Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#310672 - 02/29/08 10:45 AM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: Trouble_Maker]
JayLucif Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Helheim
 Originally Posted By: Trouble_Maker
In the late 1700's there was a "year without a summer" noted all over the world. Crops devastated, widespread famine. Part of a geothermal cycle? Some believe so.

Hum not to detract from the started thread but the year without a summer was recorded all over the world in various fashions, that was in the year 1816.

"Historian John D. Post has called this "the last great subsistence crisis in the Western world". It appears to have been caused by a volcanic winter."

The consensus it was the massive explosive eruption of the Volcanic eruption of Mount Tambora. Also several other major Volcanic erputions where active at the time as well,
La Soufrière on Saint Vincent in the Caribbean in 1812,
Mayon in the Philippines in 1814

Also the War of 1812 in North America had also been ragging as well all over the Eastern American/Canadian Seaboard.

"The War of 1812 was fought between the United States of America and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and its colonies, including Upper Canada (Ontario), Lower Canada (Quebec), Nova Scotia, Bermuda and Newfoundland."

So agricultural resources where stretched a bit thin by the time 1816 rolled around and also when a devastating environmental natural event happened.

Year Without A Summer

War of 1812

There was also another major Volcano Eruption that effected weather severely in the year 1883 until about 1888.
Just for added emphases on how Volcanic eruptions can effect global climates.

Mount Krakatau

I am keeping my eye on a possible future major Yellowstone Volcano Eruption than anything else right now, even possible depleted Oil reserves, I can walk but I can't breath Volcanic dust all that well. Other volcanic scientists rightly are doing the same thing, keeping an eye on how the inner caldera Yellowstone National Park sits inside off. That baby decides to go off all of North America will be grinding and gnashing of teeth. Early estimates say the massive possible explosion could be many times that of Mount St. Helen's. Just some extra side information to consider when one takes that next travel/hiking trip to a famous Volcano Mountain.

Edited by JayLucif (02/29/08 10:55 AM)

Freedom, baby is never having to say you're sorry. Guilt is like a bag of fuckin' bricks. All ya gotta do is set it down. John Milton - The Devil's Advocate!

I'm gonna pull the whole thing down. I'm gonna bring the whole fuckin' diseased, corrupt temple down on your head. It's gonna be biblical. Clyde Shelton - Law Abiding Citizen!

------------------------------------------------------------

#310673 - 02/29/08 10:49 AM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: FalloutGod]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
 Quote:
So there's all sorts of under-frost and polar ice caps melting. Tons of methane gas getting ready to be released and/or being released. The evidence is clearly overwhelming. This problem is growing at an accelerated rate and the here and now may be affected for all of us within a few decades.

Even more remarkable is that Earth isn't the only planet this is happening on. There is evidence that our sun is currently experiencing a period of increased activity causing average planetary temperatures to rise throughout the solar system.

That said, I do support some ideas which would lower carbon emissions. Not because of anything pertaining to global warming, but more for reasons pertaining to American national security and other environmental issues.

The focus over the last few years has been on future technologies which would take decades to implement and even longer to make profitable while feasible, profitable current technology has been all but ignored.

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#310674 - 02/29/08 10:52 AM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: Virus9]
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

Interesting, thank you for the input. It appears that more often than not the simple solution is the best way. Though the simple solution can be the hardest to accomplish.

#310698 - 02/29/08 12:40 PM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: TrojZyr]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
Have you been listening to NPR as well? ;\)

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#310714 - 02/29/08 01:24 PM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: TheNaturalForce]
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

Thank You : )

Your response to the issue is admirable. Though I myself am undecided on it and the proper response. Too many buts and what ifs that obscure the whole picture for me. I'll bide my time and see what comes next, perhaps new studies and research by others will bring more conclusive results.

#310976 - 03/01/08 11:55 AM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: FalloutGod]
Night V8 Motor Offline

There are even many sensible, not blind, people on the left who agree that global warming is a hoax. Read the columns of Alexander Cockburn (I believe you can find them online for free). He lays it all out in a no-nonsense. Yes, the global warming scare is a hoax perpetrated by the media. Don't be a media slave!! Rev up that good old 350 small block with no guilt.

#313135 - 03/09/08 05:24 AM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: FalloutGod]
Majic Offline

Loc: Sagittarius III
Warm Welcome

Originally Posted By: FalloutGod
I'll bide my time and see what comes next, perhaps new studies and research by others will bring more conclusive results.

Bide your time? Bide your time?

For every second you "bide your time", another polar bear drowns, the seas rise another ten feet, twenty more species of something or another die and it's all your fault because some scientists, politicians and political action committees said so.

There's no time to think, because it's already too late, and the time to panic is now!

If you don't agree, then you're worse than a Holocaust denier!

After all, this is Science, and Science can never be wrong!

But fear not, because despite the fact that it's already too late, it's not really too late to save the world from your evil, wicked, polluting ways.

Yes, my friend, though there's no hope, there's still hope!

Just send me thousands of dollars (or even better: euros, because alas, it seems the value of the U.S. dollar is yet another casualty of the Global Warming Apocalypse) to pay for your Carbon Credits.™

Purchasing these Carbon Credits™ is the only way to save the world, and it's up to you to Do The Right Thing -- and hurry, lest you spend too much time thinking and not enough time doing.

Once you've given me sufficient money and power, you can rest assured you've done your part to combat Global Warming and can therefore justifiably feel spiritually cleansed, atoned, self-righteous and superior to those ignorant, selfish, contemptible people who don't buy the sacred Carbon Credits™ and therefore don't care about The Environment. (Boo! Hiss!)

Remember: The Future Is In Your Hands, But Only Carbon Credits™ Can Save The World.

So don't be a filthy slob! Do the right thing. Do what you know you must!

That is, unless you're a polar bear hater.

Won't somebody please think of the polar bears?

Send Me Money. Save A Polar Bear Today!™

#313142 - 03/09/08 06:30 AM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: Majic]
Morganti Offline

Quote:
Yes, we're pumping out greenhouse gases at a prodigious rate. Opinions differ on what exactly the ultimate consequences of this will be, but even in the very worst case they won't be the End Of The World.

1. CO2 levels have been up to 10 times higher in the past than they are now.

2. CO2 levels have never affected climate significantly, Ice core records show this. These are the records that Al Gore refers to, he mentions a link between CO2 levels and global warming. Yes there is a link, CO2 levels increase AFTER global warming.

3. The earth through out it's history has gone through climate change. Why is it strange to people that it is happening now?

4. Other planets in our solar system are currently going through climate change at this present time. This is thought to be a result of the suns increase in thermal energy.

Man made global warming is a scam, the solution to the problem of global warming is to tax you for carbon emissions and to restrict your travel. Population control has also been mentioned as a solution to "climate change".

The so called "Father of Modern Climatology" says that man made global warming is absurd. The founder of the Weather Channel is suing Al Gore, saying it is the biggest scam in the world.

The only reason people accept this scam is because the media is complicit in the crime, and when something is repeated over and over again it is considered reality by the herd. If you don't have an understanding of the past, then people can try and manipulate your future. The people behind this scam are quite clever when it comes to propaganda. They have even gone to the point of associating "Saving the Planet" with popular culture. They do this by making T-shirts (at my local globalist store) there are Global Warming t-shirts. They also held that "Live Earth" conference in order to try and associate it with popular culture that the herd likes.

Quote:
2) Is global warming caused by human actions?
The consensus seems to support the view that it probably is, but that the data is not strictly conclusive.

Over half of the scientists who's names were on the IPCC's report on Climate Change in 2007 did not agree that man made global warming existed. The media will have you believe otherwise, especially any that is owned by Rupert Murdoch. Shows how the media is able to impose a view, and of course it is parroted by people, some of which think they are smart for simply repeating what they have heard from the Television.

Edited by Morganti (03/09/08 06:36 AM)

#313154 - 03/09/08 08:02 AM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: FalloutGod]
Risen08 Offline
CoS Member

It all comes down to....

Pollution sucks, it brings no joy.

My SUV rocks, it brings much joy.

What's a Satanist to do?

BTW.. The report I read said it would take 400 years for 'humans to die off'. I'm willing to take my chances.

#313187 - 03/09/08 10:39 AM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: Risen08]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Well, you could always plan to get your SUV converted to accept algal ethanol \:\) . (The waaaave of the futurrrrrre!)

Or you could buy the SUV that has the best gas mileage, at least, since with oil at $3, many cars become much less fun.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#313200 - 03/09/08 11:14 AM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: TrojZyr]
Risen08 Offline
CoS Member

The results of a very unscientific experiment:

I drive 170 miles a day (long highway commute) and buy gas in two different states (New Jersey and Pennsylvania).

Pennsylvania's gas have a higher ethanol percentage (I believe)and some type of scammy winter blend.

New Jersey's gas is about 20 cents a gallon cheaper and I get better gas milage!

I'm not sure of the tax rates.

This whole hybrid, ethanol, biodiesel, piss in the tank thing is a scam. The government doesn't give a rat's ass about the enviroment, they want reveue to subsidize the farmers (conagra) who grow the corn that makes the ethanol.

I'm a nut, right?

Look at how much cornsyrup is in everything we eat.

Ok, back to topic.

If the US would just invade Mexico an set up national oil wells and take what is rightfully ours.........maybe I am a nut

About half of the previous rant is my real opinion, the other half malarkey. It's up to the reader to figure it out.

#313212 - 03/09/08 12:46 PM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: Risen08]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Corn ethanol would/will likely create a new host of problems, and the clear winners in the end would be ConAgra. You're right on all points there.

But, I said algal ethanol. Algae is something we've got lots of, and can make plenty of, I'd assume. I'm sure it has its cons, too, but I don't yet know what those would be.

#313303 - 03/09/08 06:55 PM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: TrojZyr]
Risen08 Offline
CoS Member

Algae, you want me to run my baby seal crushing, polar bear killing, world destroying, planet evicerating esuvee on algae?
Are you daft? I'm a man goddammit, and we only use REAL fuel.

Maybe I'll do a little research.

Thanx

#313387 - 03/09/08 11:07 PM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: Risen08]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Bwahaha \:\) .

I think algae's still in the early stages yet, but I came across an article about it a few weeks ago, and got quite excited.

#313489 - 03/10/08 09:08 AM Re: Global Warming and Responsibility to the Reponsible [Re: TrojZyr]
Morganti Offline

Recycle or go to Hell, warns Vatican

Quote:
Failing to recycle plastic bags could find you spending eternity in Hell, the Vatican said after drawing up a list of seven deadly sins for our times.

The seven, which include polluting the environment, were announced by Monsignor Gianfranco Girotti, a close ally of the Pope and the head of the Apostolic Penitentiary, one of the Roman Curia's main court.

The "sins of yesteryear" - sloth, envy, gluttony, greed, lust, wrath and pride - have a "rather individualistic dimension", he told the Osservatore Romano, the official Vatican newspaper.

The new seven deadly, or mortal, sins are designed to make worshippers realise that their vices have an effect on others as well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/03/10/eavatican110.xml

I know they are talking about pollution in general, but of course they have to join this scam as well, Anything for control.

Edited by Morganti (03/10/08 09:13 AM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12154 Members
73 Forums
43917 Topics
405731 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements