05/06/08 10:19 PM
05/06/08 10:19 PM
United Kingdom
Memento Offline OP

CoS Member
Memento  Offline OP

CoS Member

United Kingdom
Meditation, as I am sure a lot of you know, is not simply a practice only engaged in by Buddhists but is done by some people regardless of their faith and this includes atheists. I am not talking about opening up your 'chakras' or achieving divinity of any kind as we know these are foolish things to aim for, but I was wondering if any Satanists here meditate to relax, reduce stress, and somehow balance themselves?

Thanks.

Re: Meditation? [Re: Memento] #326206
05/06/08 10:36 PM
05/06/08 10:36 PM
D
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock
DickSteele  Offline
CoS Warlock
D

I have heard many people say that Meditation is only one thing, and that it is about NOT thinking, or whatever.

To meditate means to think deeply, or to form a plan.

Personally, I think that there are many ways to meditate.

Sleeping is one, daydreaming, drawing, playing an instrument, exercise, work. There are many ways in which one can meditate.

Although people may disagree with me, I think that ritual in and of itself is meditation even though it does go further than that.

I see meditation simply as a way to calm the mind

Re: Meditation? [Re: DickSteele] #326209
05/06/08 11:08 PM
05/06/08 11:08 PM
Germany
Auge Offline
Auge  Offline

Germany
There are indeed many ways to meditate. Different 'schools' favor different wayS, one just has to find the most fitting for oneself.

Personally, I prefer Tai Chi Chuan, this is the thing that works best and I have had many interesting experiences and effects using it.

Alle Wesen bisher schufen etwas über sich hinaus: und ihr wollt die Ebbe dieser großen Flut sein und lieber noch zum Tiere zurückgehn, als den Menschen überwinden?
- Friedrich Nietzsche
I assume... [Re: Memento] #326211
05/06/08 11:30 PM
05/06/08 11:30 PM
Point Nemo in Pacific Ocean
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister
Nemo  Offline
CoS Magister

I assume you are referring to methods that can elicit the relaxation response, which is the mirror image of the fight or flight response. The relaxation response was so named by former professor of cardiology at the Harvard Medical School, Herbert Benson, MD, and when he first completed his initial research studies found six different methods that produced this condition.

As the relaxation response reverses the negative effects of stress, boosts creativity, IQ and a rather hard to believe long list of other equally real benefits, it would hardly be surprising to find it a popular tool for the Satanist to use.

Further, since it has become push-button simple to access by utilizing theta brain wave audio pulses (easily embedded into music) that drive these states, taking fifteen minutes a day to do something that feels good and is very good for you on every level is a no brainer.

In the pre-electronics era learning how to attain such psycho-physiological states was very hit or miss. People today still flock to blurry descriptions and instructions regarding such items.

I urge anyone serious about caring for themselves to learn about the numerous hard science breakthroughs in this area of what began as simple biofeedback in the early seventies with Elmer and Alyce Greeene at the Menninger Institute with their Human Potential program.

Much has been learned and much can be put to immediate use.

Welcome to the twenty-first century! cool

Re: I assume... [Re: Nemo] #326219
05/06/08 11:59 PM
05/06/08 11:59 PM
D
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock
DickSteele  Offline
CoS Warlock
D

Would one of those "psycho-physiological states" be neurolinguistic programming?

Don't know much about that other than that I have done it, and that it works.

Re: I assume... [Re: DickSteele] #326239
05/07/08 02:07 AM
05/07/08 02:07 AM
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister
Nemo  Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:
Would one of those "psycho-physiological states" be neurolinguistic programming?

Not really. NLP is a system for communication and change.

The states I refer to here are specific psycho-physiological conditions which have clearly defined and verifiable measures such as galvanic skin response, EEG, etc.

One simple method I alluded to in attaining these states is through the use of brainstate entrainment recordings. Simply put, you can "drive" specific brainwave states by being exposed to the appropriate rhythms. Theta rhythms are conducive for attaining the relaxation response, for example.

Re: Meditation? [Re: Memento] #326248
05/07/08 03:09 AM
05/07/08 03:09 AM
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister
Phineas  Offline
CoS Magister

How do you know opening chakras is foolish?

"Consensus is the absence of leadership." Margaret Thatcher

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll
Re: Meditation? [Re: Memento] #326263
05/07/08 04:33 AM
05/07/08 04:33 AM
Calgary
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member
TheDegenerate  Offline
CoS Member

Calgary
If one is using meditation specifically to open a channel to yak with the God-meister, then I agree, it is about as idiotic as prayer. However, as everyone else here has stated, meditation can be an effective and powerful tool. I use it myself from time to time, usually before bed, to enhance my sleep, and open the possibility up for lucid dreaming, which I find to be an extremely gratifying and often enlightening experience. Methods are different for everyone, and achieving "no thought" is very difficult at first. But when I get to that state, my brain seems to open up a whole new channel of subconcious thought, and it is quite refreshing and relaxing.

To rip off an unrelated quote from the Simpsons, meditation "has all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, and paying attention."

I think it is important for the Satanist to consider ALL things, whether they come from a specifically religious background or not, as an effective tool...IF it gives them results. If it gives no apparent gratifying results, be they mental OR physical, and is found to be a waste of time altogether, then I personally wouldn't waste my time with it; ESPECIALLY if I am just looking for a cheap quick way to "gab with God." Yuck.

Re: Meditation? [Re: TheDegenerate] #326279
05/07/08 08:30 AM
05/07/08 08:30 AM
USA
Queen Shiba Offline
CoS Member
Queen Shiba  Offline
CoS Member

USA
I've been awake since 3:30 a.m. EST. Migraine. I took my migraine medicine, and could not relax. So,I thought I would see what is new here on LttD. Here I find a discussion about meditation.

I have never been good at meditation. For me, I have found it very hard to relax my brain. But, with this migraine, pounding my head with pain, I wonder, does anyone know of anything I can look into, that would help me when I get a migraine? cry

YOU ARE DEEP, DARK AND LOVELY.

Re: Meditation? [Re: Memento] #326286
05/07/08 08:57 AM
05/07/08 08:57 AM
Israel
The_Lightning Offline
The_Lightning  Offline

Israel
I find that breathing right is the main and best meditation tool.
My yoga teacher often says "breath in the Life Force", which might sound silly, but when allowing an abundance of oxygen into your body you indeed feel more lively and vital then before.
The breathing, when focused upon, becomes a rhythmic, calming action and takes your mind off of unrelated things.

But anything can be a meditation.
Washing dishes, for example, is one of those things you wouldn't guess can become meditative, but the act of cleansing with warm water is can become a sort of symbolic purifying action.

Then of course- there is also sitting on the toilet…. wink

There is no such thing as evolution - Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Re: Meditation? [Re: TheDegenerate] #326288
05/07/08 09:24 AM
05/07/08 09:24 AM
Germany
Auge Offline
Auge  Offline

Germany
Originally Posted By: Phosis
Methods are different for everyone, and achieving "no thought" is very difficult at first.

I'd also claim that not all schools of meditation try to achieve something that could be described as "no-thought". I'd rether describe it as a state of completely stressless focus.
Having ones thoughts drift and vanish into nothingness may be interesting and relaxing, but there are much more gratifying and useful states to attain.

Haven't had such states often, that might take another few years of training. But I feel that working hard and focused on it, is an accomplishment in its own right.

Alle Wesen bisher schufen etwas über sich hinaus: und ihr wollt die Ebbe dieser großen Flut sein und lieber noch zum Tiere zurückgehn, als den Menschen überwinden?
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Re: Meditation? [Re: Queen Shiba] #326294
05/07/08 11:53 AM
05/07/08 11:53 AM
Lust Offline
Lust  Offline

Try taking a Midol, then rub pure peppermint oil on your temples and neck.

�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible
Re: Meditation? [Re: The_Lightning] #326302
05/07/08 12:33 PM
05/07/08 12:33 PM
A Trailer Park
Shade Offline
CoS Witch
Shade  Offline
CoS Witch

A Trailer Park
Originally Posted By: The_Lightning
The breathing, when focused upon, becomes a rhythmic, calming action and takes your mind off of unrelated things.

This is not easy! At least not for me. I think I may be confused with the wording but, for me, because meditation is a form of focus it takes concerted effort. I think I may be confusing “relaxed” with “passive”. I can see how meditation would potentially be relaxing but it does not seem like a passive activity at all. When I think of meditation I don't think of day-dreaming, I think of discipline. Lightning, I’m pretty sure you know what I’m talking about but wanted to make that distinction clear for others.

I do this exercise - breathe in for four counts, breathe out for eight, while moving my tummy not my chest - and it is incredibly difficult to maintain this for any length of time. It takes practice! One minute feels like one hour. If anyone reading this thinks I’m joking just stop for a minute and try it. Or try to focus on any one thing, and one thing only, for as long as you can. Only one thing. How long does it take before you are reduced to a fidgety hyperactive eight year old?

People, these days, seem so chaotic. It would be nice if MTV editing and cable modem speed meant we all could instantly think faster but really, all it seems to have done is left the masses agog in a drooling mushy mess of lazy distraction. I think "multi-tasking" is kind of taken to the extreme. Or maybe there is so much to pay attention to no one pays attention to anything, not really anyways. People "driving" cars while yakking on their cell phones is a great example.

Now I’m not saying that quick-fire observations, snap judgments, or hyper-sped processing of information is impossible but I absolutely believe it takes work and time to train yourself. There is a very interesting book called “Blink” by Malcolm Gladwell that takes a look at this topic.

Oi, I really didn’t start writing this intent on ranting away but inattention and sloppy thinking is a huge pet peeve of mine (because it’s something I am painfully aware that I do). Meditation seems to be the discipline of controlling that process and, in that sense, I think I’m probably not the only one who could reap huge rewards from it.

"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People
Re: I assume... [Re: Nemo] #326306
05/07/08 12:54 PM
05/07/08 12:54 PM
shadowraven213 Offline
shadowraven213  Offline

Thank you Magister I immediately started to experiment with this and had immediate success.

It is a fascinating area thank you for pointing the way.

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
Charles Mackay - 1814-1889
Scottish poet, journalist, and song writer.
Re: Meditation? [Re: Queen Shiba] #326310
05/07/08 01:09 PM
05/07/08 01:09 PM
Australia
AurEum Offline
CoS Member
AurEum  Offline
CoS Member

Australia
There was a study a few years ago that found caffeine to be helpful in treating migraines. If I catch a migraine relatively early (before it's reached full force) I take an excedrin (which contains caffeine) and go to bed (completely dark room, no noise). Usually I wake up my migraine is gone. If that's not a possibility and I can't do anything until it's a full tilt migraine I take medication (I found that Midrin works best for me, but here is an article Comparing Midrin and Imitrex).

I've found that the real key to managing migraines is to prevent them. Keep a log of everything that was going on in the 24 hours prior to the onset (where you tired, extremely stressed out, hungry, did you over exert yourself, etc.). After doing this for a while you'll learn what your triggers are. My main trigger is extreme stress coupled with lack of sleep. So now I do my best to avoid putting myself in that situation. I went from having a migraine every other week to getting one maybe 4 times a year now.

I hope you're feeling better!

** former username Ealaiontor **

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Forum Statistics
Forums73
Topics44,559
Posts408,092
Members13,351
Most Online227
Sep 17th, 2018
Advertisements

hold
Page Time: 0.043s Queries: 15 (0.030s) Memory: 3.3817 MB (Peak: 3.6833 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-09-24 15:37:57 UTC