Topic Options
#313143 - 03/09/08 06:40 AM How Do Satanists Define Spirituality
Morganti Offline

Since I hear so many definitions I am wondering.

How do you define Spirituality?

#313210 - 03/09/08 11:52 AM Re: How Do Satanists Define Spirituality [Re: Morganti]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
For practical purposes "spirituality" may be defined as a hypothetical non-material facet of human life, belief in which is unwarranted but unfortunately epidemic.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#313420 - 03/10/08 02:20 AM Re: How Do Satanists Define Spirituality [Re: Svengali]
Morganti Offline

So basically as a Satanist you deny that there is anything by the physical and material reality we live in?

This confuses me because some Satanists also study the occult, and the two things contradict each other.

Or is it simply you have the view that we live in a material reality, and we shouldn't deny it and act like there is some nice life after death waiting for us.

#313424 - 03/10/08 03:13 AM Re: How Do Satanists Define Spirituality [Re: Morganti]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> So basically as a Satanist you deny that there is anything by the physical and material reality we live in? <<

Satanism is unique as a religion whereby its philosophies are grounded in this pragmatism.

>> This confuses me because some Satanists also study the occult, and the two things contradict each other.<<

There is no contradiction. Rather than place faith in mystic nonesense, yes, the Satanist studies. Perhaps you should reconsider your notions that occult faculties lie in the spiritual realm. The machinations of such things may well be closer to home.

>> Or is it simply you have the view that we live in a material reality, and we shouldn't deny it and act like there is some nice life after death waiting for us. <<

We do live in a material reality and I think it much more productive to accept what we are as the human animal and work with that rather than, as an example, the Christian notion that we require ascension to some God figure to save us from eternal damnation in an intangiable afterlife.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#313426 - 03/10/08 03:23 AM Re: How Do Satanists Define Spirituality [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Morganti Offline

Quote:
There is no contradiction. Rather than place faith in mystic nonesense, yes, the Satanist studies. Perhaps you should reconsider your notions that occult faculties lie in the spiritual realm. The machinations of such things may well be closer to home.

I don't have any notions, I just have an open mind. I don't know either way, so it will be up to me over time to experiment and find out for myself.

Quote:
We do live in a material reality

I wasn't denying this (not mentally ill), I shouldn't of used the word "view". I was just trying to say that some other people call their BELIEFS, their own view and act as if it is reality. Of course this isn't case! Of course I do realize I am talking to Satanists so I really don't have to do this. Being the people I talk to in everyday life are not Satanists, this becomes a habit.

I was wondering if Satanists viewed Spirituality as acknowledging more than the physical. I don't understand what the problem with this would be, if a Satanist found this to be true for him or herself. But of course I wouldn't expect any Satanist to believe this for no apparent reason, nor try and seek out information in order to try and have a belief that this is the case.

I feel there is a lot I don't know about the world I live in, and of course I seek to learn that. I think shutting out something as a possibility, even if I will never bother to investigate it is ignorant.

I would think people who follow the god Religions view spirituality as following their Religious teachings in order to in an after life go to heaven with god (or what ever bullshit they believe.) Rather than looking at the world the way it is, and focusing on here and now.

Edited by Morganti (03/10/08 03:26 AM)

#313428 - 03/10/08 03:44 AM Re: How Do Satanists Define Spirituality [Re: Morganti]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

>> I don't have any notions, I just have an open mind. <<

The fact that you stated you were confused because Satanism and the occult are a contradiction suggested that you inherantly consider occult phenomenon to be other worldly.

Still, I do hope I cleared up the issue for you.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#313431 - 03/10/08 03:59 AM Re: How Do Satanists Define Spirituality [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Morganti Offline

I have read in the Satanic Scriptures that the theory behind the workings of the occult, is that your thoughts have an influence on reality? That all our minds are some how linked.
Therefore the world we live in, isn't just as simple as what we can interact with, with our 5 senses. Because our thoughts are just meant to be in our brains.

Edited by Morganti (03/10/08 04:00 AM)

#313444 - 03/10/08 05:06 AM Re: How Do Satanists Define Spirituality [Re: Morganti]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

I am failing to comprehend the source of your confusion.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#313464 - 03/10/08 06:29 AM Re: How Do Satanists Define Spirituality [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Morganti Offline

What I am asking is: Do you think there is more to the world we live in than what we the average person interacts with?

Or do you deny that there is anything more than what we can touch, taste, hear and smell and see as a possibility.

#313470 - 03/10/08 07:12 AM Re: How Do Satanists Define Spirituality [Re: Morganti]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Most Satanists believe in magic as a tool.

But the machinations of that magic lie right here in the physical realm.

Although there are phenomenon that is perhaps not fully explainable it is quite logical to posit that whatever happens right here in the physical dimension is part of this dimension and not some other ethereal realm.

Satanism is not about spirituality or mysticism.

What you are questioning could perhaps be considered amongst the mysteries of life - not hoo haa land.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#313477 - 03/10/08 07:51 AM Re: How Do Satanists Define Spirituality [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Morganti Offline

Thanks for your feedback.

I would be happy to also hear what anyone else has to say on the subject.

EDIT: Below are my comments on definitions of spirituality according to Google (define:spirituality)

Quote:
Having to do with deep, often religious, feelings and beliefs, including a person’s sense of peace, purpose, connection to others and beliefs ...

Keyword: belief
Everyone I have ever talked to about Spirituality and their view on it, all I get is their belief because that is all it is.

Quote:
This is generally understood to refer to the path of awareness. Unfortunately, however, this term usually refers to a realm which is outside. For example, “spiritual” has been divided from “physical.” Yet in authentic awareness, there can be no such division

Quote:
there can be no such division

Agreed.
"Spiritual is an illusion everything is a part of nature."

I believe that is a quote from the Satanic Scriptures.

Quote:
A specific way of living some particular aspect of the Gospel.

Replace Gospel with bullshit, lies and propaganda.

Quote:
An inner sense of something greater than oneself. Recognition of a meaning to existence that transcends one's immediate circumstances.

Greater than one's self? Why should I view anything as a greater authority than myself.

Quote:
# spiritualty: property or income owned by a church
# concern with things of the spirit

"owned by the church" haha that would be typical.

If your wondering why I asked the question. I wanted to know exactly what was meant by

"The spiritual is an illusion, I am utterly carnal."

Of course I understood the "utterly carnal" part, I was just unsure how you would define spiritual or even how other people so, as they don't care to really explain their beliefs in detail generally. Google helped, if the answers given is what Satanists have in mind as spiritual. People that follow Religion usually don't try and define certain things too much, because then it can be "left open to interpretation", unlike Satanic literature.

Edited by Morganti (03/10/08 08:39 AM)

#313499 - 03/10/08 10:07 AM Re: How Do Satanists Define Spirituality [Re: Morganti]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Just because something is not understood does not make it "spiritual."

Just because someone (or many) refers to their subjective mental/emotional experiences as "spiritual" does not mean the subjective experience is the result of non-material forces.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#313639 - 03/10/08 07:38 PM Re: How Do Satanists Define Spirituality [Re: Svengali]
Morganti Offline

Quote:
Just because something is not understood does not make it "spiritual."

Those were my thoughts, I was wondering if other people shared them. I don't like how people divide unknown things as different, just because they or event he human species for the most part doesn't have an understanding of it.

I think people are unintentionally trained/conditioned to do so (or maybe partially intentionally?).

Edited by Morganti (03/10/08 07:38 PM)

#313652 - 03/10/08 08:53 PM Re: "How do you define Spirituality?" [Re: Morganti]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Generally with a dictionary.

Then we put the dictionary down, get up out the chair and create the results we want in the world we live in.

All too many people attempt to climb into the dictionary and live there.

That is not our way.

Forum Stats
12162 Members
73 Forums
43921 Topics
405743 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements