Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#309675 - 02/26/08 02:33 AM I believe I've seen quite enough...
Damaeon96 Offline
Banned

Loc: Kentucky
Well it's been an interesting 3 weeks on this forum. I have to say many of my original doubts about the Church of Satan have been rectified and I'm glad some took the time to do so. Of course there's always something.

It's almost comical to read a group of "free-thinkers" mistaking doubt and misinformation for stupidity. The most common response to any question, be it logical or otherwise, is "read the TSB." This is the same tactic to avoid answering questions concerning a 2,000 year old dogma now being applied to a 40 year old dogma.

Anton Lavey is indeed the founder of Satanism, I don't deny that, nor would I seek to discredit him in any way. Though the real test of any religion is not it's founder but the summations of it's followers. A common trend amongst many of it's members is to only give logical answers or advice to those that pay them lip-service at most every turn. Any other response is an immature effort to play devil's advocate and crush even the smallest doubt presented in a respectful manner. Even the the "splitting of hairs" or discussion of details is discouraged by many. Such an attitude screams "blind faith" instead of "question everything" and so I must "accept nothing."

I'm not a martyr. I write this as my last statement for the sake of propriety. Nothing more.

The title of Satanist or label of atheist is not something I subscribe to in either case. Considering what I've read these past weeks I'm sure some of the more eloquant posters will describe me as everything from "asshole" to "retard" and that's their prerogative. Such comments are shelters for the weak of character. Though I am guilty of making such statements while on this forum, I've come to realize there isn't much difference between "running with the pack" and "grazing with the herd."

And so I take my leave. If one of the moderators would be kind enough to ban me or whatever the situation calls for. To all those I shared a knid word with, I bid you farewell. To everyone else, I bid you nothing.

"Here's to hell. May the stay there be as fun as the way there!" - Groucho Marx

#309685 - 02/26/08 05:41 AM Re: I believe I've seen quite enough... [Re: Damaeon96]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Circling A Star
Do not make the mistake of passing judgement on Satanism by the folks you meet on an internet message board. That is why the most common answer to your questions was "read TSB". The answers to your questions lie there, not in the words of internet posters; half of whom do not understand Satanism themselves. Would you study for an English test by asking questions on an internet message board? Not if you want the real information.

If the words in TSB work for you and apply to your world view, enjoy them and use them to your benefit. If they do not, move on and realize you are not a Satanist without trying to bend them to your liking just so you can call yourself one.

Either way, good riddance.

"When the great lord passes, the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts."
-Ethiopian Proverb

#309688 - 02/26/08 06:05 AM Re: I believe I've seen quite enough... [Re: Damaeon96]
ABZU Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Oregon
 Quote:

The most common response to any question, be it logical or otherwise, is "read the TSB."

I sometimes ponder how the droves of teat suckling intellectual cripples survived before the internet came about. I know there are many here who, like me, survived just fine with the information in the books (and the Black Flame coursing in our veins) for many, many years. I never needed to ask anyone any questions about Satanism, ever. Why would any Satanist ask any other man toÖ

Oh shit, I just fed it didnít I. oops

Church of Satan

"As I have stated, the paradox where more people are "talking" dark forces up, down, and sideways, but fewer than ever are actually living as night people, provokes speculation. The moral here is that when everybody's talking, very few are doing. More time is spent comparing notes with aficionados than in enjoying the hobby per se."
A.S.L. / T.D.N.

#309705 - 02/26/08 07:54 AM Questions [Re: Damaeon96]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
“Why the fuck you asking so many jackass questions for?”- Captain Spalding

There is a wonderful forum on this message board called “Questions about the Church of Satan”. Any newcomer would do well to ask questions there, and there alone.

If you look at the exchange in that forum, it is seen that legitimate questions are answered in a timely fashion. If the answer is given in “The Satanic Bible”, the questioner is pointed in that direction. Just because someone is a Satanist does not mean they are able to explain it to others. That is like assuming that, because I have a body, I am a biologist. That is why the titles “Priest/Priestess” are given to those who can. This tantrum is no reason anyone with actual questions, after reading “The Satanic Bible” should not take advantage of that resource. Before I was familiar with this forum, after reading “The Satanic Bible”, I met with someone I knew had a long history in the CoS. I conferred with him, explained my understanding of Satanism, as described in “The Satanic Bible”, to make sure I was not under any major misunderstandings.

This forum makes such a discourse possible, in the “Questions About the Church of Satan” area, after one has read “The Satanic Bible”. The careful observer will see a pattern here. This is a suggestion to conscientious newcomers as to how someone who was also once a conscientious newcomer made it through the waters without hitting any major rocks along the way.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#309720 - 02/26/08 09:01 AM Re: Questions [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

To add to your point Roho, there are those here who have taken the time to STUDY Satanism, to truly gain insight into what it is.

Those looking for a 'quick and easy' answer are usually the ones least deserving of being given one!

The suggestion that people read The Satanic Bible or do some research for their answer is in itself a form of stratification. As seen above, those who lack the desire (or ability) to come to their own understanding of Satanism are quickly left out in the cold.

;\)

#309730 - 02/26/08 09:49 AM Re: I believe I've seen quite enough... [Re: Minus]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Minus
Either way, good riddance.

My sentiments exactly Minus

#309737 - 02/26/08 10:48 AM Re: Questions [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
 Originally Posted By: AsecZonei
To add to your point Roho, there are those here who have taken the time to STUDY Satanism, to truly gain insight into what it is.

In a moment of mental lapse, I almost replied, "You don't know how badly I wish I could say that goes without saying"; but, I am sure that you DO know how bad I wish I could say that. The real world...

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#309744 - 02/26/08 11:01 AM Re: Questions [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Before I was familiar with this forum, after reading “The Satanic Bible”, I met with someone I knew had a long history in the CoS. I conferred with him, explained my understanding of Satanism, as described in “The Satanic Bible”, to make sure I was not under any major misunderstandings.

I've seen the same principle applied within my field of work. If one is working on a programming problem it sometimes help to explain what you aim to achieve and what your process has been so far. While you formulate what you know you also have to run through the internal logic of what you are saying.

But very often I've seen on the net that people just throw their code into a forum with a subject like "Why doesn't this work - NEED URGENT SOLUTION!!!".

So I guess the attitude is not limited to Satanism \:\)

#309836 - 02/26/08 06:46 PM Re: Questions [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
In a moment of mental lapse, I almost replied, "You don't know how badly I wish I could say that goes without saying"; but, I am sure that you DO know how bad I wish I could say that. The real world...

Oh so very true sir! ;\)

#312844 - 03/07/08 11:33 PM Re: Questions [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
DexRex Offline

Loc: UK
I would tend to agree with Roho - most of the answers ARE indeed in TSB, and this is a forum for people who do have at least TSB in common.

All of my questions that have been answered by hierachy/moderators have been done so politely and quickly.

However, I too have also had some replies off 'civilians' who were saying 'read TSB' when TSB simply did not refer to what I was asking about! But I take the rough with the smooth: not every reply given will be satisfactory.

Bon Voyage, Damaeon96, hope you find what you are looking for. Although, I hope you won't be judging ALL satanists from the few you corresponded with on here...maybe you should have made better use of the 'ignore user' function?

#312909 - 03/08/08 09:31 AM Answers. [Re: DexRex]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
 Originally Posted By: DexRex
However, I too have also had some replies off 'civilians' who were saying 'read TSB' when TSB simply did not refer to what I was asking about!

Chances are it had sections that were relevant, and would answer your question if you applied it, and you simply missed it because it was one of the few things that wasn't spelled out in black and white, because the good Doktor thought it would be obvious / thought that those who didn't think it would be obvious weren't worth bothering with.

I'm not saying this is the case with the issues to which you allude; I haven't read them. I'm just saying "chances are".

Of course if you want to point to them by means of links, I'd be perfectly happy to either illustrate or else apologise for misjudging, whichever is appropriate

#312916 - 03/08/08 09:54 AM Re: I believe I've seen quite enough... [Re: Minus]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

The answers to your questions lie there, not in the words of internet posters; half of whom do not understand Satanism themselves.

Unfortunately it turns out it's the ones who know the least that talk the most.

Whether or not this particular one is a dumbass, it is an unfortunate truth that the behavior of a handful of know-it-alls makes the rest of us look like assholes.

#312917 - 03/08/08 09:58 AM Re: I believe I've seen quite enough... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
 Quote:
Unfortunately it turns out it's the ones who know the least that talk the most.

Whether or not this particular one is a dumbass, it is an unfortunate truth that the behavior of a handful of know-it-alls makes the rest of us look like assholes.

Bingo. Sadly, those words are all too true.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#312921 - 03/08/08 10:07 AM Re: I believe I've seen quite enough... [Re: Bruja]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

The worst part is that each and every one of the guilty will read this smugly and think, "Oh, he's talking about 'x', that person always rubbed me the wrong way. He's certainly not talking about me."

#313435 - 03/10/08 04:28 AM Re: Answers. [Re: Linguascelesta]
DexRex Offline

Loc: UK
Many thanks for the kind offer, but it's really not such a big problem. As I said, if I have had any questions answered from Hierachy they have (so far) been most satisfactory, and have sorted out any small previous annoyances.

Thanks again.

#313465 - 03/10/08 06:42 AM Re: Answers. [Re: DexRex]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
You are most welcome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406368 Posts