Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#309137 - 02/24/08 12:50 PM Re: Just a small rant [Re: Scion]
Scion Offline

Loc: London, UK
 Originally Posted By: Scion
Poo in a bag through the letter box. Works every time.

I'd like to just clarify that this post was meant entirely in jest as such activity would be illegal and I, of course, would never endorse such a thing. Apologies to anyone who took exception to what I said.

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

www.vampiretemple.com - are you one of us?

#309162 - 02/24/08 02:40 PM Re: Just a small rant [Re: Scion]
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

That post in the official answer forum scare you? Cause it scared me too. I'm really bad at pointing out when I'm being sarcastic. A dry sense of humor can truly be a curse. \:o

#309164 - 02/24/08 02:44 PM Re: Just a small rant [Re: FalloutGod]
Scion Offline

Loc: London, UK
No, being warned by a moderator did. Someone complained about what I said so I wanted to clarify that it was definitely a joke.

I'm amazed Hellbent666 lasted as long as he did around here, mainly for happily declaring his criminal past (going as far as to have his original avatar being him dressed in prison fatigues) but also for just generally being a dick.

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

www.vampiretemple.com - are you one of us?

#309189 - 02/24/08 04:35 PM Re: Just a small rant [Re: Scion]
C.F. Kane Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Bat City
May I suggest you "kill" her with kindness?

More specifically, you could spend some effort to give her the impression you are actually, even overly concerned with the noise. By constantly leaving notes: knocking on the door, and even calling to make sure you aren't being too loud, you might pester her enough to give. You could over react to every "bump" in the night, and, perhaps, go out of your way to create a few "bumps" of your own. I think in a short time she might get the point.

Smoothies for breakfast are always good for one's health, and when made al fresco, can be additionally rewarding. I find them best served right after dawn when many are just beginning to wake.

If this is a no go, there are always balloons. You could get a "condolences" arrangement and sneak in some "over the hill" items, or something else that may bring a little self-consciousness to your neighbor. Either that or cast a spell.
"This is my body which is broken for you, this do in remembrance of me." - I Cor. 11:24

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry." -Mark Twain

"Maybe I'll make some teeth and whiskers." -C.F. Kane

#309193 - 02/24/08 04:42 PM Re: Just a small rant [Re: phoenixrisen]
Vestiphobic Offline

Loc: Minnesota
 Originally Posted By: phoenixrisen

\
Now...how to pay back my lovely neighbour? Any legal (not that I would expect anything else from you folks ;\) ) suggestions?

Easy solution;

Loud non stop sex noises for at least 3 hours straight.

However you decide to persue it, is up to you, I've done it to my former neighbor both ways.

#309197 - 02/24/08 04:59 PM The result. [Re: C.F. Kane]
phoenixrisen Offline

Loc: Manchester, England
 Originally Posted By: Exsanguinate!!!
Either that or cast a spell.

Well, this is what I initially had in mind. I was certainly angry enough (if that was the kind of spell you were thinking of) at the time, but the emotion faded.

HOWEVER.

I just received word from the choir that I didn't pass the audition. Now, it could be that I simply didn't meet the standards, and I can accept that. But I'm annoyed because I know that I could have done so much better; I have proved so to myself and to my teacher who would not have encouraged me to audition if she didn't think I had a chance. I also know that my neighbour's disturbance did affect my mood and my preparation.

Again, how much of the result was due to that factor and how much of it was simply due to the current level of my singing ability, I don't know. But I may as well take it out on my neighbour. Ritually or otherwise, if I find a way that won't have negative repercussions on myself.

With any luck I will be out of student halls and living in an apartment next year. That should help matters.

EDIT: In my annoyance I forgot to add my thanks for the encouraging and humorous responses to my posts in this thread. Given the way I was feeling that night, they did make a difference, even if they were just opinions from strangers online.

Edited by phoenixrisen (02/24/08 05:02 PM)
Edit Reason: Added something.

She's not little, no minion like me--
That's why she ensnared him.

- The Laboratory by Robert Browning

#309207 - 02/24/08 05:34 PM Re: The result. [Re: phoenixrisen]
Damaeon96 Offline
Banned

Loc: Kentucky
Quick story.

I was accepted to a national music festival in my junior year of high school. I played bassoon and was eager to perform with other top rated students. We had auditions for seating within the band that was going to perform. Needless to say I blew the audition and was placed on 2nd chair (there was only 2 of us.) Fun part is the first chair bassoonist couldn't play most of the music to save her life and I had to carry the part throughout practice and during the performance.

The point of the story is that the result of an audition has no bearing on your musical ability or talent. I'll bet you money that somewhere down the line the choir director is gonna look back and say "Why did we pass her up?"

P.S. May I suggest higher register chromatic scales for your neighbors. Something in C minor perhaps:)

"Here's to hell. May the stay there be as fun as the way there!" - Groucho Marx

#309218 - 02/24/08 06:42 PM Re: The result. [Re: Damaeon96]
phoenixrisen Offline

Thank you for sharing that story. I know how it feels to play second fiddle...I literally did so when I was in orchestra.

The reason for my anger is not so much that I didn't pass the audition but that it went badly, which leaves me wondering if the result may have been different had it gone well.

But, as you said, a single audition has little effect in the long run. And I know that a musician should get used to failing auditions simply due to the fierce competition; it's highly unlikely that you're going to be the best of the bunch every single time.

#309248 - 02/24/08 08:54 PM Re: Just a small rant [Re: Vestiphobic]
Risen08 Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Vestiphobic

\
Now...how to pay back my lovely neighbour? Any legal (not that I would expect anything else from you folks ;\) ) suggestions?

Easy solution;

Loud non stop sex noises for at least 3 hours straight.

However you decide to persue it, is up to you, I've done it to my former neighbor both ways.

From http://www.overlawyered.com

Sued for taking baths too early
Shannon Peterson, a special education teacher in the Arvada, Colo. public schools, "can't believe she's being sued for bathing before leaving for work." But the elderly couple who lives upstairs from her Denver condo unit have been complaining about noisy pipes, and unfortunately for Ms. Peterson they happen to have a son, Sheldon Smith, who's an attorney at the large law firm of Holland and Hart. Represented by their son, the Smiths "sued Peterson just before Christmas, citing the 'reckless and negligent use of her bathtub.'" Before that, the younger Smith had fired off a letter to Peterson, saying her "intransigence ... and tortuous conduct have resulted in incredible sleep deprivation for Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Your obstinacy has ruled the day. That will now cease." According to the Denver Post, his demand letter insisted that Peterson not run water in her bathtub before 8 a.m. Peterson says she can't afford steep legal fees on a schoolteacher's salary; a judge has scheduled a hearing on the suit for March 22. (Mike McPhee, "Lawsuit: Baths swamp sleep", Denver Post, Feb. 21).

#309256 - 02/24/08 09:18 PM Re: Just a small rant [Re: Risen08]
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

Can I sue my self for not suing anyone? This stuff just never stops getting absurd, just when you think you heard the last of it. What was a few years back. Some guy tried to rob someone and fell through their roof onto a knife. He won the law suit too.

#309269 - 02/24/08 09:37 PM Re: Just a small rant [Re: Risen08]
phoenixrisen Offline

That just defies belief.

#309455 - 02/25/08 10:37 AM I hear you. [Re: phoenixrisen]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
But the general population doesn't tend to be very supportive of, er, real musicians. Only recently there was a local incident in which a married couple, both excellent violinists, were given a warning by the council just for practicing.

I remember that. It was in the Manchester Evening News, wasn't it? A great pity. I approve of good classical music in Manchester, ranging from the string quartet that pops up from time to time in Market Street, to the Hallé orchestra that I go see when time permits. Have you ever performed in Bridgewater Hall? The acoustics there are amazing; I've been to the theatre at Epidaurus (famed for millenia for its acoustics) and think that Bridgewater Hall's acoustics are more impressive.

Quote:
You can play hip-hop and chart music at full volume until the early hours of the morning and have parties every night but as soon as someone picks up an instrument or puts some Verdi on (during reasonable hours, no less), it's anathema.

Indeed. I used to live next to a guitarist, in the Northern Quarter. Since I worked nights and his music was not bad, I did not consider this a problem, however.

These days, I live just across the river from Manchester Cathedral and Chetham's School of Music, but the only music I hear in this place comes from the stereo in the living room.

For the record, that was the Stone Roses yesterday evening, Ian Brown solo work this morning, and Mozart this afternoon. My musical taste is eclectic, yes.

#309476 - 02/25/08 12:22 PM Re: I hear you. [Re: Linguascelesta]
phoenixrisen Offline

Originally Posted By: Linguascelesta
Have you ever performed in Bridgewater Hall? The acoustics there are amazing; I've been to the theatre at Epidaurus (famed for millenia for its acoustics) and think that Bridgewater Hall's acoustics are more impressive.

I haven't performed there (yet). Had I made it into the Hallé, I would have had the opportunity to do so. I will be auditioning for the Hallé Associates Choir (the Hallé B-Team, basically) in the near future. If I get in, I might have the chance to perform at the Bridgewater once a year or so. I have attended concerts there, however, and I have to agree on the acoustics.

#309478 - 02/25/08 12:23 PM Re: I hear you. [Re: Linguascelesta]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I would've been tickled pink in college if people in the dorms had actually played some Verdi.

As it turned out, I got to hear "My Humps" an awful lot, and this left something to be desired.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#309707 - 02/26/08 08:04 AM Re: I hear you. [Re: phoenixrisen]
Muse Offline

CoS Member

Loc: In Your Dreams
Become the music and sing on, sweetie! Might I suggest finding some powerful forte solos and venting your anger that way?? It'll release the stress, give the chords a work-out, and should produce a refreshing energy for you! Much luck to you!!

HS!
(Currently on hiatus while I attend to grad school, but I have every intention of bringing the show back when the time is right!)

The holy trinity: Me, Myself, and I.

"Does anyone ever realize life while they are living it? Every, every minute?"
- Emily, Our Town, by Thornton Wilder

"Life's like a ballgame. You gotta take a swing at whatever comes along before you wake up and find it's the ninth inning." ~Vera (Ann Savage) in Detour

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406366 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements