Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#320194 - 04/11/08 11:54 AM Law of Attraction
Lord Xolothi Offline

Loc: Italia
Someone know "The Law of Attraction"?
Many books have written about it,since the times of Napoleon Hill and more recently the bestseller "The Secret".
What are your opinion about this misterious "Law of Attraction"?It is an natural phenomenon of quantistic physics or another New Age mumbo jumboo?

Memento Audere Semper

#320197 - 04/11/08 12:04 PM Re: Law of Attraction [Re: Lord Xolothi]
foreverlearning Offline

I have had discussions about this with my instuctor while training in martial arts. I believe it is just part of having the correct mentality when doing something. If you truely believe that you are going to fail at something, or that you will never get it, then you are less likely to try to go out and get it yourself. Because you are less likely to go get it yourself, you are less likely to get it. So because you don't think you will get it, you will not. It works the other way with believing you can achieve something, you are more likely to go out and try your best to get it, increasing your odds of actually getting it.
I think that the law just skips a step.
Step 1. want something with all your might.
step 2. have it.
I think it should be
step 1. want something with all your might.
step 2. go try your hardest to get it.
step 3. have it.
just my thoughts.

Edited by foreverlearning (04/11/08 12:04 PM)

#320202 - 04/11/08 12:43 PM Re: Law of Attraction [Re: Lord Xolothi]
C.F. Kane Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Bat City
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

- Miller, Repo Man (1984)

It could very well be useful, and perhaps evidence of manipulating your life in accordance with your will. We already have a term and action plan for that...

As it stands, or at least as is my understanding, it is a very theosophical idea. One, in which if I am my own god I have no issue with. But, again we already have a term and action plan for that...

I have found what works for me, and quite often get all the "shrimp" I need.
"This is my body which is broken for you, this do in remembrance of me." - I Cor. 11:24

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry." -Mark Twain

"Maybe I'll make some teeth and whiskers." -C.F. Kane

#320209 - 04/11/08 01:29 PM Re: Law of Attraction [Re: Lord Xolothi]
evalUate Offline

Loc: Michigan
In one word: FOCUS
Every nuance of human features, gestures and personality recognized from someone of your past associated with positive interaction, will subtly mingle to influence your attraction in another. When you meet someone who’s attributes pings any of those previous conscience or unconscious memories, there is some form of emotional charge initiated in that recognition. When you are able to focus some or several of those emotional charges into a force, there is true attraction… a force so powerful, we Satanists use it as a religious tool. For us, this focused force in not restricted to being used just for sexual outlet, but also harnessed into many creative endeavors.

Today, I honor the Man, Anton Szandor LaVey, on the anniversary of his birth. He brought that focus from my unconscious to the surface, and gave me a vehicle to use it to my fullest advantage. I thank him and praise him and miss his presence in my life!

HAIL DR. LAVEY!
HAIL SATAN!
-Nadine

Edited by evalUate (04/11/08 01:36 PM)

#320305 - 04/12/08 04:22 AM Re: Law of Attraction [Re: Lord Xolothi]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
I think this Law of Attraction thing has something to it.

I seem to be involuntarily attracted to rational things. laugh

#320319 - 04/12/08 07:27 AM Re: Law of Attraction [Re: Lord Xolothi]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
I think the Law of Attraction is a brilliant popular euphemism for "Magic"- who some people still think is heresy.
And I believe the principles of magic are simply applied self-transforming psychology.
"The Secret" is that same applied psychology, just covered in a sugar-coating of hippy bullshit.
Lavey was on to the basic laws of magic long ago, but only recently the media found an ingenious way to make it a huge pop hit (I'll give it credit for that).
And it did it simply by ignoring the Balance Factor (thus feeding the herd with the most craved-for delusion of adequacy).
So it's not that the Law of Attraction isn't valid, it's that the context it's in that is crucially lacking.

#320350 - 04/12/08 12:35 PM Re: Law of Attraction [Re: The_Lightning]
Zardex Offline

It is most definitely new age mambo jumbo if presented in a way as if the universe would have some form of consciousness. If you have watched clips from the movie then be aware that it has partially the same makers who made the pseudo documentary called "what the bleep do we know".

They are well known to interview scientists and edit the comments out of their original content.

Knowing the theories many of these scientists are known to have talked about it is not about effecting the universe but effecting your own psyche by effecting how you observe your surroundings and what catches your attention.

As in the example about the plate of shrimp it is not a coincidence at all.
Were you to think about a plate of shrimp right before someone seas "plate of shrimp" you would very certainly take note of this occurrence where as if you had not and they would have said "plate of shrimp" you would not have payed attention to it.

This is kind of like the Murphy's Law turned around.

Once again quantum physics has nothing at all to do with it. It is irrational to allow the unknowns of quantum physics to inspire to draw conclusions about some presumed paranormal that would take place outside the quantum scale.

Edited by Zardex (04/13/08 12:59 AM)
Edit Reason: I am not sure how this ended up as a reply to The_Lightning, I agree to what she sead about self-transforming psychology and I meant to reply to the thread in general.

#320416 - 04/12/08 10:40 PM Re: Law of Attraction [Re: Zardex]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

I'll be short :

people are boring.

Replacing a word by another one and think it is called "evolution".

While the " online elite" is masturbating his mind, some have results.

Those debating with words are those in front of closed doors.

#320419 - 04/12/08 11:07 PM Re: Law of Attraction [Re: Assabrah]
Zardex Offline

Unexplained results are no proof of paranormal. Belief is the worst enemy of knowledge.
I think I've heard from somewhere a saying "test everything but believe nothing".
You don't have to have faith in paranormal to witness and work with the "paranormal".

#320421 - 04/12/08 11:19 PM Re: Law of Attraction [Re: Zardex]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:
Unexplained results are no proof of paranormal. Belief is the worst enemy of knowledge.

Wait a minute, what are you talking about here ?

This is a Satanic forum. This is more than obvious to lucid people here that the belief is the fruit of experience.

But hey, thanks for the lesson there ! .....

#320424 - 04/12/08 11:34 PM The Law of Attraction - Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies. [Re: Lord Xolothi]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Ladies and gentlemen, "The Law of Attraction" by that same name was first mentioned by William Walter Atkinson in his 1906 best-selling book Thought Vibrations or the Law of Attraction in the Thought World.

After that it has been also treated by name by many people to include Ernest Holmes in his 1926 book Basic Ideas of Science of Mind and in 1949, by Dr. Raymond Holliwell in his book Working with the Law.

Then starting in the early 1990's, Jerry and Esther Hicks began publishing "channeled" information about the Law of Attraction, and wrote several popular books on the subject (one entitled The Law of Attraction in 2006).

In the summer of 2007, The Secret was on the New York Times bestseller list as a book, a CD and a DVD movie. The author was Rhonda Byrne who learned about The Law of Attraction in a book The Science of Getting Rich written by Wallace D. Wattles in 1910.

However, while not described by that name, the Law of Attraction was actually one of the seven Hermetic Laws which have been around in documented form since about 800 AD in the Kitab Sirr al-Asrar also known as The Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus.

Over 300 years ago Sir Isaac Newton (yes, THE Isaac Newton) expressed it this way in his translation of the Emerald Tablet:

“That which is below is like that which is above and that which is above is like that which is below to do the miracles of one only thing.”

In my own words, the Law of Attraction simply states that what you mentally expect to happen will tend to physically take place.

It doesn't matter whether you think it is accurate or nonsense. It is however knee-deep in magic and depends upon the idea that thoughts can directly influence things.

So if you wish to reinterpret it as merely "positive thinking" that might motivate you to do something different in a normal manner then please remember that that's just fine but it isn't what these old time alchemists and magicians or modern New Age gurus are talking about.

The Law of Attraction is based on magical thinking.

It usually fails most people because they truly do not understand the real secret behind "The Secret".

The secret I am referring to is not the suggestion that it is all "mumbo jumbo". That view will only produce self-fulfilling prophesy with regard to results - you won't get any.

The secret I am referring to is also not the simplistic assumption that believing (or trying to believe) that your thoughts will magnetically attract what you want will make that happen.

The secret I am referring to requires two things.

First, you have to not forget about past orthodoxies, such as just exactly where the Law of Attraction came from, who said what about it when, and how it ended up in the current presentation we see just about everywhere now.

Second, you have to understand that perhaps what you think you are doing when you claim to really desire something is not what you are actually doing at all.

But meaningful discussions of applied magic are reserved for the members-only forums on this messageboard.

So I will respect that and simply stop here.

#320429 - 04/13/08 12:03 AM Re: The Law of Attraction - Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies. [Re: Nemo]
Zardex Offline

Originally Posted By: Nemo
The secret I am referring to is not the suggestion that it is all "mumbo jumbo". That view will only produce self-fulfilling prophesy with regard to results - you won't get any.

I am merely stating the obvious that belief in paranormal just because you can't explain it is mambo jumbo, not that the mechanism itself is.

You do not have to limit yourself with beliefs about why certain things occur in certain ways in order to manipulate them and take benefit from them.

You do not need a belief in why something works in order to know from experience that somehow it does, and it's better to remain open to evidence, because that way you get a better view of exactly how it works.

#320451 - 04/13/08 06:07 AM Re: The Law of Attraction - Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies. [Re: Nemo]
Risen08 Offline
CoS Member

"Nemo steps to the plate. Here's the pitch...swing and he drives it towards center field...it's going, going, GONE!!!"

Another homerun Magister. Hail!

#320552 - 04/13/08 04:44 PM Re: The Law of Attraction - Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies. [Re: Risen08]
Mr Avarice Offline

Loc: Scandinavia
I found that one hard to visualize. grin

#320606 - 04/14/08 01:12 AM Re: Law of Attraction [Re: Philotechnic]
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: Wolf Landon
I think this Law of Attraction thing has something to it.

I seem to be involuntarily attracted to rational things. laugh

As evidenced by your presence here. And the fact that you are a Satanist. Correct?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12155 Members
73 Forums
43918 Topics
405733 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements