Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#308679 - 02/22/08 12:02 PM Just a small rant
phoenixrisen Offline

Loc: Manchester, England
I have an audition for a fairly prestigious local choir in about an hour's time; I'm setting off very soon. I've been working towards this all week. My teacher advised me to warm up prior to setting off. I was in the middle of doing so when my neighbour banged on the wall quite aggressively.

I continued my warm-ups in the bathroom with the door closed. The reason I didn't just carry on regardless was because I'm already feeling shaken and nervous enough without having an angry neighbour on my doorstep. I'd like to say that things like this don't get to me, but sometimes they do, on an emotional level at least, and this is the worst possible time.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome. However, I confess, I posted this just to get it off my chest.

She's not little, no minion like me--
That's why she ensnared him.

- The Laboratory by Robert Browning

#308681 - 02/22/08 12:08 PM Re: Just a small rant [Re: phoenixrisen]
x9x Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Flanders - Europe
Go for it!!!!!

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
|| Benjamin Franklin ||

The lack of money is the root of all evil.
|| George Bernard ||

#308683 - 02/22/08 12:09 PM Re: Just a small rant [Re: phoenixrisen]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Move in next to me. I won't complain.

Good luck on your audition.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#308685 - 02/22/08 12:21 PM Re: Just a small rant [Re: phoenixrisen]
Damaeon96 Offline
Banned

Loc: Kentucky
To hell with the "critics"

If they can't appreciate someone pursuing a musical endeavor then they don't deserve the ears attached to their head.

"Here's to hell. May the stay there be as fun as the way there!" - Groucho Marx

#308687 - 02/22/08 12:27 PM Re: Just a small rant [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
 Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Move in next to me. I won't complain.

No, no, no, move in next to meeeeeeeeee, phoenixrisen. I make a far better neighbor than Roho, I promise. He has this nasty habit of waking everyone up at dawn.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#308690 - 02/22/08 12:30 PM Re: Just a small rant [Re: Shade]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
 Originally Posted By: Shade
He has this nasty habit of waking everyone up at dawn.

I am being SUCH a good boy right now.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#308691 - 02/22/08 12:31 PM Re: Just a small rant [Re: Damaeon96]
C.F. Kane Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Bat City
I can't imagine your warm up creating an illegal decibel level, unless you are, truly, a virtuoso. Sing on, I say!

I frequently make as much noise as possible when at home, of course, that is why I own a home. My neighbors are a bit farther off. Rituals get a bit noisy,too, and I wouldn't relish explaining that to their feeble little minds.

Sono Satanas!
"This is my body which is broken for you, this do in remembrance of me." - I Cor. 11:24

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry." -Mark Twain

"Maybe I'll make some teeth and whiskers." -C.F. Kane

#308714 - 02/22/08 02:27 PM Re: Just a small rant [Re: C.F. Kane]
phoenixrisen Offline

Student accommodation. You gotta love it.

Well, my audition wasn't a disaster, but I know that I could have done so much better. I wasn't warmed up properly and the nerves were definitely there. But, it's over, and I should hear back in a couple of days.

Now...how to pay back my lovely neighbour? Any legal (not that I would expect anything else from you folks ;\) ) suggestions?

#308729 - 02/22/08 03:40 PM Re: Just a small rant [Re: phoenixrisen]
Scion Offline

Loc: London, UK
Poo in a bag through the letter box. Works every time.

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

www.vampiretemple.com - are you one of us?

#308759 - 02/22/08 05:35 PM Re: Just a small rant [Re: phoenixrisen]
Damaeon96 Offline
Banned

Loc: Kentucky
Find a collection of music from the baroque period. Place speakers against the walls and play at a decent level. No immediate effect but over time their nerves will shatter:)

"Here's to hell. May the stay there be as fun as the way there!" - Groucho Marx

#308763 - 02/22/08 05:52 PM Re: Just a small rant [Re: Damaeon96]
phoenixrisen Offline

I'd like to extend my thanks to Shade and Roho for the moving-in offers. Much appreciated

Damaeon96, I quite like your suggestion. I was thinking of something along those lines.

I would even consider following Scion's suggestion were the mailboxes not communal ones located in the reception rather than in individual flats or rooms.

I'm just going to keep doing what I do. After all, these halls are supposed to be for students. Although I'm not a music major, I could easily claim that I am and say that practice is central to my course (which it would be, were I majoring in music). Even if my neighbour decided to call on the caretaker - which I doubt he/she would - surely I would have a case.

But the general population doesn't tend to be very supportive of, er, real musicians. Only recently there was a local incident in which a married couple, both excellent violinists, were given a warning by the council just for practicing. You can play hip-hop and chart music at full volume until the early hours of the morning and have parties every night but as soon as someone picks up an instrument or puts some Verdi on (during reasonable hours, no less), it's anathema.

#308781 - 02/22/08 07:20 PM Re: Just a small rant [Re: phoenixrisen]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
 Quote:
You can play hip-hop and chart music at full volume until the early hours of the morning and have parties every night but as soon as someone picks up an instrument or puts some Verdi on (during reasonable hours, no less), it's anathema.

That's a real shame. College is where you should be exposed to new things and have the freedom to choose what you enjoy.

I went to a small liberal arts college (no, not the type with the smelly hippies) and we were encouraged to explore all of the arts AND sciences. We were routinely invited to our professor's or alumnae houses for dinner. Several times a month notable individuals (authors, scientists, musicians, dancers) gave lectures or performances. Furthermore, I was first introduced to opera in college, the school bought a couple of dozen tickets to a professional performance downtown and the first several students who responded to the email were given tickets for themselves and a guest. That was a night I will never forget.

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#308786 - 02/22/08 08:05 PM Re: Just a small rant [Re: phoenixrisen]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:
You can play hip-hop and chart music at full volume until the early hours of the morning and have parties every night but as soon as someone picks up an instrument or puts some Verdi on (during reasonable hours, no less), it's anathema.

I have to endure that sometimes. I wish it was someone playing a violin.

I hope your audition went well.

HS!

#308863 - 02/23/08 09:01 AM Re: Just a small rant [Re: Scion]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Contents of previous post removed since the attempted humor could be misinterpreted as actually endorsing the behavior.

Edited by verszou (02/23/08 10:34 AM)
Edit Reason: Complaint about content.

#308869 - 02/23/08 10:13 AM Re: Just a small rant [Re: AurEum]
phoenixrisen Offline

Originally Posted By: ealaiontoir
I went to a small liberal arts college (no, not the type with the smelly hippies) and we were encouraged to explore all of the arts AND sciences. We were routinely invited to our professor's or alumnae houses for dinner. Several times a month notable individuals (authors, scientists, musicians, dancers) gave lectures or performances. Furthermore, I was first introduced to opera in college, the school bought a couple of dozen tickets to a professional performance downtown and the first several students who responded to the email were given tickets for themselves and a guest. That was a night I will never forget.

That sounds great. I only wish that my college was like that. We have plenty of smelly hippies and communist sympathisers, but not much else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12283 Members
73 Forums
43883 Topics
404450 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements