Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#316432 - 03/21/08 12:15 AM Re: Women, Alcohol, Drugs, and Responsibility [Re: Zardex]
C.F. Kane Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Bat City
 Quote:
I wouldn't say "Special Interest Badge" nor would I attribute it as attempting conversion, maybe more like a displeasure badge to come out of the closet with the displeasure towards the role of religion in the government in a similar way then the gay movement did in order to serve their rights that are provided by the democratic government system.

I don't understand what you mean by this, but I think you may be taking my jokes a bit too literally. I do not for a second think that the gay rights movement was meant to convert anyone, hence the quotation marks. Sorry for the confusion.

It seems as though you are supporting greater awareness for the oppressed, am I mistaken? Please clarify.

While I tend to agree with many things "devout" atheists say I can not be a party to the Humanist cause. Dawkins' views on altruism and egalitariansim combined with his rejection of dogma just don't sit well with me.

Sure, its better, for me, than religious fanaticism, but it is not a cause I am going to rally behind, nor do I need a movement to help me find the courage to "come out" against theocracy. I was born with the courage.
"This is my body which is broken for you, this do in remembrance of me." - I Cor. 11:24

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry." -Mark Twain

"Maybe I'll make some teeth and whiskers." -C.F. Kane

#316440 - 03/21/08 01:23 AM Re: Women, Alcohol, Drugs, and Responsibility [Re: C.F. Kane]
Zardex Offline

Originally Posted By: Exsanguinate!!!
I think you may be taking my jokes a bit too literally. I do not for a second think that the gay rights movement was meant to convert anyone, hence the quotation marks. Sorry for the confusion.

It seems as though you are supporting greater awareness for the oppressed, am I mistaken? Please clarify.

I am humbled by inspired by your response to improve myself. I do take things too literally at times.

Egalitarianism is something I do not agree to either, rather I believe there is no individual who is equal to another in anything. There are always people smarter, better and stronger then you in some areas and weaker in others.

In sense I do support Dawkins' out movement for the cause of greater awareness to the oppressed but it is not for myself I need encouragement to come out of the closet rather I believe that the end result of better democracy served by the cause that may encourage some atheists to come out is a cause that serves my interests.

However it was probably a mistake to take on this subject on this thread as it is quite off topic although the actual topic kind of went towards state of warfare.

#316447 - 03/21/08 04:07 AM Re: Women, Alcohol, Drugs, and Responsibility [Re: ModernTantalus]
x9x Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Flanders - Europe
 Originally Posted By: ModernTantalus
Besides, didn't I ask you to stop responding to me?

So you start a topic (I didn't mention bullshit topic) here and you wanna filter on who can respond and who can't, this doesn't make sense.
If you can't stand the heat...don't enter the hellmouth.

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
|| Benjamin Franklin ||

The lack of money is the root of all evil.
|| George Bernard ||

#316452 - 03/21/08 05:08 AM Re: Women, Alcohol, Drugs, and Responsibility [Re: TrojZyr]
SueW Offline
CoS Member

Loc: TN,United States
Great answer.

http://singlesmartandsurviving.blogspot.com/

http://darkrae.blogspot.com/

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley

A charming woman doesn't follow the crowd. She is herself. - Loretta Young, American Actress

It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else. - ERMA BOMBECK

#316495 - 03/21/08 10:26 AM Re: Women, Alcohol, Drugs, and Responsibility [Re: x9x]
C.F. Kane Offline

CoS Member

Quote:
So you start a topic (I didn't mention bullshit topic) here and you wanna filter on who can respond and who can't, this doesn't make sense.
If you can't stand the heat...don't enter the hellmouth.

It was amusing to toy with in the beginning, but the circle of futility will only drag you down with its contradictions, poor grammar, and double talk.

Get out while you still can; there is no victory to be had in debating the ill-equipped.
"This is my body which is broken for you, this do in remembrance of me." - I Cor. 11:24

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry." -Mark Twain

#316497 - 03/21/08 10:34 AM Re: Women, Alcohol, Drugs, and Responsibility [Re: Zardex]
C.F. Kane Offline

CoS Member

Quote:
In sense I do support Dawkins' out movement for the cause of greater awareness to the oppressed but it is not for myself I need encouragement to come out of the closet rather I believe that the end result of better democracy served by the cause that may encourage some atheists to come out is a cause that serves my interests.

Now, here's a brand of Pragmatism I could support wholeheartedly, albeit from a distance. To quote The Good Doktor, "Charity begins at home," and I can see no reason why it shouldn't end up there, as well.

Does it not bother you, however, that Dawkins and his cronies are essentially against The Church of Satan?

#316513 - 03/21/08 11:21 AM Re: Women, Alcohol, Drugs, and Responsibility [Re: C.F. Kane]
x9x Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Flanders - Europe
Is this a reply to me?

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
|| Benjamin Franklin ||

The lack of money is the root of all evil.
|| George Bernard ||

#316521 - 03/21/08 11:40 AM Re: Women, Alcohol, Drugs, and Responsibility [Re: x9x]
C.F. Kane Offline

CoS Member

The response was to your post, and the advice was for you, but certainly not the "circle of futility," part. That was for Tantalus.

Sorry for the confusion, er... friendly fire, I suppose?

Edited by Exsanguinate!!! (03/21/08 11:41 AM)

#316531 - 03/21/08 12:14 PM Re: Women, Alcohol, Drugs, and Responsibility [Re: x9x]
ModernTantalus Offline

Actually, I said that half jokingly. My volleys with Exsanguinate up to this point has taught me that he/she will offer their opinion regardless. What I was refering to when I said that was that the posts between Exsanguinate and I thus far have been a bit off topic.

#316549 - 03/21/08 01:22 PM Re: Women, Alcohol, Drugs, and Responsibility [Re: C.F. Kane]
Zardex Offline

Does it not bother you, however, that Dawkins and his cronies are essentially against The Church of Satan?

Church of Satan is a fairly new discovery to me so I haven't picked up anything like that, but I'd be interested to know what you mean as to how they are against it.

#316562 - 03/21/08 02:04 PM Re: Women, Alcohol, Drugs, and Responsibility [Re: Zardex]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

Loc: PA
 Originally Posted By: Zardex

Church of Satan is a fairly new discovery to me so I haven't picked up anything like that, but I'd be interested to know what you mean as to how they are against it.

Most likely it is because they don't see the value in ritual. Have you ever heard that all Satanists are Atheists, but not all Atheists are Satanists? ;\)

Or maybe it is because we have a darker sense of humor and throw the best parties.

#316568 - 03/21/08 02:24 PM Re: Women, Alcohol, Drugs, and Responsibility [Re: RaSc]
Zardex Offline

Originally Posted By: RaSc
Most likely it is because they don't see the value in ritual.

I doubt that could be the reason as who cares what they think about ritual. Ritual as I understand is about psychodrama, which I assume is consciously controlled self suggestion of sort and surely no scientist denies the power and meaning of that.

Furthermore I don't think there is anything of value in ritual itself besides amusement unless it is serving reality as well.
I personally don't care about ritual at all, but I see the meaning and value in productive means for self suggestion and as such a ritual might have great value to me provided it works for me.

My own experience with self suggestion this far is more on certain types of meditation techniques that I, among other things, find useful for means of distancing myself from emotion to ensure better judgment under different conditions.

#316572 - 03/21/08 02:45 PM Re: Women, Alcohol, Drugs, and Responsibility [Re: Zardex]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

Loc: PA
Whatever suits you best.

I personally get a lot out of ritual. It's enjoyable and damn effective.

It's not a prerequisite, however, and all are free to partake or not.

#316593 - 03/21/08 04:45 PM Re: Women, Alcohol, Drugs, and Responsibility [Re: ModernTantalus]
C.F. Kane Offline

CoS Member

Not for nothing, you started this thread on a public forum. You have in essence, and by not being specific, invited us all to give our opinions.

I'm surprised that you haven't enjoyed my volleys to this point, as it has been rather tricky trying to handle your serve.

To direct our, as you call it, banter back to the topic:

I think we have found the general consensus to your query in that most think it a tad presumptious, albeit based somewhat in actual reality. Still, not really worth giving this much thought and time. Stupidity abounds! My advice, not that you've asked, is to do your best and not "get nuthin' on ya!"

I do, however, want to give thanks for the ride. I have had the opportunity to engage in some other enriching conversations as a result of this thread.

HS!

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Forum Stats
12254 Members
73 Forums
44034 Topics
406357 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements