Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#308513 - 02/21/08 07:46 PM Satanists are born not made - what follows from this?
Autophilius Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
Greetings to all Satanists!

I have a question. I'd be grateful if you might take the time to answer.
I have been thinking about the slogan "Satanists are born not made".
Innate attributes are encoded in the DNA. As Satanists are a small minority, that would mean, that a Satanic character is encoded by one or, more likely, several recessive genes.
That would mean, that a Satanist could be found by genetic analysis. If a person has the gene, that would be a better proof of her Satanic nature than membership or anything else.

What do you think about this?

Hail Me!

Autophilius

#308514 - 02/21/08 07:59 PM Re: Satanists are born not made - what follows from this? [Re: Autophilius]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Taxationland
 Quote:
I have been thinking about the slogan "Satanists are born not made".
Innate attributes are encoded in the DNA. As Satanists are a small minority, that would mean, that a Satanic character is encoded by one or, more likely, several recessive genes.
That would mean, that a Satanist could be found by genetic analysis. If a person has the gene, that would be a better proof of her Satanic nature than membership or anything else.

I feel the statement "Satanists are born not made" has nothing to do with genetics. It's simply a matter of application. After I read The Satanic Bible it enhanced my LIFE! Allowing me to rise and move, my world is mine because I have made it so. It's been one hell of a ride! H.S.!

Edited by Nephilim (02/21/08 08:09 PM)
Edit Reason: reworded
"To be born into this world a sentient, self-conscious and reasoning being, surrounded by inexhaustible glories in Nature, which we may comprehend, possess,enjoy; to be able to rise on the wings of a lofty imagination; to be able to get glimpses of the ideally perfect; to apprehend the Divine; it is to the development and enjoyment of these high powers that the young man is invited. How dare he refuse to qualify himself by the most perfect training of all his powers." Lyman J. Gage 1910

"Follow Me!", John M. (Delta).

"I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think." Something Magistra Isabel posted. laugh

#308539 - 02/21/08 08:49 PM Re: Satanists are born not made - what follows from this? [Re: Autophilius]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
There could be that chance that there is such a gene, but it would be a bit hard in some aspects to pin-point it I think.

Satanists will share similar qualities such as philosophical views and whatnot, but other than that, physical appearance and personalities are going to be vastly different as there are quite a few variables, not to mention it would be a little sketchy figuring out a control.

Of course, it could be based on LaVey, but of course he had certain personality quirks that are different from other Satanists.

I'm not a geneticist by ANY means, but it would be a difficult task I'm sure.

Very interesting topic though, thanks for the thought, Autophilius.

#308544 - 02/21/08 08:54 PM Re: Satanists are born not made - what follows from this? [Re: Philotechnic]
VictorWolf Offline
CoS Member

I don't think that it would be something in the DNA. I mean, there might be certain markers, but I don't take that as a guarantee. I'd rather let people's actions speak for them.

#308553 - 02/21/08 09:16 PM Re: Satanists are born not made - what follows from this? [Re: Autophilius]
Lust Offline

Who would go out of their way to do such research? If one was successful in tracking down a Satanist, by using this means, what then?

"If a person has the gene, that would be a better proof of her Satanic nature than membership or anything else."

Becoming a Member of the Church of Satan, is not proof of someone who "walks the walk" so to speak. Becoming a Member is a way to show ones support for what Doctor Anton Szandor LaVey, started in 1966. At least it is for me.

Real world success is the proof in the pudding (Based on the individuals desires). Those who strive for this, and reach it would be your most likely candidates to have such a "gene".
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#308563 - 02/21/08 10:12 PM Re: Satanists are born not made - what follows from this? [Re: Autophilius]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
No. I think you're reading too much into this. It's a slogan that's intended to mean that Satanism is something that only suits certain kinds of people, with certain kinds of personality - a certain outlook on the world, a certain sense of style, a certain sense of humor, etc. And we recognize that the traits that make us Satanist have always set us apart, even when we were young.

It has nothing to do with DNA. (Anyway even if the slogan were literally true - not everything inborn is genetic.)

Edited by reprobate (02/21/08 10:13 PM)

#308581 - 02/21/08 11:26 PM Re: Satanists are born not made - what follows from this? [Re: Autophilius]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Even when you're looking at DNA, there's still no absolute guarantees as to how a person will turn out, especially since there are so many genes in the equation, and since socialization plays a crucial role, too.

And, since even Satanists are diverse, we hardly share one type of genetic code.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#308583 - 02/21/08 11:34 PM Re: Satanists are born not made - what follows from this? [Re: Autophilius]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
I think you would enjoy reading up on epigenetics.

The old assumptions have become outdated in the face of new evidence.

Have fun!

#308588 - 02/22/08 01:18 AM Re: Satanists are born not made - what follows from this? [Re: Autophilius]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
I take "born not made" to mean "Satanism has to come naturally to you; this isn't a religion you can convert to through will and devotion."

As for genetics, there have plenty of Satanists with very naturally unsatanic parents and siblings, and not to mention Satanic couples who had offspring that clearly turned out to not be Satanists. So I don't see how genetics could really significantly fit in.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#308603 - 02/22/08 03:27 AM Re: Satanists are born not made - what follows from this? [Re: TrojZyr]
Autophilius Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: TrojZyr
Even when you're looking at DNA, there's still no absolute guarantees as to how a person will turn out, especially since there are so many genes in the equation, and since socialization plays a crucial role, too.

Socialization is what people are made in my understanding.

Quote:

And, since even Satanists are diverse, we hardly share one type of genetic code.

Really? Don't we share 98% of it even with the monkeys?

Best wishes

Autophilius

#308606 - 02/22/08 03:48 AM Re: Satanists are born not made - what follows from this? [Re: Bill_M]
Autophilius Offline
CoS Member

Hi there!

Originally Posted By: Bill_M
I take "born not made" to mean "Satanism has to come naturally to you; this isn't a religion you can convert to through will and devotion."

Oh, I didn't know, you could select your religion or opinion by just a deliberate decision with no regards how you feel about it. Hm, maybe some people do and are just playing theatre, and that's what LaVey meant, when he said, many so-called Christians are just faking, but in fact act Satanic? Did I understand you right?

Quote:

As for genetics, there have plenty of Satanists with very naturally unsatanic parents and siblings, and not to mention Satanic couples who had offspring that clearly turned out to not be Satanists. So I don't see how genetics could really significantly fit in.

As all other genetically coded attributes which don't show up in every generation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recessive_gene

Best wishes

Autophilius

#308609 - 02/22/08 03:56 AM Re: Satanists are born not made - what follows from this? [Re: Nemo]
Autophilius Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Nemo
I think you would enjoy reading up on epigenetics.
The old assumptions have become outdated in the face of new evidence.

Ah, thanks for the advice!
But I'm not sure, if it's important to my question, if a certain attribute is encoded in the DNA itself or in an epigenetic feature. In both cases, you could find Satanists by analyzing what's inside a cell nucleus.

Best wishes

Autophilius

#308610 - 02/22/08 04:02 AM Re: Satanists are born not made - what follows from this? [Re: Autophilius]
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

Yes, I agree with Bill_M on the matter. That's why one could fake being a Raelist for whatever purpose of personal gain. However, the only gain I've seen so far is their view on sex(Personal gain here being getting laid more often... well perhaps, no certainity on that). Was not enough to entice me to fake being something of that nature.

On another note just because I go to a Christian church every so often, or have Christian friends does not make me a Christian. Just as it would not make a person a Satanist just by simply being a card holding member of the Church of Satan or reading the The Satanic Bible. They could very well live in a manner that would be contradictory to the Satanic philosophy.

Now the topic I find very interesting. I know little of DNA and genetics, only what I vaguely recall from High School. I must say though that it's mostly speculation. One does not need a specific gene or anything to be Satanic in nature. Correct?

Edited by FalloutGod (02/22/08 04:55 AM)
Edit Reason: clarification

#308615 - 02/22/08 04:40 AM Re: Satanists are born not made - what follows from this? [Re: Autophilius]
Ghorth6 Offline

Loc: War-Celona, sPAIN
I definitely dont think it has to do with genetics in any case. See, my parents are extremely catholic (to an extreme extent), and so is the rest of my family, excepting me.
In fact, I do share very few passions and/or points of view with my parents. The only thing I share with them is passion for music but then again, they love classical music but HATE metal I actually do love both, and also used to perform classical music at a younger stage. Sometimes I even wonder if I really am my parents son.
So, I think the human race just strolls around life in search for I. Most of the human animals normally dont find it, as they are searching in the wrong direction; they focus on the outside, desperately trying to find an outer God while they should dive deep inside themselves.
My oppinion is that there is a potential Satanist in each human animal, but you need the Will to begin with the search, the Strength to keep on going and the Guts to accept it and take it, once youve found it. And precisely THAT is not genetical.
Only a few of us are able to dig our own out of the herd-mass.

H.S.

All I Hail, Hail me back!

#308645 - 02/22/08 09:29 AM Re: Satanists are born not made - what follows from this? [Re: Autophilius]
Adveser Offline

Loc: California
Satanism is a non-conformist way of thinking that one can not subscribe to. You either have been living your life as a Satanist without knowing it or you aren't a Satanist. It is really quite that simple. That is not to say that some of us haven't been confused at some point in their life, but if one must change any aspect of their behavior to be a Satanist, you aren't a Satanist.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12202 Members
73 Forums
43989 Topics
406086 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements