Topic Options
#310910 - 03/01/08 07:57 AM Turning the other cheek.
outtathaway Offline

Loc: Dunedin, New Zealand
Good evening everyone.

If a person is wronged, the Satanic Bible suggests not turning the other cheek.

But what if, for example, not turning the other cheek does not benefit the person in question? What if not turning the other cheek could worsen this person's mental/physical state?

Is it wrong to ignore an opportunity for vengeance when there will be no self-gratification, or harsh negative consequences?

Just a thought.

Jack

#310912 - 03/01/08 08:09 AM Re: Turning the other cheek. [Re: outtathaway]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
The only time that I would not seek vengeance is when it would benefit me. Even then, nobody has to know what goes on behind closed doors. What is more important to you: vengeance or a potential benefit of being inactive?

This is simply how I operate. Everybody needs to make their own decisions.

P.S. If somebody has wronged me I am not likely to be concerned with their mental or physical state.

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#310913 - 03/01/08 08:15 AM Re: Turning the other cheek. [Re: outtathaway]
JayLucif Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Helheim
Hum this topic has already been discussed in this part of the board and not too long ago either. Please read some of the older threads first or try the search function for topics you wish to discuss, there is a wealth of information buried in the database of these boards. Turning the other cheek.

Freedom, baby is never having to say you're sorry. Guilt is like a bag of fuckin' bricks. All ya gotta do is set it down. John Milton - The Devil's Advocate!

I'm gonna pull the whole thing down. I'm gonna bring the whole fuckin' diseased, corrupt temple down on your head. It's gonna be biblical. Clyde Shelton - Law Abiding Citizen!

------------------------------------------------------------

#310916 - 03/01/08 08:26 AM Re: Turning the other cheek. [Re: JayLucif]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
Yes, this topic has been recently discussed here. I get the impression that this is a genuine question and the poster has better intentions than the one who asked a similar question recently. At least this one is not quoting Matthew, Luke, and other inconsequential individuals.

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#310917 - 03/01/08 08:29 AM Re: Turning the other cheek. [Re: AurEum]
JayLucif Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Helheim
Could be, just thought I would post the link anyway just as a reference. Most of the ideas where hammered away there, no biggie.

Freedom, baby is never having to say you're sorry. Guilt is like a bag of fuckin' bricks. All ya gotta do is set it down. John Milton - The Devil's Advocate!

I'm gonna pull the whole thing down. I'm gonna bring the whole fuckin' diseased, corrupt temple down on your head. It's gonna be biblical. Clyde Shelton - Law Abiding Citizen!

------------------------------------------------------------

#310918 - 03/01/08 08:34 AM Re: Turning the other cheek. [Re: outtathaway]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
 Quote:
Is it wrong to ignore an opportunity for vengeance when there will be no self-gratification, or harsh negative consequences?

The answers are entirely found in your own opinion and judgment. Only you can decide whatever you feel is best for you.

If someone hurts me then I hurt them back, usually immediately. I don't stew over the details. If I find myself having to think about it, chances are that I ask myself whether the person deserves punishment and whether or not it will escalate the situation.

If it really is that complex and difficult to decide upon then I suggest weighing all the pros and cons carefully and then choose to do what you think will be better for yourself in the long run.

#310995 - 03/01/08 01:09 PM Re: Turning the other cheek. [Re: outtathaway]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
There's really no need to dream up elaborate analogies for the sake of hypothetically creating and arguing moral dillemas. Satanic philosophy is not a set of principles that you strive to adhere to against your will. There's a reason why the 9 statements are called the "Statements" and not "Commandments".

Self-preservation is the highest law, and you are ultimately responsible for your own actions. This ain't rocket science!

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#311212 - 03/02/08 03:34 AM Re: Turning the other cheek. [Re: outtathaway]
outtathaway Offline

Loc: Dunedin, New Zealand
Good evening everyone.

Thankyou for the responses. This is a very interesting subject, and you have made some very good points.

Before starting this thread I did read the poorly written one with the quotes to Luke and Matthew. My question is not the same as that person's, and the thread got such a negative reaction that starting a new one makes it easier for me.

Keep in mind that I am not asking for advice. In real life, the person should choose for themselves. As I have said, this is a very interesting subject and the thoughts of others are a personal gain to me. After all, having an opinion is boring if you do not know the opinions of others.

Just to clear up any confusion about my intentions.

Jack

Forum Stats
12255 Members
73 Forums
44035 Topics
406362 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements