Topic Options
#312538 - 03/06/08 04:33 PM Does this Qualify as a Religion in my case
necrolazelaznog Offline

I am planning in getting into Law Enforcement but I am facing the dilemma that I have long hair and I'm worried that I will be forced to get a clean cut. Another officer declared himself part Native American and so has the right to have long hair for religious reasons. I declare myself as a Satanist but bigoted people may not accept this. I would really like to officially denounce my catholic association and join this instead and it would be really great if along with my membership that I can declare that due to my religion that I have the right to Individualism by form of growing long hair.

#312564 - 03/06/08 06:25 PM Re: Does this Qualify as a Religion in my case [Re: necrolazelaznog]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
 Quote:
I am planning in getting into Law Enforcement but I am facing the dilemma that I have long hair and I'm worried that I will be forced to get a clean cut. Another officer declared himself part Native American and so has the right to have long hair for religious reasons. I declare myself as a Satanist but bigoted people may not accept this. I would really like to officially denounce my catholic association and join this instead and it would be really great if along with my membership that I can declare that due to my religion that I have the right to Individualism by form of growing long hair.

I'd love to see that conversation...

"...so you see, Sergeant, even though there aren't any actual religious requirements about hairstyle, Satanism is deeply rooted in pragmatism, individual responsibility, real life, and not whining about my own choices. There's a strong tradition of respect for authority, and another of being adaptable enough to work within existing social systems for my own ends. And that's why I'm going to throw a huge tantrum over a haircut."

That should work great! Let us know how it goes, okay?

-Chess

#312655 - 03/07/08 07:25 AM Re: Does this Qualify as a Religion in my case [Re: necrolazelaznog]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Loc: Florida
First, all Satanists support the tireless and often unappreciated efforts of responsible law enforcement. The fact that you want to be a police officer is admirable and fitting.

However,
 Quote:
it would be really great if along with my membership that I can declare that due to my religion that I have the right to Individualism by form of growing long hair.

that is simply not appropriate.

Satanists accept the world as it is, and work our lesser magical skills to manipulate it. There is no Satanic Right to Long Hair. While it may be a hallmark of your individualism it is not a tenet of Satanism and cannot be used as a religious exemption to existing rules. In fact, it would be wiser for a Satanic cop to look just like the all the other cops, and merely perform better.

The most Satanic thing you could do is do the job better than everyone else!

Y~

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#312662 - 03/07/08 07:57 AM Re: Does this Qualify as a Religion in my case [Re: Chess]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

CHESS-you sure have a way with words!
Your funny.

#312727 - 03/07/08 02:33 PM Re: Does this Qualify as a Religion in my case [Re: necrolazelaznog]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Circling A Star
Two things:

1) The fact that you are worried about having to cut your hair for one of the most rewarding occupations on the planet tells me that you are not grown up enough to make a very good officer. There are more important things to worry about in that line of work than how you look with a badge AND kick ass hair. Grow up. Cut your hair or do not pursue a line of work where short hair is mandatory.

2) Why would you endanger your safety by giving the bad guys all that hair to hold on to during a fight. Not very tactical thinking for a possible law enforcement candidate. You will not make it past the early stages of the application process with such a disregard for officer safety.

"When the great lord passes, the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts."
-Ethiopian Proverb

#312862 - 03/08/08 01:32 AM Re: Does this Qualify as a Religion in my case [Re: necrolazelaznog]
Darkahn Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Since this is in the "Website Comments and Questions", and not the Questions for the CoS forums..

The more Satanic thing to do would be to adapt -- and adapt well.

Besides, I think the only time they've ever made those "religious exceptions" with long hair were for Native American religions when it came to the US, and Asatru when it comes to Europe -- and that was for people in jail, not those running the jail. A friend of mine tried to make the same claim with the military (though using no legal means to back it up), and it didn't fly.

If it means that much to you -- get a wig.

Undercroft

#313442 - 03/10/08 04:48 AM Re: Does this Qualify as a Religion in my case [Re: Darkahn]
DexRex Offline

Loc: UK
You're lucky that long hair is 'still an option'

Forum Stats
12020 Members
73 Forums
43831 Topics
405235 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements