Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#456751 - 07/26/11 08:44 PM Re: Love [Re: NapalmNick]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Does being in love cause people to do (or at least be more likely to do) irrational things? Yes, just as much as intense hate for someone can do the same. In either case it's up to the individual experiencing the emotions to have enough sense to enjoy it without being a complete ass.

Exactly. Who says you have to be perfectly rational all the damn time?

Small wonder it takes Evil Spock to make this point.

#456796 - 07/27/11 03:51 PM Re: Love [Re: reprobate]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: reprobate
Who says you have to be perfectly rational all the damn time?

The hard-core atheists, I've noticed. Apparently many of them have been duped into the false dichotomy of "either you don't believe in a deity and you dogmatically maintain rationality 24-7, or you believe in a deity and allow for a life of unfounded fantasies." No wonder so many of them seem humorless!

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#456801 - 07/27/11 05:52 PM Re: Love [Re: Bill_M]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Bill_M
The hard-core atheists, I've noticed. Apparently many of them have been duped into the false dichotomy of "either you don't believe in a deity and you dogmatically maintain rationality 24-7, or you believe in a deity and allow for a life of unfounded fantasies." No wonder so many of them seem humorless!

Indeed. It's almost like it's an unspoken rule. I used to have a similar attitude, and really, you miss out on so much.

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#456814 - 07/27/11 09:41 PM Re: Love [Re: NapalmNick]
AdamBomb Offline

Richard Dawkins is actually a strong agnostic even though he commercializes himself an Atheist everywhere he goes, Frank Zappa didn't care and Henry Rollins don't seem to care too much either what he is and as for me, yes I'm a hardcore atheist, AND I also believe it is IMPOSSIBLE to act rationally all the time. It's just like being completely fearless, it's impossible.

#456819 - 07/27/11 10:21 PM Re: Love [Re: AdamBomb]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.

"I am agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at the bottom of the garden."
-Richard Dawkins

Richard Dawkins is a "strong agnostic"?

That comment reminds me of the humorous saying that some Christians love to toss about: "Einstein, oh yeah, he was a Christian".

#456824 - 07/27/11 10:50 PM Re: Love [Re: AdamBomb]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Quote:
yes I'm a hardcore atheist, AND I also believe it is IMPOSSIBLE to act rationally all the time.

Yeah, okay, but the point is this. You said that love is a mental weakness, because people who are in love act irrationally. I don't know about the others replying to you, but for my part, I don't think love is a mental weakness at all. It's a strength. It makes us bolder, and it gives us something in our lives worth taking risks for. Those are both good.

I wouldn't expect you to get this, seeing as how, by your own admission, you've never been in love. Maybe you don't know the difference between infatuation and love, and think everyone who says they're in love actually means they're infatuated.

#456832 - 07/27/11 11:42 PM Re: Love [Re: reprobate]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

I don't know about the others replying to you, but for my part, I don't think love is a mental weakness at all. It's a strength. It makes us bolder, and it gives us something in our lives worth taking risks for. Those are both good.

I agree. I wouldn't personally go so far as to say that love is "absolutely necessary" or that it's "all we need" or any of that crap, but I'm definitely not afraid of it.

I wouldn't expect you to get this, seeing as how, by your own admission, you've never been in love. Maybe you don't know the difference between infatuation and love, and think everyone who says they're in love actually means they're infatuated.

But wouldn't you say that even infatuation can have positive results? And that with time and circumstance what starts as simple infatuation can transform into love. Just a thought.

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#456833 - 07/27/11 11:43 PM Re: Love [Re: reprobate]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
Exactly, love isn't the mental disorder, love is the drug:

Yeah I know it's irrelevant but I just really wanted to post that scene.

#456842 - 07/28/11 12:28 AM Re: Love [Re: NapalmNick]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Quote:
But wouldn't you say that even infatuation can have positive results? And that with time and circumstance what starts as simple infatuation can transform into love. Just a thought.

It's certainly a pleasure, and I don't see why it shouldn't be indulged. Who doesn't get a crush sometimes? And sure, that can turn into love. Good point.

In the case of infatuation, though, I think it's important to keep perspective. Infatuation can lead us to miscalculate our values and misjudge our actions; and that differs from the real risk and real sacrifice involved in love, properly speaking. I suspect AdamBomb is confusing the two.

#456847 - 07/28/11 02:16 AM Re: Love [Re: reprobate]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Infatuation can lead us to miscalculate our values and misjudge our actions; and that differs from the real risk and real sacrifice involved in love, properly speaking. I suspect AdamBomb is confusing the two.

Ah yes, of course. That does appear to be the case.

#456850 - 07/28/11 02:28 AM Re: Love [Re: AdamBomb]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
I fall in love easily and I fall out of it just as easily. wink

Being rational about emotions, all of the time, will make for a very dull life, all of the time.

Real love exists, I've seen it.

I've seen a man continue on with a woman that couldn't wipe her own ass, but when he looked at her, I didn't see an ounce of disgust on his face, all I saw was the shine in the eyes of a starstruck young boy looking at the first pair of blue eyes that stopped him dead cold in his tracks.

Look around you man, it's everywhere, in people just like you and me. When you watch people long enough, you learn to see that look, that little gesture that says "you're enough for me".

Find it, hold on to it and don't push it away, your life will be richer, even during the poor times and the droughts.

#456853 - 07/28/11 04:28 AM Re: Love [Re: NapalmNick]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Originally Posted By: NapalmNick
WUT.

grin grin grin

Missedya, Nickie. grin

I like love. It's the most socially acceptable form of crazy ever. I once read the most dangerous guy a woman is likely to meet is the one who says he loves her. In a real Shakespearean sense, love is certainly at the blood-pumping heart of the more memorable stories, art, music, newspaper headlines, etc. I'm betting a roll of crime scene tape life would be a lot less gory without love. How depressingly sterile.

I submit my post with a soundtrack. I like this song because it has lyrics I can remember. Lyrics like, "AAAAAAaaaaaaAAAAAAAaaaaaaa..." grin

"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#456862 - 07/28/11 09:50 AM Re: Love [Re: Poetaster]
AdamBomb Offline

Strong Agnostic meaning not weak agnostic. The level of agnostic where you live your life under the assumption there is no God.
He explained it in God Delusion at one point and you can probably find the footage on youtube as well.

But in any case, it really does not matter what anyone is.

Love is not a mental disorder. If anything, I said falling in love is a mental weakness. That does not mean it a bad thing either, you can put your perspective and say it's a mental liberation or strength. It's really how you choose to look at things sometimes. That's the way I look at it.

#456894 - 07/29/11 07:59 AM Re: Love [Re: Delta]
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
Nothing Beats Roxy Music devilchili

#456896 - 07/29/11 08:07 AM Re: Love [Re: AdamBomb]
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: AdamBomb
Strong Agnostic meaning not weak agnostic. The level of agnostic where you live your life under the assumption there is no God.
He explained it in God Delusion at one point and you can probably find the footage on youtube as well.

But in any case, it really does not matter what anyone is.

Love is not a mental disorder. If anything, I said falling in love is a mental weakness. That does not mean it a bad thing either, you can put your perspective and say it's a mental liberation or strength. It's really how you choose to look at things sometimes. That's the way I look at it.

Falling in love is not a mental weakness if there's real love behind the falling in love feeling wink

Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >

Forum Stats
12282 Members
73 Forums
43882 Topics
404447 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements