Topic Options
#314295 - 03/13/08 07:22 AM The symbol of Brimstone above The 9 Satanic Statements
Babydoll Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
Greetings!

This is a question relating to The Satanic Bible and Anton LaVey. Above the 9 Satanic Statements is a symbol for brimstone/sulfur.

Like this one.

I was just wondering if there is any record of why Anton LaVey chose to use it in TSB where he did? With so few symbols in TSB it seems even more significant that he chose it... When it does come up in symbol dictionaries the definition does not seem to go far beyond that it is an alchemical symbol for the element sulfur/brimstone.

I read somewhere that it was used in TSB in mockery of christianity (i.e. brimstone = xian hell) which would seem in line with LaVey's humor

Carl G. Liungman's website (and symbol dictionary) states - A sign from alchemy for sulphur, brimstone, black sulphur, or black mercuric sulphide. The [brimstone] sign is a synonym...(which I don't quite understand ). Also, it is one of many alchemical symbols for sulfur, not the only one (so why use that one?).

Did he perhaps just enjoy the aesthetics of that brimstone symbol? (it is very attractive).

The top half of the symbol looks exactly like the cross of lorraine... which when perched on the back of an ouroboros or Leviathan (the infinity at the bottom of the symbol) would also be quite humorous (and perhaps relate to the 9th Satanic Statement?).

Could I please receive some advice on this?

Thankyou in advance!

Edited by 2faced_babydoll (03/13/08 07:40 AM)
Edit Reason: addition

One LIFE - One chance

Who are We?

#314315 - 03/13/08 09:24 AM Re: The symbol of Brimstone above The 9 Satanic Statements [Re: Babydoll]
Magister_Lang Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: I-BLISS!
"Did he perhaps just enjoy the aesthetics of that brimstone symbol? (it is very attractive).

The top half of the symbol looks exactly like the cross of lorraine... which when perched on the back of an ouroboros or Leviathan (the infinity at the bottom of the symbol) would also be quite humorous (and perhaps relate to the 9th Satanic Statement?)."

Yes, it could mean this as well and he probably simply prefered the aesthetics of that symbol.

The reason for using it, 'fire & brimstone' is obvious.
HS!
“The world, like a wolf pack is not all the licking of pups and howls by the moonlight. Sometimes there just needs to be a gnashing of teeth and a ripping of flesh to put things back into the natural order of things.”

XLII A.S.

"Magic is a tool and is essentially useless unless it can serve you here and now! Anything else is simply an act in faith and an excuse for failure in the here and now." XLVI A.S. R. Lang

"Chaos is a creation of mankind and does not exist within the uncompromising fascism of natures laws! Everything has order." XLVI A.S R. Lang

"To believe in Chaos one must believe that their is some kind of God who all of a sudden put everything into order! That!, I cannot relate too..."
R. Lang XLVI A.S.

#314342 - 03/13/08 10:38 AM Re: The symbol of Brimstone above The 9 Satanic Statements [Re: Babydoll]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Dr. LaVey's use of the symbol pre-dates any special fuss over the Cross of Lorraine, which mostly stems from HOLY BLOOD, HOLY GRAIL, not published until 1982.

It is an impressive symbol with traditional underworld significance.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#314912 - 03/15/08 06:49 AM Re: The symbol of Brimstone above The 9 Satanic Statements [Re: Magister_Lang]
Babydoll Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
 Quote:
Yes, it could mean this as well

So much can be seen in symbols! Especially by breaking them down. Carl G. Liungman's symbol dictionary is very detailed, and goes into the meanings of even a single verticle line etc. Symbols are like their own language... more even! Love it

Quote:
The reason for using it, 'fire & brimstone' is obvious.

Yes And that's more than sufficient, I think! A symbol with the same name as the xian hell above the Satanic Statements is consistent with everything else in TSB!

I just wanted to check if there was any more to it, anything personal.

Thankyou so much Magister Lang and Magister Svengali!

One LIFE - One chance

Who are We?

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43974 Topics
406003 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements