Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#309132 - 02/24/08 12:40 PM Akkad [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

If you had difficulty in finding information, it's because the real scholars call that particular city-state Akkad, not Akkadia:

Wikipedia (to start)

Books like George Roux's Ancient Iraq will give a more in-depth primer.

Hope this helps.

#309185 - 02/24/08 04:12 PM Re: Akkad [Re: Maqlu]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Loc: Florida
Thank you. It will, I'll check them out. Much appreciated.

#309763 - 02/26/08 12:55 PM Re: Akkad [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

You're welcome.

While this region doesn't get nearly as much scholarly interest as Egypt does (and let's face it - right now conditions are such that there isn't a whole lot of archeaological digging), there's still a wealth of fascinating information out there and enough books to take over your reading life. Have fun. \:D

#309776 - 02/26/08 02:06 PM Re: Akkad [Re: Maqlu]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Vive l'Akkadie ! ;\)

Uh-oh. I wonder if anyone other than Zaftig is going to laugh at that one.

#309787 - 02/26/08 03:15 PM Re: Akkad [Re: reprobate]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I will be your beloved Evangeline Bellefontaine to your Gabriel Lajeunesse.

#309792 - 02/26/08 03:38 PM Re: Akkad [Re: Zaftig]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
You have unwittingly unleashed the laughing demons over here.

I have a story to tell you about these two characters.

You are perhaps the only one here who will really appreciate how funny it is.

I will tell you in a PM.

#309903 - 02/26/08 10:21 PM want a real funny story ? [Re: Nemo]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

Actually at the beginning, this man didn't even have a kind of theory. I remember him in my town ( where he started : vieux Nice, cours Saleya ), and he was selling his own books in the street (with 1 or 2 "adepts"), everyone was throwing him peanuts...

When a friend and I walked to that stand of fortune where books were, we asked : "what is that 'book of the truth'" ?, suddenly his 2 followers came to us with that good commercial smile, speaking about the "grande révélation"...

Next question : "oh yeah...And why is this other book bigger...Does it contain more truths in fact ?" : here the "grand guru", who was a shy and insecure man at the beginning started to feel embarrassed, but answered with a smile :"this one is for those already initiate....", then he left and went inside a bar, as the stand was near it.

Curious on purpose, we asked to these followers how everything started, why him and yada yada.. That is their "fabulous" answer, word by word :

"Rael, like every morning, was making his jogging...suddenly he saw a light and he felt that something was taking him.. He understood later that it was Aliens. That is how he had the revelation and the message he must spread to the world".

( Now you know it. Lesson number one : NEEEEVER make jogging with some aluminium wrapped around you ).........

Right after this, we hear noises from the bar. This was the boss kicking Rael out, saying something like "get lost clown from space!" ...And we saw that super guru gathering the books with the help of his 2 supermarket cashier looking women, and ran away.

Now, a serious thing that raises the hypothesis that Rael is another Jesus (no, I'm joking ) :

Her mother,very old country woman with her old Christianity and stuff, kind old grandma....When someone was asking her to joke :"so your son Rael has been into a spaceship and he was born by aliens ?"

The answer was always like this :" Who ?? Oooh yes, Claude ! You know, maybe it is possible ! Remember the virgin Mary and the angel ? Well, something similar has happened maybe...See : during Summer nights, I always leave the windows opened because of the heat !! "

Thank you Grandma.....No no, you drop that cigarette from space now, YOU...you drop it ...

( Lesson number 2 : if your grandma sleeps with the windows opened during Summer nights : she is a naughty woman searching to have sex with E.T )

if you look closer, his first book is not so different than this loopy Crowley and his "Book of the law".

Edited by Assabrah (02/26/08 10:45 PM)

#309908 - 02/26/08 10:40 PM Re: want a real funny story ? [Re: Assabrah]
Enigma777 Offline

Thank you all for your intelligent and informative insight.
I just wish some of you could have seemed a little less angry in your replies. I never intended it to be a highly serious debate. Just a thought. I don't believe in it myself, I was just curious and a bit interested at most. Never took them seriously though.
Let them believe what they want, but I will have no part in it.

#310022 - 02/27/08 10:06 AM Re: want a real funny story ? [Re: Assabrah]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
 Quote:
( Now you know it. Lesson number one : NEEEEVER make jogging with some aluminium wrapped around you ).........

And here I thought the look was very avante garde.

Dammit, Assabrah. Now I have to rethink my whole jogging ensemble.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#310144 - 02/27/08 05:40 PM Re: Church of Satan and Raelism [Re: Enigma777]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I have friend ho was recently invited to a Raelian church meeting (or whatever their services are called)

He accepted because he was interested in meeting people who would buy his art. Apparently the Realians are famous for having money and he thought he could sell them some flying saucer paintings or something’s.

Among the things he noticed was the amount of people of other religions who assist to the Raelian cult. They have the same opinion, that Realianism doesn’t interfere with their system of believes, so they can be Raelians and at the same time still Catholic, Jewish or whatever.

The second thing he noticed was the great emphasis on the sex part of the Raelian philosophy. There was a lot of talk about shedding society’s inhibition and freely loving each other. Sex was the central theme and it all looked like the point of the meeting was just an excuse for the participants to engage in group sex later.

He noticed some of the Raelians were mature men who showed a great interest in the younger converts and he saw people being greeted with more-affectionate-than-usual gestures like kisses and butt grabs.

Since the males outnumbered the females my friend was not very interested in staying, so he can’t tell if the party ended in a big orgy or the members later split in smaller groups. But one participant called him later to tell him “he missed the fun”.

This is not my personal experience, but something that happened to a friend. But I think it kind of explains the attractive the Raelian cult has for people of other religions.

#310146 - 02/27/08 05:49 PM Re: Church of Satan and Raelism [Re: Old_Pig]
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

If what your friend recounted was true and you understood and imparted his account correctly then I would agree. That perhaps would explain the attraction, that and I found the information that you can be a member of a monotheistic religion and realism at the same time to be quite interesting. I didn't realize it was as common as the story makes it sound.

#310149 - 02/27/08 05:57 PM Re: Church of Satan and Raelism [Re: FalloutGod]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I must ad that the situation described could be exclusive of this particular Raelian church. I don't know if that reflects the Raelian religion in general of it's the contribution of this city's local flavor.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Forum Stats
11890 Members
73 Forums
43636 Topics
404143 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements