Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#308346 - 02/20/08 10:44 PM Church of Satan and Raelism
Enigma777 Offline

After reading about this interesting (and a bit far fetched \:\) )
belief in creation by aliens, I actually wondered if one can belong to both religions.
Why not?
I don't see why one can't believe in those stories and still practice the philosophies of Anton LaVey at the same time.
I like their support of the advancement of science.

Anyone wanna share their thoughts?

Edited by Abhik (02/20/08 10:45 PM)

#308348 - 02/20/08 10:49 PM Re: Church of Satan and Raelism [Re: Enigma777]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
I DO thnk the Raelians are a very interesting case of atheists who deny the science of evolution. I like to bring them in as an example of that in debates, when people (atheist, christian, or otherwise) make the sweeping generalization that atheism requires an understanding of science. "Atheism" means nothing more than "no blief in deity".

Back to the original question: are the two compatible? Well, having a belief that the human race was put here by outer space aliens (or were some kind of alien cross-breed), does not, in and of itself, contradict anything in the Satanic Bible. The Church of Satan has no official stance regarding human origins (and if somebody from the priesthood can correct me on this, please do so). Because ultimately, as The Satanic Bible hints, this doesn't matter. Humans are animals, and it doesn't matter where we came from, but how we want our individual lives to go.

I am, however, suspicious of what truly fuels the belief in such a wild story in the first place. I do think that a good number of "God" believers are driven by the need to feel special and validated by a special creator of sorts, instead of by individual merit. In this sense, it could be quite anti-Satanic if Raelian beliefs were fueled by the same types of feelings.

I also admittedly don't know much about Raelism's beliefs beyond the put-here-by-aliens thing. I don't know if, for example, they have a dogmatic moral code or anything else that might contradict something like the 9 Statements.

Personally, I think one has to be practically illiterate to deny biological evolution. The overwhelming evidence is there if you just read up on the subject. Every person I've met who denies evolution, has always done so due to a gross misundertanding of what it's about.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#308360 - 02/21/08 12:34 AM Re: Church of Satan and Raelism [Re: Bill_M]
Enigma777 Offline

Thank you for your intelligent answer, it helped me learn something new about CoS.

However, I do not think they deny evolution. They believe that extraterrestrials started life on Earth which evolved. An interesting part of their story is that the aliens were mistaken for gods when they came down to the ancient people.
The little I know about their other beliefs include the fact that they strongly support such scientific pursuits as cloning and stem cells which has given them controversial status and a bit of resentment from others(crappy people I don't give much respect to).

#308362 - 02/21/08 12:59 AM Re: Church of Satan and Raelism [Re: Enigma777]
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

Interesting, but theory to me is theory. Do they have anything to support their hypothesis or some studies they do? I'd like to look into it, you got me curious. http://www.rael.org/ is their official website, correct? I don't always trust popular sources.

EDIT: Whether or not that's the real website I've concluded that I don't buy it. It's possible yes, but they lack evidence and state that the messages of monotheistic religions were the messages of this alien race of humans. We were created in their image using DNA. Personally I find people who believe Real to be out of touch with reality. Does not seem logical to me, at all.

After all, who here believes those people who claim that God talks to them? I doubt many do thought some of us like my self accept the possibility there's truth to it. Until it's proven however I'm not about to support their cause or do what they tell me to. Even when all is proven I still might not buy into it if it does not have my best interests in mind.

Edited by FalloutGod (02/21/08 01:17 AM)

#308367 - 02/21/08 01:44 AM Re: Church of Satan and Raelism [Re: Enigma777]
Damaeon96 Offline
Banned

Loc: Kentucky
Aliens put man-kind on planet earth?

Okay, its possible. There's no evidence to support the claim but there's nothing to refute it either.

Upon reading a little further on the raelian movement, it states that there is a "supernatural" god and that the "prophets" from all of man's religions were selected and educated by them to send a specific message. This means that religion was directly influenced and structured by said aliens.

If I'm not mistaken, Dr. Lavey created Satanism in direct opposition of today's religions regardless of there original intent. The science aspect is similar but the philosophies don't mesh.

Im not saying you have to pick one, I'm not saying there isn't a contradiction in advocating both sides, but I will say that I'll stick to my guns and let the cards fall where they may.

However, if E.T. shows up on my doorstep next to a jehovah's witness, its gonna get ugly.

"Here's to hell. May the stay there be as fun as the way there!" - Groucho Marx

#308380 - 02/21/08 06:46 AM Re: Church of Satan and Raelism [Re: Damaeon96]
shadowraven213 Offline

Introduce them to each other while you run away with the alien ray gun. \:\)

You would have to be quick about it, those Jehovah's witnesses can run quite fast.

#308392 - 02/21/08 09:16 AM Re: Church of Satan and Raelism [Re: Bill_M]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

They're totally kooky.

The story goes that Rael was taking a hike up on a mountaintop and was visited by aliens who told him the "true" meaning of the bible, that is, that aliens populated the planet and humanity's mandate is to do the same. When we do, we, in turn, will become like gods, just like the aliens. Because of this they strongly advocate cloning and scientific research into those areas.

As New Religious Movements go I find them interesting because of a few things;

You must be 18 years of age to join, even if both your parents are Raeliens.

They have very open ideas about sexuality; all consensual activity between adults is not only permitted, but strongly encouraged. I have even heard of a small subset of "Angels", who are women that have been personally trained by Rael to sexual satisfy the aliens when they return. Which brings me to my final note;

They have a tithing system in order to finance the building of a landing site for when the aliens return. Rael is the sole person who communicates with the aliens and then conveys their wishes to his followers.

I've met quite of few of them, as their main office is here in Quebec. Rael moved from France because treatment of NRMs in that country is not as liberal as here.

And as a side note; all the women that I met are incredibly sexy. The men, not so much.

#308398 - 02/21/08 09:45 AM Re: Church of Satan and Raelism [Re: Zaftig]
shadowraven213 Offline

Originally Posted By: lexiphanic

The story goes that Rael was taking a hike up on a mountaintop and was visited by aliens

Sounds like someone else from a popular myth, moses.

Originally Posted By: lexiphanic
consensual activity between adults is not only permitted, but strongly encouraged.

all the women that I met are incredibly sexy. The men, not so much.

Ahh I see what he did there! \:\/

#308402 - 02/21/08 10:30 AM Re: Church of Satan and Raelism [Re: Enigma777]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

This is very interesting, I wouldn't subscribe to this religion but I like the idea behind it. I would of course want more proof, but it is worth considering.
Considering how abundant life is here on Earth then why wouldn't it be elsewhere in the universe? Considering there are many levels of intelligence on this planet, and that we are just now understanding DNA then why couldn't there be other beings in the universe that are more advanced?
Like I said though, I want more proof.
I have always told people that if Aliens were to land on the planet, that many religions would have egg all over their face and would be forced to change their position, but Satanists wouldn't.
Thanks for the link, it's interesting.

#308403 - 02/21/08 10:36 AM Re: Church of Satan and Raelism [Re: Enigma777]
Direktor Offline
CoS Member

I think if one chooses to support any ideology aside from Satanism that's their own business, but it's pretty clear that Satanism is so defined it would be hard not to see many ideologies for what they really are, which are pretty pseudo-satanic!
I've only read a bit about the topic in question so if you find it interesting, why not? You already stated you think some of it is "a bit far fetched". ;\)

My opinion is just that if you approach this stuff keeping your carnal mind in check (and make sure it doesn't fly off with the spaceship) you could use a lot of it to your own advantage.

"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior."
-Hippolyte Taine

#308405 - 02/21/08 10:39 AM Re: Church of Satan and Raelism [Re: Enigma777]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Originally Posted By: Abhik
After reading about this interesting (and a bit far fetched \:\) )
belief in creation by aliens, I actually wondered if one can belong to both religions.
Why not?

Because you then have to accept that Rael speaks to aliens, and give money to build the landing site.

Seriously, I see a grave contradiction.

#308409 - 02/21/08 10:53 AM Re: Church of Satan and Raelism [Re: DickSteele]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

I started reading a bit of the free download "Intelligent Design", while it is interesting, it is a monkey in a different suit, that is,- it is Christianity with different characters.

#308411 - 02/21/08 11:08 AM Re: Church of Satan and Raelism [Re: Enigma777]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Satanism is against self-deception.

On what to they base their belief of alien origins?

Do they have any substantial warrant for the idea or do they just think its cool?

They smell distinctly of utter bullshit.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#308412 - 02/21/08 11:11 AM Re: Church of Satan and Raelism [Re: Svengali]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

It is based solely on the word of Rael.

They are what religion scholars call a "ufologist" group. They demonstrate that humans have a natural tendency to deify whatever idea they find most attractive.

Good thing Satanists find themselves most attractive. ;\)

#308416 - 02/21/08 12:00 PM Re: Church of Satan and Raelism [Re: Enigma777]
spook show Offline
CoS Member

Loc: under your bed
An interesting theory to speculate on, but hardly new. These people believe we were created by aliens through genetic engineering. There is a pseudo Satanic group out there who believes humans were genitically engineered by an ancient deity. Raelism just seems to be the "new and improved" version of the same story.

While I think it's possible that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, it doesn't seem logical to jump to the conclusion that they must have had a hand in creating us.

I don't know why some people have such a hard time with the idea that we are a product of evolution, and not the result of some "cosmic experiment".

~Anton Szandor LaVey

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
11895 Members
73 Forums
43649 Topics
404212 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements