Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#352941 - 09/26/08 12:23 AM Re: Inside the Church of Satan now Available [Re: Perseus]
Butterball Offline

What about outside the Church of Satan? Doesn't that matter too? Anyways, I'm going to order a copy so that I can see Magus Gilmore on film, I really enjoy his speeches and writings. It will also be interesting to see the inside of Magister Lang's home and his ritual chamber.

#353054 - 09/26/08 06:26 PM Re: Inside the Church of Satan now Available [Re: Giovanni]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Please don't post links to the online version.
Prevention of Virtue

S Magazine 1 & 2
S Magazine 3

#354447 - 10/06/08 04:12 PM Re: Inside the Church of Satan now Available [Re: Colonel_Akula]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
My copy arrived this evening in a very nice discrete packing that wouldn't make anybody make a guess as to the contents coopdevil

Now after watching it - I was going to wait until the weekend, but couldn't resist - I feel this this calm that you get after reading a really good book or listening to a favorite piece of music.

Truly inspiring.

#354546 - 10/07/08 12:59 AM Re: Inside the Church of Satan now Available [Re: verszou]
ruraldean Offline

CoS Member

Loc: England
I received my copy here in England in under a week. Everyone's right - it doesn't come with a fanfare, but the movie itself is a well balanced view of what a Satanist believes, and how he lives (if he could afford to that is, Magister Lang smile ).

I particularly liked Colonel Acula's Benny Hill moment grin grin grin.

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."

-William Makepeace Thackeray, from The Social Pipe
http://ruraldean.wordpress.com

#354584 - 10/07/08 10:11 AM Re: Inside the Church of Satan now Available [Re: ruraldean]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: ruraldean
(if he could afford to that is, Magister Lang smile ).

Indeed, the Black House of the north is a thing to envy (and inspire).

Also - how does one meet women with larger Lovecraft collections than ones own? That sounds like quite an achievement in itself smile

#354709 - 10/07/08 11:11 PM Re: Inside the Church of Satan now Available [Re: Colonel_Akula]
Dan_Dread Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Having just viewed the DVD, I must say I am very impressed at how this was handled. For once Satanism is presented objectively.

I especially like how the people involved are presented as regular people, as opposed to the negative light documentary style films usually shed.

Kudos to everyone involved!
"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike and yet it is the most precious thing we have." - Albert Einstein --------------------

#432631 - 09/21/10 05:27 PM Re: Inside the Church of Satan now Available [Re: Colonel_Akula]
Igor616 Offline

Loc: Russia
Hell-o, Ladies and Gentlemen.
I'd like to buy the DVD, but my English is not so good. Are there any subtitles on the DVD? Let me know.
Thank you for your time.

#432643 - 09/21/10 05:53 PM Re: Inside the Church of Satan now Available [Re: Igor616]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Tried replying in Russian, but the board doesn't seem to like it...

There are no Russian subtitles on the DVD. I don't think tere are any subtitles at all. The film was very low budget.

Edited by LKRice (09/21/10 05:55 PM)
Prevention of Virtue

S Magazine 1 & 2
S Magazine 3

#432647 - 09/21/10 06:00 PM Re: Inside the Church of Satan now Available [Re: Colonel_Akula]
Igor616 Offline

Loc: Russia
There is no need to reply in Russian, but thank you anyway. There is no need for the russian subtitles, I'm able to read in English. Are there English subtitles on the DVD?
Thanks.

#432652 - 09/21/10 06:05 PM Re: Inside the Church of Satan now Available [Re: Igor616]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

I don't remember. I'm not sure where my copy is right now. Sounds like a good enough excuse to look for it. smile
Prevention of Virtue

S Magazine 1 & 2
S Magazine 3

#432681 - 09/21/10 11:22 PM Re: Inside the Church of Satan now Available [Re: Igor616]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

No, I'm afraid there are no subtitles on this DVD.

#433658 - 09/30/10 06:33 PM Re: Inside the Church of Satan now Available [Re: Colonel_Akula]
Lamar Drummer Offline

Loc: Alabama
Sorry for bringing up an old topic. I just ordered my copy and am ever anxious to watch it. I saw that someone in England had gotten there's in under a week, I ordered mine like 2 days ago so I am hopefull mine will be hear in under a week as well. If only time would speed up.

Shit Lamar Says

#434119 - 10/04/10 03:21 AM Re: Inside the Church of Satan now Available [Re: Colonel_Akula]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

Since this topic was brought up again, it made me re-watch the film and I thought I would share my impressions.

It's a beautiful work. I have enjoyed the humour occuring during whole piece, and also the charm of interviewed beings. It is beautiful not only from the religious point, but from an emotional point as well. Watching it brought to me a truly content and pleased smile, and that feeling is what I keep in myself as my perception of the Church of Satan.

Everyone who was involved did a wonderful job. Also, I praise the foreigner-friendly English articulation. wink

And... The sound of words 'He was a serious Satanist!' in present context is priceless. smile

#434147 - 10/04/10 02:14 PM Re: Inside the Church of Satan now Available [Re: Colonel_Akula]
Lamar Drummer Offline

Loc: Alabama
I finally got to watch it. I loved the humor in it as well, namely when Magister Lang was talking about the preacher saying something about the key to heaven then looks to Magister Lang and says "Do you have the key?" priceless. Magister Langs house is amazing. I bet the worth of the house with all of his trappings comes close to a million U.S. dollars. I had no idea that Reverend David Harris was interviewed in this movie, which was a plus. I love listening to Satanism Today. Peter H. Gilmore gave a remarkable interview as always. It was a well made film and I will continue to watch it religiously.

Shit Lamar Says

#434430 - 10/07/10 09:45 AM Re: Inside the Church of Satan now Available [Re: Colonel_Akula]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I enjoyed watching the film, but have a few criticisms.

In terms of being a strict documentary, I don't think this film hits the mark. It is not clear to the viewer who is and who is not a member of the Church of Satan. Warren interjects interviews with a few psychics and scenes of his nude girlfriend into the film. We, as Satanists, can distinguish between CoS and non-CoS, but I'm not certain the lay viewer would be able.

The interviews with the CoS are excellent. Although, it is clear that Warren does not "get" Satanism, as you find him pressing issues to some interviewees that are irrelevant to Satanists.

For example, Warren seemed incredulous that Magister Harris refused to consider a "Satanic" world, or mass conversion, or what a world would be like if only Satanists existed on the planet. Harris refuses the notion because it's completely counter to the Satanic worldview. Warren presses him because he doesn't understand why a religion does not have such an evangelical worldview; he assumes that we would naturally.

Another example is the interview with Christopher Mealie and Stephanie Crabe. Warren, again, seems unconvinced that Mealie and Crabe are monogamous, and you can hear the doubt in his voice. Mealie dealt with this in biting humour.

These are not huge problems, as the film provides some excellent insight into the Church of Satan. However, it's not great documentary making either, as he does not approach the content with a strictly objective stance. Apart from those small issues, Warren does not make fun of the CoS, and he seems genuinely interested on his topic, which works in his favour.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12018 Members
73 Forums
43828 Topics
405224 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements