Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#310381 - 02/28/08 02:58 PM Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

So there's all sorts of under-frost and polar ice caps melting. Tons of methane gas getting ready to be released and/or being released. The evidence is clearly overwhelming. This problem is growing at an accelerated rate and the here and now may be affected for all of us within a few decades. I was just curious to hear the opinions and ideas of those concerned. I've just turned 22 last night and hope to live a good bit longer. I'd like to live in an environment where I don't get cooked alive by stepping outside. I realize the issue is kind of old but lets face it, it's still here. I just flipped on the TV out of boredom and I'm the kinda person that would turn on the History channel or Discovery. So there you have it. \:\)

Edited by FalloutGod (02/28/08 03:00 PM)

#310386 - 02/28/08 03:09 PM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: FalloutGod]
Quatermass Offline
CoS Member

Loc: England
Yes, this latest end-of-the-world cult seems to be catching on, doesn't it?

It's probably because it gets so much attention on television. I don't own a television, so I'm generally unaffected by global warming, thankfully.

Let me know if they set a date for the climate apocalypse, I shalln't see it on the news.

#310390 - 02/28/08 03:15 PM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: Quatermass]
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

All the scientific arguments for rapid climate change are proving valid. Is there some logical way you can explain the sudden changes and why they keep occurring more and more dramatically? Why they(changes) are starting to damage housing and roads in places where under-frost is starting to melt at dramatic rates?

Edited by FalloutGod (02/28/08 03:17 PM)

#310391 - 02/28/08 03:18 PM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: FalloutGod]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

No they are not. This has been discussed at length in the members forum, so I will not engage in any debates here.

Man made global warming is a hoax perpetrated by left wing politics.

I suggest you conduct an internet search under "debunking global warming".

Stop drinking the Koolaid.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#310394 - 02/28/08 03:20 PM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: Quatermass]
Never Offline

Loc: Skien, Norway
 Originally Posted By: Quatermass
Let me know if they set a date for the climate apocalypse, I shalln't see it on the news.

Two days before the day after tomorrow.

#310396 - 02/28/08 03:26 PM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: FalloutGod]
Direktor Offline
CoS Member

Why worry? Past civilizations throughout the existence of the world have gone through global climate changes to some extent. Is this one? Perhaps - I don't think so, but perhaps. I'm not so worried about saving the here and now, rather than just enjoying it. It reminds me of a scene in Herzog's Nosferatu where an inevitably doomed bunch of townsfolk celebrate life and each other's company, all the while feasting among rats and stricken with the plague. It's rather quite moving. ;\)

"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior."
-Hippolyte Taine

#310397 - 02/28/08 03:26 PM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: Phineas]
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

Granted it may not be man made, but surly all these researchers and scientists can't be full of hot air. The have proven to me at least as much as there is visible change over time that has not been there before. I don't need proof that the change is man made or not. When there is evidence of change that could effect me negatively. Instead is there proof that this evidence I've been reading and hearing about is false? I seem to be very hard pressed to believe it is when I talk to people who have seen the changes first hand. Versus those who sit at home and in their minds imagine it does not exist.

#310398 - 02/28/08 03:28 PM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: FalloutGod]
Quatermass Offline
CoS Member

Loc: England
Sorry, I'm with Magister Phineas on this, so you'll have to do your own homework.

If you're not too busy recycling paper or something equally pointless. ;\)

#310400 - 02/28/08 03:29 PM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: Phineas]
SHIGALYOV Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Antarctica
I agree on the part that this is a hoax. I actually discussed this with my grandmother, and she said this has been a topic that has been coming and going since the war (WW2). They always need a new fear-inducing "terror/enemy" to keep the public in check and their minds off the real problems.

HS!

E.

#310401 - 02/28/08 03:31 PM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: FalloutGod]
JayLucif Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Helheim
Regardless how the climate may or may not change I will survive with all my might and ability.
Also it is not the under frost, but is actually called the permafrost.
What evidence regarding Global warming? Most information is based on twisted data, and political tactics for votes.
Now if one is to look at say localized climate change is more related to how large the human population currently is. There is a self correcting ability here for nature to fix itself due to ignorant Humans who fail to pay attention. Massive human disease and starvation as ugly as it seems, fixes the human over breeding problems that cause all these "environmental worries" in the first place.

This world has had massive extinction kill offs, volcanoes that have altered the world's weather, as well as massive asteroids miles across slamming into the earth, life still finds a way to stay alive and continue after the skies clear.

Relax you are alive today right? If so then worry about living today as if it was your last, and then move onto the next day. Why worry about supposed events that even most scientists have no idea what the real outcomes will be in the end. Might as well open up the Xian bible to Revelations and worry over supposed what ifs?

As far as the polar ice caps melting, well this has been going on for millions of years melting, freezing, melting, freezing. Way it is. Just be smart enough to move closer inland when "water seeks it's own level".

Edited by JayLucif (02/28/08 03:35 PM)

Freedom, baby is never having to say you're sorry. Guilt is like a bag of fuckin' bricks. All ya gotta do is set it down. John Milton - The Devil's Advocate!

I'm gonna pull the whole thing down. I'm gonna bring the whole fuckin' diseased, corrupt temple down on your head. It's gonna be biblical. Clyde Shelton - Law Abiding Citizen!

------------------------------------------------------------

#310402 - 02/28/08 03:34 PM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: Quatermass]
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

Originally Posted By: Quatermass

If you're not too busy recycling paper or something equally pointless. ;\)

I only did that in 6th grade for some school fund raiser. I haven't recycled anything in ages. In fact I almost got in a fight with someone who got mad because my throw didn't make the trash can. I didn't mind discarding my garbage properly but I did mind them getting in my face. How was I suppose to know they'd get their panties in a bunch because a non-biodegradable container fell on mother earth? Green peace people are crazy, this guy literally tried to punch me.

#310407 - 02/28/08 03:44 PM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: JayLucif]
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

Well you and including everyone else has a good point about enjoying the here and now. Awareness never hurt anyone, in fact I find being aware of circumstances can help in the long run. Right? I'm still enjoying life but I'm not going to pretend that things are not going a bit sour in nature.

EDIT: Thanks for the correction by the way. I find the term permafrost is a bit misleading. :P

Edited by FalloutGod (02/28/08 03:45 PM)

#310411 - 02/28/08 03:57 PM Dont worry yet... [Re: FalloutGod]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Most of the arguments about global warming and the science-fiction style disasters shown in movies can be debunked with only two words:

Ice Floats.

#310412 - 02/28/08 04:00 PM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: FalloutGod]
JayLucif Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Helheim
 Originally Posted By: FalloutGod
Right? I'm still enjoying life but I'm not going to pretend that things are not going a bit sour in nature.

Sweet or Sour regarding nature who knows? These things matter not to me, the smart and strong will survive the dumb and weak will die off as it has always been, even if the worlds weather should really go south as the fear mongers keep screaming about.
All that matters for me is my drive to live and exist, other than that I will keep marching forward. Unless you can influence the subilities of the entire universe, and control every action of every Human you have very little control over what may or may not happen or even say on how anything will come out in the end. Why worry about what can not be really controlled? The worlds weather has always been a violent and sometimes deadly force, welcome to life and living under natural selection. If Humanity faces extinction so be it, that is the way nature works. Though I will not lose any sleep over it. Kind of like worrying about the sun burning out, what is the point?

Freedom, baby is never having to say you're sorry. Guilt is like a bag of fuckin' bricks. All ya gotta do is set it down. John Milton - The Devil's Advocate!

I'm gonna pull the whole thing down. I'm gonna bring the whole fuckin' diseased, corrupt temple down on your head. It's gonna be biblical. Clyde Shelton - Law Abiding Citizen!

------------------------------------------------------------

#310415 - 02/28/08 04:08 PM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: JayLucif]
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

Originally Posted By: JayLucif
Kind of like worrying about the sun burning out, what is the point?

*Hides his "In case of Zombie Attack" kit*(sarcasm, I don't really have one) Uh, no point. I just like to be prepared for anything that's coming, that's all. So when the probability of something occurring increases I look over my options. Better safe than sorry right? Not that I'd go stock pile a silo or something like some guy did during the Y2k scare. Nah, a well maintained rifle and some rounds do nicely for most disasters. XD

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12011 Members
73 Forums
43824 Topics
405204 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements