Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#320923 - 04/15/08 11:15 AM Re: Law of Attraction [Re: Zardex]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

You're pretty much on track by saying that in the quest to find some justification for believing that paranormal things can happen, or some reason to believe that one really IS special, people like to contort science to fit the mold that spirituality used to fill. It's an ill fit but it doesn't stop some from trying - very hard, in fact.

Replace the old mumbo jumbo spellbooks with modern mumbo jumbo references to obscure pseudo-science. Replace magic words with science terms that laymen probably don't really understand. Replace the ether with quantum physics. Replace belief in god and heaven with belief in personal greatness and immortality. It's the exact same formula in a new set of clothes - a lab coat instead of a wizard's robe, unfortunately.

I never do get it myself. Launching a fucking rocket to the moon wasn't cool enough? Cloning sheep doesn't impress you? We're already doing some pretty magical stuff without the need to invent anything or look under every rock for something of dubious value, much less contort ideas like quantum physics into something it's not.

#320944 - 04/15/08 01:07 PM Re: Law of Attraction [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Quote:
I never do get it myself. Launching a fucking rocket to the moon wasn't cool enough? Cloning sheep doesn't impress you? We're already doing some pretty magical stuff without the need to invent anything or look under every rock for something of dubious value, much less contort ideas like quantum physics into something it's not.

Because individuals aren't doing cool things, but people with a significant skill, applied in ways that create some pretty damn neat things.

But, deep down, the layman knows he isn't special, not even remotely. I like to think of it in terms of effective methods to propagate the species. If the majority of the population fully accepted their meaninglessness - that cold, harsh reality - they'd rape and rampage, then shoot themselves. A cannibalistic system failure. Fantasies and rationalizations to keep people feeling special function to keep the system working. That's how I see it most days anyway.

On a side note, I don't think Satanists are different from the rest in that way, I just think we more intuitively create our own meaning, whether we'd ever heard of TSB or not. That, coupled with an innate sense of pride in our ethics, would prevent our personal systems from failing.

#322984 - 04/22/08 07:16 PM Re: Law of Attraction [Re: Zaftig]
Zardex Offline

I now understand Magister Nemo's point better as well, and I agree it is more then "just" positive thinking.

By the way. Thank you for your patience of my ignorance. Most here have read Satanic literature where I am just now beginning, and beginning to understand why science and philosophy is no substitute for it.

Still nothing supernatural of cause and nothing that would not have a scientific mechanism even while that mechanism may not be completely known.
And also not something I would be satisfied with an invented sorry excuse of a "scientific" explanation. I agree to Priest LeviathanXIII's interpretation of my meaning in that.
The strength of the scientific method is in it's tolerance of the unknown. Bad scientists are always the ones who are too eager to know answers instead of being comfortable with the mysteries.

#362815 - 11/28/08 06:17 PM Re: The Law of Attraction - Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies. [Re: Nemo]
Warlock Atreus Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Dallas TX
Originally Posted By: Nemo

In my own words, the Law of Attraction simply states that what you mentally expect to happen will tend to physically take place.

That one line from Magister Nemo pretty much covers everything there is to know about the Law of Attraction.

If I focus on something I desire (not just that I want it, but that I already have it), more of it will head my way. It could be through my choices, or actions, or out of the blue. If I am moving toward something or something is moving toward me is arbitrary (and actually just a relative perspective). It is about putting yourself in a mindset of having it and finding the place inside of yourself where you feel you already have it.

It is not a great leap of logic to see that this would have ritual implications. If performing a ritual puts you in a mindset of having what you desire, then it will be effective in helping you achieve your goals. I don't suggest repeating what did not work for you thinking that repetition will make it work.

Faith healers have long utilized the subject's faith and belief in the actions of the healer to do so. An extension of this is the person who picks up the car that has fallen on their child. It doesn't occur to them that they can't do it. The martial artist who puts themselves in the mindset that allows them to pass their hand through a surface harder than their hand does this.

For some, vestments and sacred texts and strict application of proscribed actions puts them in that place. For others, meditation does it. For others, visualization does it. There are many techniques for doing this. Find what works for you. According to the readings I've done, an important clue is how much you enjoy the process.

It is similar to the process of learning to sing or play flute or produce a pitch running your wet finger over a crystal glass. There are many techniques taught and many analogies and images used to describe these processes. The bottom line is to find the technique that causes you to produce the sound you desire. Try running your wet finger across the rim of a crystal glass or blowing across the opening of a Coke bottle. You try different angles and pressures until you accidentally stumble upon the method that produces the sound you desire. Then you polish the technique around that successful accident to become consistent at it.

"Do, or do not. There is no try." -- Jedi Master Yoda

#363133 - 11/30/08 02:36 PM awesome show. great job [Re: Warlock Atreus]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Atreus
Faith healers have long utilized the subject's faith and belief in the actions of the healer to do so. An extension of this is the person who picks up the car that has fallen on their child. It doesn't occur to them that they can't do it. The martial artist who puts themselves in the mindset that allows them to pass their hand through a surface harder than their hand does this.

Nailed it...

#363264 - 12/01/08 12:25 PM Re: Law of Attraction [Re: DCLXVI]
Amberpocalypse Offline

Loc: Arizona
I personally believe in the Law of Attraction. I was raised by a terribly hypocritical, verbally & physically abusive stepmother. Oh, did I mention she's a christian? We went to church every sunday, and seemed like the church poster family or something. I tried to find "jesus", I begged for relief from her reign of terror. I got none. So in my head, I formed (what I thought was) the perfect "religion" or belief system, not knowing it was all in print, thanks to Mr. Lavey! I literally dreamed about the perfect life, thousands of miles away from my stepmom, living with my uncle or grandparents. After the last abusive straw from my dad, this is exactly what happened. Now, I DO live thousands of miles away from the demon I called "mom", and haven't spoken to her in years. Then I read The Secret, after TSB, and I kind of like utilizing ideas from BOTH books. Now, if I want/need something, I see it happening because I KNOW that I have the power to achieve what I need, and then I do the damn work to achieve it!

#363291 - 12/01/08 03:32 PM Re: Law of Attraction [Re: Amberpocalypse]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I have heard of the book, of course, but I have not read it. But on the subject of the will, which is what I assume we are talking about, it is amazing what can happen once someone actually makes up their mind about what they really want.

Most cannot, or will not, do that. I do not know if it is lack of initiative, lack of imagination or if, perhaps, some have a congenital defect in that area. I am actually coming to the conclusion that the latter is a reality. Though I think good old fashioned laziness is the issue for the majority. Once you have to have something, I have found it seems as if there is a magnet around you.

I truly do not know if we simply notice things related to that desire that were always there, or if perhaps more is at play here. Subjectively, it often appears to be more.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#364435 - 12/08/08 04:24 PM Re: Law of Attraction [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Sinestro Offline
BANNED

I've used this a number of times not realizing it. Still, not sure how it works. Using, the will or something. Putting out certain brain waves or thoughts.

Like driving a car I get in turn the key it runs. I get from point A to B. I have know idea how the engine works though.

I'm ready for the flame thrower again! Use Remote Influence Techniques. They list the law of attraction as one of their rules I believe I read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_viewing
http://www.geocities.com/area51/cavern/9912/remotev.htm
http://www.probablefuture.com/p558.htm
http://www.remoteinfluence.com/

Sinesto!

#365170 - 12/12/08 04:42 PM Re: Law of Attraction [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
SinisterSLA6669 Offline

Loc: Bay Area, California
Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
it is amazing what can happen once someone actually makes up their mind about what they really want.

ASLV
TSR
pg14(P)2&3

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12017 Members
73 Forums
43828 Topics
405224 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements