses of the ideally perfect; to apprehend the Divine; it is to the development and enjoyment of these high powers that the young man is invited. How dare he refuse to qualify himself by the most perfect training of all his powers." Lyman J. Gage 1910

"Follow Me!", John M. (Delta).

"I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think." Something Magistra Isabel posted. laugh

#308122 - 02/19/08 03:24 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: TrojZyr]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Quote:
The problem with a lot of people is this: they decide on the statement they want to make, and then they run with that, no matter what...these people do not trust their own judgment or understand themselves well enough to be able to know and to admit when things aren't working for them.

True! They let popularity dictate their clothing choices, not their personal attributes.

Quote:
When I started wearing form-revealing and form-fitting shirts as a young adult, I felt great. It's empowering.

Most definitely. Also, I've noticed that when I go out dressed to the nines men will look at me, but rarely speak to me. Whereas if I dress down somewhat, more men will make conversation.

I don't dress down very often. ;\)

#308126 - 02/19/08 03:38 PM Re: Clothing/Personal style. [Re: Danny Mc.]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

PMs not necessary; I'm not ashamed of my body.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406070 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements