Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#315347 - 03/17/08 02:17 PM Oprah reads the Satanic Bible?!
Majestic Devil Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I found this on CNN.com...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/personal/03/11/o.energy.vampires/index.html

Her take on "energy vampires" as she calls them seems a bit reminiscent, if not a tad watered down.

#315403 - 03/17/08 05:31 PM Re: Oprah reads the Satanic Bible?! [Re: Majestic Devil]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

This article was written in Oprah's magazine by Dr. Judith Orloff. Not Oprah herself.

Apparently this "Doctor" is basically taking the term which Dr. LaVey coined "psychic vampire" and replacing the word psychic with energy, along with adding symptoms and rules to make it appear that he came up with the term.

Since he is a "doctor" and he has an article in O, The Oprah's Magazine, that alone gives him "credential". \:>

#315405 - 03/17/08 05:34 PM Re: Oprah reads the Satanic Bible?! [Re: Callier]
C.F. Kane Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Bat City
This may be a case of, "It takes one to know one."
"This is my body which is broken for you, this do in remembrance of me." - I Cor. 11:24

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry." -Mark Twain

"Maybe I'll make some teeth and whiskers." -C.F. Kane

#315457 - 03/17/08 10:07 PM Re: Oprah reads the Satanic Bible?! [Re: Majestic Devil]
Mr Avarice Offline

Loc: Scandinavia
Lovely. No wonder Ellen is running circles around Oprah.

#315470 - 03/17/08 11:17 PM Re: Oprah reads the Satanic Bible?! [Re: Majestic Devil]
MagisterParadise Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Burlington, VT
 Originally Posted By: Majestic Devil

Her take on "energy vampires" as she calls them seems a bit reminiscent, if not a tad watered down.

This, coming from a woman who stole her magazine's title from a German fetish publication.

****** READ DIABOLOGUE OFTEN ******

Purging Talon | On Facebook | On SatanNet
Bearing The Devil's Mark @ Amazon | The Book of Satanic Quotations @ Amazon | Terror Transmission

--------------------
"The world isn't black and white. It's grayscale" - Steve Wozniak

#315486 - 03/18/08 12:35 AM Re: Oprah reads the Satanic Bible?! [Re: Majestic Devil]
JayLucif Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Helheim
Jesus Jumping on a pogo stick! Might as well stick your head in the sand with this line of thinking? I have come across some very obnoxious Psychic Vampires as termed by Doktor LaVey, and going this route as quoted below does not work, now walking away or showing indifference toward their empty mind games really pisses em off, though not this kind of clap trap non sense.

"You can also use some of your own subtle energy to counter the effects of an energy vampire. Visualize a protective white light around you: an energy shield. You can still hear the person who's yelling at you or blaming you or pushing herself into your sphere, but she won't cut into you so viscerally anymore. You've created a buffer zone, where her negative influences can dissipate."

Would not just a pop in the mouth, or the good ole American free bird finger work just as good?

Edited by JayLucif (03/18/08 08:41 PM)

Freedom, baby is never having to say you're sorry. Guilt is like a bag of fuckin' bricks. All ya gotta do is set it down. John Milton - The Devil's Advocate!

I'm gonna pull the whole thing down. I'm gonna bring the whole fuckin' diseased, corrupt temple down on your head. It's gonna be biblical. Clyde Shelton - Law Abiding Citizen!

------------------------------------------------------------

#315507 - 03/18/08 01:36 AM Re: Oprah reads the Satanic Bible?! [Re: JayLucif]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: JayLucif
"You can also use some of your own subtle energy to counter the effects of an energy vampire. Visualize a protective white light around you: an energy shield. You can still hear the person who's yelling at you or blaming you or pushing herself into your sphere, but she won't cut into you so viscerally anymore. You've created a buffer zone, where her negative influences can dissipate."

As I see it, this is just another invitation to the reader to "suffer fools gladly". To me it reads like "there you go, now you have this nice white light around you, now you don't have to face up to the fact that this person is an idiot".

This reminds me of the kind of people who will keep trying to make a meaningful relationship with alcoholic or abusive parents or spouses to try to prove something to themselves.

But getting back to the original question "Oprah reads the Satanic Bible?!". No, I don't think she does. I think that some of the shrinks and therapists she surrounds herself with may have, but more likely their research have led them down a path that may have led them to the conclusions that Dr. LaVey drew, if they were prepared to apply a more harsh world view to the problem at hand.

Some eight or nine years ago she started having these people like John Grey, Dr. Phil and Gary Zukav on the show and I would always wonder because their ideas of self-improvement sounded ok'ish to me, because there were some things in my life that I wanted to change. However the person that would result in following their line of reasoning never seemed to be me. It took a lot of time for me to finally turn it all on its head - keeping my own centre and then applying whatever would still work from their ideas.

So hopefully the people reading this article will at some point realize that the white light bubble won't help them, but that the original problem still is there and that the term "vampire" is not wrong, it's just that the solution should be sought elsewhere.

Then again - by then most of them have probably moved on to the next "new" therapy that O Magazine throws at them.

#315517 - 03/18/08 02:53 AM Re: Oprah reads the Satanic Bible?! [Re: MagisterParadise]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
I wonder if her autobiography will be called "The Story of O"?

#315519 - 03/18/08 03:43 AM Re: Oprah reads the Satanic Bible?! [Re: verszou]
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

Originally Posted By: verszou

As I see it, this is just another invitation to the reader to "suffer fools gladly". To me it reads like "there you go, now you have this nice white light around you, now you don't have to face up to the fact that this person is an idiot".

What if I want my light to be dark red? Wait, can I add tentacles to it? Ooooh! Ooooh! Nice big black tentacles with spines and razor sharp claws that lash out at the idiot! You get a shield and a weapon!

Yeah, look at my genius, I should be on Oprah now. ;\)

Edited by FalloutGod (03/18/08 03:44 AM)

#315542 - 03/18/08 07:04 AM Re: Oprah reads the Satanic Bible?! [Re: JayLucif]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
 Quote:
Visualize a protective white light around you: an energy shield. You can still hear the person who's yelling at you or blaming you or pushing herself into your sphere, but she won't cut into you so viscerally anymore. You've created a buffer zone, where her negative influences can dissipate."

Maybe it's worth trying. My oh-so-lovely manager falls into the psychic vampire category, along with about a dozen other unpleasantries. With the set up of our shop, I spend 8 hours a day within 3 feet of him, so getting away from him is not much of an option. I agree I would rather pop him in the mouth, the company would probably not appreciate that. So, I'll try this protective bubble today. I'm a very visual person, maybe the imagery will be enough to help me stay calm and not take his remarks personally.

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#315547 - 03/18/08 08:54 AM Re: Oprah reads the Satanic Bible?! [Re: Majestic Devil]
Storm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: West Valley, UT, USA
Oprah's problem is not giving credit where it is due. If she did so, one might even take a step back and wonder if she is honestly Satanic. In many areas of her career and empire she "borrows" (or more appropriately, rips off) past orthodoxies and repackages them for her throng of fans to eat right up. This is but one example that we have taken the time to notice ast he subject resonates with us. However, it's far from the first time.

HS!
~Storm

"When Hell is Full of Souls, The Tattooed Will Walk the Earth."
~Bob Tyrrell, The Night Gallery Tattoo

Facebook: facebook.com/artonyoustudios

#315564 - 03/18/08 09:43 AM Re: Oprah reads the Satanic Bible?! [Re: MagisterParadise]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
 Originally Posted By: MagisterParadise

This, coming from a woman who stole her magazine's title from a German fetish publication.

Well I would definately read Oprah's magazine if it had latex fetish bondage in it. Hell, seeing Oprah in a leather catsuit would even get me to watch her show!

She should look into doing more segments on the virtues of nude vac-bed sensory deprivation instead of shmendricks imagining themselves in pale white bubbles. With a slight modification they could imagine themselves inside a bland white square that remarkably resembles the cubicle they most likely work in...

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

#315587 - 03/18/08 10:30 AM Re: Oprah reads the Satanic Bible?! [Re: Majestic Devil]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
You will have to forgive me if I fail to see the connection you seem to be proposing.
One is a quote from a magazine geared toward those who have nothing better to do with their afternoons than seek out televised self-help gurus. I am sure that even imagining a protective white light is an improvement for them.
The reference to psychic vampires comes from a completely different source, written for those who have better things to do.

Please, do not take that to be a disparaging remark aimed at you…it is not.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#315589 - 03/18/08 10:34 AM Re: Oprah reads the Satanic Bible?! [Re: AurEum]
C.F. Kane Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Bat City
 Quote:
Visualize a protective white light around you: an energy shield. You can still hear the person who's yelling at you or blaming you or pushing herself into your sphere, but she won't cut into you so viscerally anymore. You've created a buffer zone, where her negative influences can dissipate."

And, you get to keep your all important good guy badge!
"This is my body which is broken for you, this do in remembrance of me." - I Cor. 11:24

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry." -Mark Twain

"Maybe I'll make some teeth and whiskers." -C.F. Kane

#315606 - 03/18/08 11:05 AM Re: Oprah reads the Satanic Bible?! [Re: Majestic Devil]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
 Quote:
"You can also use some of your own subtle energy to counter the effects of an energy vampire. Visualize a protective white light around you: an energy shield.

That's just silly! Everybody knows the best protection against an energy vampire is a tin foil hat filled with garlic!

#315620 - 03/18/08 11:43 AM Re: Oprah reads the Satanic Bible?! [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Majestic Devil Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
 Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
You will have to forgive me if I fail to see the connection you seem to be proposing.
One is a quote from a magazine geared toward those who have nothing better to do with their afternoons than seek out televised self-help gurus. I am sure that even imagining a protective white light is an improvement for them.
The reference to psychic vampires comes from a completely different source, written for those who have better things to do.

Please, do not take that to be a disparaging remark aimed at you…it is not.

If anyone was wondering, I don't really think Oprah reads from TSB. As mentioned earlier, this article wasn't even written by her, but a Doctor who probably wishes his name was Phil McGraw.

In addition, I realize that if you chose to consider the ideas in this article similar to LaVey's ideas on psychic vampires it would be a given, considering the source, that they would most certainly be morally sanitized for mass consumption.

I merely posted this for a chuckle. ;\)

#315636 - 03/18/08 12:29 PM Re: Oprah reads the Satanic Bible?! [Re: Majestic Devil]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis

I merely posted this for a chuckle. ;\)

Gotcha!

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406073 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements