Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#315452 - 03/17/08 09:56 PM Fun with runes
Risen08 Offline
CoS Member

#315867 - 03/19/08 05:10 AM Re: Fun with runes [Re: Risen08]
Starless Pixie Offline

Loc: Missouri
Why respell the words phonetically? Don't they have more personal meaning if you see them correctly? Also, wouldn't a phonetic spelling of "book" be " buk" not "bok"? I must say I was a bit disappointed the website didn't combine all the runes into one giant rune.

#315934 - 03/19/08 11:47 AM Re: Fun with runes [Re: Starless Pixie]
Nicolette Offline

Loc: Deutschland
I can't remember the name of it, but there is a giant Elder Futhark bind rune out there. One form of the Odin legend has it that when he hung himself, thereby receiving knowledge of the runes, that seven sticks fell to the floor and in the pattern can be found all 24 runes. I am too lazy to search up the image online but if you look for it hard enough you'll find it.

#315943 - 03/19/08 12:30 PM Re: Fun with runes [Re: Risen08]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Or you could download a unicode runic font instead of all the graphics.

Nevertheless, whatever bumbling thing attempted to be input into this isn't going to resemble actual runic writing, any more than those old "write your name in hieroglyphs" things do.

Oh yeah, and to the guy/gal who is disappointed it doesn't come out as "one giant rune:"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elder_futhark

Point out where the hell it says runes are "combined into one giant rune."

Ah, the butchery of culture continues.

#315945 - 03/19/08 12:38 PM Re: Fun with runes [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Nicolette Offline

I didn't mean to infer that story was in any way historically accurate. It's one I have heard from Heathen friends, and I do know that there's no basis for it in any of the Eddas or 'lore' at all.

#315965 - 03/19/08 02:34 PM a little explanation.... [Re: Nicolette]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

The Nordic runes (not Germanic ones) start with this :

You can see it as the earth/mother. it is where all Nordic runes are born.

Later will come the phallus penetrating the hexagon (draw a line from a point to another one) = the birth of the first families of runes : UR ( Uruz) , LAF ( Laguz ) and Tyr.

Actually, this is a little bit the same principle as the Kaballa ( Yod-He-Vav-He ).

By drawing runes like explained above, and by following the story, other runes will "born" into this hexagon. This is why I love this symbol : by drawing, you remember the chronology of the story.

And finally, we'll have the gathering of all runes in one :

Voilà ;\)

#315967 - 03/19/08 02:36 PM Re: a little explanation.... [Re: Assabrah]
Nicolette Offline

That was awesome. Thank you for sharing that.

Edited by NubsMcGee (03/19/08 02:39 PM)

#315969 - 03/19/08 02:41 PM Re: a little explanation.... [Re: Assabrah]
shadowraven213 Offline

I like how the all rune looks like a three dimensional cube, is this of significance?

I may look into this it seems interesting but I thought you may already know the answer.

#315970 - 03/19/08 02:45 PM Re: Fun with runes [Re: Starless Pixie]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
Look at a rune alphabet and you'll know why everything is spelled phonetically.

Other language systems are commonly different from English, which will have different methods of communicating what they mean in said language. Like for example with Spanish where the adjective goes after the noun (Ex: Casablanca = White House) which is opposite to English.

But every language has a system, to properly communicate what you have to say, you have to learn and use that system or else it's lost.

#315999 - 03/19/08 04:01 PM Re: a little explanation.... [Re: Assabrah]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

The runes are demonstrably derived from the Latin alphabet and modified to be easily chiseled, since Norsemen tended to do a lot of their writing on stone.

However, a quick survey shows that quite a few Elder Futhark letters don't fit into the hexagon, and the Younger Futhark (aka Scandinavian Futhark, a simplified dirivative of Elder Futhark) actually uses curved lines, which definitely do not (amusing side note, I've always thought some of the Younger Futhark strongly resembles Hebrew letters).

I'm not sure what you mean by Germanic vs Nordic runes. I suppose you could mean Elder vs Younger Futhark, but the majority of "Germanic" Elder Futhark inscriptions are found in Scandinavia (in fact only about 100 inscriptions of any kind are found in continental Europe, vs nearly 6,000 in Scandinavia), and the historical range of Germanic tribes is in Scandinavia - and worse, the Younger Futhark fits the hexagonal model much less closely than the Elder, which is at least composed of straight lines, most of them around a few common axes - but still, a good handful of letters don't conform at all.

#316002 - 03/19/08 04:22 PM Re: a little explanation.... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

There is no Germanic Vs Nordic runes.

Quote:
I suppose you could mean Elder vs Younger Futhark

Yes.

The Germanic were the first ones, III century(24 Runes), and some centuries later came the Nordic ones ( with less runes, and this hexagon I have showed contains all these 16 runes ).

Edited by Assabrah (03/19/08 04:44 PM)

#316017 - 03/19/08 05:13 PM Re: Fun with runes [Re: Starless Pixie]
JayLucif Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Helheim
This is just a basic overview resource for those not familiar with Runes. Rune Information

Also Runes combined into one symbol is called Bindrunes and are used as talismans. A source for Bindrunes.

Freedom, baby is never having to say you're sorry. Guilt is like a bag of fuckin' bricks. All ya gotta do is set it down. John Milton - The Devil's Advocate!

I'm gonna pull the whole thing down. I'm gonna bring the whole fuckin' diseased, corrupt temple down on your head. It's gonna be biblical. Clyde Shelton - Law Abiding Citizen!

------------------------------------------------------------

#316024 - 03/19/08 05:42 PM Re: Fun with runes [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Starless Pixie Offline

The first book I read about runes taught me how to write my "Wiccan name" in runes. After writing it out, the book said to combine all the runes into one. Perhaps that's just a Wiccan thing?

#316026 - 03/19/08 05:45 PM Re: Fun with runes [Re: Starless Pixie]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
Did the book come with a pint of Häagen-Dazs and Macramé kit?

#316027 - 03/19/08 05:48 PM Re: Fun with runes [Re: Philotechnic]
Starless Pixie Offline

Nah, they were too cheap for that. Just included vanilla Blue Bunny and origami instructions for paper cranes.

#316029 - 03/19/08 05:59 PM Re: a little explanation.... [Re: Assabrah]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I can see quite a few that don't fit that pattern.

#316030 - 03/19/08 06:00 PM Re: Fun with runes [Re: Starless Pixie]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Yeah, I'd say so.

Or maybe I'm just a grump. I have a personal fetish for typography and writing and seeing it all distorted irritates me.

#316031 - 03/19/08 06:02 PM Re: a little explanation.... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

Oh yes...

Those are Anglo-Saxon ones. Another age. EDIT : the first line that I see, I do not know the other ones.

The 16 "nordic runes" (those which fit in the graphic made by this civilization)which came during the VIII century, were the same ones as the "Germanic runes".it's just that they kept less ones.

Edited by Assabrah (03/19/08 06:51 PM)

#316075 - 03/19/08 08:58 PM Re: a little explanation.... [Re: Assabrah]
Risen08 Offline
CoS Member

Gee whiz, I said FUN with runes.

#316081 - 03/19/08 09:10 PM Re: a little explanation.... [Re: Risen08]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:
Gee whiz, I said FUN with runes.

Relax relax \:D

This was probably more fun to study than trying to type "Winnie the pooh", "Fo shizzle" and "LOL" with that cheap program, don't you think ?!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12164 Members
73 Forums
43923 Topics
405752 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements