Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#308624 - 02/22/08 07:31 AM A friend issue
Charlie D Offline

I'm in a bit of a pickle. You see it's been about 6 months since i renounced the church and jesus and all that. But now one of my best friends has found out this info and he's a leader in the church i used to go to. He doesn't know of this (being Satanic) but he has now found out i'm not a follower of god anymore.

Has anyone else round here had a similar experience? and if so how was it dealt with?

#308634 - 02/22/08 08:27 AM Re: A friend issue [Re: Charlie D]
Ghorth6 Offline

Loc: War-Celona, sPAIN
Iíve passed through that over 15 years ago, and the experience Iíve made is that, the ones you can call ďtrueĒ friends will stay right there beside you, no matter about your religious, letís say, preferences.
Anyhow, renouncing to god, jesus, or even call yourself a Satanist isnít a shame but something to be proud of so, if you consider this guy a true friend, just be honest with him. If he doesnít understand it, then continue walking the Left Hand Path on your own. Better to be alone than in bad company, right?
Nevertheless, if you have, as you say, renounced the church and jesus, you should also renounce to those feelings of guilt you have towards your, er, christian friend and his christian beliefs. You donít owe regretfulness to anybody.
If you truly are a Satanist, you will be proud and honoured to be able to call yourself one, no matter what other morons may think of it.

H.S.

All I Hail, Hail me back!

#308635 - 02/22/08 08:34 AM Re: A friend issue [Re: Charlie D]
spook show Offline
CoS Member

Loc: under your bed
If this person is really a true friend, why would it matter if you're a Satanist or not?

None of my friends are Satanists, and they don't care about the fact that I am. They are close with me because they know what kind of person I am, not because of my religious affiliation.

~Anton Szandor LaVey

#308636 - 02/22/08 08:40 AM Re: A friend issue [Re: spook show]
inverted Offline

Loc: Ohio
Agreed. It's instances like thsee that show you who your friends really are.

#308638 - 02/22/08 08:56 AM Re: A friend issue [Re: spook show]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
 Quote:
If this person is really a true friend, why would it matter if you're a Satanist or not?

It might. Some people can't handle Satanism. First of all, as we all know, most are grossly misinformed. Secondly, the principles of Satanism can seem a bit unusual to one who doesn't understand or practice them.

I began to broach the subject with my best friend a few months ago. She was raised Christian, practiced "witchcraft" as a teenager, then became Buddhist, and married a guy who is Hindu, so she's leaning in that direction these days. Generally, she's very logical and open-minded. However, just the word Satanism was enough to trigger the Christian programming from her childhood. So I steered the conversation in another direction and haven't brought it up since. We've been friends for 17 years. She knows what type of person I am. If the label for what I am will cause problems I see no need to share it. It benefits me to keep my affiliations to myself.

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#308661 - 02/22/08 10:25 AM Re: A friend issue [Re: AurEum]
foreverlearning Offline

I have some friends who know I am a satanist and some that don't. I know that some of my friends will not think too highly of my choice, and so I don't tell them. Its not really a subject that comes up much, and I don't bring it up.

#308664 - 02/22/08 10:34 AM Re: A friend issue [Re: AurEum]
phoenixrisen Offline

Loc: Manchester, England
 Originally Posted By: ealaiontoir
It benefits me to keep my affiliations to myself.

Same here.

As for your 'pickle', ghostDIE, are you sure that it's a 'pickle' at all? You say that this friend of yours knows that you no longer attend church and so on. You didn't mention how he has reacted, if he has at all.

Maybe he doesn't care. I have a friend who is heavily involved with her church; that doesn't stop her from talking to me even though she knows that I'm not Christian. We don't discuss religion; if the topic comes up, I say as little as possible whilst appearing interested in whatever she has to say.

If he does react, however, then it's up to you how to deal with his reaction (whatever that may be). Only you know how much the friendship means to you and how much you're willing to put up with.

Yes, being a Satanist is great, but declaring it (even amongst family and friends) isn't always a good idea.

She's not little, no minion like me--
That's why she ensnared him.

- The Laboratory by Robert Browning

#308671 - 02/22/08 11:23 AM Re: A friend issue [Re: Charlie D]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
If your friend asks, just say that you're just thinking about and testing what you believe, which is true.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#308688 - 02/22/08 12:28 PM Re: A friend issue [Re: Charlie D]
Damaeon96 Offline
Banned

Loc: Kentucky
Stand firm on who you are.

If your best friend judges you unfit to be in his company than he was undeserving from the start.

"Here's to hell. May the stay there be as fun as the way there!" - Groucho Marx

#308701 - 02/22/08 01:14 PM Re: A friend issue [Re: Charlie D]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Circling A Star
He's one of your best friends and a leader in the church yet he just found out that you renounced christianity 6 months ago?

Are you sure he is a friend?

"When the great lord passes, the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts."
-Ethiopian Proverb

#308769 - 02/22/08 06:05 PM Re: A friend issue [Re: Minus]
Desertman Offline

Loc: LAS VEGAS, NV.

I really do not care what people think about my beliefs. Satanism works for me and I incorperate it into every aspect of my life. Some of my friends and family do know and they do not care or a least never say anything in my presence. To them I am just the guy who keeps busy and enjoys the finer things in life.

#308776 - 02/22/08 06:42 PM Re: A friend issue [Re: Charlie D]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

I try not to befriend christians or spiritual people in general. Speaking from experience, it's too much of a hassle.

I have family and business associates that are spiritual in nature but I have to be very selective when it comes to choosing close friends. They don't have to be Satanists but I can do without hearing the whole "Oh I thank God for bla bla bla" and when I get to Heaven, God will bla, bla, bla.". \:>

#308788 - 02/22/08 08:08 PM Re: A friend issue [Re: Charlie D]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
I do not understand your problem.

Why exactly does this put you "in a bit of a pickle"?

It seems to me that this only puts your friend in the position of having to understand why you quit.

If he requires that all of his friends must belong to his church that still remains his problem, doesn't it?

#308850 - 02/23/08 06:49 AM Re: A friend issue [Re: Nemo]
Charlie D Offline

Well it's more the point that to christians, satan really is the destroyer of the world. I didn't want certain people to find out straight away. It's the hardest thing trying to live with people who just want to ram their religion down your throat.

The reason i spose he didn't really notice much is just the fact that he's so busy. and I myself have only let key people to me know. My absolute closest friends don't have any issue with this change of mine. The problem more so with this one is that i have been a good friend to him and him to me for all my life.

The real reason it was a pickle was because he read something that i wrote to someone else in an e-mail, discussing my new found belief, and he sent me a reply e-mail regarding something he wasn't really supposed to see.

Anyways, i've talked to him now and he's cool. Which i'm pleased with because i care about the guy. He's a good friend to have and always has time to give when you need it.

#308854 - 02/23/08 07:32 AM Re: A friend issue [Re: Charlie D]
Frksgoddess Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Grand Forks, ND
I agree with Magister Nemo's statement and have this to add.

You must remember that realizing that you are a Satanist and acting upon it was your choice. If this is a burden to you then you must make a decision that best suits your life. If your friendship is more important to you than your chosen path then perhaps you truly are not a Satanist at all.

I for one do not associate (of my own free will for anything other than work) with intolerant hypocritical xians. And if you are now asking yourself why I still associate with IHX's it is for the simple fact that I like my money.

#308855 - 02/23/08 07:39 AM Re: A friend issue [Re: Charlie D]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

I wasn't going to respond to this but here goes-
Anyone who doesn't like me for who I am is no friend of mine and can go pound salt.
Seems like to me it wouldn't be much of a loss.

#308862 - 02/23/08 08:53 AM Re: A friend issue [Re: Charlie D]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: ghostDIE
The real reason it was a pickle was because he read something that i wrote to someone else in an e-mail, discussing my new found belief, and he sent me a reply e-mail regarding something he wasn't really supposed to see.

Part of the problem then is how did that e-mail end up where he was in a position to read it?

#309038 - 02/24/08 12:20 AM Re: A friend issue [Re: verszou]
Charlie D Offline

Originally Posted By: verszou
 Originally Posted By: ghostDIE

Part of the problem then is how did that e-mail end up where he was in a position to read it?

From a PM i sent to someone, it was at a lan. Through another fellow conspirator.

My point is that i am very close to this person and i wanted to tell him when it was time. The thing is now is that he's not really hurt but rather is having a hard time understanding why i didn't just tell him. He doesn't actually care what i believe in, he merely stated that it's hard to be a good friend when you're not just a little transparent. Which i would say i agree with.

#309055 - 02/24/08 03:11 AM Re: A friend issue [Re: Charlie D]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
Years ago one of my friends 'found god', took his worldly possessions to the beach and destroyed them with a circle of his new peers.

While not exactly the same experience, it is a change nonetheless.

It was his business and I didn't question him about it. Eventually he drifted into his new lifestyle and we no longer communicate.

Edited by HoundDog (02/24/08 03:12 AM)

#311492 - 03/03/08 09:48 AM Re: A friend issue [Re: Charlie D]
Saoiste Offline

Loc: Ireland
A lot of very high minded , principled & idealistic replies to this one !

To me the fella was asking how to avoid a potential conflict with a childhood friend over something he sees no need for a conflict about which to me is as wise as not broadcasting your pin number , tugging a lions tail or inviting suffering into your life in any other way .

Its all well & good saying "if hes a true friend bla bla" but none of you appear to consider an existence different to yours if indeed you cant ever remember a time before you were a COS member .

LaVey is quoted left right & centre if not on this thread but elsewhere yet I see no one championing his principles such as timing , direction balance etc to create a beneficial result .

I suppose its proof in its self that we are born Satanists because Charlie D appears to be hesitating about inflicting his will on his situation even if he doesn't know what how or why .

Years down the line he very well may be as cut throat as the rest of us but I for now enjoy viewing such naivety & to add it to my repertoire of human traits will , if not come in handy for misdirecting an enemy in the future , will at least make me feel like I have polished an old & forgotten skill .

I'm starting to sound like the cat among the pigeons now so I'll leave it at that before I needlessly offend .

#311505 - 03/03/08 10:55 AM Re: A friend issue [Re: Saoiste]
Guy Offline

Loc: Florida, US
I know this sounds like some of the other posts but:
If someone does not want to be your friend because of your religion they are not a friend. My girlfriend is christian and when I told her I was satanist she was shocked but she was ok with it because she loves me and I love her. Religion only gets in the way if one of you pushes it in your path.

This was written to express my feelings about people who kept saying I am arrogant.

#314372 - 03/13/08 12:05 PM Re: A friend issue [Re: Charlie D]
DFJ Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: Charlie D
I'm in a bit of a pickle. You see it's been about 6 months since i renounced the church and jesus and all that. But now one of my best friends has found out this info and he's a leader in the church i used to go to. He doesn't know of this (being Satanic) but he has now found out i'm not a follower of god anymore.

Has anyone else round here had a similar experience? and if so how was it dealt with?

I think many of us have "lost" what we thought was friends! I just came right out one day, and laid it down, and all that didnt like could turn away, cause it was my life and my choice!

#314402 - 03/13/08 03:09 PM Re: A friend issue [Re: Frksgoddess]
Grottognosis Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Im 43 yrs young,i have been a satanist 31yrs,they said i would grow out of it. well now im married have been for 18yrs i have a child 17,a good job,great family(inlaws included).who all kmow that i am very proud to be a satanist. and i live in the bible belt,so just be glad that you are now awake to true knowlege. HS.

HE WHO FORGETS THE PAST
IS DAMNED TO RELIVE IT.

#314771 - 03/14/08 05:09 PM Re: A friend issue [Re: Charlie D]
Amelia Offline

Loc: USA
Honestly that doesn't sound like much of a problem at all!
By that I mean, the fact that he's only upset that you didn't tell him directly, not the fact that you're not a believer of the thing that he believes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406073 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements